PDA

View Full Version : Steelers could lose another assistant coach; Wilson wanted out

stillers4me
01-27-2014, 04:57 PM
The Steelers might not be done losing assistant coaches.

Defensive assistant Jerry Olsavsky, who played nine seasons for the Steelers, will interview with the Buffalo Bills to be their linebackers coach.

Olsavksy has been a defensive assistant for four seasons with the Steelers and is looking to become a full-time position coach.

Kirby Wilson was not being forced out as the Steelers running backs coach, even though it might appear that way after he made a lateral move to join the Minnesota Vikings.

Wilson was seeking to leave of his own volition and was given permission right after the season from Coach Mike Tomlin to talk with other NFL teams..........

READ MORE @ http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/01/27/Holmgren-still-thinks-he-had-better-team-in-Super-Bowl-XL/stories/201401270002

Count Steeler
01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
I guess Haley rubs Olsavsky the wrong way as well.

MrPgh
01-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Perhaps some of these coaches don't like the way the organization is going in general.

Count Steeler
01-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Perhaps some of these coaches don't like the way the organization is going in general.

So maybe it isn't Haley?

Bluecoat96
01-27-2014, 05:03 PM

That's just ridiculous. You have NO IDEA what they're thinking. This would be a big promotion for him, as opposed staying a defensive assistant with the Steelers.

MrPgh
01-27-2014, 05:07 PM
So maybe it isn't Haley?

He could certainly be part of the problem (and it's not hard to imagine why), but perhaps there's a bigger problem on top of Haley.

Mojouw
01-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Here is the thing. This is a good thing. Ultimately the NFL is (largely) a rational results oriented business.

No one would be hiring/poaching Steelers assistant coaches if they were not talented and well trained. This is likely a mark of a well-run organization. Let Olsavsky go to Buffalo for a few years, learn some new things, and come back here as a better coach once Lebeau retires.

Or we could just assume it is rats off a sinking ship. Which makes zero sense. There is not a line around the block to hire former "Schiano men" or anything to do with Miami.

MrPgh
01-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Here is the thing. This is a good thing. Ultimately the NFL is (largely) a rational results oriented business.

No one would be hiring/poaching Steelers assistant coaches if they were not talented and well trained. This is likely a mark of a well-run organization. Let Olsavsky go to Buffalo for a few years, learn some new things, and come back here as a better coach once Lebeau retires.

Or we could just assume it is rats off a sinking ship. Which makes zero sense. There is not a line around the block to hire former "Schiano men" or anything to do with Miami.

How about when said assistants make lateral moves or take jobs at lesser colleges?

Count Steeler
01-27-2014, 05:15 PM
How about when said assistants make lateral moves or take jobs at lesser colleges?

Speculation all around. Kugler perhaps is more attached to his alma mater and would rather HC for a while. Maybe there is less travel involved and he can spend more time with his family. Maybe the cut in pay (if any) was not significant to him personally and the benefits out weighed staying with the Steelers. Or, he sucked as an O Line coach and he was politely asked to leave. Speculation all around.

Mojouw
01-27-2014, 05:23 PM

One assistant made a lateral move. One. The rest took measurable promotions.

As I stated previously and am now far too lazy to scroll back and find it; I do not consider the jobs taken by Kugler and Montgomery to be anything other than the standard series of incremental promotions and transfers between the NCAA and the NFL that all coaches make as they attempt to build their careers.

Clearly, you disagree and want to see a larger negative trend here. I am not certain you are wrong, but suspect there is no larger "do not work here" issue in Pittsburgh. If there was, why would Munchak even take the interview, much less the job.

blackngldblood
01-27-2014, 05:30 PM

As I stated previously and am now far too lazy to scroll back and find it; I do not consider the jobs taken by Kugler and Montgomery to be anything other than the standard series of incremental promotions and transfers between the NCAA and the NFL that all coaches make as they attempt to build their careers.

Clearly, you disagree and want to see a larger negative trend here. I am not certain you are wrong, but suspect there is no larger "do not work here" issue in Pittsburgh. If there was, why would Munchak even take the interview, much less the job.

It's because Munchak couldn't get a job anywhere else in the NFL. He is a god awfully terrible line coach! C'mon man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrPgh
01-27-2014, 05:51 PM
It's because Munchak couldn't get a job anywhere else in the NFL. He is a god awfully terrible line coach! C'mon man!

Actually it's largely expected Munchak is using 2014 as a stepping stone to be a head coach again in 2015. If it was between Pittsburgh and Houston, he'd probably rather go with the team with a franchise QB and stub RB as opposed to the team that will have an unproven rookie QB and an injury-plagued Arian Foster. Whether or not Haley is an ass doesn't factor into his decision much if his time with the Steelers is only to be used as a stepping stone.

zulater
01-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Jerry wasn't a position coach for the Steelers. The job he took in Buffalo is a promotion.

vasteeler
01-27-2014, 05:57 PM
That's just ridiculous. You have NO IDEA what they're thinking. This would be a big promotion for him, as opposed staying a defensive assistant with the Steelers.

being a drummer i take great offense to your signature........:heh:

Bluecoat96
01-27-2014, 06:16 PM

LMAO! Sorry.

Dwinsgames
01-27-2014, 06:24 PM

this

- - - Updated - - -

as a side note .... Kugler's opening paragraph when introduced at UTEP as HC

SEAN KUGLER: First I would like to thank Dr. Natalicio for allowing this opportunity and Coach Stull, and I thoroughly enjoyed my interview with Richard Adauto and Chris Park, and I appreciate those guys taking their time to come up to Pittsburgh to interview me, and I'm thrilled to be back in El Paso.
As Coach Stull mentioned, this is a second home for me. I spent five years here as a player, eight years here as an assistant coach. Two of my children were conceived here, and I have nothing but (Laughter) fond memories of El Paso.
If you're wondering why I don't have a sports jacket, I'm going to call my wife out right here, she's home watching this on streaming video. Patsy, I love you, but you should have packed my jacket. I'm the first coach in the history of college football to go to a press conference without a sports jacket, so I apologize for that. (Laughter).
It’s great to see old teammates and old friends and that is what makes El Paso unique, the quality of people here and that's why my family loves El Paso and are excited about coming back. I'm excited about this opportunity. This is my first head coaching opportunity. It's something that I've always wanted to do. I've been influenced by some outstanding coaches in my career, and I wish to only emulate some of them.
I do want to say that I've been UTEP's biggest fan from afar from the time I've left until now and I hope to just build upon what Coach Price has done here. I'm Mike Price's biggest fan and I think he's an outstanding coach. The energy and the enthusiasm he brought to this program and the job that he's done is outstanding, and again, I just hope to build upon that and help our program become better.
http://www.ktsm.com/sports/utep-football-head-coach-sean-kugler-press-conference-transcript

does not sound like a guy forced out of Pittsburgh , nor one who left because he hated people in the building ... It does in fact sound to me like a man who loves UTEP . Loves El Paso and is excited about the chance to follow his dream of being a Head Coach in the city he considers his second home ( since he played there 5 years and coached their 8 more previously ) in other words his dream job

so anyone that wants to make something different out of it is just to stupid to fix ...on that note I consider this I hate Haley and want out officially debunked

Devilsdancefloor
01-27-2014, 06:29 PM
So coach wilson is the only one to move laterally, so maybe he got a raise or was upset the steelers hired haley while he was recovering,whateverthe case this is not a sinking ship. if it everyone would be jumping off it. i think some are hitting the panic button. the steelers seem to always lose coaches every few years

GBMelBlount
01-27-2014, 06:40 PM

LOL!

Dwinsgames
01-27-2014, 06:41 PM
So coach wilson is the only one to move laterally, so maybe he got a raise or was upset the steelers hired haley while he was recovering,whateverthe case this is not a sinking ship. if it everyone would be jumping off it. i think some are hitting the panic button. the steelers seem to always lose coaches every few years

if the ship was sinking just how long does anyone think it would Take Dick Lebeau to find a life raft ? my guess he would have already been pulled into the safety of another organization and been out of work Literally 5 min ( using a real watch not Rob Ryan's )

SteelerFanInStl
01-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Coaches leave. That's just the way things happen in the NFL. I'm not crying over any of them that have left.

tube517
01-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Haley probably took Olsavsky and Wilson's furniture.

Count Steeler
01-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Jerry wasn't a position coach for the Steelers. The job he took in Buffalo is a promotion.

You missed the sarcasm, Zu.

Dwinsgames
01-27-2014, 06:59 PM

he probably needed them to go with his stove and fridge , guess we see one more leave because they lost their knick knacks and pictures off the walls along with the draperies

X-Terminator
01-27-2014, 07:53 PM

You can't rule it out, though. I'm not really understanding this sentiment that the FO and ownership are completely infallible. They aren't. They have their warts, from Todd Haley to Mike Tomlin all the way up to AR2.

That said, I don't think Olsavsky leaving is anything to be alarmed about. He's looking for a promotion, and the ceiling is blocked here in Pittsburgh with LeBeau as DC and Butler as LB coach. Not any different than an average Joe looking for a better opportunity. If it's true that Wilson didn't get along with Haley, he wouldn't be the first one. The guy has a reputation of being an egotistical asshole, and I doubt that's changed much now that he's in black and gold.

Dwinsgames
01-27-2014, 08:28 PM
problem is this is all being built on unfounded guess work , Wilson wanted out , but we do not know why , it is all 110% speculation ...

for all we know he is having an affair with a woman he met in London who has ties to the Vikings or lives in Minnesota and went to London to see the game .... and its made up ( nothing evidential to it in the least ) but it is possible and without knowing WHY he left for sure it has as much basis to it as anything else we type here in this forum on this subject ....

is it fair to Wilson to say he is having an affair with a woman from Minnesota ?? I do not think it is , this is how bad rumors start

it is no more fair to Haley to claim he is the reason for Wilson leaving without a basis for it ... regardless of Haleys past episodes with other players/coaches /home builders/dog sitters each incident is build on its own merit with some sort of evidence , this has NONE to this point ....

if there was some evidence fine , but there is none it is all conjecture

GBMelBlount
01-27-2014, 09:14 PM

LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Coaches leave. That's just the way things happen in the NFL. I'm not crying over any of them that have left.

Agreed.

It's nice to have stability in an organization but sometimes change is good as well.

You can always look at someone leaving as an opportunity to upgrade.

Dwinsgames
01-27-2014, 09:23 PM
people call this a lateral move for Wilson , I call it an upgraded job ....

now he does not have to work and will get paid AP doesn't need coaching , here he would still have to work

salamander
01-27-2014, 11:52 PM
I don't fault these coaches for leaving one bit. Most of them are taking promotions. Who wouldn't want to better themselves. As for Kirby Wilson, if you're a RB coach with the opportunity to coach Adrian Peterson you'd be nuts not to at least consider it. coaches come and go. Such is life in the NFL at this juncture. :chuckle:

Mojouw
01-28-2014, 08:34 AM
In looking around to gather some material for another post, I cam across this fact. Haley is the first OC from outside the organization in 13 years. 13! I'm actually starting to think that whatever the reason for it; some churning of the assistant and position coaches could be a good thing. Get some fresh perspectives and ideas.

Hawkman
01-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Here's one to ponder on, Wilson thinking he might have the OC job after Haley screwed up for a couple, realized that Ben and Haley are working well together now, and Haley might be around much longer than Wilson thought. The Vikings have very little on offense except AP, might be a great place for Wilson to move up. Just as plausible as anything else.

GBMelBlount
01-28-2014, 05:52 PM
In looking around to gather some material for another post, I cam across this fact. Haley is the first OC from outside the organization in 13 years. 13! I'm actually starting to think that whatever the reason for it; some churning of the assistant and position coaches could be a good thing. Get some fresh perspectives and ideas.

Bada Bingo!

Also eliminate complacency.

MrPgh
01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
You can't rule it out, though. I'm not really understanding this sentiment that the FO and ownership are completely infallible. They aren't. They have their warts, from Todd Haley to Mike Tomlin all the way up to AR2.

The typical retort to a comment like this is "it's all unfounded speculation!" My question is why would it be any better to assume the FO is infallible? Some have implied Kugler and Montgomery were "asked to leave" by the FO. How is that any less speculative then them leaving because Haley is an ass? I'm starting to get the sense that certain people/elements of the organization are off-limits to scrutiny to some of the fan base.

That said, I don't think Olsavsky leaving is anything to be alarmed about. He's looking for a promotion, and the ceiling is blocked here in Pittsburgh with LeBeau as DC and Butler as LB coach. Not any different than an average Joe looking for a better opportunity. If it's true that Wilson didn't get along with Haley, he wouldn't be the first one. The guy has a reputation of being an egotistical asshole, and I doubt that's changed much now that he's in black and gold.

The Steelers really liked Kirby Wilson. It does seem very odd they'd let him go just to keep Haley around. If the Steelers were afraid that firing Haley meant admitting a mistake in hiring him in the first place, they could have easily retorted with something like "Kirby is the guy we wanted in the first place."

blackngldblood
01-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Here's one to ponder on, Wilson thinking he might have the OC job after Haley screwed up for a couple, realized that Ben and Haley are working well together now, and Haley might be around much longer than Wilson thought. The Vikings have very little on offense except AP, might be a great place for Wilson to move up. Just as plausible as anything else.

This is exactly what Mark Kaboly tweeted a few days ago. Indication Haley isn't going anywhere for a while.