PDA

View Full Version : Cornerbacks still not catching on

LLT
08-14-2010, 03:31 AM
Cornerbacks still not catching on
Saturday, August 14, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers and Detroit Lions will honor new Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau before tonight's game at Heinz Field and some of his current players no doubt will wear his No. 44 replica Lions uniform to again show their support.

There is another way in which the Steelers cornerbacks could give tribute to their beloved defensive coordinator. They could intercept a pass or two.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10226/1080022-66.stm#ixzz0wZEHVpvh

solardave
08-14-2010, 04:54 AM
Just intercept the ball and the problem is solved. Ike puts himself in place but drops most of them. If he could learn to catch he make the probowl. Mac can catch and needs to close quickly. Is Lewis the nickle this year or is Gay. either one needs to step up.

steeldawg
08-14-2010, 05:23 AM
I agree Ike Taylor cannot catch!! You would think he would improve on this but so far in his career he has not. With that being said i think he is one of the best coverguys in the league.

ALLD
08-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Ike should practice with the WRs to develop some kind of hands.

Galax Steeler
08-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Ike should practice with the WRs to develop some kind of hands.

That is what I am thinking as well it could only help him in catching the ball.

HometownGal
08-14-2010, 07:31 AM
"When the opportunity comes, plays will be made," insists cornerback Bryant McFadden. "Being where you need to be is most important. Sometimes, being where you need to be is good enough and then catch them when they hit your hands."

A-freakin'-MEN! :thumbsup:

Turnovers are going to be key for our D this season as a turnover machine is one of the key components which exemplifies a Pittsburgh Steelers defense. I really hope we see a vast improvement in that area this season. :pray:

Kaeg
08-14-2010, 08:22 AM
I just realized how significant it is to be honoring Lebeau the night we play the Lions. That's pretty cool. (Yea, so I'm a little slow. I got it now.)

Butch
08-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Gotta agree with McFadden.

Love an Int just as much as anyone but if you ask me priority #1 is to cover the guy and keep him from catching the ball. Concentrate on that and the Int's will come and you will get inside the guy's head, look at T.O.. I love what Ike does but lord knows if he could catch we wouldn't be able to afford him. Concentrate on the coverage.

As for the key to this season will be how well B.A. can adjust to life without Ben and running the ball when the time calls for it.

Sorry HTG just couldn't resist.

Killer
08-14-2010, 09:16 AM
We're not gonna rebuild our secondary with late rd draft picks. That didn't work for the O-line either.

We need a #1 corner.

SteelerSal
08-14-2010, 09:25 AM
We're not gonna rebuild our secondary with late rd draft picks. That didn't work for the O-line either.

We need a #1 corner.

Have'nt had much luck in the recent past with early round picks either. (Scott, Cokely(I know..spelling LOL)

Butch
08-14-2010, 09:49 AM
I think we will be fine in the 2ndary my big concern will be the run game how good are the backs we have and how many oppertunities will they get to prove themselves? If the run game is fine the 2ndary will be good too.

Don't get me wrong I want to see the pass as well but the run will be key.

Wallace108
08-14-2010, 10:13 AM
This got buried in the story, but it's certainly encouraging:

[Crezdon] Butler has practiced at cornerback, nickel back and safety and should play all three tonight. Usually, the Steelers give rookies one position to play their first season -- e.g. Ziggy Hood at left defensive end in 2009 -- but Butler became such a fast learner they expanded his role.

"He can do anything we ask him to," Horton said. "He's going to get exposure."

Killer
08-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Have'nt had much luck in the recent past with early round picks either.

(Cokely(I know..spelling LOL)

yeah - but the odds are a 1st rd pick will stick

My old x-box Madden from 05 called him 'Coldclaw' - I laughed every time

Chidi29
08-14-2010, 11:37 AM
We haven't had a ball hawking cornerback in a long time. We don't need one; we've won without it. It's not an aggressive scheme with regards to our cornerbacks anyway. I'd rather have our cornerbacks be physical and reliable tacklers in this defense than anything else. Troy is our playmaker (which also makes it an even bigger loss when he's not playing).

A #1 CB isn't needed. Heck, we've only drafted two in the first round since '79. Woodson and Scott.

SteelerFanInStl
08-14-2010, 01:17 PM
The two corners who have surprised Horton the most with their play this summer are, surprisingly, rookie Crezdon Butler, a fifth-round draft choice from Clemson, and veteran special teams ace Anthony Madison, cut before last season but re-signed in December to help avert more disaster in the kicking game.

It sounds like Lewis and Burnett better step up their games. I wasn't expecting much from Butler but I'm excited to hear this. Madison has been great on ST. If he can step it up and be a good backup DB, that'd be great.