PDA

View Full Version : Teams wary on Emmanuel Sanders

stillers4me
03-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Emmanuel Sanders (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13295/emmanuel-sanders) has been crisscrossing the country visiting teams this week, but the former Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) wide receiver might not get the kind of contract he covets because of medical concerns, a source told ESPN.com.
Sanders has a screw in each foot, stemming from injuries he sustained in the Super Bowl following the 2010 season, and teams might be leery of signing the four-year veteran to a long-term deal.

Sanders is believed to be seeking a contract in the range of what former Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13217/golden-tate) snagged from the Lions earlier this week. Detroit signed Tate to a five-year, $31.5 million deal with $13.25 million guaranteed.

Sanders visited the Jaguars and Buccaneers earlier this week. He met with the Chiefs in Kansas City on Friday, and the 5-foot-11, 180-pounder will visit the 49ers on Saturday, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Steelers are open to the possibility of bringing back Sanders, but he might have to accept a shorter-term contract and less money than he is seeking to return to Pittsburgh or sign with another team.........

read more @ http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10609547/emmanuel-sanders-faces-signing-issue-due-medical-concerns?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

GBMelBlount
03-14-2014, 07:54 PM
It is hard to command that type of money in the NFL when you have dainty feet.

He's doubly screwed.

stillers4me
03-14-2014, 08:05 PM
It is hard to command that type of money in the NFL when you have dainty feet.

He's doubly screwed.

:asskick:

Dwinsgames
03-14-2014, 08:55 PM
much like the emote above he is racking up some serious frequent flier miles

zulater
03-15-2014, 07:02 AM
Sanders is an ideal 3rd receiver. But he thinks and wants to get paid as if he's a number 2. He may be, but a low end 2, one that hurts your passing game as often as he helps it. Having reviewed much of last season, had the Steelers had a true number 2 last year I think they win 10 or 11 games. Easily. I'll elaborate, later, rushed on time at the moment. But if we can get an honest to goodness number two receiver, or even a one to supplant Brown and put him in that important role, then this offense will really take off, if the line play maintains it's late season effeciency.

GBMelBlount
03-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Disagree.

I am not sure you can argue #3 receiver when his receptions, yardage and touchdowns were respectable for a # 2 receiver.

I also think his drop rate was about 2.5% - same as Heath's

ALLD
03-15-2014, 08:20 AM
I would rather get another TE.

GBMelBlount
03-15-2014, 08:26 AM

I Agree.

Devilsdancefloor
03-15-2014, 09:08 AM
sanders will be the punching boy much like mendy for the fumbleint eh suoer bowl, sanders dropped the 2 pt conversion in the ratbirds game, so inturn he drops the ball A LOT. to be fair though he seems to drop it when it really counts. i liked his attitude during his rookie season, but i am not sure what happened with the attitude

Shoes
03-15-2014, 10:55 AM

I Agree.

:drink:

tube517
03-15-2014, 03:18 PM
I remember Sanders got hurt in SB XLV. That actually hurt us because he was playing #3 WR and doing it well. When he went down, it seemed like we couldn't move like we wanted to and that last drive we looked like complete shit. If he had stayed healthy in that game AND healthy through his career, teams wouldn't be so wary of him and this probably would have played out better for him (and maybe for us). Someone dumb will sign him like Washington did with ARE (fat contract), though.

ALLD
03-15-2014, 05:31 PM
He got hurt and never recovered. *See also FWP and a long list of others.

86WARD
03-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Broncos are expected to sign former Steelers WR Emmauel Sanders, per league sources.

Bluecoat96
03-15-2014, 08:21 PM
VERY classy goodbye from Sanders that he posted on Facebook. I wish him nothing but the best. Unless he plays the Steelers of course.

86WARD
03-15-2014, 08:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBZDAZBqn2U

Randy06
03-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Good move by him. He will probably get a ring with Manning this season lol.

st33lersguy
03-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Good move by Sanders. Going to Peyton Manning will boost any receiver's career

86WARD
03-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Didn't he say he thought of himself as a Number One? Thomas, Welker, Sanders ... 1,2,3...lol.

zulater
03-16-2014, 08:01 AM
Disagree.

I am not sure you can argue #3 receiver when his receptions, yardage and touchdowns were respectable for a # 2 receiver.

First off to the drops. Very subjective stat, actually it's a very forgiving stat for a receiver. Unless the ball is perfectly thrown and you're completely undefended it's about impossible to be "credited" with a drop by the way they measure the official statistic. Give you a good example as it pertains to Manny.

Steelers in New England, tie the score at 24 mid 3rd quarter. The Patriots come back and score a field goal. But in essence this is a win for the Steelers who have scored touchdowns on the last two drives, and now have the ball with good momentum. Unfortunately a bad decision on the kickoff gives the Steelers the ball at their own 11. But as they are in a groove within 3 plays they have the ball just past their own 40. On first down Leveon Bell misses his assignment so Ben eats the ball 2nd and 10 coming up. On this play Ben hits Sanders between the 8's around the 35 yard line of the Pats. The ball goes through Sanders hands. But since Sanders is being bracketed by two Patriot defenders this isn't considered a drop. Neither Patriot defender touched the ball or in any way impeded the ball's flight. Again the ball hit Manny between the 8's mid chest. Both hands touched the ball. But the NFL doesn't call it a drop because two defenders were within a yard of Sanders when he failed to catch it. One play later the Steelers fail to convert 3rd and 10, punt the ball back to the Patriots, Pats score a td and enjoyed a double digit lead therein.

In other words drops doesn't measure balls that could be caught but aren't. For example Calvin Johnson was among the league "leaders" in drops. But what's not quantified is how many catches he makes that average receivers wont come close to making. Antonio Brown also lists high in this unmeasured stat. Hines Ward made countless catches throughout his career that average receivers like Sanders just don't make. Near misses to Sanders would have changed the course of 4 out of our first 6 losses. Not saying we win all those games, but the games dynamics would have been more in our favor to take early leads or stay in closer contact with our opponents had he made plays that were there for a better player.

In my opinion, after having thoroughly reviewed last seasons' games, Sanders has proven himself to be a high end 3 or a very low end two by his play, regardless of what his stats might tell you. I think the Steelers are right to try to improve upon the position.

SteelerFanInStl
03-16-2014, 08:44 AM
I still think that it was a big mistake not to let the Pats have him last year for a 3rd round pick.

zulater
03-16-2014, 09:22 AM
I still think that it was a big mistake not to let the Pats have him last year for a 3rd round pick. Or better yet instead of tagging him with the right to match qualifier we should have used that on Keenan Lewis.

katmandu
03-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Very nice and classy way to go out!

Thank YOU Manny!

Dwinsgames
03-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Or better yet instead of tagging him with the right to match qualifier we should have used that on Keenan Lewis.

could have done both ....

could have tagged him , left him go to the Pats ( got a 3rd round pick from them in last years draft ) and then used that money towards a Lewis deal ....

zulater
03-16-2014, 12:54 PM
could have done both ....

could have tagged him , left him go to the Pats ( got a 3rd round pick from them in last years draft ) and then used that money towards a Lewis deal ....

Well damn, that really was a fuck up by the front office then! :doh:

steelreserve
03-16-2014, 01:11 PM
I still think that it was a big mistake not to let the Pats have him last year for a 3rd round pick.

But then we wouldn't have had the weapons to compete for a champions--

... oh! I understand.

Psycho Ward 86
03-16-2014, 05:02 PM
Disagree.

that reeks of bullshit. and if its true, well he just found the worst possible times to drop the ball.

steelreserve
03-16-2014, 05:26 PM
that reeks of bullshit. and if its true, well he just found the worst possible times to drop the ball.

The "drop rate" is total bullshit. I don't think they give you a drop unless you've come to a dead stop facing directly to the QB, no defender is within 15 yards of you, and the ball hits you straight in the hands and then deflects to smack you in the dick, and then Larry turns around while carrying a ladder and you and Curly both get hit in the head. There were games when Wallace had 4 or 5 easy catches go right off his hands, and the official stat line would say he had 0 or 1 drops.

Sanders' problem was also catching the ball, turning it into a 25-yard gain, and then fumbling it trying to gain an extra half-yard at the end. That's one thing I will not miss. Although I sure as hell hope someone's ready to step into the #2 role here, because if so I have no clue who.