PDA

View Full Version : It Sucks SteelerNation can't say Good-bye

katmandu
03-09-2014, 02:50 PM
In the past two years, the Steelers have said goodbye to Farrior, Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Max Starks and Casey Hampton, all players who, like Foote, helped the team get to three Super Bowls. But it never gets easier to see it happen. It's tough to watch good players -- good people -- move on to their life's work.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2014/03/09/Ron-Cook-Steelers-Foote-will-be-missed/stories/201403090098#ixzz2vUppllxY.......and Countless other Steeler Warriors who have left over the years.

Yea, I know. That's just the nature of the business and just they way things are.

Wouldn't it be great if SteelerNation was able to have a big banquet, event at Heinz field or a Parade for us to express our gratitude for our great warriors ? Or maybe even throw beer and eggs at those that didn't meet "The Steeler Standard" ? LOL!

It just seems to me a damn shame there isn't some type of venue for this to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

.......and Countless other Steeler Warriors who have left over the years.

Yea, I know. That's just the nature of the business and just they way things are.

Wouldn't it be great if SteelerNation was able to have a big banquet, event at Heinz field or a Parade for us to express our gratitude for our great warriors ? Or maybe even throw beer and eggs at those that didn't meet "The Steeler Standard" ? LOL!

It just seems to me a damn shame there isn't some type of venue for this to happen.I've often wondered if the players themselves are able to do so. I hope they do.

X-Terminator
03-09-2014, 03:44 PM
We already have a big banquet for them. It's called the annual Chamber of Commerce Steelers Luncheon, held at the Wyndham Hotel (formerly the Hilton) every August. They also have autograph sessions with former Steelers. Marianne and I used to go every year, which is also why I won't be attending another one, sadly.

tihmtahm
03-14-2014, 12:34 AM
X... I can certainly understand your reasoning... and it really wouldn't be the same for you going without Marianne, but I truly believe in my heart that she would want you to keep that tradition. I envy that you guys had that time together... She was such a genuine person.

X-Terminator
03-14-2014, 01:46 AM
You're right, but it would be a little difficult, to say the least. It's something I have to seriously think about before I do it, just to make sure I could handle it. Same thing with training camp.

stillers4me
03-14-2014, 05:22 AM
I did not know Marianne personnally, but what I do know of her, I am certain she would want you to continue to go to training camp and other events that you and she went together. Go with someone that shares the passion for sports that the two of you shared together and continue the tradition. Or ask a younger person, maybe a teenager in your life that you can teach the Steeler way to. We took my 14 year old granddaughter to training camp last year, and even though she only was familiar with a couple of players (Ben and Troy, of course!), it sparked her interest in what I hope will be a lifetime love affair with my beloved Steelers. I will never forget the look on her face after she high fived Ben.....and she'll never forget it either.

And as far as the original topic, I was talking to this to a Bengals fan yesterday. I think it starts at the top with Dan Rooney. His Steelers are treated like family. And we the fans, also tend to become somewhat emotionally attatched to many of the players because so many of them are with the team for so long. They become a part of the curlture of the city of Pittsburgh.........we (you) are very lucky in this way. My coworker agreed that it is not that way in Cinci.....at it starts at the top. You can't even go through Pittsburgh airport without being reminded!

Moose
03-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Hey 'X' you've got to keep the tradition you and Marianne had going ! You know she would want you to, and if it was somebody else concerning another loved one, you know Marianne's advice would be to tell them to go and continue the tradition. Just as 'stillers4me' said, find someone else to start a NEW tradition with. I never had the privilege as you to know Marianne personally, my only means of knowing her was through the many message boards ( started with TommyGun) and immediately fell in love with her, her attitude and her personality. The love she had for everything was awesome. X, don't stop the tradition, continue it. Hopefully I'll be able to make it some August and enjoy the great experience. Maybe it could be a time when a lot of us message boarder's meet up ..... just a thought. A new tradition. I'd like it just to get away from all of these damn bunghole people !!! Peace and love.

katmandu
03-14-2014, 03:05 PM
And as far as the original topic, I was talking to this to a Bengals fan yesterday. I think it starts at the top with Dan Rooney. His Steelers are treated like family. And we the fans, also tend to become somewhat emotionally attatched to many of the players because so many of them are with the team for so long. They become a part of the curlture of the city of Pittsburgh.........we (you) are very lucky in this way. My coworker agreed that it is not that way in Cinci.....at it starts at the top. You can't even go through Pittsburgh airport without being reminded!That is very true stillers4me....VERY true. The Rooney family has that reputation about and beyond ANY Professional and amateur Sports organization. It's called "CLASS". Most organizations have very "shallow" owners and leaders and it shows.

Talking about the culture of "The Burgh" and the surrounding area. I left the area (31) years ago to join the Circus (USAF actually!) and haven't lived there since. We lived in S.Texas, Lower LA (South Alabama) and here in Oh-Tucky (25 years total). The cultures of these places is not even close to back home. The ethnic and economic diversity can't be matched from Pittsburgh. What you said about the Bungle fans here is very true. They just don't understand (Like Will Smith says in the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) ! The just don't get "IT" !