PDA

View Full Version : Who starts at QB Saturday?

Burghfan58
08-12-2010, 10:07 AM
My guess would be Ben for 2 series Lefty till middle of the 3rd quarter. Dixon the rest of third and most of 4th with Batch cleaning up what's left. Or maybe Batch gets zero time for now.

Killer
08-12-2010, 10:22 AM
If Charlie's gonna break something, we might as well let him play early and get it over with.

The Duke
08-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Yeah, let batch play the whole fourth with the 3rd string oline

keep ben byron and dixon safe

SteelMember
08-12-2010, 11:12 AM
If Charlie's gonna break something, we might as well let him play early and get it over with.

:lol:

Cut to the chase, as they say.

If Byron is gonna be our starter while Ben's in timout, I don't think he'll play past the half. I think Dixon will get the majority of snaps.

Killer
08-12-2010, 11:26 AM
let batch play the whole fourth with the 3rd string oline

keep ben byron and dixon safe

sounds good to me

Mach1
08-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Batch will probly break something tying his shoes.

Killer
08-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Tomlin: Starter at QB a game-time secret

Thursday, August 12, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin was non-committal today about which quarterback will start and even whether Ben Roethlisberger will play when the Steelers open their preseason against the Detroit Lions Saturday night at Heinz Field.

In a morning news conference at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Tomlin said the starter will play anywhere from eight to 12 snaps against the Lions, but he would not reveal whether Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon would be the starting quarterback.

While saying it's "theoretically" possible Roethlisberger could take some snaps with the second-team offense, Tomlin also said there's a chance his two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback won't play against the Lions.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10224/1079587-100.stm#ixzz0wPUvtWlj

-------------

so there you have it - shhh, it's a secret

tony hipchest
08-12-2010, 11:50 AM
this has bruce arians "mental warfare" written all over it.

since everyone knows the team will run the ball in a hurricaine he will come out throwing.

since everyone knows it will be either ben or byron, expect batch to start. that will throw them off and gain us an edge. :applaudit:

siss
08-12-2010, 11:54 AM
:lol:

Cut to the chase, as they say.

If Byron is gonna be our starter while Ben's in timout, I don't think he'll play past the half. I think Dixon will get the majority of snaps.

It does kinda feel like a elaborate time out doesn't it!

SteelCityMom
08-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I was just going to ask today about whether or not Ben was allowed to play in preseason games b/c of the suspension...wasn't sure how that worked. This answers my question in full!

IMO it would be stupid if Tomlin didn't put Ben out there in all the preseason games...even if it's with the 2nd string. He's already going to be missing significant playing time, no reason to add to that.

Shoes
08-12-2010, 12:06 PM

The coaching staff is displaying some very impressive strategy here.... :chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
08-12-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't get why they just don't let Dixon start, see if he's any good throughout the entire preseason. You know what you're getting with Lefty, a statue that can throw the ball far, but can't really lead a team to victory through the coarse of an entire season.

Batch...will break, everyone knows it. I say give Dixon the start, let him take the reigns for the entire preseason and let him play opening day. All he has to do is turn, hand the ball to Mendy, then once in a blue moon...

Throw the ball really really really really really deep to Wallace who will be way past the coverage, and then, once in a while, throw the ball somewhere near Ward...he'll catch it.

Done.

fansince'76
08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
this has bruce arians "mental warfare" written all over it.

For a preseason game? :chuckle:

Killer
08-12-2010, 01:20 PM
I guess I'll wait till Sunday to watch

NFL CHANNEL SUN 10:00 AM NFL PRESEASON GAME: 2010 NFL Preseason Game: Detroit Lions vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/networkschedule?selectedMonth=August&field=selectedDate&selectedDate=08%2F15%2F2010

Psycho Ward 86
08-12-2010, 01:30 PM
1) I don't get why they just don't let Dixon start, see if he's any good throughout the entire preseason. 2) You know what you're getting with Lefty, a statue that can throw the ball far, but can't really lead a team to victory through the coarse of an entire season.

Batch...will break, everyone knows it. I say give Dixon the start, let him take the reigns for the entire preseason and let him play opening day. 3) All he has to do is turn, hand the ball to Mendy, then once in a blue moon...

Throw the ball really really really really really deep to Wallace who will be way past the coverage, and then, once in a while, throw the ball somewhere near Ward...he'll catch it.

Done.

1) Because Cowher tried splitting snaps between multiple QB's before and it failed hard.

2) We dont need him leading for an entire season. Just 4-6 games. We get it guys...Dixon completed less than half of his passes for little yardage and had a dead even TD to INT ratio against one of the best defenses in the NFL last year. In one game. Seriously, has one game commanded that much respect from so many people? One game of success (does a QB rating of 60 actually count lol?) says so little. Some people hardly give any due credit to the fact that Mendenhall nearly broke the century mark on the Ravens to keep the heat off of Dixon. That games was all about Mendenhall.

3) You make it sound so easy when its not.

SteelMember
08-12-2010, 01:40 PM
It's pretty simple, imo.

Who need's the most live game snaps for the coaches to review.

Ben... They know what they have.
Byron... They know what they're getting.
Charlie... Even broken, they know what they'll get.

So, imo it's pretty obvious who should, and needs to get the most snaps.
You said it yourself. Dixon doesn't have much playing time. What better time to evaluate then in a meaningless pre-season game.

The starters will play the most in game 3. That's the way it usually goes anyway.

Nadroj 20
08-12-2010, 03:23 PM
1) Because Cowher tried splitting snaps between multiple QB's before and it failed hard.

2) We dont need him leading for an entire season. Just 4-6 games. We get it guys...Dixon completed less than half of his passes for little yardage and had a dead even TD to INT ratio against one of the best defenses in the NFL last year. In one game. Seriously, has one game commanded that much respect from so many people? One game of success (does a QB rating of 60 actually count lol?) says so little. Some people hardly give any due credit to the fact that Mendenhall nearly broke the century mark on the Ravens to keep the heat off of Dixon. That games was all about Mendenhall.

3) You make it sound so easy when its not.

When it comes down to it...I'd rather have someone be able to run for his life like Dixon. Based off his last season in Tampa, why should Byron be given anymore credit then Dixon?

SteelerEmpire
08-12-2010, 03:34 PM
I guess I'll wait till Sunday to watch

NFL CHANNEL SUN 10:00 AM NFL PRESEASON GAME: 2010 NFL Preseason Game: Detroit Lions vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/networkschedule?selectedMonth=August&field=selectedDate&selectedDate=08%2F15%2F2010

Not if the NFL can squeeze $40 out of ya... LINK: https://preseason.nfl.com/nflpl/secure/registerform?icampaign=HP_PL_ChapterImage&module=HP_cp2

....Live and on your computer even...

Psycho Ward 86
08-12-2010, 03:48 PM
When it comes down to it...I'd rather have someone be able to run for his life like Dixon. Based off his last season in Tampa, why should Byron be given anymore credit then Dixon?

Because he's been playing serviceable football for years; most definitely better than and more reliable than Dixon. Oh noooes!! he got sacked a whole 2 times in 3 starts behind a dreadful buccaneers' o-line (Other than Penn and Faine). If your point is that a mobile quarterback is better than an immobile one, that's just bad generalizing. Leftwich has been sacked somewhat sparingly throughout his career: 1 time per 17.75 attempts. Considering some of the dreadful O-lines he's been a part of (Bucs '09, Steelers '08, Jaguars for the most part), that's great. Forget the long windup and immobility if he can get the ball out harmlessly. Leftwich has 49 starts to Dixon's 1. A seasoned vet is just a better choice most of the time when you put them apples to apples against an inexperienced kid who's just hyped because of all this upside he may or may not have. We dont what were getting when Dixon's on the field, we do when Leftwich is out there.

HometownGal
08-12-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't discount anything Tomlin said with regard to Ben possibly not playing on Saturday night. I would think (hope) that he would want to get Byron as much work as possible so I think we will most likely see Byron for the first 2 quarters, Dix in the 3rd and Ben or Botch in the 4th.

Killer
08-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Not if the NFL can squeeze $40 out of ya.......Live and on your computer even...

Screw that - it's just preseason - I'll wait a day to watch it on the big screen with HD DVR so I can dissect every play a dozen times frame by frame in super slo-mo.

HometownGal
08-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Because he's been playing serviceable football for years; most definitely better than and more reliable than Dixon. Oh noooes!! he got sacked a whole 2 times in 3 starts behind a dreadful buccaneers' o-line (Other than Penn and Faine). If your point is that a mobile quarterback is better than an immobile one, that's just bad generalizing. Leftwich has been sacked somewhat sparingly throughout his career: 1 time per 17.75 attempts. Considering some of the dreadful O-lines he's been a part of (Bucs '09, Steelers '08, Jaguars for the most part), that's great. Forget the long windup and immobility if he can get the ball out harmlessly. Leftwich has 49 starts to Dixon's 1. A seasoned vet is just a better choice most of the time when you put them apples to apples against an inexperienced kid who's just hyped because of all this upside he may or may not have. We dont what were getting when Dixon's on the field, we do when Leftwich is out there.

:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

Excellent post and analogy. :drink:

Nadroj 20
08-12-2010, 04:07 PM

No we dont! How do we know what we get with Lefty? cause thus far...and ive seen it myself when i went there, hes not been great in TC.

The only thing Lefty has over Dixon is experience and thats not even Dixons fault! Give him a chance thats all im saying.

Sure Lefty has a cannon but whats the use of a strong arm if hes being pressured/on his back...we want accuracy. Not saying Dixon is accurate but we will never know until he gets more reps.

I have said time and time again that if Lefty is the starter then i'll back him and the coaches decision, but all of the Lefty backers seem to think he is UNDOUBTLY the BEST choice and I just dont see why they do not think there is some conflict in the situation...

Burghfan58
08-12-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't discount anything Tomlin said with regard to Ben possibly not playing on Saturday night. I would think (hope) that he would want to get Byron as much work as possible so I think we will most likely see Byron for the first 2 quarters, Dix in the 3rd and Ben or Botch in the 4th.

Not like Ben isn't used to being hit but I can't see Tomlin taking the risk of putting Ben in with the second and third string O-line.

Psycho Ward 86
08-12-2010, 05:00 PM
1) No we dont! How do we know what we get with Lefty? cause thus far...and ive seen it myself when i went there, 2) hes not been great in TC.

The only thing Lefty has over Dixon is experience and thats not even Dixons fault! 3) Give him a chance thats all im saying.

Sure Lefty has a cannon but whats the use of a strong arm if hes being pressured/on his back...4) we want accuracy. Not saying Dixon is accurate but we will never know until he gets more reps.

I have said time and time again that if Lefty is the starter then i'll back him and the coaches decision, but all of the Lefty backers seem to think he is UNDOUBTLY the BEST choice and I just dont see why they do not think there is some conflict in the situation...

1) Because he was phenomenal when he was down in Pittsburgh two years ago, albeit, limited playing time

2) Havent heard a report from the local media yet that thoroughly indicates that Dixon should be the starter. Ive read that he's been dreadful in the two minute drill. Then again, i havent been to TC so i dont get as good of a look so i wont totally butt heads with you on that one.

3) We did. I know what you're trying to say is that we should give Dixon a chance in a legitimate game, but he cant outgun Leftwich in practice, why would he be able to in a real game? Not gonna lie lol, my curiosity is itching to see what Dixon's made of, but i want to win first and foremost and i think Leftwich gives us the better chance.

4) Well then the points a little moot right? :)

haha, i like this discussion, and i do believe there's "conflict in this situation," but i already picked a side. I love Dixon. The talking heads love him. The coaches love him. I remember during/before OTA's most people here wanted Dixon over Leftwich/Batch, but i just want the QB that will most likely make the least stupid mistakes for us, and i think Leftwich will be able to do that. Dixon is still so young , having him start would be too much of a risk reward thing for me personally. I think he'll be a great QB someday, not immediately like Matt Ryan/Ben Roethlisberger, but later in his upstart career like Jeff Garcia/Terry Bradshaw.

Nadroj 20
08-12-2010, 05:16 PM
1) Because he was phenomenal when he was down in Pittsburgh two years ago, albeit, limited playing time

2) Havent heard a report from the local media yet that thoroughly indicates that Dixon should be the starter. Ive read that he's been dreadful in the two minute drill. Then again, i havent been to TC so i dont get as good of a look so i wont totally butt heads with you on that one.

3) We did. I know what you're trying to say is that we should give Dixon a chance in a legitimate game, but he cant outgun Leftwich in practice, why would he be able to in a real game? Not gonna lie lol, my curiosity is itching to see what Dixon's made of, but i want to win first and foremost and i think Leftwich gives us the better chance.

4) Well then the points a little moot right? :)

haha, i like this discussion, and i do believe there's "conflict in this situation," but i already picked a side. I love Dixon. The talking heads love him. The coaches love him. I remember during/before OTA's most people here wanted Dixon over Leftwich/Batch, but i just want the QB that will most likely make the least stupid mistakes for us, and i think Leftwich will be able to do that. Dixon is still so young , having him start would be too much of a risk reward thing for me personally. I think he'll be a great QB someday, not immediately like Matt Ryan/Ben Roethlisberger, but later in his upstart career like Jeff Garcia/Terry Bradshaw.

I agree this is a good discussion and I enjoy reading your points...and you made good ones. Leftwhich can do it and yes he was great for us 2 years ago I can not deny that. But as you have picked a side so have I and we will have to agree to disagree :thumbsup:

I hope Leftwhich starts and throws for 300 + yds and 3 TD's every game, its not like im wishing for him to do bad. I just really like Dixon and I'm ready to see him get a chance.

I have also said that if Lefty is the starter and beats DD out then obviously he is doing something that Dixon is not, but I'm just thinking about the big picture and im seeing Dixon's mobility as a HUGE advantage for the situation we are in.

Once the preseason starts this discussion will become more interesting :chuckle:

SteelerEmpire
08-12-2010, 05:41 PM
If Ben comes out there he'll probably get a standing ovation...

O'Malley
08-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I agree this is a good discussion and I enjoy reading your points...and you made good ones. Leftwhich can do it and yes he was great for us 2 years ago I can not deny that. But as you have picked a side so have I and we will have to agree to disagree :thumbsup:

I hope Leftwhich starts and throws for 300 + yds and 3 TD's every game, its not like im wishing for him to do bad. I just really like Dixon and I'm ready to see him get a chance.

I have also said that if Lefty is the starter and beats DD out then obviously he is doing something that Dixon is not, but I'm just thinking about the big picture and im seeing Dixon's mobility as a HUGE advantage for the situation we are in.

Once the preseason starts this discussion will become more interesting :chuckle:

I used to watch Dixon play every Saturday(being form Oregon). He is a talented young man. IMO he did great in his first start against the Ravens. Granted he is young and Leftwich has the experience. I believe that either DD or BL can step in and get the job done. I am not really worried about either of them.

stillers4me
08-13-2010, 07:41 PM
I used to watch Dixon play every Saturday(being form Oregon). He is a talented young man. IMO he did great in his first start against the Ravens. Granted he is young and Leftwich has the experience. I believe that either DD or BL can step in and get the job done. I am not really worried about either of them.

Welcome to SU, O'Malley!

O'Malley
08-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Welcome to SU, O'Malley!

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Nadroj 20
08-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Yes he is talented indeed, we will see what happens :thumbsup:

And welcome to SU!!

O'Malley
08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes he is talented indeed, we will see what happens :thumbsup:

And welcome to SU!!

Thank You. I think DD may see a majority of the snaps this week to give the coaches a chance to see how much if any he has improved.