PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter will turn up the volume

stillers4me
02-11-2014, 02:28 PM
The volume just got turned up at Steelers’ headquarters, and that can only be a good thing for a team that has missed the playoffs in each of the last two seasons.

Joey Porter (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1826/joey-porter) is returning to the organization as an entry-level assistant coach whose responsibilities have not been defined -- at least publicly -- by the Steelers.

It doesn’t matter.

Just having Porter in the building should restore some swagger and attitude to a defense that could use a little of both after giving up too many big plays in 2013 and recording too few sacks, Porter’s specialty when he played for the Steelers from 1999-2006.

Porter, only two seasons removed from his playing career, has relatively little coaching experience. His hiring is a curious one considering Mike Tomlin had a voice in the organization releasing Porter in 2007, less than two months after the Steelers hired Tomlin to succeed Bill Cowher..........

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/4864/joey-porter-will-turn-up-the-volume

Dwinsgames
02-11-2014, 02:43 PM
this could be just a normal flow of the NFL business side of things .....

or it could be much more ....

Perhaps Lebeau has made his future more clear to the team and knowing Butler would assume Lebeaus duties they wanted to get someone in house working under Butler to learn the ropes to make as smooth of a transition as possible ....

or as said to open this post , it could be just normal coaching adjustments

ALLD
02-11-2014, 03:21 PM
I hope he lights a fire under some of the under achievers.

Count Steeler
02-11-2014, 04:31 PM
I hope he lights a fire under some of the under achievers.

But will he piss on them?

stillers4me
02-11-2014, 05:17 PM

You can't copy and paste from Steelers Depot...read the last line of the article. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

stillers4me
02-11-2014, 05:25 PM

- - - Updated - - -

vader29
02-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Can't wait for next season!

:tt03:

fansince'76
02-11-2014, 06:16 PM
this could be just a normal flow of the NFL business side of things .....

or it could be much more ....

Perhaps Lebeau has made his future more clear to the team and knowing Butler would assume Lebeaus duties they wanted to get someone in house working under Butler to learn the ropes to make as smooth of a transition as possible ....

or as said to open this post , it could be just normal coaching adjustments

I think it has more to do with throwing an ex-player with a gambling problem a lifeline than a potential shakeup in the coaching ranks. Zu pretty much called it a while back:

Joey's a meathead. He'll probably die in a gutter before he's 50. Sorry to be so harsh, but this guy is a walking disaster.

Report: Joey Porter faces foreclosure (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/16891-Report-Joey-Porter-faces-foreclosure?p=364595&viewfull=1#post364559)

Dwinsgames
02-11-2014, 07:05 PM
I think it has more to do with throwing an ex-player with a gambling problem a lifeline than a potential shakeup in the coaching ranks. Zu pretty much called it a while back:

Report: Joey Porter faces foreclosure (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/16891-Report-Joey-Porter-faces-foreclosure?p=364595&viewfull=1#post364559)

Curt Popejoy ‏@NFLdraftboard (https://twitter.com/NFLdraftboard) 58m (https://twitter.com/NFLdraftboard/status/433391774694785024) By the way, the hiring of Joey Porter to work with Jarvis Jones is genius. No better mentor for @SacManJones_29 (https://twitter.com/SacManJones_29). #Steelers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash)

stillers4me
02-11-2014, 07:08 PM
I doubt Tomlin would in any way feel obligated to throw Peezy, or any other ex-Steeler for that matter, a bone. But especially not one that he didn't even work with.

Dwinsgames
02-11-2014, 07:14 PM
I doubt Tomlin would in any way feel obligated to throw Peezy, or any other ex-Steeler for that matter, a bone. But especially not one that he didn't even work with.

agreed and they also normally do not make moves just for the sake of making moves

stillers4me
02-11-2014, 07:30 PM
I think this is an attempted to get the nasty back in the defense. It walked out the door with James.

Psycho Ward 86
02-11-2014, 07:58 PM
love this. joey will give the defense an attitude adjustment. i said it before but i have never been able to fathom why people love that timmons is a quiet guy. since when has our defense been good with no "rah-rah" types? Jack lambert, greg lloyd, kevin greene, james farrior, and of course joey porter come to mind.

fansince'76
02-11-2014, 07:59 PM

Much like the Haley hire, I could see the Rooneys pulling rank on this one.

SteelerFanInStl
02-11-2014, 08:06 PM
I think this is an attempted to get the nasty back in the defense. It walked out the door with James.

I agree 100%. I also think that some of the nastiness was lost with all of the fines that were getting thrown our way.

Dwinsgames
02-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Much like the Haley hire, I could see the Rooneys pulling rank on this one.

thoughts like that will happen when you allow your imagination to run wild , if I am going to engage into fantasy land I will take my mind elsewhere other than " football"

fansince'76
02-11-2014, 08:07 PM

This defense has been neutered more by Goodell and his bullshit fines than anything else. $25K-40K fines add up after a while, not to mention game checks for being suspended.

SteelerFanInStl
02-11-2014, 08:12 PM
This defense has been neutered more by Goodell and his bullshit fines than anything else. $25K-40K fines add up after a while, not to mention game checks for being suspended.

You and I think alike. :lol:

fansince'76
02-11-2014, 08:12 PM
thoughts like that will happen when you allow your imagination to run wild , if I am going to engage into fantasy land I will take my mind elsewhere other than " football"

I don't think it takes much imagination at all...

fansince'76
02-11-2014, 08:18 PM
You and I think alike. :lol:

I just noticed your previous post. :lol:

Dwinsgames
02-11-2014, 08:38 PM
I don't think it takes much imagination at all...

ahh come on now LOL

we are talking about a billion dollar business , big time decisions are not made by 1 man regardless of title /ownership level , when that stuff starts to happen you a Dallas or Washington franchise and we are nowhere near that sort of franchise

fansince'76
02-11-2014, 08:44 PM
ahh come on now LOL

we are talking about a billion dollar business , big time decisions are not made by 1 man regardless of title /ownership level , when that stuff starts to happen you a Dallas or Washington franchise and we are nowhere near that sort of franchise

Well, I could definitely see Dan at least asking Tomlin to give Peezy a shot. And I do believe he treats ex-players like family, especially ones who fall on hard times like Porter has recently. That was something I always admired about Al Davis as well.

Dwinsgames
02-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Well, I could definitely see Dan at least asking Tomlin to give Peezy a shot. And I do believe he treats ex-players like family, especially ones who fall on hard times like Porter has recently. That was something I always admired about Al Davis as well.

now that is a statement I can agree with and not just with Dan asking but Art2 as well ...

I also think he ( Porter ) has something to offer as a mentor / instructor and a pro bowl rush OLB brain fresh for the picking as well as teaching vocal leadership skills to some of this young Def ( yes young ) as I see us getting there sooner rather than later ..if you can't have enough vet leadership on the field get some freshly retired fiery guys who know how to bring it to give toolage to the youngsters

Count Steeler
02-11-2014, 09:00 PM
He would make Hard Knocks an interesting watch, if the Steelers get chosen.

steelerdude15
02-12-2014, 08:16 AM
I have no problem with this hire. If he can bring back the fear that opposing teams used to have when playing against the Steelers' defense, it would be worth the hire.

Mojouw
02-12-2014, 08:41 AM
While Porter is still breaking in to the coaching ranks, he has been invited to Latrobe in the past. Honestly, leaving his non-football troubles out of things, this is a similar path to that followed by Kevin Greene, post playing days.

Steelerette
02-12-2014, 09:18 AM
This is a man who always wanted to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. He even signed a one day contract so he could retire here - he loves this town, and that's saying something since he's from Missouri and went to Colorado.

What's clear is that we have a culture that people are not running away from... just the opposite. Joey may turn out to be nothing special as a coach. Great players are often not great coaches.

But they sometimes are. Even LeBeau was once a great former DB with no coaching experience. You have to start somewhere. Hiring him on as a noncommittal "assistant" does zero harm, but does have a chance of bringing in some needed attitude. If it works out, excellent. If not... it's not like cutting him free in a couple years is going to shake up the system.

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2014, 11:14 AM
He would make Hard Knocks an interesting watch, if the Steelers get chosen.

joey porter vs. todd haley on the sidelines :lol:

fansince'76
02-12-2014, 11:54 AM

Not unless Haley wants to get bitchslapped like Levi Jones. :lol:

Mojouw
02-12-2014, 01:36 PM
And then there is this:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/02/steelers-bring-back-joey-porter-teach-way-peezy.html

"FIX YO STATS!"

fansince'76
02-12-2014, 01:52 PM
"Cookie Jarvis." :lol:

Shoes
02-12-2014, 02:30 PM
I'd love to hear Peezy miked up in training camp. :chuckle:

smokin3000gt
02-12-2014, 06:44 PM
I don't know Joey's financial situation, but I would just like to point out that just because your home goes into foreclosure, it doesn't mean you're broke and can't make payments. It just means you stopped making payments. If you're mortgage is underwater and you know you will never see equity, then why keep throwing good money after bad? Sometimes walking away is the best thing to do.

My money is on 55! :chuckle:

tube517
02-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Not unless Haley wants to get bitchslapped like Levi Jones. :lol:

Levi bitchslapped himself by falling and tripping over himself getting off the plane after being signed.

Unless Gilbert was in front of him.

stillers4me
02-13-2014, 06:41 PM