PDA

View Full Version : Passing of a Legend

Dwinsgames
02-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Ralph Kiner passed away today he was 91 RIP

X-Terminator
02-06-2014, 05:22 PM
What a career he had with the Pirates during a time when they weren't very good at all. He pretty much was the only good player they had back then.

RIP Ralph. You will be missed.

Edman
02-07-2014, 08:47 AM
91! Wow! That's a full life for sure.

Mamaduck43
02-07-2014, 09:34 AM
He was my first sports hero - - I remember sitting by the radio in the livingroom listening to the games, and I was fortunate enough to go to Forbes Field several times to see him play.... He was quite a slugger.....

A few years ago, my son had flown from Hawaii to work a booth at the Chicago Sports Card Show, and Ralph Kiner was scheduled to be there for a signing.... I told Jeff that the only thing I wanted from his trip was an autograph... Jeff was working the Official T-shirt booth closest to the autograph section and one of the things that he got to do was to present the signers with a complementary T=shirt and he also had a cooler of water and sodas that he would offer as well... Jeff called me in Hawaii and said that someone wanted to talk to me.... This voice came on the phone, "Hi, Patti, this is Ralph Kiner.... I understand you are a fan.' I about dropped the phone and for a few seconds, I was actually speechless - - quite a trick..... Anyway, we talked for a few minutes, and Jeff brought home with him, one of my prized possessions - - an autographed photo with a personalized note attached... It now occupies a place of honor in my Fancave......

steelerdude15
02-07-2014, 09:49 AM
He was my first sports hero - - I remember sitting by the radio in the livingroom listening to the games, and I was fortunate enough to go to Forbes Field several times to see him play.... He was quite a slugger.....

A few years ago, my son had flown from Hawaii to work a booth at the Chicago Sports Card Show, and Ralph Kiner was scheduled to be there for a signing.... I told Jeff that the only thing I wanted from his trip was an autograph... Jeff was working the Official T-shirt booth closest to the autograph section and one of the things that he got to do was to present the signers with a complementary T=shirt and he also had a cooler of water and sodas that he would offer as well... Jeff called me in Hawaii and said that someone wanted to talk to me.... This voice came on the phone, "Hi, Patti, this is Ralph Kiner.... I understand you are a fan.' I about dropped the phone and for a few seconds, I was actually speechless - - quite a trick..... Anyway, we talked for a few minutes, and Jeff brought home with him, one of my prized possessions - - an autographed photo with a personalized note attached... It now occupies a place of honor in my Fancave......

Now that's an awesome experience! I have an experience somewhat like that with ex-Steeler Mike Collier. He played on the Steelers in the seventies and was on the '75 team that won against Dallas in Super Bowl X.

Anyways, one of the greatest Pirates to ever play passed away. He is definitely a legend and I hope that he rests in peace. Even though I wasn't alive when he played, I understand the importance and legacy he has for the Pirates, Mets, and baseball in general. I think it would be cool if the Pirates wore a number four patch on their jerseys this year or did what they did with Chuck Tanner and have his jersey on the outfield wall at PNC Park.