PDA

View Full Version : Colbert says the Steelers could keep LaMarr Woodley and Jason Worilds

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2014, 07:12 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325421/article/steelers-could-keep-lamarr-woodley-and-jason-worilds

salamander
02-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Ugh...

blackngldblood
02-12-2014, 08:37 PM
The writings on the wall for Woodley. Look at how all the articles are subtly saying the Steelers can indeed cut Wood and still be ok, even resign Worilds. Lamar is a goner...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steeltreal
02-12-2014, 08:48 PM
A fresh rotation wont hurt, Its not like hes Shawne Merriman trying to salvage his career after roids.
His calves are just sore from carrying a fat Wallet and fans have their scapegoat.

st33lersguy
02-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Cut Lamar

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2014, 09:33 PM
its a waste of money to rotate a guy being paid $8 million in base salary next season. he needs to go, or he needs to start AND be healthy AND be effective.

personally, i think on top of the joey porter and mike munchak hiring, we could have REALLY hit a grand slam from a coaching perspective by picking up Joe Kim: http://www.kimsmartialartsavon.com/about-us/gm-kims-nfl-career

A karate instructor yes, unorthodox yes, but the guy has worked with some great pass rushers like Kabeer Gjbaja Biamila (spelling? lol), Aaron Schobel, Aaron Kampman, Elvis Dumervil, Tamba Hali, Justin Houston, and Jason Taylor.

other than woodley being a fat ass and getting hurt a lot, i thought both jarvis jones and woodley exhibited some very mediocre and singular hand fighting skills this season. hope porter can help fix that, but picking up a unique technician with a phenomenal track record couldnt have hurt. kim and porter would have given our OLB's the perfect balance of rage and serenity.

Too bad the bears already picked him up.

LLT
02-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Its simply time to jettison some of the older players and (for a year) take the expected lumps of younger, talented but less experienced players. With the exception being keeping Cotchery and letting Sanders walk.

In other words

Goodbye Woodley...Keep Worilds

Goodbye Kiesel...Keep Hood

Goodbye Ike...Draft a CB

Steeltreal
02-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Im all for that first round Corner. Too many years of mid round guys not panning out like Joe Burnett and Curtis Brown.

blackngldblood
02-13-2014, 02:08 AM
Im all for that first round Corner. Too many years of mid round guys not panning out like Joe Burnett and Curtis Brown.

Dennard or Clinton-Dix SHOULD be our first round targets IMHO.

Psycho Ward 86
02-13-2014, 02:55 AM
gilbert > dennard

clinton-dix has more upside than kenny vacarro imo. it would be a huge mistake to not get him unless a top 5 prospect like clowney or maybe if one of the top 2 receivers (watkins/evans) were still on the board

blackngldblood
02-13-2014, 04:24 AM
gilbert > dennard

clinton-dix has more upside than kenny vacarro imo. it would be a huge mistake to not get him unless a top 5 prospect like clowney or maybe if one of the top 2 receivers (watkins/evans) were still on the board

Indeed! If Clinton-Dix is still there, and all other previously mention picks are gone, and they pass on him I'm gonna lose my shit. We need a safety far worse than a receiver, in the first round.

steelreserve
02-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Keep both? I'd rather not. At this point, we'd be better off having Worilds start and Joey Porter coming off the bench.

Just kidding.

Well, only half kidding.

Which is sad.

Also, yes, please let's get a DB with a high pick. But don't forget NT. That's been killing us for years now.

LLT
02-13-2014, 03:38 PM
gilbert > dennard

Not sure if I'm sold on drafting a safety in the first round.

With Troy on one side, I'm up for seeing if Shamarko can start on the other. I also believe that Will Allen will be back so drafting a safety will simply be for depth and as a replacement for Troy in a few years. Safety also happens to be the position (at least more so than any other position) in which current starters across the league were found in virtually every round of the draft.

Due to Troy's age...I would feel confident in using a 2nd or third round pick on the position.

Psycho Ward 86
02-13-2014, 04:46 PM

With Troy on one side, I'm up for seeing if Shamarko can start on the other. I also believe that Will Allen will be back so drafting a safety will simply be for depth and as a replacement for Troy in a few years. Safety also happens to be the position (at least more so than any other position) in which current starters across the league were found in virtually every round of the draft.

Due to Troy's age...I would feel confident in using a 2nd or third round pick on the position.

I dont expect troy to be here after the 2014 season. Even if he is, theres a good chance he'll be past his prime by then. Its a miracle he is still playing football, and he's going to be 33 years old by the start of the season. Hard to expect a rookie regardless of draft status to start AND play well in this defense in his 1st year. Or maybe even the 2nd year really. Shamarko is supposed to be one of our safeties of the future, almost no question about it. But if we dont groom a replacement for troy in this draft, that just means were crossing our fingers that he stays both healthy and effective. Thats a tall order, and id rather not rely on luck.

Also im not sure what troy's age has to do with using a lower pick on a safety

steelreserve
02-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Amen to all of that. Safety is way down the "degree of difficulty" list in the draft. Some people just refuse to trust a position unless the starter has a blue-chip first-round pedigree. I'd like to know what planet they're from. It's not like we drafted Sharko to sit on the bench until we replaced him with another backup. We drafted him because we hoped he could take over the position, so let's see that. He's proven he's no Ryan Mundy, that's for sure.

LLT
02-13-2014, 04:57 PM
I dont expect troy to be here after the 2014 season. Even if he is, theres a good chance he'll be past his prime by then. Its a miracle he is still playing football, and he's going to be 33 years old by the start of the season. Hard to expect a rookie regardless of draft status to start AND play well in this defense in his 1st year. Or maybe even the 2nd year really. Shamarko is supposed to be one of our safeties of the future, almost no question about it. But if we dont groom a replacement for troy in this draft, that just means were crossing our fingers that he stays both healthy and effective. Thats a tall order, and id rather not rely on luck.

Also im not sure what troy's age has to do with using a lower pick on a safety

You answered that question yourself.

I dont expect troy to be here after the 2014 season.

...and If Shamarko can start this year, then in this draft we need to be prepared to find a replacement for Troy to be ready the following year.

I'm not saying that we WONT draft a safety in the first round...I'm saying that "as things stand" it looks like we are probably going to let Taylor go and a starting CB this year trumps a starting safety next year.

BnG_Hevn
02-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Woodley CANNOT BE CUT!!!!! He needs to pick up the slack and turn it around for an all-start HOF career.

I have a signed jersey that I essentially paid $100 for.