PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Foundation poised to help replace slain Pittsburgh police dog

stillers4me
02-04-2014, 05:21 AM
However priceless a police K-9 like Rocco becomes to his handler, his handler's family and his unit, acquiring and training him comes at great cost.

The Pittsburgh Bureau of Police spends between $6,500 and $8,000 to purchase an untrained dog with Rocco's raw talent for police work, according to a spokesperson. Sharpening that talent into real, proven skills can costs tens of thousands of dollars and months of training, creating an additional burden for an already grieving police unit when a canine officer dies.

Pittsburgh is still mourning the loss of Rocco, an 8-year-old German shepherd originally from the Czech Republic who will be honored with a service at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum in Oakland on Friday........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2014/02/04/Foundation-poised-to-help-replace-slain-police-dog/stories/201402040069#ixzz2sLqDgGvX

I don't think there was ever any doubt that Ben was going help with this one.

steelerdude15
02-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Right after this story broke, I wondered if his foundation was going to donate a new dog for the PPD. I'm glad to see it could possibly happen.

stillers4me
02-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Ben Roethlisberger - BigBen7.com (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ben-Roethlisberger-BigBen7com/122621564488599)
Statement from Ben this evening:

"The Ben Roethlisberger Foundation started when a police K-9 was shot and killed where I grew up, in Findlay, OH. My family and I were moved by what that dog meant to the police force, and learned that similar K-9′s all over the country are helping to keep our communities safe. This last week, a K-9 officer named Rocco was killed in my current hometown of Pittsburgh. After talking with officer Phil Lerza and getting his blessing, the Ben Roethlisberger Foundation would like to announce that we are going to get Officer Lerza a new dog. Rocco can never be replaced, but we only hope to help with the healing process and to provide Officer Lerza with another loyal partner."