PDA

View Full Version : Luckiest play in Steelers history?

stillers4me
03-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Luck or destiny?

For me, the luckiest goes to Ben's shoestring tackle, aka The Immaculate Redemption. Or luckier for us...the bad luck of that liqueured up kicker!

fansince'76
03-17-2014, 04:01 PM
DA STEALERS CHEETED ON ALL OF UM! :chuckle:

Seriously, the Immaculate Reception.

zulater
03-17-2014, 04:13 PM
DA STEALERS CHEETED ON ALL OF UM! :chuckle:

Seriously, the Immaculate Reception.

I'd go with this because none of the other plays were particularly lucky.
On Ben's tackle, the Steelers were unlucky that Bettis fumbled for the first time all year. 99.9% of the time The Bus holds onto the ball and the game is over. Steelers win without the drama.

Swann's catch. He was brilliant. That's why he's in the Hall despite ordinary stats, because he made those sort of plays in big moments.

The Holmes touchdown. Ben threw an equally brilliant pass in the other corner of the end zone a play earlier. Holmes didn't come up with that one. 50/50 proposition, second one counted. Not lucky

Harrison's interception, he read the play, he duped Warner into believing he was coming,dropped back a step and he stepped in front of the throw. No luck. Great defensive play by a great defensive player.

Hell even the Immaculate reception wasn't a lucky win. The Steelers led through most of that game. Then on a play the Steelers defense had well covered Ken Stabler out of desperation runs for it. 33 freaking yard touchdown run by Ken Stabler! Never happened before, never happened again. Now that was sheer luck!

:chuckle: I laugh but I'm dead serious.

Calling those plays lucky implies the Steelers shouldn't have won those games, and in every case displayed here that would be dead wrong.:thumbsup:

venom
03-17-2014, 04:25 PM
My Bengals friend says when Kimo broke Palmers leg in the Playoffs

steelreserve
03-17-2014, 04:28 PM
The Immaculate Reception for sure. Ben's tackle was a hell of a play, but I would say fortunate and not quite as much blind luck as Franco Harris' play.

I refuse to call Ben's play "The Immaculate Redemption," by the way, because that just sounds stupid as hell. I'd rather call it The Lucky Tackle or the Saving Bettis' Ass Tackle or whatever, but not that. The second one reminds me a little much of the Ass Fumble, and also I don't want to think of Jerome Bettis' ass, so actually forget that one.

tube517
03-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Ben was lucky Mendy didn't hump him too hard in the 2010 AFCC game

ALLD
03-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Swann's catch was not luck, but a skillful display of talent by a master WR. The Immaculate Reception was only lucky in the way the ball bounced Franco's way. Instinct took over for the score. I think Harrison's play was the best play in Steeler's history. The day before the game Tomlin went through drills that if there was a turnover, everybody turn around and block their opponent. That is one reason why he scored. Ben to Holmes, if Santonio caught it the first time it would have been even better, but not the best or luckiest. Shoestring tackle by Ben on guy who got stabbed by his wife, not luck, but fate.

steelreserve
03-17-2014, 09:39 PM
I'd also like to nominate one of my all-time favorites ... "The Goose."

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/steelers_fins_wtf.gif