PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to be on Hard Knocks...

fansince'76
03-24-2014, 08:47 PM
It's practically guaranteed now. Tomlin pretty much sealed the deal with this:

Steelers Mike Tomlin Calls HBO Hard Knocks "A Joke" (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/03/steelers-mike-tomlin-calls-hbo-hard-knocks-a-joke/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=steelers-mike-tomlin-calls-hbo-hard-knocks-a-joke)

steelerdude15
03-24-2014, 08:50 PM
We'll see when they make the decision this summer. I hope its not us.

Shoes
03-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Who comes up with this stupid trash?

fansince'76
03-24-2014, 08:54 PM
We'll see when they make the decision this summer. I hope its not us.

They said on the clip from KDKA accompanying the story that one of the "qualifications" of being picked is that a team has to have missed the playoffs two years in a row - I wasn't aware of that. As if teams who have missed the playoffs at least two seasons in a row really need that kind of distraction. Just one more reason to get back to the postseason.

I wouldn't be afraid to put money on it that it's going to be us. Especially as one more way to punish Tomlin for "Sidelinegate," since he seems to be vehemently opposed to the idea. If they do get picked, I hope they're as unaccommodating and uncooperative as possible. And if I'm Tomlin, my office is also strictly off limits to any cameras when I'm cutting a player.

tube517
03-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Not really liking this but HBO wants ratings. Somebody in HBO is part of Steeler Nation and knows that the Steelers bring ratings.

Psycho Ward 86
03-24-2014, 11:01 PM
yeah i mean goodell couldnt let us get away with sideline gate so easily could he? and the ratings for hbo would go bonkers with all the extra people watching because of tomlin's comments. not to mention steeler nation is just massive. im right with you on this one fansince76...

salamander
03-25-2014, 12:03 AM
Mehh...

zulater
03-25-2014, 04:51 AM
I'm fine with it if it happens. Can anyone tell me how Hard Knocks adversely affected the Bengals last season? So are we suggesting the Steelers are less able to deal with this than the Bengals? I get the team not wanting it, but the fans? To me this is tremendous for a Steelers fan! I've been to training camp a few times over the year, but even when you go there you don't get a peek behind the curtain. So if this happens, this makes my summer even better. And I promise this wont make one bit of difference in the win-loss column for the upcoming season. And if you can't sell me how it will, I really don't see what your complaint is, other than you're just naturally opposed to anything mandated by the league.

Moose
03-25-2014, 06:35 AM
The way the Steeler's been the past couple season, how can it hurt ? Who really cares if they are on it or not ? I could care less. Maybe I'll even tune in periodically to see what the hell's happening, even though I try not to get too wrapped up in off-season BS from the talking sport heads ( who don't know anymore of anything than all of us). So, I'll have to agree with Zulater on this one, if they are picked good.....it's not going to make/break the upcoming season.

86WARD
03-25-2014, 08:41 AM
There's really no reason for them NOT to select the Steelers. There are plenty of story lines (older veterans leaving, being cut, new veteran players coming in, etc. - stuff that doesn't happen in Pittsburgh in the amount that it has this off-season) and if Harrison were to return, you could probably bet your mortgage on them picking Pittsburgh. I'd look forward to watching it...not really sure it's a big distraction and not really sure you can prove either way that it is or isn't...

zulater
03-25-2014, 11:53 AM
It will either be the Steelers or the Giants.

Of course if it's the Giants they can just do a segment on Eli face! :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
03-25-2014, 12:29 PM
It will either be the Steelers or the Giants.

Of course if it's the Giants they can just do a segment on Eli face! :chuckle:

I can see it now. 10 minutes of this face.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/ynadese8.jpg

MrPgh
03-26-2014, 04:31 PM
So if the NFL chooses the Steelers and the Steelers try to keep the Hard Knocks crew away anyways, what would the punishment be? Seven figure fines? Docking 2015 draft picks? Both?

HollywoodSteel
03-26-2014, 08:18 PM
I hope the Steelers do get selected. First of all, we'd all watch and be way more interested than ever before. Second, screw Tomlin and his opinion about it. You don't want to do it? Don't lose the first four games of a season. It's not like he could do a worse job of decision making with the cameras there than he did without them. Maybe he's afraid of being exposed once you see that the man behind the speech-curtain isn't all that impressive.

That said, I'd love to be proven wrong about Tomlin. I'm genuinely interested to see if there's something he actually does well. Plus it would just be gold if James Harrison comes back and has to deal with it two years in a row. We need to lock him up quick before he realizes what's gonna happen.

zulater
03-27-2014, 05:59 AM
So if the NFL chooses the Steelers and the Steelers try to keep the Hard Knocks crew away anyways, what would the punishment be? Seven figure fines? Docking 2015 draft picks? Both?
If they're chosen they will comply. The Rooney's were part of the vote that compel's a team to participate, so they will see to it that Tomlin and company does what is required of them.

Butch
03-27-2014, 06:57 AM
I'm fine with it if it happens. Can anyone tell me how Hard Knocks adversely affected the Bengals last season? So are we suggesting the Steelers are less able to deal with this than the Bengals? I get the team not wanting it, but the fans? To me this is tremendous for a Steelers fan! I've been to training camp a few times over the year, but even when you go there you don't get a peek behind the curtain. So if this happens, this makes my summer even better. And I promise this wont make one bit of difference in the win-loss column for the upcoming season. And if you can't sell me how it will, I really don't see what your complaint is, other than you're just naturally opposed to anything mandated by the league.

Let me say right up front I have NEVER seen even one episode of this show, so I don't really know what it's about. I still can't help but think this will be a distraction for any team that is selected. If it wasn't a distraction how come teams that make the playoffs don't get picked?

Zulater I like your comment about the Bungles, but I have to ask how many times have they been on this show? Here is another thought if the bungles can be on there so many times what's to say they won't do the same with the Steelers if they fail to make the playoffs again?

Again I have never seen the show, but I shudder at the thought of being stuck in Hard Knocks hell.

I am partially against it because it's the media and I hate how much media influences Go To Hell's decisions. I also really can't help, but think this is nothing but a distraction.

I do want to know what the Hell Tomlin was thinking when he made these comments. If you don't want to be on it then don't draw attention to yourself. I think deep down he really does want it.

zulater
03-27-2014, 09:51 AM
History of Hard Knocks participants, season before, season of, season after.

2001 Ravens. Season before 12-4 Super Bowl winner. Season of, 10-6 wildcard, 2nd round elimination. Year after 7-9.

2002 Cowboys. Season before 5-11, season of 5-11, season after 10-6 wildcard, 1st round elimination.

2007 Chiefs. Season before 9-7 widlcard 1st round elimination, year of 4-12, year after 2-14.

2008 Cowboys. Season before 13-3 divisional playoff loser, season of 9-7, season after 11-5 winner wildcard playoff game, loser in divisional round

2009 Bengals. Previous season 4-11-1, season of 10-6 division winner, loser in WC playoff round, season after 4-12

2010 Jets . Season before 9-7 won two playoff games lost in AFC champ. Season of 11-5 won 2 playoff games lost in AFC champ, season after 8-8

2012 Dolphins. Season before 6-10, season of 7-9, season after 8-8.

2013 Bengals. Season before 10-6 wildcard team, loser in WC round. , season of 11-5 division winner WC playoff round loser. Season after ?

I don't see any clear pattern here? I would say historically it's proven to have no real effect on a team's season. Come week 1 you are what you are.

fansince'76
03-27-2014, 10:29 AM
I hope the Steelers do get selected. First of all, we'd all watch and be way more interested than ever before. Second, screw Tomlin and his opinion about it. You don't want to do it? Don't lose the first four games of a season. It's not like he could do a worse job of decision making with the cameras there than he did without them. Maybe he's afraid of being exposed once you see that the man behind the speech-curtain isn't all that impressive.
I think an argument can very reasonably be made that if he really sucks that badly as a coach, the team probably wouldn't have finished 6-2 to finish out the year last season. They would've much more likely rolled over and died and wound up with a top-5 pick (see: Texans and Falcons), especially with most of the team's veteran leadership already gone (Ward, Farrior, Harrison, etc.) which was also no small reason for the 0-4 start to begin with. We had a similar purge of veterans after winning SB XL, and lo and behold, we started 2-6 in 2006 too.

And the bottom line remains that if Leavy and his crew had bothered to do their damn jobs correctly, the Steelers would have went to the playoffs instead of the Chargers and we wouldn't even be having this discussion now.

I also think Tomlin has made it pretty clear that he doesn't really give two shits what people outside of the organization think of him. Nor should he. If he did, he wouldn't have been nearly as candid about his thoughts on Hard Knocks in the first place. Afraid of being "exposed?" Doubtful.

HollywoodSteel
03-28-2014, 09:16 AM
I think an argument can very reasonably be made that if he really sucks that badly as a coach, the team probably wouldn't have finished 6-2 to finish out the year last season. They would've much more likely rolled over and died and wound up with a top-5 pick (see: Texans and Falcons), especially with most of the team's veteran leadership already gone (Ward, Farrior, Harrison, etc.) which was also no small reason for the 0-4 start to begin with. We had a similar purge of veterans after winning SB XL, and lo and behold, we started 2-6 in 2006 too.

And the bottom line remains that if Leavy and his crew had bothered to do their damn jobs correctly, the Steelers would have went to the playoffs instead of the Chargers and we wouldn't even be having this discussion now.

I also think Tomlin has made it pretty clear that he doesn't really give two shits what people outside of the organization think of him. Nor should he. If he did, he wouldn't have been nearly as candid about his thoughts on Hard Knocks in the first place. Afraid of being "exposed?" Doubtful.

The being exposed thing was a bit of a joke. I am genuinely interested in seeing how he operates. How he conducts practices. Watches film. I doubt we'd get to see all of it, but I always find it fascinating when they show guys like Bilichick or Gruden, who are true students of the game, work behind the scenes. I'm just interested to know how Tomlin ticks. He usually claims that they are so focused they don't let anything be a distraction. We know he isn't some kind of mad genius who is hiding some secret strategy from the world. I don't know what he's afraid of.

And some seasons of Hard Knocks are very entertaining. It's a cool way to see some of the lesser draft picks working hard to make the team. I'd certainly rather see that on the Steelers than any other team.

And if you want to know why I want JH back, watch this from last year's Hard Knocks. It's not just about strength. It's about will and mental toughness. As you'll see, he wins the battle before it even gets started: http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Hard-Knocks-James-Harrison-arm-wrestling-champ/72c36445-2294-4767-8312-322845a2d8d7

Hawkman
03-28-2014, 03:21 PM
I don't think Tomlin is afraid of anything, I just think he imagines it as an irritating distraction. Having been around a number of TV and commercial productions, I can tell you that it will definitely be a distraction, no matter how much they say they won't be in the way.

Count Steeler
03-28-2014, 03:47 PM
If we do train with the Bills, maybe the cameras will do split times. However, as zu has pointed out, has no affect on the team.

one side only
04-30-2014, 07:11 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/ Dale Lolley says the Steelers are probably one of the three finalists. Let's hope they pick Manning or Cutler over Ben.

Hawkman
04-30-2014, 10:00 PM
It's going to happen!! Might as well get it over with.

salamander
04-30-2014, 10:41 PM
I'll definitely watch it, regardless of how many people don't want it to happen.

Bluecoat96
05-01-2014, 05:50 AM
Honestly, I would really consider getting HBO if the Steelers were on Hard Knocks.

Kittyfish
05-01-2014, 08:34 AM
My main problem with the steelers appearing on hard knocks would be that I don't get hbo, nor does anybody I know, so I couldn't watch it!

Please excuse lack of capitalization etc - having problems with my computer and am still learning how to deal with my kindle.

vader29
06-12-2014, 11:37 AM

polamalubeast
06-12-2014, 11:39 AM
:bananalama:

Shoes
06-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Good news!

fansince'76
06-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Yes! Happy to be wrong on this one. :applaudit:

Now, time to get back to the postseason so our fate isn't in douchnozzle's hands next offseason.

86WARD
06-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Damn.