PDA

View Full Version : Regional combines

Dwinsgames
02-09-2014, 10:33 AM
big boy combine gets a huge amount of snubs leaving the regionals and if perform well enough invites to the super regionals .....

the problem with all this is not all the kids deserving will be able to attend because of Fee's / Travel expenses that the kids themselves have to pay for out of pocket ...

College kids fresh our of school ( and some still attending classes at this point ) simply do not have a grand or more laying around for the process ....

$250-$300 in entrance fees plus travel and expenses associated with being away from home is just not easy to come by ...

I think it is high time the schools these kids bust their humps for and risk injury / careers for over 4 years ponies up and takes care of the kids that took care of their program for 4 years ...

just my 2 cents

Psycho Ward 86
02-09-2014, 03:43 PM
considering 99% of the NFL caliber ones are on full ride or near full ride scholarships im going to say no. but theres room for clause imo so i dont completely disagree

Chidi29
02-09-2014, 04:05 PM
If these players have agents, they should be paying for their expenses.

Godfather
02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
A lot of schools have a Pro Day where the teams can send scouts to work out the players.

Dwinsgames
02-09-2014, 05:31 PM
most schools do have a pro day but that is just part of the process , those regional combines are an important part of the process ( remember its all about exposure , the more you have the better you are for it )

as for agents , yes that is part and does help for guys that have got signed on but some of the regional's have already begun , not a ton of time to find representation when everyone else is trying at the same time ( you can not get representation before the last game or it is a ncaa violation )

and MANY of these small school kids will find it tough to get quality representation and did not get full rides in school either ( and this is what the regionals was all about to start with ) guys who did not get invited to the big combine

Chidi29
02-09-2014, 11:43 PM
Eh, you have at least a month to find an agent. Not exactly a difficult endeavor.

steelerdude15
02-10-2014, 12:48 PM
If these players have agents, they should be paying for their expenses.

Here's my question though. Since some of the players are still in school, could this potentially be illegal for receiving benefits while in college? I mean, technically they wouldn't be receiving a house, money, etc, but could that still fall under that spectrum?

Dwinsgames
02-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Eh, you have at least a month to find an agent. Not exactly a difficult endeavor.

not if still enrolled in school as many are ...

slightly off topic but a very interesting read none the less ...

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/09/13/ncaa-rules-trap-many-college-athletes-in-poverty/

Chidi29
02-11-2014, 12:27 AM
not if still enrolled in school as many are ...

slightly off topic but a very interesting read none the less ...

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/09/13/ncaa-rules-trap-many-college-athletes-in-poverty/

Huh? No, you can have an agent and still go to school. You just can't play football anymore. Did all this year's seniors suddenly drop out in their final semester?