Bluecoat96
03-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Just saw it on twitter.

tube517
03-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Not surprised. Foote is old, Curtis sucks, Levi blows

Dwinsgames
03-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Steelers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) have released LB Larry Foote, CB Curtis Brown and OT Levi Brown per Dale Lolley so pretty much official saves nearly $8 mill in cap space

stillers4me
03-05-2014, 03:40 PM

We had too many guys named Brown anyway. :heh:

KeiselPower99
03-05-2014, 03:42 PM
I see a Lb being signed to compete with Vince

Mojouw
03-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Wonder if that LB will be Foote at a reduced salary?

steelreserve
03-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Foote is the only one I'm sad to see go, since he'd played OK over the years and his cap number was not huge. But eventually you have to move on. Which we basically already did last season. I will wish him well and hope he catches on somewhere if he wants to keep playing.

Or if one of our guys gets hurt early on, I would imagine we have Foote on speed dial if he's still available.

Dwinsgames
03-05-2014, 03:52 PM

not sure how much you can reduce a vet with that many years of service from 1.3 mill ......

stillers4me
03-05-2014, 03:53 PM

steelreserve
03-05-2014, 04:18 PM
not sure how much you can reduce a vet with that many years of service from 1.3 mill ......

I think the minimum salary for a 10+ year veteran is $955,000, so it would be lower.

The cap hit can also come down to $620,000 thanks to the Veteran Minimum Salary Benefit, which lets you write off about a third of the cap hit for veterans signed to one-year minimum contracts. Basically a rule they put in the last CBA so that veteran players were not forced out in favor of younger players simply because they're higher on the minimum salary scale.
http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-minimum-salary-benefit/

(Yes, this is the one case where you can actually pay players real money that is not counted against the cap. I remember this came up with our punter situation last year, which is how I found out about it and thought how weird it was.)

LLT
03-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Steelers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) have released LB Larry Foote, CB Curtis Brown and OT Levi Brown per Dale Lolley so pretty much official saves nearly $8 mill in cap space

I think our scenerio about needing two CB's in this draft has come to fruition. Now, the question is....since Brown is gone, do they rework Taylor as a one year security blanket as we train his replacement? That would be my guess as of now,

Dwinsgames
03-05-2014, 04:36 PM
I think our scenerio about needing two CB's in this draft has come to fruition.

Put me down for Gilbert and Phillip Gaines

stillers4me
03-05-2014, 04:43 PM

LLT
03-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Put me down for Gilbert and Phillip Gaines

I cant see Gilbert making it past the Lions (and the Giants worry me also). But yea...I'm up for Gaines on the second day!!

stillers4me
03-05-2014, 04:56 PM

Psycho Ward 86
03-05-2014, 05:02 PM
wow, i thought curtis brown would have been released in preseason at worst. well, there goes another failed middle-round cornerback. Anyone know approximately what our cap number is now?

Dwinsgames
03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I cant see Gilbert making it past the Lions (and the Giants worry me also). But yea...I'm up for Gaines on the second day!!

if the Giants don't take an O-Lineman heads need to roll ... as for the Lions they could easily take a S since they released Delmas , or a WR since they also let Burrelson go and have nobody worthy opposite Megatron so we have hope IMO

steelreserve
03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
I think our scenerio about needing two CB's in this draft has come to fruition. Now, the question is....since Brown is gone, do they rework Taylor as a one year security blanket as we train his replacement? That would be my guess as of now,

I hope you didn't mean we needed another CB because Brown is gone. We already needed a CB to replace him because he was completely useless. Your point is still just as true, though.

CB and NT are our two sore spots that are difficult to draft low. Thankfully we'll at least get the chance to take care of one of those. If we can do both, that would be amazing.

SteelerFanInStl
03-05-2014, 05:36 PM

They should've just said "Failed" on him. What a wasted draft pick that was.

Mojouw
03-05-2014, 05:54 PM
They should've just said "Failed" on him. What a wasted draft pick that was.

The next good player at the NFL level out of UT will be the first in some time. I guess Brown's draft and team mate Aaron Williams is having a resurgence with the Bills after switching to safety.

But for all the success that program has had at the college level, they sure have not produced a large number of good professional players.

Heck, Hillis, Brown, and Sweed. And that is just the guys the Steelers drafted.

stillers4me
03-05-2014, 05:54 PM

Mojouw
03-05-2014, 05:56 PM

And that is what many around this board and others have been saying for a couple of years now. The idea that the defense was too old and too cap-strapped to fix was simply lazy reporting by folks who don't only follow the Steelers.

Now untalented and lacking in depth...that is another matter!

LLT
03-05-2014, 05:58 PM
I hope you didn't mean we needed another CB because Brown is gone. We already needed a CB to replace him because he was completely useless. Your point is still just as true, though.

CB and NT are our two sore spots that are difficult to draft low. Thankfully we'll at least get the chance to take care of one of those. If we can do both, that would be amazing.

Not to replace the person...to replace the position.

If they work out a cut for Ike...we may see him starting at the beginning of the season...but end up as the nickel by the end. (As much as I hate to admit it...an old Taylor is still better than William Gay.)

stillers4me
03-05-2014, 05:59 PM

86WARD
03-05-2014, 06:01 PM
When he was drafted, I was really hoping Brown would've stepped up and taken a starting spot one day...

Count Steeler
03-05-2014, 06:15 PM
When he was drafted, I was really hoping Brown would've stepped up and taken a starting spot one day...

He showed a brief period of potential 2 seasons ago. Last year was a step back and a disappointment.

oneforthetoe
03-05-2014, 06:20 PM
I think they might try and work something out with Ike now. His skills have obviously diminished -and is not worth the money he is due. Still, he may be capable of playing better than last year. Even when younger Ike would sometimes go into a shell for a long period of time. Remember he was pretty much benched in Cowher's last year. Still, it probably won't happen.

LLT
03-05-2014, 06:28 PM

But Tomlin doubled down in that draft and got Cortez...so I suppose there is that.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they might try and work something out with Ike now. His skills have obviously diminished -and is not worth the money he is due. Still, he may be capable of playing better than last year. Even when younger Ike would sometimes go into a shell for a long period of time. Remember he was pretty much benched in Cowher's last year. Still, it probably won't happen.

I think you are spot on.

Texasteel
03-05-2014, 09:07 PM
The next good player at the NFL level out of UT will be the first in some time. I guess Brown's draft and team mate Aaron Williams is having a resurgence with the Bills after switching to safety.

But for all the success that program has had at the college level, they sure have not produced a large number of good professional players.

Heck, Hillis, Brown, and Sweed. And that is just the guys the Steelers drafted.

This is why I have stayed away from UT players for the past couple of year. Yes, I was one that was pushing the Brown pick. I was wrong.

The draft is still as clear as my grandfathers coffee, at least to me. The four players I had down as the leading prospects are still the same four. I don't think it will clear up at all till we see just what FAs we do sign. Hell, they may be waiting for the same thing.

LLT
03-05-2014, 09:58 PM
This is why I have stayed away from UT players for the past couple of year. Yes, I was one that was pushing the Brown pick. I was wrong.

The draft is still as clear as my grandfathers coffee, at least to me. The four players I had down as the leading prospects are still the same four. I don't think it will clear up at all till we see just what FAs we do sign. Hell, they may be waiting for the same thing.

Yea....its still a crap shoot.

I think Manziel may end up falling all the way to the Cardinals or the second 1st round pick for Browns. Personally.... I would take Garoppolo over him any day of the week.

katmandu
03-05-2014, 10:04 PM
I see a Lb being signed to compete with VinceC.J. MOSELY !!!!

It's a damn shame the Steeler's and Foote couldn't come to a 1 year agreement. I really like Larry and the Steeler's are in need of a solid ILB.

Looks like the Steeler's have a lot of faith in Williams. I hope he blooms like Worilds did but only a lot FASTER!

LLT
03-05-2014, 10:42 PM
C.J. MOSELY !!!!

It's a damn shame the Steeler's and Foote couldn't come to a 1 year agreement. I really like Larry and the Steeler's are in need of a solid ILB.

Looks like the Steeler's have a lot of faith in Williams. I hope he blooms like Worilds did but only a lot FASTER!

If both corners are gone...and Mosely is on the board still....I think it would happen.

tube517
03-06-2014, 09:49 AM
C.J. MOSELY !!!!

I hope Williams pans out or that we can find a free agent ILB in the Farrior mold.

Foote wasn't an all pro/pro bowler but he was a key ingredient in this defense.

steelerdude15
03-06-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm not surprised at all to see Curtis and Levi released. I am a little surprised that Larry was released. I understand that he was older, but he was good against the run and was a leader on our defense. I wonder who will take over his old position.

steelreserve
03-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Not to replace the person...to replace the position.

If they work out a cut for Ike...we may see him starting at the beginning of the season...but end up as the nickel by the end. (As much as I hate to admit it...an old Taylor is still better than William Gay.)

Heh, I know what you meant; I just had to get an additional jab at Brown. Man, did he suck!

Thinking about scenarios ... there are likely to be a number of decent CBs and safeties on the free agent market in the $4-5M range (or alternatively, Taylor could hopefully be reworked to such a number). If we shore up the DB corps that way, our first pick probably won't be a CB. Although if it's Taylor, we might still take one in the early rounds because that's obviously a stopgap for the immediate short term.

As far as DTs, probably fewer solid options there in both free agency and the draft. The question is whether we take the opportunity to address the "harder" position with the higher-than-usual draft pick, or pass over it again as too high of a cost for the value of the position. Given the number of #1 picks we've spent on defensive linemen over the past few years, I'm not sure that's the case. One guy I like as a potential under-the-radar free agent is Pat Sims from the Raiders - he really showed he was a force in the middle and did not have a huge contract because he was coming off of injury. He could either be in our price range, or get a huge deal we can't afford; can't tell which.

So I guess what I'm saying is, hopefully we manage to get one or the other of those positions in FA, and then drafting the other would be pretty obvious.

Bluecoat96
03-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Just got an alert on my phone that Antonio Brown restructured his contract to free up about 4 mil in room. I'm purely speculating, but why do I have the feeling we're getting ready to make a run at a free agent? If they cut or slash Ike's salary, I gotta think that we're in decent shape for once, especially if Big Ben gets an extension later on to free up even more room to sign rookies, etc.

Dwinsgames
03-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Just got an alert on my phone that Antonio Brown restructured his contract to free up about 4 mil in room. I'm purely speculating, but why do I have the feeling we're getting ready to make a run at a free agent? If they cut or slash Ike's salary, I gotta think that we're in decent shape for once, especially if Big Ben gets an extension later on to free up even more room to sign rookies, etc.

I just heard this too .... if he shaved 4 mill off in cap space that means he is on the books for 800k ish ?

stillers4me
03-07-2014, 06:16 PM

- - - Updated - - -

dislocatedday
03-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Restructuring Brown now should not present too much of a problem down the line, but the Steelers will need to be able to sign some other young guys to 2nd contracts before long as well. I hope they are planning for this and not putting themselves up against the rope the next couple offseasons (although I know the salary cap will increase further).

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2014, 09:22 PM

please be sam shields please be sam shields please be sam shields please be sam shields

steelreserve
03-09-2014, 03:52 PM
please be sam shields please be sam shields please be sam shields please be sam shields

sorry ... doesn't look like it. Turns out he was neither cheap nor available.

Packers, free-agent CB Sam Shields agree to four-year, $39M contract

A week ago, it appeared as though Packers cornerback Sam Shields, after failing to reach a deal with Green Bay, would test the free agent market. On Saturday, though, the two sides agreed to a four-year, $39 million contract that will keep Shields in a Packers uniform, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora confirmed (Pro Football Talk was the first to report the news).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24473724/report-packers-cb-sam-shields-agree-to-4-year-39-mil-contract

On a related note ... if that's indicative of the going rate for free agents, YIKES. The tranny tag on Worilds for $10M looks downright cheap, and we'll be lucky to re-sign a single guy beyond that.