PDA

View Full Version : Harrison wants return to Burgh

Dwinsgames
03-18-2014, 12:01 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334869/article/james-harrison-wants-to-rejoin-pittsburgh-steelers

blackngldblood
03-18-2014, 12:35 AM
Because of our lack of depth at the position of the entire team, I say kick them tires baybayyyyyyy!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelerette
03-18-2014, 12:36 AM
Something close to vet min, hell maybe even a few bucks more than that, to spell insurance and mentor - I'd take it. But it's not a real depth solution, James has one foot in the nursing home and I'm not sure Chris Carter is amounting to anything.

Randy06
03-18-2014, 02:24 AM
SMH, no thanks.

stillers4me
03-18-2014, 05:50 AM
He knew he screwed up the minute he walked into the Bungle locker room and now he can't get the smell of cat piss off his skin.

fansince'76
03-18-2014, 08:38 AM
And of course, leave it up to PFT to get things ass backward...

The Steelers cut Harrison to save cap space last year, and he played last season in Cincinnati. The Bengals cut Harrison to save cap space this month. But Harrison said he doesn’t think he’s even close to retiring, and he said he’s going to “go until the wheels fall off.”

James Harrison would like to return to Pittsburgh (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/james-harrison-would-like-to-return-to-pittsburgh/)

No, the Steelers most certainly did NOT cut him to save cap space. They offered him a reduced salary + incentives and his idiot agent advised him to test the market, which turned out to be extremely soft for him since James Harrison of 2013 ≠ James Harrison of 2008. The end result of that little exercise garnered a single offer that just so happened to be from Cincinnati, and also turned out to be substantially LESS than what the Steelers offered (try about half).

I'm tired of "journalists" who "report" bullshit.

venom
03-18-2014, 09:53 AM
As of today , March 18th , the Steelers have 2.3M in cap room

X-Terminator
03-18-2014, 10:08 AM

They should definitely pass on him then. They have way too many other needs.

salamander
03-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I'd like him back but these team has WAY too many other holes to fill.

Bluecoat96
03-18-2014, 10:34 AM
I would imagine he will still be on the market after June 1, so MAYBE we could sign him then.....MAYBE.

ALLD
03-18-2014, 10:47 AM
To do what?

XxKnightxX
03-18-2014, 10:50 AM
To do what?

Back up ? Who besides carter can back up Jones or Worilds ?

steelreserve
03-18-2014, 11:10 AM
No, the Steelers most certainly did NOT cut him to save cap space. They offered him a reduced salary + incentives and his idiot agent advised him to test the market, which turned out to be extremely soft for him since James Harrison of 2013 ≠ James Harrison of 2008. The end result of that little exercise garnered a single offer that just so happened to be from Cincinnati, and also turned out to be substantially LESS than what the Steelers offered (try about half).

They did cut him to save cap space. He wasn't a free agent; we cut him with a year left on his contract. Sure, we tried the reduced salary offer and it didn't happen, so we cut him. That's the definition of a salary cap cut. (This is not implying that it was anything other than a stupid move to turn down our offer, but at the end of the day the whole thing was about the $9M it would've cost us to keep him.)

We have several million dollars waiting for us on June 1 because of Woodley, with not much to really spend it on; the rookie class will take something like $4 million, leaving us with an extra $3 million. Contrary to popular belief, you really DON'T get the June 1 cut money until June 1, and until then it's treated as if the player is still on the team at full salary (see below). If they talked to Harrison and came to an understanding about a June 1 deal close to the minimum, I would have no problem with that, because it would do precious little good to sit around all year with $3M of cap space just to have it.

Also don't forget we could potentially save a few million dollars by getting a (backloaded - ugh) long-term deal worked out for Worilds to replace the tranny tag. Or by (ugh) another restructure of Timmons, though I really hope they don't.

What really pisses me off is that with such a tight cap situation, we blew $2 million on Cam Thomas and $1M on Whimper. If we're just looking for scrubs for roster depth, we can do it cheaper than that, at the end of free agency or in the draft. There was not exactly a leaguewide derby to see who could sign Guy Whimper first, and in any case, if he was unavailable later and we replaced him with some Bozo off the street, it would not exactly kill us. Meanwhile Cotchery is still unsigned and we're still thin at LB and DL. The hell?

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

I think where many people get confused, though, is when they hear that "player x” could be designated a June 1 cut and immediately jump to conclusions that it means a spending spree in March. The league allows each team to designate up to two players per year as a June 1 cut for cap purposes prior to June 1. It’s the one concession that was given to the players as it allows a player to be cut in March and have time to explore free agency but have his cap hit spread out over two seasons, thus creating more cap space in the current year. The issue though is the mechanism by which this works.

When you designate someone as a June 1 cut the player and his current contract remain on the books until June 1. Going back to the Breaston example has he been designated a June 1 cut his cap charge today would not be $1 million with $2 million on the books in 2014. His cap charge would be $5 million dollars, the same cap charge as if they never cut him at all. When June 1st hits his cap then moves down to $1 million and the other $2 million accelerate into the 2014 season. By that point in time free agency is finished and the extra cap room does not do the team much good. They would have been in a far better cap position during the important time of free agency by releasing Breaston outright as the Chiefs did.

The real purpose of the June 1 designation option is to benefit teams that have poor salary cap situations and need to either create space for rookie signings over the summer months or to cut players from the roster whose dead money charges are greater than their charge to remain on the team. In recent years this would be teams like the Dallas Cowboys and Oakland Raiders who have entered into some overpriced contracts for multiple players leaving them tight against the cap every season. The acceleration from one of these underperforming players would put the team over the cap or close enough to it to make it difficult to sign the draft class. Often waiting until June 1 is not an option because of offseason bonus money that would be due to the player if he is on the roster so the only option is to designate him a June 1 cut. So the rule gives the team the ability to avoid paying the player a bloated salary while also avoiding more cap problems. But by no means is it going to be a way to spend more money in the early stages of free agency and it does nothing to improve a teams cap position in March.

Shoes
03-18-2014, 11:16 AM
He's one guy I wouldn't mind having back at the right price.

katmandu
03-18-2014, 11:25 AM
They did cut him to save cap space. He wasn't a free agent; we cut him with a year left on his contract. Sure, we tried the reduced salary offer and it didn't happen, so we cut him. That's the definition of a salary cap cut.

This is not implying that it was anything other than a stupid move to turn down our offer...Right, so just "perhaps" James learned a valuable life's lesson and would seriously consider playing for less money now.

There's a ton of ex-players available RIGHT NOW that would gladly PAY the Steelers to play for them!

fansince'76
03-18-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm tired of "journalists" who "report" bullshit.
They did cut him to save cap space. He wasn't a free agent; we cut him with a year left on his contract. Sure, we tried the reduced salary offer and it didn't happen, so we cut him. That's the definition of a salary cap cut. (This is not implying that it was anything other than a stupid move to turn down our offer, but at the end of the day the whole thing was about the $9M it would've cost us to keep him.)
That wasn't how I remembered it, but I stand corrected after going back and checking again.

PFT still sucks, though. :chuckle:

one side only
03-18-2014, 12:25 PM
I believe Harrison would make more than 40 tackles, defend at least 4 passes, and record more than 1 sack.

jb500ex
03-18-2014, 12:47 PM
I believe Harrison would make more than 40 tackles, defend at least 4 passes, and record more than 1 sack.
Stop it he didn't come out of the sec ready to play in the 3-4

zulater
03-18-2014, 05:09 PM

I'm sure Jones will be a much better second year player than Harrison was at that point in his career. Jones just needs an off season in the weight room and he'll be fine. In all honesty rewatching the games I see more than a flicker of hope. I downright expect Jones to be a very productive player in this defense this season.

As far as bringing back James Harrison. I don't expect they'll do so. But I wouldn't object if they did. I could see him having value as a back up.

stillers4me
03-18-2014, 05:40 PM
As far as bringing back James Harrison. I don't expect they'll do so. But I wouldn't object if they did. I could see him having value as a back up.

This. Florio interviewed Ike Taylor and it was up on the PFT site yesterday. I really liked how Ike answered the question about him taking a pay cut to stay with the Steelers. He said something like " not many players get to play long enough to get asked to take a pay cut." Ike's alot smarter than he looks (literally). And it's something that James learned the hard way.

HollywoodSteel
03-18-2014, 06:03 PM
I would love to have JH back. I think it's worth vet min. just to get him in the LB meetings and the weight room with Jones. Did any of you see Hard Knocks last year? The scene where he destroyed the other, younger linebacker at arm wrestling? The point isn't that arm wrestling strength equates to productivity on the field, it's that James won that competition before their elbows touched the table. It was his intensity. His confidence. His swagger. We need that mean streak back on this team. Plus he can teach Jones a thing or two about leverage and technique in beating NFL left tackles. He will earn that million dollars a lot more than whimper ever will, and that's even if JH never even sees the field on game day. Just having him charge out of that locker room with the team will help put a bit of steel back in the Steelers.

86WARD
03-18-2014, 06:15 PM

And $2.3M won't fill 1/8 of those needs. A good case could be made that the money spent on Harrison would be good just for his locker room presence alone.

stillers4me
03-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Can you imagine both Joey and James in the faces of the young guys??

Psycho Ward 86
03-18-2014, 06:46 PM
after his handling of us offering a reduced salary, i question whether he really wants to return to the Burgh or if he just wants to have a job

Shoes
03-18-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm sure Jones will be a much better second year player than Harrison was at that point in his career. Jones just needs an off season in the weight room and he'll be fine. In all honesty rewatching the games I see more than a flicker of hope. I downright expect Jones to be a very productive player in this defense this season.

I agree with your comments on Jones, but do think they will bring Harrison back if they can agree on the money. He sure would fill in some glaring voids, not bad for a backup either. He still looks strong as an Ox.

Moose
03-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Pass on Harrison. He was a damn good player at one time, he's injury prone now and I'm sure wouldn't give us a full year, hell, he hasn't played a full year in 3-4 yrs ! It's time to go young, that was one of the reasons he 'walked' in the first place. Thanks Jim for the year's in the Black/Yellow, enjoy retirement.

Dwinsgames
03-18-2014, 11:00 PM
ever notice how easily it is to spot ( not all but most ) Old School fans from the younger fans by simple terms such as Black -N- Gold and Black and Yellow

Both terms are endearments towards the same team but one is old school the other is from the younger generation for the most part and no disrespect intended towards saying that ...

I grew up bleeding Black -N-Gold ( when no other team had the colors )

Moose
03-18-2014, 11:27 PM
I agree with ya' 'Dwinsgames. I too was the Black/Gold history, but just recently trying to do the Black/Yellow because of all the feedback of the color actually being 'YELLOW' and not 'GOLD'. Sure do wish the team would decide what color's THEY want......hahaha.

Craic
03-19-2014, 12:12 AM
ever notice how easily it is to spot ( not all but most ) Old School fans from the younger fans by simple terms such as Black -N- Gold and Black and Yellow

Both terms are endearments towards the same team but one is old school the other is from the younger generation for the most part and no disrespect intended towards saying that ...

Nah, Moose was just a stryper fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRlsI3iIPdA

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, Moose was just a stryper fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRlsI3iIPdA

Moose
03-19-2014, 12:22 AM
Damn, got me !

katmandu
03-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Can you imagine both Joey and James in the faces of the young guys?? .....also hire Greg Lloyd and Jack Lambert as "motivational speakers" too!

This is money well spent IMHO!

Dwinsgames
03-19-2014, 10:33 AM
the talking horse Mr Ed says it very well may happen .. read more here http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/03/19/Steelers-Talk-About-Re-Signing-Harrison/stories/201403190001

X-Terminator
03-19-2014, 12:31 PM
I love Deebo, but I thought the point was to get younger and faster on defense? If they do re-sign him, it had better be for a limited role and mentor for Jones. It would also be interesting to see how he works with Peezy since he was his replacement.

steelreserve
03-19-2014, 01:25 PM
the talking horse Mr Ed says it very well may happen .. read more here http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/03/19/Steelers-Talk-About-Re-Signing-Harrison/stories/201403190001

That was a good point about the Top 51 rule and how it basically means $420K of his cap hit is irrelevant because we'd be paying it to someone else regardless. For a difference of $214,000, it'd be almost silly not to have Harrison over our typical 7th-round rookie - usually a useless TE, or a lineman we take so he can sign with someone else's practice squad.

I'm all for getting younger, but the fact is we could use a competent backup/rotation player at OLB, and right now all we have are question marks. Even if it's only for a year, it would be nice to have that taken care of while we see if any of our unproven players are actually worth a damn.

There's also something to be said for having a player like Harrison go out as a member of the Steelers "for real," e.g., actually playing on the team in the year he retires, instead of one of those lame ceremonial sign-and-retire deals. Not worth a damn thing football-wise, but if circumstances align, it's a nice thought.

Shoes
03-19-2014, 01:55 PM
I love Deebo, but I thought the point was to get younger and faster on defense? If they do re-sign him, it had better be for a limited role and mentor for Jones. It would also be interesting to see how he works with Peezy since he was his replacement.

I think that will be the exact role he will play, Eric. I'm all for getting younger but you couldn't find a better backup who knows the system and can still play. I really hope this pans out.

........so does Goodell but for different reasons. :chuckle:

ALLD
03-19-2014, 02:04 PM
.....also hire Greg Lloyd and Jack Lambert as "motivational speakers" too!

This is money well spent IMHO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Lft6EQh-Y

MrPgh
03-19-2014, 03:08 PM

That's the problem. Because Harrison is a longtime vet, Tomlin may feel compelled to play him too much and too often over Jones.

blackngldblood
03-19-2014, 03:10 PM

I am not an older fan, I'm only 31, but I am a history fan. I prefer black and gold, hence the name!