PDA

View Full Version : 49er's Coffee retires... at 23

xX-TSK-Xx
08-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Coffee abruptly decides to retire

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Running back Glen Coffee left the San Francisco 49ers on Friday morning, telling the team he no longer wants to play football.

Coffee, San Francisco's third-round draft pick in 2009, was the team's second-leading rusher as a rookie last season with 226 yards, but he averaged just 2.7 yards per carry and scored one touchdown.

Coffee was in competition this summer with rookie sixth-round draft pick Anthony Dixon to be the team's top backup to Pro Bowl halfback Frank Gore. (continued at link)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/08/13/coffee.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

That is really unusual. Just leave after your first seaon. I guess he just no longer has a love for the game.

Nadroj 20
08-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Makes you wonder if something else is going on in his life. I hope everything is ok for him.

SteelerEmpire
08-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Reminds me of our Lynn Swann who retired at 30... hopefully he does not want to be a reporter/politician instead.

ALLD
08-13-2010, 07:14 PM
This is not a Swann-like retirement who was targeted with dirty hits from DBs. This guy cannot handle the competition and Singletary told him the truth. He is another headcase like Sweed, not Swann.

The Duke
08-13-2010, 07:54 PM
that's....odd

There has to be more to this....

CantStop85
08-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Sounds sort of like Quinn Pitcock who retired (and just now returned) due to video game addiction/depression.

stillers4me
08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Very strange........

stillers4me
08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Sounds sort of like Quinn Pitcock who retired (and just now returned) due to video game addiction/depression.

I may quit my job due to Steelers message board addiction. :heh:

Kaeg
08-13-2010, 08:01 PM
I wish I retired at 23! You know, sometimes when you've been doing it for a while and you've made enough money at it, it could be time to call it quits. Ripe ol' age of 23 after all, why even wait that long? Working sucks! What the hell am I still working for anyway? ......Oh yea....I still need to live...

Psycho Ward 86
08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
wow, he looked like he could have a bright career. Obviously something's up...

Psycho Ward 86
08-13-2010, 08:38 PM
here it says the reason he quit may have been because he went into ministry: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/It-s-a-jolt-23-year-old-Glen-Coffee-retires-fro?urn=nfl-262329

If so, more than respectable. And very unselfish of him. Good luck kiddo :)

Galax Steeler
08-14-2010, 06:33 AM
He was a good back it is ashamed he has to retire at such a young age.

LLT
08-14-2010, 06:39 AM
here it says the reason he quit may have been because he went into ministry: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/It-s-a-jolt-23-year-old-Glen-Coffee-retires-fro?urn=nfl-262329

If so, more than respectable. And very unselfish of him. Good luck kiddo :)

Exactly!!

st33lersguy
08-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Well if he's retiring to go into ministry then that was honorable of him

Kaeg
08-14-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure I see the need to retire so early due to going into ministry. Why not stay around a few years and make your money, get a little comfortable, and then do it? Or maybe just get into it at the same time?

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure I see the need to retire so early due to going into ministry. Why not stay around a few years and make your money, get a little comfortable, and then do it? Or maybe just get into it at the same time?

Wow lol, well for one thing, he would have to preach and play on sundays. How's that gonna work? And they're both fulltime jobs, im not sure you understand what goes into being a minister/preacher.

I'm a pastor's kid, and i can tell you that he's got his hands pretty full at all times :)

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Yup, he wants to focus on his faith:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819bec3d/article/49ers-rb-coffee-says-his-decision-to-retire-is-final?module=HP_headlines

49ers RB Coffee says his decision to retire is final

Running back Glen Coffee told the Sacramento Bee on Saturday that his decision to retire from the San Francisco 49ers after just one season is final.

The reason? Coffee said football is no longer his dream, and his focus is on his Christian faith.

"His (God's) will, I felt, wasn't football," Coffee said. "I felt like I forced football because everyone expected me to play football. He told me a long time ago to walk away from the game."

To that end, he plans to return to the University of Alabama and finish his undergraduate degree in consumer affairs (he needs six hours to complete it) and then pursue a masters degree.

Coffee also said the difficulty of 49ers coach Mike Singletary's training camp was not a factor in his decision.

"No. It's what we do. We're football players. I'm not walking away because of that," Coffee said. "As far as coach Singletary and the 49ers -- Singletary, that dude is legit. He's legit on all levels. He's doing what he feels is right. It's definitely not camp (that prompted his decision) and how hard camp was. That's football."

Godfather
08-14-2010, 08:56 PM
He still should have stuck with football longer. Being a former football star gives him more street cred. It might not be important in the greater scheme of things but people would be more receptive to his message.

CantStop85
08-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Well, God should have given his football talents to someone a little more appreciative. :chuckle:

steeldawg
08-15-2010, 05:36 AM
This is a bad move for him And i dont care how strong his faith is , you will see him working out with another team in 2-3 years when the money starts to run out.

SMR
08-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Yup, he wants to focus on his faith:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819bec3d/article/49ers-rb-coffee-says-his-decision-to-retire-is-final?module=HP_headlines

49ers RB Coffee says his decision to retire is final

Running back Glen Coffee told the Sacramento Bee on Saturday that his decision to retire from the San Francisco 49ers after just one season is final.

The reason? Coffee said football is no longer his dream, and his focus is on his Christian faith.

"His (God's) will, I felt, wasn't football," Coffee said. "I felt like I forced football because everyone expected me to play football. He told me a long time ago to walk away from the game."

To that end, he plans to return to the University of Alabama and finish his undergraduate degree in consumer affairs (he needs six hours to complete it) and then pursue a masters degree.

Coffee also said the difficulty of 49ers coach Mike Singletary's training camp was not a factor in his decision.

"No. It's what we do. We're football players. I'm not walking away because of that," Coffee said. "As far as coach Singletary and the 49ers -- Singletary, that dude is legit. He's legit on all levels. He's doing what he feels is right. It's definitely not camp (that prompted his decision) and how hard camp was. That's football."

Good for him! I respect that, rather than criticize him.

SMR
08-15-2010, 06:50 AM
This is a bad move for him And i dont care how strong his faith is , you will see him working out with another team in 2-3 years when the money starts to run out.

I guess money isn't everything to him.

BigNastyDefense
08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
I can totally respect that. I wish him all the good luck in the world, and I think he will make an excellent minister.

steeldawg
08-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Its a horrible move you can always be a minister after football but you cant go back once your 40 and try and play again.Someone needs to get in this kids ear and tell him hes making a mistake.

fansince'76
08-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Its a horrible move you can always be a minister after football but you cant go back once your 40 and try and play again.Someone needs to get in this kids ear and tell him hes making a mistake.

More than likely he'll be able to walk and walk without pain when he's 50. Is it really that big of a mistake? Not everyone is motivated by money and fame/notoriety.

st33lersguy
08-15-2010, 06:26 PM

He's not making a mistake, he is doing what he feels god wants him to do. For that it would be wrong to force the issue on him and try to convince him to change his mind and not to listen to god

O'Malley
08-17-2010, 04:38 PM
The man has a lot of guts to persue his true dream. If he found his true calling in life and has the guts to follow it, good for him. Not many people would put their faith over money and fame.