PDA

View Full Version : Michael Sam comes out of closet as gay player

Dwinsgames
02-09-2014, 07:12 PM
mike freeman ‏@mikefreemanNFL (https://twitter.com/mikefreemanNFL) 1m (https://twitter.com/mikefreemanNFL/status/432681046279487488) BREAKING: Bleacher Report will have more soon on the brave decision of Missouri's Michael Sam to come out as gay.

- - - Updated - - -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgEy-ZYCEAEKsmz.jpg

GBMelBlount
02-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Brave?

I really don't see what the big deal is.

Dwinsgames
02-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Brave?

I really don't see what the big deal is.

I see it as dumb ...

here is why , he would have been drafted late second to mid 4th dependent on combine results and interview process final grading etc ....

now many of the teams that would have been interested could be taking him off their boards do to team chemistry and locker room concerns ....

what coming out did for him ... cleared his conscience where he no longer has to hide his feelings but at the cost of draft stock and money where as he could have waited till mid May and came out without the negative impact on his earning potential ....

just my opinion

GBMelBlount
02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Maybe San Francisco will trade up for him.

Dwinsgames
02-09-2014, 07:36 PM

:rofl2:

- - - Updated - - -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgE32URCQAAR5Q5.jpg

Dwinsgames
02-09-2014, 07:45 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000324603/article/michael-sam-becomes-first-openly-gay-nfl-draft-prospect

kid made life a whole bunch tougher on himself , but at the end of the day it was a courageous act to come clean especially knowing the fallout and potential cost

fansince'76
02-09-2014, 09:02 PM

Dolphins all the way. I'm sure Wallace and Incognito will make him feel really welcome...

Dwinsgames
02-09-2014, 09:23 PM
this has totally consumed Twitter ( most of whom I follow is sport people ) and EVERYBODY has to say something , then 10 more somethings , then the retweets ... I had to close the window mind is numb from reading the same dozen basic comments over and over and over again ....

how much can really be said , its pretty cut n dry ... The man is gay , he came out an now nfl teams will have to decide if he is draftable for their organization the end ....

now he is a hero , a equal rights champion , an everything else under the sun .... STOP he is none of that ( but they will try and convince you he is ) ...

he is a man , he plays football , and he is gay ... THE END

steeldawg
02-10-2014, 05:37 AM
I don't think its a big deal for nfl teams, there are already gay players on teams and there have been gay players on teams for awhile now. I have not heard of any instance of a guy being gay destroying a locker room. As far as him making it tougher on himself by coming out I do not agree, Im sure its much tougher and more degrading to have to hide who you really are.

zulater
02-10-2014, 05:58 AM
All I can say is it wouldn't bother me if the Steelers drafted him at a point when he was a good value pick. I don't think it would disrupt the locker room either.

I will say this though. If this guy is a marginal prospect, a guy who may or may not make the roster, then a lot of teams will stay away from him. Because no coach will want to be put in the position of cutting the gay guy. Because instead of looking at it as the team who gave him an opportunity it will be twisted by the activists as cutting him because he was gay.

fansince'76
02-10-2014, 08:52 AM
All I can say is it wouldn't bother me if the Steelers drafted him at a point when he was a good value pick. I don't think it would disrupt the locker room either.

I will say this though. If this guy is a marginal prospect, a guy who may or may not make the roster, then a lot of teams will stay away from him. Because no coach will want to be put in the position of cutting the gay guy. Because instead of looking at it as the team who gave him an opportunity it will be twisted by the activists as cutting him because he was gay.

Mr. Sam, a senior who was listed at 6 feet 2 inches and 260 pounds, had a stellar season as Missouri finished 12-2 and won the Cotton Bowl. He was a first-team all-American and was named the Associated Press defensive player of the year in the Southeastern Conference, widely considered the top league in college football.

Read more: NFL Prospect Michael Sam Proudly Says What Teammates Knew: He’s Gay
(http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/sports/michael-sam-college-football-star-says-he-is-gay-ahead-of-nfl-draft.html?_r=0)
Yeah, with those credentials there's really no question that if he legitimately washes out, the team/coach that cuts him is going to catch a TON of shit for it. Unless this kid looks to be the next Reggie White or Bruce Smith, I don't think I'd pull the trigger for that reason.

Dwinsgames
02-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Read more: NFL Prospect Michael Sam Proudly Says What Teammates Knew: He’s Gay
(http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/sports/michael-sam-college-football-star-says-he-is-gay-ahead-of-nfl-draft.html?_r=0)
Yeah, with those credentials there's really no question that if he legitimately washes out, the team/coach that cuts him is going to catch a TON of shit for it. Unless this kid looks to be the next Reggie White or Bruce Smith, I don't think I'd pull the trigger for that reason.

its not just that he is gay and will pose a locker room issue with many players ( showers etc ) but his football ability ...

he has great stats that got him to the status he has achieved but much of those stats IMO are inflated as they came against inferior opponents ( like 8 sacks in 3 games worth ) he is also a " tweener " not big enough to play DE in the NFL in any scheme to big for LB in the 4-3 and IMO to slow of a first step to be effective as an OLB in the 3-4 ....

couple that with a poor showing at LB in senior bowl practices where he looked lost in space and if I am honest his draft projections are inflated and he easily could be a bust regardless of his sexual preference ....

Team will take pause , then look over that tape again an really start to find flaws in his game ... I see his draft stock falling dramatically and he could go undrafted or as a late round flyer as the microscopes are now out with 32 teams

steelerdude15
02-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Here's what I think... Good for him for coming out and admitting that he is gay. He should be allowed to play football, regardless of whether he likes men or women. I think that this could hurt him a little in the draft because I think some teams could see this as possibly being an issue in their locker room which I do understand where they are coming from. I also think there will be certain players who will cause problems and say things to him to upset him. He will be drafted by a team and I think it will be a well organized and run team. I wouldn't mind drafting him in the later rounds; as long as he does his job and doesn't cause any issues. Of course, I hope for this from everyone who is drafted by this team.

Aussie_steeler
02-10-2014, 02:53 PM
I have listed Sam in some of my mocks. ( because he has specific skills that the steelers will look at in a DE / OLB)

It took me 5 minutes of scouting Michael Sam's body of work to find out he was gay.
It took a further 5 minutes to find out that he was a team leader and well respected player in the Missouri program.

You scout film on him and he is like many DE conversion OLB prospects.
Decent first step
Good speed rush
Can get to the sideline in pursuit
Needs to work on his coverage and run stopping when making the conversion from DE

He had a monster start to the college season leading the sack total at the midpoint until teams started keying in on him more.
IF he had continued that pace for the entire season you have someone comparable to Jarvis Jones.

He looks like a football player.

Realistic option in the 3rd or 4th round.

Scouts and teams draft pot smokers, petty criminals, suspected rapists and all round bad people. Still drafted despite bad character. Michael Sam does not have bad character nor should homosexuality be grouped as a bad character trait.

Realistic scenario: steelers need a OLB. In the mid rounds do I chose Prince Shembo or Michael Sam. Suspected rapist or homosexual.

I identify the better player and factor in their intangibles.

This subject ( sexual preference) matter should be a non factor.

ALLD
02-10-2014, 06:25 PM
He should play soccer.

Godfather
02-10-2014, 07:52 PM
He should have stayed in the closet and married a Victoria's Secret model for show.

Dwinsgames
02-10-2014, 07:56 PM
He should have stayed in the closet and married a Victoria's Secret model for show.

ahha a page out of Tom Brady's book

vader29
02-10-2014, 08:07 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/2zhe6bd.png

SteelerFanInStl
02-10-2014, 08:11 PM
I have listed Sam in some of my mocks. ( because he has specific skills that the steelers will look at in a DE / OLB)

It took me 5 minutes of scouting Michael Sam's body of work to find out he was gay.
It took a further 5 minutes to find out that he was a team leader and well respected player in the Missouri program.

You scout film on him and he is like many DE conversion OLB prospects.
Decent first step
Good speed rush
Can get to the sideline in pursuit
Needs to work on his coverage and run stopping when making the conversion from DE

He had a monster start to the college season leading the sack total at the midpoint until teams started keying in on him more.
IF he had continued that pace for the entire season you have someone comparable to Jarvis Jones.

He looks like a football player.

Realistic option in the 3rd or 4th round.

Scouts and teams draft pot smokers, petty criminals, suspected rapists and all round bad people. Still drafted despite bad character. Michael Sam does not have bad character nor should homosexuality be grouped as a bad character trait.

Realistic scenario: steelers need a OLB. In the mid rounds do I chose Prince Shembo or Michael Sam. Suspected rapist or homosexual.

I identify the better player and factor in their intangibles.

This subject ( sexual preference) matter should be a non factor.

Excellent post Aussie. Michael Sam is a Hell of a football player and, by all accounts, a great teammate. That's all that should matter.

Living in MO, I've watched him in almost every game this year. He's a tweener, but the guy's got a great motor and he makes plays. He can get after the QB.

I'm sure that his announcement will drop his draft stock but I'd love to see him in Black & Gold.

Dwinsgames
02-10-2014, 08:39 PM
am I the ONLY 1 that thinks his first step is to slow to be a consistent force as a OLB ?

he also needs more moves but thats an entirely different issue and much more correctable so I won't hold that against him

Count Steeler
02-10-2014, 09:37 PM
One way for a mid round draft prospect to get the limelight.

If he is BPA, take him. If not, pass. Oh, he is gay? Who cares?

zulater
02-10-2014, 10:09 PM
I don't know if any of Sam's Missouri teammates are potential draft prospects or not? But if there are it might be worth nudging them up a smidgen for character. For that team to sit on that news all year without anyone going blabbing to a reporter or posting it on twitter of facebook is impressive in this day and age.

Dwinsgames
02-10-2014, 10:26 PM
I don't know if any of Sam's Missouri teammates are potential draft prospects or not? But if there are it might be worth nudging them up a smidgen for character. For that team to sit on that news all year without anyone going blabbing to a reporter or posting it on twitter of facebook is impressive in this day and age.

James Franklin (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/QB/James-Franklin.php) late round or UDFA

Henry Josey (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/RB/Henry-Josey.php) late round or UDFA

L'Damian Washington (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/WR/LDamian-Washington.php) ( love this kid ) but probably a late round prospect

Justin Britt (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OT/Justin-Britt.php) Mid / late round

Kony Ealy (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DE/Kony-Ealy.php) First rounder

Andrew Wilson (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/ILB/Andrew-Wilson.php) UDFA

E.J. Gaines (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/CB/EJ-Gaines.php) mid rounder

Aussie_steeler
02-11-2014, 12:38 AM
am I the ONLY 1 that thinks his first step is to slow to be a consistent force as a OLB ?

he also needs more moves but thats an entirely different issue and much more correctable so I won't hold that against him

From my eyes when comparing Michael Sam and Kony Ealy there are notable differences in their first step.

Ealy is your typical big first step.
Sam has a much smaller first step.
They get off the LOS together but Ealy looks like he is deeper into the backfield than Sam.

Sam looks noticeably different, more of a short strider.
I would even go as far to say that Sam has a slight bow in his legs.

A guy his size is going to have to win the leverage battle from underneath. Short, sharp steps can work for you in that scenario.

In all honesty I think he looks like he is a player more than an athlete. His brain may compensate for .1 or .2 of a second in a 40 time.

Steeltreal
02-11-2014, 12:53 AM
Scouting downunder . o0

Aussie_steeler
02-11-2014, 03:28 AM
Scouting downunder . o0

Always looking up is a great perspective, unless you are totally kept in the dark.

Loads of Innuendo {In u end ooooooh}

vader29
02-11-2014, 01:37 PM

:chuckle:

Dwinsgames
02-11-2014, 08:27 PM
this is taking it to far ... in a free society when you can no longer speak your opinion it makes you rethink the term " free society "

they are all for publicizing those who are ok with it but by god do not speak against it , seems to me that is dead wrong of the league ... not everyone will agree , not everyone will be accepting to squelch the opposers while advertising the supporters is a false persona they are feeding the public ...

it pisses me off , I could care less if he is gay , if he is heterosexual or if he is into some other off the wall sexual preference not yet defined by mankind because in no way does it affect me ... but people he could potentially be team and locker room mates with should not be squelched with fines for having an opinion , and opinion that would better help teams define if he is or is not a fit for their locker room

it is not for me to Judge Michael Sam as a person , that will be done at a much higher level than any of us are capable of achieving so the record is clear I am not downing him , nor am I trying to make a hero of him like some clearly have in the media

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325171/article/cfl-players-fined-for-negative-michael-sam-comments

steeldawg
02-12-2014, 09:29 AM
this is taking it to far ... in a free society when you can no longer speak your opinion it makes you rethink the term " free society "

they are all for publicizing those who are ok with it but by god do not speak against it , seems to me that is dead wrong of the league ... not everyone will agree , not everyone will be accepting to squelch the opposers while advertising the supporters is a false persona they are feeding the public ...

it pisses me off , I could care less if he is gay , if he is heterosexual or if he is into some other off the wall sexual preference not yet defined by mankind because in no way does it affect me ... but people he could potentially be team and locker room mates with should not be squelched with fines for having an opinion , and opinion that would better help teams define if he is or is not a fit for their locker room

it is not for me to Judge Michael Sam as a person , that will be done at a much higher level than any of us are capable of achieving so the record is clear I am not downing him , nor am I trying to make a hero of him like some clearly have in the media

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325171/article/cfl-players-fined-for-negative-michael-sam-comments

Your still free to express your opinion nobody is going to arrest you for being anti gay.

Dwinsgames
02-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Your still free to express your opinion nobody is going to arrest you for being anti gay.

its not about me , its about players ( CFL , NFL ) and like I said , he can be mechanical sexual or some goofy shit I could care less it wont affect me , all I am concerned with is can he play football at the level that will be expected from him in the NFL or not , will he fit in , in the locker room or will it be a team distraction ( and I do not believe there is 1 set answer to that as each team has a different makeup )

steeldawg
02-12-2014, 09:47 AM
its not about me , its about players ( CFL , NFL ) and like I said , he can be mechanical sexual or some goofy shit I could care less it wont affect me , all I am concerned with is can he play football at the level that will be expected from him in the NFL or not , will he fit in , in the locker room or will it be a team distraction ( and I do not believe there is 1 set answer to that as each team has a different makeup )

I'm adressing the comment about a "free society" anyone has the freedom to speak out against Michael Sam.

Dwinsgames
02-12-2014, 09:54 AM
I'm adressing the comment about a "free society" anyone has the freedom to speak out against Michael Sam.

well simply put ... that is not true , if you read the link you will see players are sustaining FINES ( being squelched ) for speaking out against him .... those who support him are being publicized hence creating a false persona about the league and its acceptance ... if only people fine with it are allowed to be heard ( because those against are shutting up in fear of fines ) then they have effectively created a false persona and killed the free society in its wake ( because of potential fines of punishment for going public with their feelings on the matter )

Dwinsgames
02-14-2014, 02:31 PM
this pretty much proves not every locker room will be the right locker room for Sam http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325827/article/ted-wells-releases-miami-dolphins-misconduct-report

not that its right , but it is the reality of things ( and was my point all along )

steeldawg
02-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Lol any organization can levy penalties against an employee for publicly discriminating against other employees or representing the company in a negative way. That's the nfl,s choice what can be more free than that? If they don't like gay people they can walk away nobody is taking away their freedom. Being free simply means you will no be subject legal recourse it does not mean you can do how you please without consequence.

Dwinsgames
02-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Lol any organization can levy penalties against an employee for publicly discriminating against other employees or representing the company in a negative way. That's the nfl,s choice what can be more free than that? If they don't like gay people they can walk away nobody is taking away their freedom. Being free simply means you will no be subject legal recourse it does not mean you can do how you please without consequence.

Sam is not an NFL / CFL employee at this point so how are they discriminating against another employee ????? he is a prospect nothing more at this point and that is all he will ever be until signed by a team

steeldawg
02-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Sam is not an NFL / CFL employee at this point so how are they discriminating against another employee ????? he is a prospect nothing more at this point and that is all he will ever be until signed by a team

Because they discriminating against gay people, which I'm sure there are plenty of gay people throughout the nfl

Dwinsgames
02-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Because they discriminating against gay people, which I'm sure there are plenty of gay people throughout the nfl

so the league would rather a player LIE than be honest if asked .... nice precedence to set forth

steeldawg
02-14-2014, 09:08 PM
so the league would rather a player LIE than be honest if asked .... nice precedence to set forth

Yes im sure the league doesn't want players saying they hate gays publicly, they would rather the player give a politically correct answer. Its the nfl if you want o be in the league and reap the benefits then you must play by their rules and a reason why the nfl has been so successful is because it has been able to appeal to everyone the last thing they want to do is start alienating groups of people. Any company would do the same thing in fact most companies would probably fire an employee if they came out publicly and said I hate gays or I hate blacks and its the companies right to do so, they can hire and fire who ever they want. employees getting reprimanded by a company for painting the company in a negative light has nothing to do with society being free or not.

Dwinsgames
02-15-2014, 10:59 AM
n a film evaluation of Missouri DE/LB Michael Sam, Greg Bedard of Monday Morning Quarterback wrote that there is "nothing exceptional" about the "decidedly average" prospect. "It could be argued that Sam is the fourth-best pass rush prospect on the Tigers," Bedard wrote, referring to Kony Ealy, Markus Golden and Shane Ray, when asserting that Sam's high-level effort was in part aided by the fact that he only played in 58 percent of the snaps in the 12 games Bedard watched. Sam (6-foot-1 1/2, 260 pounds) led the SEC in sacks and tackles for a loss in 2013 and earned the conference's Defensive Player of the Year award from the media, and co-DPOY (with Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley) from coaches. Bedard noted that nine of Sam's sacks came against Arkansas State, Vanderbilt and Florida, while he collected only a half-sack in his final six games. Bedard struggles to see Sam as a 4-3 end because he's undersized, flounders against the run and is stiff as an athlete. Bedard, however, believes Sam is a fit as a pass-rushing DE on third downs or as a two-down inside 3-4 LB. To Bedard, Sam is a mid- to late-round prospect, perhaps even undraftable.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/29821/Rang-QB-Savage-is-particularly-intriguing?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Aussie_steeler
02-16-2014, 03:13 AM
I prefer this framework for evaluating a prospect like Sam

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/14/5411014/nfl-draft-2014-michael-sam-tweener-scouting-report

Sam is not going to be better than Woodley, Worilds or Jones.

But I think he can be better than Chris Carter ( round 5 2011) and Jamaal Westerman (UDFA).

I think he is definitely on the steelers board with a 4th or 5th round grade, along with Morgan Breslin, Ronald Powel & Derrell Johnson.

Backup OLB is a must come draft day.

Dwinsgames
02-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Mike Mayock says Michael Sam cannot play linebacker. Lack of length, explosiveness and he has tight hips.

(https://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn/status/435862793502216192)

zulater
02-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Mike Mayock says Michael Sam cannot play linebacker. Lack of length, explosiveness and he has tight hips.

(https://twitter.com/MatthewFairburn/status/435862793502216192)

Lack of length?! Damn that could be what turned him! But the tight hips are probably a strength if he's a bottom. :heh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

By the way I see Obama sent him a congratulatory telegram.

A stated sexual preference warrants a White House commendation?! :wtf:

What if a straight guy comes out and states his preference for anal and dirty Sanchez's to follow. Does he get a congratulatory telegram from the White House?

fansince'76
02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
By the way I see Obama sent him a congratulatory telegram.

A stated sexual preference warrants a White House commendation?! :wtf:

Maybe he'll appoint him to our delegation in Sochi as well. :coffee:

Dwinsgames
02-22-2014, 12:46 PM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell (https://twitter.com/jimwexell) 59s (https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/437296578227748864) Timmy Jernigan was asked about playing with gay players. Hey, Kony Ealy's at the other podium.
(https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/437296578227748864)

so making believe it will not be an issue for some players / some locker room is a " fairy tale " ... just sayin

Dwinsgames
02-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Clarification on above post , truth came out later talking with Wexell that those words where made up and was what he was thinking not what Jernigan said like it reads ...

Paul ‏@Dwinsgames (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames) 2h (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames/status/437297829867171840)
@jimwexell (https://twitter.com/jimwexell) Jernigan basically proved it can / will be an issue in some locker rooms with some players , thinking otherwise is a #fairytale (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23fairytale&src=hash)

Reply (https://twitter.com/i/connect#)
Delete (https://twitter.com/i/connect#)
Favorite (https://twitter.com/i/connect#)

Expand (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames/status/437297829867171840)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000798452941/7efe6c9d9282bfd112ae1c0a8d21a666_bigger.jpeg James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell (https://twitter.com/jimwexell) 2h (https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/437304844420800512)
@Dwinsgames (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames) I think the issue will die once it gets past the early stages.

Retweet (https://twitter.com/i/connect#)

Expand (https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/437304844420800512)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/433086623891218432/VhC5_TVL_bigger.jpeg Paul ‏@Dwinsgames (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames) 2h (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames/status/437305802139791360)
@jimwexell (https://twitter.com/jimwexell) probably so ... my issue is not his sexuality but his slower than ideal first step and size not a true DE or a LB based on tools

Expand (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames/status/437305802139791360)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000798452941/7efe6c9d9282bfd112ae1c0a8d21a666_bigger.jpeg James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell (https://twitter.com/jimwexell) 2h (https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/437308552726577152)
@Dwinsgames (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames) Agreed. ... Just to be clear, Jernigan didn't say that. I thought it and put it in the tweet without quotation marks.

Retweet (https://twitter.com/i/connect#)

Expand (https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/437308552726577152)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/433086623891218432/VhC5_TVL_bigger.jpeg Paul ‏@Dwinsgames (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames) 2h (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames/status/437308849297817600)
@jimwexell (https://twitter.com/jimwexell) ohhhhhhhhhhhh ....def. need to make that clear

Expand (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames/status/437308849297817600)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000798452941/7efe6c9d9282bfd112ae1c0a8d21a666_bigger.jpeg James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell (https://twitter.com/jimwexell) 2h (https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/437309215061712896)
@Dwinsgames (https://twitter.com/Dwinsgames) Jernigan was very respectful on all topics. For whatever reason, I find d-linemen the easiest to talk to.

steeldawg
02-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Im sure it will be an issue for some players but so what, most players however will not care.

Dwinsgames
02-22-2014, 07:25 PM
what is getting old is the NFL's force feeding of this to the public ...

today was a HUGE day in nfl news with the scouting combine under way and this is the headlines at NFL.Com

2 of the 9 headline stories so roughly 23% of the headlines are about Sam .... ( someone who may not be drafted till day 3 if at all )

only 3 stories in those same 9 headlines about the draft / combine so 66% of the combine talk is about Sam on the NFLs site ....

pretty pathetic IMO because he did NOTHING at the combine to deserve this amount of attention ( based on Football / workouts ) if he does not come out as a gay player he never see's a foot note let alone a headline ....

so force feed us gay shit and glorify him for it , and denounce anyone not tolerant and fine them ... pretty messed up IMO

NFL is getting more and more sucky by the day ..... next thing you know the Redskins are going to be forced to not only change their name but make it the unicorns or some stupid shit ...

I am sick of being tolerant of the ignorance pushed in our faces and we are to just take it and if/when we get sick of taking it we are called the one in the wrong ....

sure 10 more people will hate me for this post but oh well , I really don't care .....

Pettine: Trying for Harbaugh a plus (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327831/article/pettine-trying-for-jim-harbaugh-trade-was-a-positive) | Niners coach refutes report (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327804/article/jim-harbaugh-i-know-nothing-about-trade-with-browns)
Michael Sam: I want to be known as a football player (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327801/article/michael-sam-wants-to-be-known-for-play-only) | Watch (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000327950/Michael-Sam-addresses-the-media)
Missouri DE says he'd be excited if Dolphins drafted him (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327929/article/michael-sam-id-be-excited-to-join-miami-dolphins) | Watch (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000327928/Michael-Sam-I-did-it-on-my-time-my-terms)
Bridgewater: I'm best quarterback in draft (http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap2000000327992/article/teddy-bridgewater-im-the-best-quarterback-in-the-nfl-draft) | Mayock's takeaways (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327983/article/mayock-takeaways-clowney-might-not-even-go-in-the-top-five)
Ravens GM Newsome: Ray Rice video 'doesn't look good' (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327871/article/ozzie-newsome-ray-rice-video-doesnt-look-good) | Watch (http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-ravens/0ap2000000327965/Newsome-on-Rice-video-It-doesn-t-look-good)
Kaepernick, 49ers begin new contract talks (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327837/article/colin-kaepernick-49ers-begin-new-contract-talks) | Mayock likes Mack (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327619/article/mayock-khalil-mack-would-be-my-no-1-overall-pick)
Newsome talks proposed 15-yard penalty for racial slur (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327882/article/ozzie-newsome-on-proposed-penalty-for-use-of-nword) | Watch (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=0ap2000000328144)
Hardwick will be back with Chargers (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327984/article/nick-hardwick-returning-to-san-diego-chargers) | Bills plan to franchise Byrd (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327933/article/buffalo-bills-plan-to-franchise-tag-jairus-byrd-if-needed)
Giants GM Reese: Tuck, Nicks deserve to hit free-agent market (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327817/article/giants-gm-hakeem-nicks-tuck-deserve-to-hit-market)

steeldawg
02-23-2014, 12:46 AM

today was a HUGE day in nfl news with the scouting combine under way and this is the headlines at NFL.Com

2 of the 9 headline stories so roughly 23% of the headlines are about Sam .... ( someone who may not be drafted till day 3 if at all )

only 3 stories in those same 9 headlines about the draft / combine so 66% of the combine talk is about Sam on the NFLs site ....

pretty pathetic IMO because he did NOTHING at the combine to deserve this amount of attention ( based on Football / workouts ) if he does not come out as a gay player he never see's a foot note let alone a headline ....

so force feed us gay shit and glorify him for it , and denounce anyone not tolerant and fine them ... pretty messed up IMO

NFL is getting more and more sucky by the day ..... next thing you know the Redskins are going to be forced to not only change their name but make it the unicorns or some stupid shit ...

I am sick of being tolerant of the ignorance pushed in our faces and we are to just take it and if/when we get sick of taking it we are called the one in the wrong ....

sure 10 more people will hate me for this post but oh well , I really don't care .....

Pettine: Trying for Harbaugh a plus (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327831/article/pettine-trying-for-jim-harbaugh-trade-was-a-positive) | Niners coach refutes report (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327804/article/jim-harbaugh-i-know-nothing-about-trade-with-browns)
Michael Sam: I want to be known as a football player (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327801/article/michael-sam-wants-to-be-known-for-play-only) | Watch (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000327950/Michael-Sam-addresses-the-media)
Missouri DE says he'd be excited if Dolphins drafted him (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327929/article/michael-sam-id-be-excited-to-join-miami-dolphins) | Watch (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000327928/Michael-Sam-I-did-it-on-my-time-my-terms)
Bridgewater: I'm best quarterback in draft (http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap2000000327992/article/teddy-bridgewater-im-the-best-quarterback-in-the-nfl-draft) | Mayock's takeaways (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327983/article/mayock-takeaways-clowney-might-not-even-go-in-the-top-five)
Ravens GM Newsome: Ray Rice video 'doesn't look good' (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327871/article/ozzie-newsome-ray-rice-video-doesnt-look-good) | Watch (http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-ravens/0ap2000000327965/Newsome-on-Rice-video-It-doesn-t-look-good)
Kaepernick, 49ers begin new contract talks (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327837/article/colin-kaepernick-49ers-begin-new-contract-talks) | Mayock likes Mack (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327619/article/mayock-khalil-mack-would-be-my-no-1-overall-pick)
Newsome talks proposed 15-yard penalty for racial slur (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327882/article/ozzie-newsome-on-proposed-penalty-for-use-of-nword) | Watch (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=0ap2000000328144)
Hardwick will be back with Chargers (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327984/article/nick-hardwick-returning-to-san-diego-chargers) | Bills plan to franchise Byrd (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327933/article/buffalo-bills-plan-to-franchise-tag-jairus-byrd-if-needed)
Giants GM Reese: Tuck, Nicks deserve to hit free-agent market (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327817/article/giants-gm-hakeem-nicks-tuck-deserve-to-hit-market)

Well its the offseason and its something people are going to pay attention too, there is not a lot of people who pay attention to news about the combine. You may find it very interesting but I would imagine your average fan is not even paying attention to combine results and mock drafts.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and by the way who did the nfl fine?

Aussie_steeler
02-23-2014, 03:41 AM

To tell you the truth DWINS, I would read none of those stories.

Like ESPN and other networks, NFL.COM has an agenda to drive = Traffic ( doesn't matter if it its positive or negative)

Fortunately I can set my own agenda when viewing online. I avoid ESPN, foxsports, NFL.com, etc etc etc.

There has been some great Combine discussion at multiple sites with a steelers / draft focus.

Lets move on and talk about 40 times, drills, interviews and more important -- our own draft boards. I am two days behind the curve after a fishing weekend and its time to catch up on the real news for us draft geeks.

Godfather
02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Im sure it will be an issue for some players but so what, most players however will not care.

That's because most players have already had a gay teammate that they knew was gay. The only thing that makes Michael Sam different is the general public knows. And most of us don't care either.

BSPN is turning it into a media circus and by doing so, they are doing more harm than good. The ultimate goal is for people to not give a second thought to whether someone is gay or straight...but BSPN is making a huge deal of it which is the opposite of what best serves the LGBT population. They're also hurting Michael Sam and Jason Collins career-wise; the latter is a marginal player at best and there are questions about whether the former's skill set will translate successfully to the NFL. Coaches need to minimize distractions to be successful and if you're a marginal player, the last thing you need to have following you is a media circus. Look at Tim Tebow as an example--without all the distractions he'd probably be a backup somewhere.

Dwinsgames
02-23-2014, 04:27 PM
That's because most players have already had a gay teammate that they knew was gay. The only thing that makes Michael Sam different is the general public knows. And most of us don't care either.

BSPN is turning it into a media circus and by doing so, they are doing more harm than good. The ultimate goal is for people to not give a second thought to whether someone is gay or straight...but BSPN is making a huge deal of it which is the opposite of what best serves the LGBT population. They're also hurting Michael Sam and Jason Collins career-wise; the latter is a marginal player at best and there are questions about whether the former's skill set will translate successfully to the NFL. Coaches need to minimize distractions to be successful and if you're a marginal player, the last thing you need to have following you is a media circus. Look at Tim Tebow as an example--without all the distractions he'd probably be a backup somewhere.

good post ...

get his name out of the headlines , he is not a budding superstar or even a top flight prospect ...

guys who are doing things related to the game are not getting anywhere near the publicity Sam is garnering and it is wrong , they are doing an injustice to Sam and every prospect deserving of the headlines Sam is instead getting

Texasteel
02-23-2014, 05:10 PM

Add without the media attention Tebow probably is not drafted in the first round, at lest not that early. Its amazing that some teams spend so much on scouting, and then seem to draft from news paper clippings.

st33lersguy
02-23-2014, 06:00 PM
This guy's name was mentioned along side Jadaveon Clowney in the NFL Network commercial for the combine, that is ridiculous. This guy is getting way too much attention. I don't hate him for being gay, but simply coming out does not warrant a media circus.

SteelerFanInStl
02-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Who cares? Personally I don't give a shit who they decide to mention in their commercials. I really don't know why it would bother anyone. They're simply putting people in there that are currently in the news and who they think will draw viewers.

steeldawg
02-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Add without the media attention Tebow probably is not drafted in the first round, at lest not that early. Its amazing that some teams spend so much on scouting, and then seem to draft from news paper clippings.

This is a great example, Tebow in the first round still baffles me to this day. I really cant blame espn for reporting on Michael sam though, it a story and they are a news outlet. You only have so much offseason news, and outside of some top names at the combine, the stories are scarce.

st33lersguy
02-23-2014, 11:57 PM
This is a great example, Tebow in the first round still baffles me to this day. I really cant blame espn for reporting on Michael sam though, it a story and they are a news outlet. You only have so much offseason news, and outside of some top names at the combine, the stories are scarce.

Josh McDaniels was the coach, hope that explains it better

Dwinsgames
03-01-2014, 02:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhnYZVKCUAAaEYH.jpg

steeldawg
03-02-2014, 09:52 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhnYZVKCUAAaEYH.jpg

That's not accurate, in fact I would argue that tebow gained much more positive recognition for his beliefs and there was never a question of whether he could survive in an nfl locker room. Fans where wanting tebow to be the starting qb for there football team, even though he could barley complete a pass. I also think it helped his draft status as his religious beliefs where translated as an intangible for winning football games. As far as the gay athletes go, There is something to be said for a guy who stands up for who he is despite the odds and does it even though it may damage his career or his branding. People act like tebow brought Christianity to the nfl, I would venture a guess that 90+ percent of the league identifies as Christian.

Godfather
03-02-2014, 06:21 PM
That's not accurate, in fact I would argue that tebow gained much more positive recognition for his beliefs and there was never a question of whether he could survive in an nfl locker room. Fans where wanting tebow to be the starting qb for there football team, even though he could barley complete a pass. I also think it helped his draft status as his religious beliefs where translated as an intangible for winning football games. As far as the gay athletes go, There is something to be said for a guy who stands up for who he is despite the odds and does it even though it may damage his career or his branding. People act like tebow brought Christianity to the nfl, I would venture a guess that 90+ percent of the league identifies as Christian.

I think it's more a commentary on the media, not society as a whole.

Dwinsgames
03-02-2014, 06:49 PM

not even sure where to begin to debate the 100 things you throw out all at once ......

FACT Tebow would be in the NFL right now on some teams roster if he where not so vocal about his beliefs , that is basically the league telling him to shut up but not giving him a job ...

Fact it is the same league driving the bus for the media on Sam ...

end of story

SteelerFanInStl
03-02-2014, 07:00 PM
FACT Tebow would be in the NFL right now on some teams roster if he where not so vocal about his beliefs , that is basically the league telling him to shut up but not giving him a job ...

Where's the fact in this statement? I have nothing against Tebow or Christianity but what you're stating is an opinion, not fact.

The truth is that Tebow isn't on an NFL team because he's not an NFL caliber QB and he refuses to play another position.

Dwinsgames
03-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Where's the fact in this statement? I have nothing against Tebow or Christianity but what you're stating is an opinion, not fact.

The truth is that Tebow isn't on an NFL team because he's not an NFL caliber QB and he refuses to play another position.

as starved as this league is for QBs who can WIN , a backup even a 3rd string job would be open someplace , but it is not because the teams do not want to deal with the media circus involved with Tebow on the roster and the rest of the teams do not want to deal with the fan base screaming for him to play when the starter stinks it up .... perhaps that is opinion but it is one that is widely believed by most of the football public and some " unamed teams " have even said as much

Any team asked about Tebow since the Jets released him last week have said they have no interest. It appears that not all of it is because of his questionable throwing accuracy.
“He seems like a great guy to have on a team, and I’d be tempted to bring him in as our backup,” an NFC head coach told Yahoo Sports.
“But it’s just not worth dealing with all the stuff that comes with it.”

steeldawg
03-02-2014, 09:14 PM
not even sure where to begin to debate the 100 things you throw out all at once ......

Fact it is the same league driving the bus for the media on Sam ...

end of story

Tebow not in the nfl because he sucks it has nothing to do with him being vocal about his beliefs, plenty of players are vocal about their beliefs and they have jobs. Also the league is full of guys with criminal records who manage to keep their jobs, would seem odd for the nfl to black list tim tebow. The nfl is trying to go for a clean accepting tolerant image why in the world would they want to keep tebow out of the league? He was the token little Christian white boy from Gainesville throwing passes with a halo above his head, he flat out doesn't have a contract because he sucks, patriots just had him in camp this past year and he couldn't make the third string.

- - - Updated - - -

as starved as this league is for QBs who can WIN , a backup even a 3rd string job would be open someplace , but it is not because the teams do not want to deal with the media circus involved with Tebow on the roster and the rest of the teams do not want to deal with the fan base screaming for him to play when the starter stinks it up .... perhaps that is opinion but it is one that is widely believed by most of the football public and some " unamed teams " have even said as much

Ya hes a circus why put up with it when he sucks, If he was good he would have a contract. Nfl teams will deal with distractions if the player is worth it, if he is not than they wont. That is plenty evident with the guys who constantly break the law but are superstars.

SteelerFanInStl
03-02-2014, 10:47 PM

He's only a marginal talent. That's why they don't want to deal with the extra media attention. Besides, all of that media attention isn't going to be bad.

If he was any good, teams would be willing to put up with it.

I guess I should have read steeldawg's post before replying. He basically said the same thing.

Dwinsgames
03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
He's only a marginal talent. That's why they don't want to deal with the extra media attention. Besides, all of that media attention isn't going to be bad.

If he was any good, teams would be willing to put up with it.

I guess I should have read steeldawg's post before replying. He basically said the same thing.

that is the point of the original post that started this debate ..... NFL teams do not want to deal with the Tebow media circus , yet the same league that is distancing themselves from him is publicizing Sam ( who will create yet another media circus ) ..... Michael Sam is also just another marginal talent ......

SteelerFanInStl
03-03-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm really not even sure why we're comparing Michael Sam to Tim Tebow. Tim Tebow was not the first openly Christian player in the NFL. Far from it. Michael Sam is getting publicity because he is the first openly gay player in the NFL. Any event that's a "first" gets a lot of attention, good or bad.

I'm sure that there will be teams that pass on drafting Michael Sam because they don't want the media attention. Other teams will pass on him because he doesn't fit what they're looking for in an NFL player

All players should be judged based on their talent for playing football in the NFL, not on their religious beliefs, skin color, sexual preference, etc.

Dwinsgames
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
All players should be judged based on their talent for playing football in the NFL, not on their religious beliefs, skin color, sexual preference, etc.

THIS ....

now if only the media would listen and give hype to only those deserving based on football merit and nothing else

zulater
03-09-2014, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ezE7QTk2o

Sams was very excited to be at the combine. :wtf:

Dwinsgames
03-09-2014, 08:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ezE7QTk2o

Sams was very excited to be at the combine. :wtf:

all those other guys running . sweating in tights and shorts I guess :wtf: ... what happens in the showers if this happens with clothes on ??