PDA

View Full Version : PGA Championship

Hindes204
08-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I think this may be the first golf thread on this site, doesn't anybody here enjoy golf as much as me?....anyway, just wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else is watching today or this weekend, maybe predict a winner

Hindes204
08-12-2010, 06:31 PM
wow....crickets.................................We ll, I love golf, so maybe I will just have a conversation with myself in here until they decide this thread is worthless and delete it. So Shawn, what did you think of todays round? I thought it was good, lot of solid golf, I dont think Bubba Watson will be able to hold on to the lead very long though. Tiger had an ok round, started off really strong but it fell apart on him, definitely not playing golf like he used to

Aussie_steeler
08-13-2010, 04:13 AM
Ok Hindes, I will help out.

For some strange reason we have no free to air coverage of the PGA this year. So I am relying heavily on net coverage to see how the tournament pans out.

Dont see Bubba having the head to last the distance here this week. In my gut I think that an aussie may well be suited to this course. Jason Day is a streaky player who may well hang on. ( I played in 2006 Australian Amatuer championship and saw Jason Day shoot an 8 under 64 in the first round enroute to winning the title - he can light it up when he is on)

I do like the chances of Michael Sim however.

How is your game at the moment Hindes????

Hindes204
08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Ok Hindes, I will help out.

For some strange reason we have no free to air coverage of the PGA this year. So I am relying heavily on net coverage to see how the tournament pans out.

Dont see Bubba having the head to last the distance here this week. In my gut I think that an aussie may well be suited to this course. Jason Day is a streaky player who may well hang on. ( I played in 2006 Australian Amatuer championship and saw Jason Day shoot an 8 under 64 in the first round enroute to winning the title - he can light it up when he is on)

I do like the chances of Michael Sim however.

How is your game at the moment Hindes????

Elkington looked good today, hopefully he can keep it up when they finish up round 2 tomorrow. Jason Day is having an average round, even through 12...but hes only 22 years old, this kid has potential. The round of the day easily goes to American Jason Dufner, who after a roller coaster round of 73 yesterday, posted a bogey free round of 66. Though I definitely dont think he has the skill or mindset to keep up that caliber of play through the weekend. Lefty had a sweet shot out of the sand today, his sand and short game are amazing. My prediction: Rory McIlroy...that kid has a ridiculous amount of talent and his time is coming.

As far as my game....definitely not as good as yours if you played in the 06 Amateur Championship, lol.
Im ok, handicap is around a 15, but I really enjoy the game. I try to get out at least once a week

Aussie_steeler
08-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Rumor has it that Lefty is battling the onset of chronic arthritis.

I havent seen any results yet.......I am going to look at a leaderboard now and get back into this post.

OK after looking at the board its good to see 4 aussies are in the running Elk, Day, Sim and the dark horse of the 4 marc leishman - (I played in the tasmanian open the year he won it just in front of geoff ogilvy. )

Of the other players I think I would have my money on possibly the steeler fan - Jim Furyk. When his short game on he is hard to keep out.

McIlroy will be the next superstar on the tour. I just hope he wins a major soon so that he can gain the confidence to dominate the scene 4 a while.

You sound like you would be a good player to have in a 4ball or ambrose. We have just adopted the US handicapping system in Australia and most people have had big changes to their handicaps. I like the new system as my handicap changed from 1 ( played to 1 0r 2 for the past 7 years) to scratch. It has taken me 26 years of golfing to get there but I can finally grow old gracefully and tell my kids and grandkids that I was once a scratch golfer.

I would love to keep talking golf to you. We might have to start up a golfing thread and share some yarns......( i have just started collecting persimmon drivers and today I score 2 beauties for $2 today at a garage sale..... Bargain.)

Hindes204
08-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Rumor has it that Lefty is battling the onset of chronic arthritis.

I havent seen any results yet.......I am going to look at a leaderboard now and get back into this post.

OK after looking at the board its good to see 4 aussies are in the running Elk, Day, Sim and the dark horse of the 4 marc leishman - (I played in the tasmanian open the year he won it just in front of geoff ogilvy. )

Of the other players I think I would have my money on possibly the steeler fan - Jim Furyk. When his short game on he is hard to keep out.

McIlroy will be the next superstar on the tour. I just hope he wins a major soon so that he can gain the confidence to dominate the scene 4 a while.

You sound like you would be a good player to have in a 4ball or ambrose. We have just adopted the US handicapping system in Australia and most people have had big changes to their handicaps. I like the new system as my handicap changed from 1 ( played to 1 0r 2 for the past 7 years) to scratch. It has taken me 26 years of golfing to get there but I can finally grow old gracefully and tell my kids and grandkids that I was once a scratch golfer.

I would love to keep talking golf to you. We might have to start up a golfing thread and share some yarns......( i have just started collecting persimmon drivers and today I score 2 beauties for $2 today at a garage sale..... Bargain.)

Jim Furyk and McIlroy are both near the top of the leaderboard so round three today should be good. Vijay is up there too after finishing the second round with a 66. Lot of well known player up there, so itll be an interesting weekend.

Scratch golfer....I wish. Ive been playing about 15 years and have never broken 80...been close a few times though.

I was thinking about starting a golf thread, or maybe even a group. Judging by this thread, doesnt seem like there is much interest. Maybe we should start one anyway, as this site grows, maybe more golfers will be on here

Hindes204
08-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Cool, Elk is paired up with Tiger today. It'll be interesting to see if he steps his game up

Aussie_steeler
08-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Hindes - If you play weekly and put in some practice I reckon that I could help you get better just by talking about a few things here.

The quickest way to improve is to:

1. work on your short game. If you can make even a small improvement in your chipping you will be surprised how many shots you can immediately save.

2. When you are hitting your second shots into the green take out long. Once you miss a green past pin high it is much harder to get up and down. THe easiest shot in golf is the uphill chipshot from the front of the green. This is one you can learn to master very quickly.

3. From the front of the green you can use the uphill nature of the green to act as a backstop.

(this philosophy is great if your course has no bunkers in front of the green. )

I would love to hear what type of course you play on. I am sure we could work out a game plan that would instantly help your scoring

I will get back to you once I have checked out the 3rd round scores.

Hindes204
08-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Hindes - If you play weekly and put in some practice I reckon that I could help you get better just by talking about a few things here.

The quickest way to improve is to:

1. work on your short game. If you can make even a small improvement in your chipping you will be surprised how many shots you can immediately save.

2. When you are hitting your second shots into the green take out long. Once you miss a green past pin high it is much harder to get up and down. THe easiest shot in golf is the uphill chipshot from the front of the green. This is one you can learn to master very quickly.

3. From the front of the green you can use the uphill nature of the green to act as a backstop.

(this philosophy is great if your course has no bunkers in front of the green. )

I would love to hear what type of course you play on. I am sure we could work out a game plan that would instantly help your scoring

I will get back to you once I have checked out the 3rd round scores.

I actually just started lessons after 15 years of trying to teach myself, its kinda like learning all over again, but my game has already improved drastically just from practicing the fundamentals. My short game was always a bad part of my game and I just started really working on it. I went from putting from 20 yards off the green (because it was much safer than chipping for me) to chipping it in pretty close consistently.

I have a few videos of my swing if you want to see them, pm me your email addy and ill send them to you, maybe you can see something I dont.

This is why we should start a golf thread, show the courses weve played, and talk golf...Ill start one later.

Back to the Championship....Both our "picks" look good today, Rory and Furyk are both -9, 3 back from the leader

Aussie_steeler
08-14-2010, 10:42 PM
If Rory gets off to a flyer I think he will blow them away.

If he wobbles a bit early someone like Furyk will chip away at the inexperienced leaders and he will be right there at the finish.

I still love how free and easy the ELK's swing is. Its as smooth as silk.

memphissteelergirl
08-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Wow...a bizarre ending to the tourney I must say

But to be honest, that "bunker" didn't look like a bunker to me at first, either. And with all those people around....?

That said...rules are there for a reason. But I think Dustin will use it as motivation for next year.

Next season's gonna be fun watching the "young guns" (McIlroy, Kaymer, Johnson et al) coming up.

Looking forward to the Ryder Cup, too.

venom
08-17-2010, 08:48 AM
That was no bunker . It had people sitting on it , standing on it and walking all over it . If only someone would have asked if it was a bunker . Oh well.

Hindes204
08-17-2010, 08:55 AM
That was no bunker . It had people sitting on it , standing on it and walking all over it . If only someone would have asked if it was a bunker . Oh well.

Unfortunately for him, it was a bunker...it was clearly stated in the rules before play. I also think he got screwed, but you cant bend the rules, thats why the rule was put in place before the tournament started, for this exact situation. There are literally thousand of bunkers on Whistling Straights, some no bigger than a can of paint, but they are still considered bunkers