PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in Packers TE Jermichael Finley

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley suffered a career-threatening neck injury last season, but he’s expected to resume his career. The question is how effective Finley will be coming back from his injury, but he is just 27 and was one of the league’s biggest mis-match makers at the tight end position prior to his injury. Therefore, it’s not surprising to hear the Boston Globe’s Ben Volin report that the New York Jets, Seattle Seahawks, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Giants, and Pittsburgh Steelers are all interested in the uber-athletic Packers tight end.

Read more: http://nflspinzone.com/2014/03/07/jermichael-finley-interest-five-teams/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network

XxKnightxX
03-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Is it just me or do I have a feeling that the FO is going for a splash player in FA. Brown just restructured. Don't know why but they're freeing up a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
03-07-2014, 06:06 PM
I have mixed feelings about him. His family wanted him to retire after the injury. I'm not sure that he'll be the same player that he was and he's a big risk.

86WARD
03-07-2014, 06:07 PM
They have to free up money to become cap compliant first and foremost...

stillers4me
03-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Is it just me or do I have a feeling that the FO is going for a splash player in FA. Brown just restructured. Don't know why but they're freeing up a lot of money.

Colbert hinted at this in something I read in the last week or two.

Dwinsgames
03-07-2014, 06:20 PM
They have to free up money to become cap compliant first and foremost...

we where already cap compliant when we let Foote , Brown and Brown go , Troy and Heath ext ..... now with A.B. restructure we have 4 mill or so in space and Ike still ripe for the chopping that could save as much as 7 mill more , Woodley chop june1 covers all the rookies and then some ...

so basically we could have 11 in space at any moment in time if they cut Ike

Bluecoat96
03-07-2014, 07:23 PM
we where already cap compliant when we let Foote , Brown and Brown go , Troy and Heath ext ..... now with A.B. restructure we have 4 mill or so in space and Ike still ripe for the chopping that could save as much as 7 mill more , Woodley chop june1 covers all the rookies and then some ...

And if we make Woodley a June 1 cut, I would think that we could use that money to sign rookies, not to mention that an extension for Ben could free up even more money to have even more flexibility. (Extensions for Cortez, etc.?)

salamander
03-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Hmm....very interesting.

86WARD
03-07-2014, 07:51 PM

They were still about $1M or so over before restructuring Brown...this gives them $2M+ room under the cap.

I'd like to see some work done with Timmons, an extension for Ben, Worilds signed long-term, Something done with Ike, Woodley gone and they should be sitting pretty...

Shoes
03-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Spinal fusion surgery, no thanks. Draft a TE.

Dwinsgames
03-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Spinal fusion surgery, no thanks. Draft a TE.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331899/article/jermichael-finley-looking-for-final-medical-clearance

several players have come back from such injuries , but for me .... if I was GM for a day the only way I sign him is after the physical to end all physicals and if he clears an incentive laden contract with easily attainable incentives for a healthy player ..... so if he misses time or proves not worthy of going on moving forward he can be cut without cap implications ... a deal that he probably would not go for but one that would pay him market value if he is healthy and productive

it is fair to both sides but players hitting the FA market are not normally looking to be fair they are looking to get paid as much as possible ......

a Healthy Finley lined up with Heath would be as formatable a duo as you could get IMO ...key word is healthy and that I am not sure of nor can anybody be after 1 hit even if he passed the physical or he could hold up as well as anyone else we just do not know

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2014, 09:32 PM
article indicates he's looking at more of a 1 year "prove it" deal because of that injury, and i tend to agree. minimal risk, could yield GREAT reward. This looks like a dustin keller type situation, who got a cheap 1 year contract last season with the dolphins if anyone remembers. If we picked up finley with what is likely a cheap short deal and he gets hurt, big deal, he's dustin keller. If he produces like he should, then we've hit it big.

st33lersguy
03-07-2014, 09:35 PM
The guy's got stone hands, forget it. Besides, we don't need another tight end.

XxKnightxX
03-07-2014, 09:40 PM
I think we may be interested in another packer. Sam Shields maybe ? Supposedly he wasn't asking for much and the packers are willing to let him walk

Dwinsgames
03-07-2014, 09:44 PM
The guy's got stone hands, forget it. Besides, we don't need another tight end.

he had as many TDs in 2008 ( less 1 ) as Matt Spaeth has in his career ... I call that an upgrade

- - - Updated - - -

I think we may be interested in another packer. Sam Shields maybe ? Supposedly he wasn't asking for much and the packers are willing to let him walk

agree it is possible posted that rumor here earlier in the Curtis Brown thread

katmandu
03-07-2014, 09:45 PM
I have mixed feelings about him. His family wanted him to retire after the injury. I'm not sure that he'll be the same player that he was and he's a big risk.The Broncos have a QB named.......

katmandu
03-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Spinal fusion surgery, no thanks. That didn't work out for Peyton Manning either. :rolleyes:

st33lersguy
03-07-2014, 10:21 PM
he had as many TDs in 2008 ( less 1 ) as Matt Spaeth has in his career ... I call that an upgrade

We have Heath Miller as a starting TE, and Spaeth is just a back-up, you only really need one tight end to start, the rest are just complimentary luxury items that are not worth the salary cap space for cap-strapped team. Besides, we this team is better off without his inconsistent hands

SteelerFanInStl
03-07-2014, 10:39 PM
The Broncos have a QB named.......

Not quite the same thing. Manning never gets hit. He goes down as soon as someone gets close to him.

Finley was also talking last year like he didn't want to play any more. My big question is whether his heart is really still in it or not.

I'll take Sam Shields over Finley any day.

Shoes
03-07-2014, 11:00 PM
That didn't work out for Peyton Manning either. :rolleyes:

I guess your forgetting Manning didn't get much of a grass stain on his uniform the entire season. Finley isn't going to have the Bronco O-line blocking for him after he catches a ball. Roll your eyes at that.

86WARD
03-08-2014, 05:11 AM
We have Heath Miller as a starting TE, and Spaeth is just a back-up, you only really need one tight end to start, the rest are just complimentary luxury items that are not worth the salary cap space for cap-strapped team. Besides, we this team is better off without his inconsistent hands

Tell that to the Patriots...

zulater
03-08-2014, 06:44 AM
I don't think there's a snowball in hell's chance the Steelers make any kind of real play for Finley. It's not their M.O. Too high risk with the injury situation and too high maintenance with his history of complaining when things don't go his way.

GBMelBlount
03-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Tell that to the Patriots...

Bingo.

Completely agree.

Having two very good TE's would create more short yardage passing opportunites and help keep Ben upright.

zulater
03-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Bingo.

Completely agree.

Having two very good TE's would create more short yardage passing opportunites and help keep Ben upright.

No doubt on that. I just don't see Finley the Steelers type of free agent. The guy is a drop machine, plus when the ball doesn't come his way he starts pissing and moaning through his agent about how the quarterback is doing him wrong. This is a guy I seriously doubt you'd want around in the best of times.

Edman
03-08-2014, 10:51 AM
I liked the guy, until his postseason game against the Giants.

katmandu
03-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Finley was also talking last year like he didn't want to play any more. My big question is whether his heart is really still in it or not.He loses my vote by that fact alone.

If a player (ANY player) doesn't posses 1/2 of Hines Ward's heart and warrior mentality, I don't want him even close to representing Steeler Nation.

Dwinsgames
03-08-2014, 11:50 AM
He loses my vote by that fact alone.

If a player (ANY player) doesn't posses 1/2 of Hines Ward's heart and warrior mentality, I don't want him even close to representing Steeler Nation.

I get it but does that not automatically discount 98% of the league player base ?

Devilsdancefloor
03-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Fernando Velasco i think is a need signing maybe clearing room for him and a FA or 2 the steelers are not going to make a huge splash in the market not their style.

Dwinsgames
03-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Fernando Velasco i think is a need signing maybe clearing room for him and a FA or 2 the steelers are not going to make a huge splash in the market not their style.

I can see Valesco , Goose Wallace , Al Woods being targets of low level deals

GBMelBlount
03-08-2014, 02:18 PM
I can see Valesco , Goose Wallace , Al Woods being targets of low level deals

"Goose" lol.

Is Valesco low level?

Didn't he grade out around 10th in the league in 2012 and have a solid year last year?

If we can lock him up long term on the cheap I would think it's a no brainer...

Dwinsgames
03-08-2014, 02:48 PM
"Goose" lol.

Is Valesco low level?

Didn't he grade out around 10th in the league in 2012 and have a solid year last year?

If we can lock him up long term on the cheap I would think it's a no brainer...

its all about people taking notice , who would have thought he would be a street FA when we gave him a ring , yet he was ... sometimes I think FA is a lot like the pro bowl ... a popularity contest

blackngldblood
03-08-2014, 03:11 PM
its all about people taking notice , who would have thought he would be a street FA when we gave him a ring , yet he was ... sometimes I think FA is a lot like the pro bowl ... a popularity contest

It absolutely is a popularity contest. You give a guy like Mike Wallace ridiculous money just because he's the hot commodity. Speed is all he has. How that working out Miami?

pepsyman1
03-09-2014, 01:23 AM
I'd rather pay Valesco than Pouncey, especially now that he'd be reunited with Munchak.

MULLDOG24
03-09-2014, 07:59 AM
I really would like to sign Valesco to a long term deal as I think he is a great fit in Pittsburgh and having Munchak is really a plus.

Bluecoat96
03-09-2014, 09:10 AM
I'd like to sign Velasco as well, but one thing to keep in mind is that Munchak cut him in favor of someone else before the season...plus he's recovering from an Achilles injury. Hopefully he and Pouncey are recovered well enough.