PDA

View Full Version : Official RB coach speculation thread

stillers4me
01-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Former Broncos and Redskins running backs coach Bobby Turner is an ideal fit for an outside zone scheme

The stack of success Bobby Turner is lugging around is enough to throw out his back. The Steelers have a running backs coach opening, and if they want to run outside zone, he'd have to think he could make that stack even bigger.

Let's say, for argument's sake, the Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) wanted to get into an outside zone running scheme.
For real, this time. Not the months-of-speculation-that-amounted-to-nothing kind of way it was last year. If that is, in fact, the case, former Broncos and Redskins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/washington-redskins) running backs coach Bobby Turner would be an ideal target for the vacated Steelers running backs coach position.

When you think of modern outside zone running, you think of Terrell Davis and the late-90s Denver Broncos (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/denver-broncos). Mike Shanahan employed that scheme to perfection, leading Davis to be the league's premier running back of those years. They won two Super Bowls on it, and Shanahan built a long-lasting coaching career on it.

And Turner was with him the whole time.........

Read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/latest-news/2014/1/26/5347150/steelers-running-backs-coaching-candidates-search-bobby-turner-redskins-broncos-outside-zone

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers running backs coach candidates list should include Willie Parker

Pittsburgh has hired position coaches with just a little experience previously. What Willie Parker may lose in a lack of pro coaching experience he can make up with a well-versed history of Steelers culture.

Tucked away in the middle of Nowhere, West Virginia sits West Virginia Wesleyan - a small Division II school with an enrollment of 1,400 students.

The Bobcats aren't exactly a pipeline to the pros. None of their players will attend the NFL Scouting Combine (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-combine) in February, and none were invited to play in the Senior Bowl (http://www.sbnation.com/senior-bowl). It has produced two Hall of Famers, though - Earle "Greasy" Neale of the Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/philadelphia-eagles) and Cliff Battles of the Washington Redskins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/washington-redskins).

If it's famous for anything right now in the football world, it's the final collegiate destination of Nate Montana, the son of the Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana.

And, on the coaching staff, the record holder for the longest run in a Super Bowl (http://www.sbnation.com/super-bowl), former Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) running back Willie Parker.........

read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/latest-news/2014/1/26/5346870/steelers-running-backs-coaching-candidates-willie-parker?utm_source=behindthesteelcurtain&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=blogs

Devilsdancefloor
01-26-2014, 10:01 AM
If he is hired this would almost be a dream team for coach staff get it done AR2

stillers4me
01-26-2014, 10:04 AM

- - - Updated - - -

If he is hired this would almost be a dream team for coach staff get it done AR2

Who? Fast Willie? :lol:

Devilsdancefloor
01-26-2014, 10:14 AM
well if we want -2 yards then 40 yards -2 yards and 3rds yeah FWP would work for me :sarcasm:

Dwinsgames
01-26-2014, 10:46 AM
will never happen , in fact they may not even know he exists but put me down for Calvin Magee

GoSlash27
01-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Why not promote in- house for a change? Shaun Sarrett did a good job turning the O- line around (at least according to rumors), so I'd think he'd make a pretty darn good RB coach as well.
Then we bring in a newbie on internship for the OA spot; preferably somebody who's already loved and respected by the players, with good teaching skills and knowledge of the game. Ex. Charlie Batch, Aaron Smith, Brett Kiesel (if we cut him for cap purposes), etc.
I'd really like to see Ryan Clark get into coaching. According to Coach Dad, he's the smartest player he's ever coached.

Dwinsgames
01-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Why not promote in- house for a change? Shaun Sarrett did a good job turning the O- line around (at least according to rumors), so I'd think he'd make a pretty darn good RB coach as well.
Then we bring in a newbie on internship for the OA spot; preferably somebody who's already loved and respected by the players, with good teaching skills and knowledge of the game. Ex. Charlie Batch, Aaron Smith, Brett Kiesel (if we cut him for cap purposes), etc.
I'd really like to see Ryan Clark get into coaching. According to Coach Dad, he's the smartest player he's ever coached.

I would prefer to have someone with actual exp playing or coaching the pos to coach the pos , hard to teach someone how to do something you yourself have never done , when the player knows more about the pos than its coach its never a good outcome

Shoes
01-26-2014, 11:22 AM
I would prefer to have someone with actual exp playing or coaching the pos to coach the pos , hard to teach someone how to do something you yourself have never done , when the player knows more about the pos than its coach its never a good outcome

Exactly, as with most things in life.

Steelerette
01-26-2014, 11:39 AM
While the Cowboys and Redskins will always have more money, Pittsburgh is in that next tier down and we do have a very extensive nationwide (worldwide?) fan and revenue base. There's no reason we can't or shouldn't be a premiere coaching destination. I'd rather not promote from within unless the guy really, really deserves it. And although it seems we have a habit of guys with local roots, they always have credentials and look at what the Cowher coaching tree has accomplished post-Steelers, as opposed to what the Belichek coaching tree has pulled off for instance. I want them to go out and find the most promising, accomplished, qualified RB coach they can get their hands on. Some tie to the PA vicinity is maybe a bonus but should never be a condition.

Sure we can build our team that way through the draft but we can be that team that goes and gets the top coaching talent that wants to work together, knows what it's doing, and is trusted to do its job. They say that luck is the residue of design.. well the results we get from this football team is the residue of the culture we put in place here. It may be true that Rooney meddles... a little bit... but only when he's making it clear that what he's seeing is not acceptable. It's a very far cry from the lunacy of Jerry Jones.

GoSlash27
01-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Naturally, but if everybody thought like that, nobody would ever get promoted. LeBeau, for example, went from CB to special teams coach to Secondary coach to DC.
This guy has stepped in and covered coaching roles above his pay grade twice now, and has acquitted himself well. And his current duties put him in a position to know how to coach RBs.

I know yinz don't agree, but I'd just as soon not have Pittsburgh be a place where good talent has to leave in order to move up in their careers.

Chidi29
01-26-2014, 01:41 PM
I liked Depot's idea of Chuck Harris. Part of Houston's ZBS. Tough circumstances this season with injuries to Foster/Tate. Had to deal with guys like Dennis Johnson and Ray Graham. Would fit with Munchak well. Been a RBs coach since 1995. Was Bettis' RBs coach his rookie year in LA for what that's worth.

Also throwing out Art Valero, TEs coach at Colorado St. Was RBs coach when Tomlin was in Tampa.

steeldawg
01-26-2014, 02:21 PM
leveon bell will coach himself

Dwinsgames
01-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Also throwing out Art Valero, TEs coach at Colorado St. Was RBs coach when Tomlin was in Tampa.

he did well by Crockett Gilmore , to bad they did not get him the ball more but he seems like a pretty solid prospect

Godfather
01-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Justin Vincent might be a candidate. He was a world-beater as a freshman on LSU's 2003 national championship team. He never regained that magic as a player, and he ended up spending three years on the Steelers practice squad. But I remember them telling him he had a future in coaching, so they might bring him in for an interview.

Mojouw
01-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Based on the comments in the other threads around here, it won't be anyone. This is because the Steelers are toxic, ill-run, losing situation with no clear path to improvement. Ever.

With the likes of Tomlin and Haley running things we will be lucky to hire anyone to take the job. I heard those guys are big meany doo-doo heads.

blackngldblood
01-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Based on the comments in the other threads around here, it won't be anyone. This is because the Steelers are toxic, ill-run, losing situation with no clear path to improvement. Ever.

With the likes of Tomlin and Haley running things we will be lucky to hire anyone to take the job. I heard those guys are big meany doo-doo heads.

The only reason Munchack jumped on board was because he heard it's ok to clank players heads together like the three stooges when they F up. He couldn't get away with that at Tennessee. This is a thug organization with a terrible reputation.
*end sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vader29
01-28-2014, 02:33 PM

Steelman
01-28-2014, 03:04 PM

The beauty of the NFL coaching carousel. :chuckle:

tube517
01-28-2014, 04:04 PM
The new RB coach was great in "Enter the Dragon"...... :chuckle:

http://665880566.r.lightningbase-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/JohnSaxon.jpg

GoSlash27
01-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Well... AP didn't exactly suck. Hopefully Coach Saxon can go his entire career here without having to teach anyone how to run!

Psycho Ward 86
01-28-2014, 04:47 PM
its an upgrade imo. although one has to wonder how much of his success is predicated on the fact that so many of his RB's have been very high draft picks (adrian peterson, larry johnson, ricky williams, ronnie brown).

on the flip side, this is the guy that coached 2 of the all time undrafted greats at both runningback (priest holmes) and fullback (tony richardson)

NCSteeler
01-28-2014, 05:19 PM
its an upgrade imo. although one has to wonder how much of his success is predicated on the fact that so many of his RB's have been very high draft picks (adrian peterson, larry johnson, ricky williams, ronnie brown).

on the flip side, this is the guy that coached 2 of the all time undrafted greats at both runningback (priest holmes) and fullback (tony richardson)

I think all his stops were successful, but I agree he had some studs and like you say some pretty solid undrafted guys turned into stars.

Saxon, 47, coached the Vikings’ running backs the last three seasons. He previously coached running backs in Miami (2008-2010), Kansas City (2001-2007) and Buffalo (2000).

A San Jose State product, Saxon played eight NFL seasons at running back. He had stints with Kansas City (1988-1991), Miami (1992-1994) and Philadelphia (1995).

stillers4me
01-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Sp apparently, there aren't really any good coaches, only good players that happen to have coaches? :noidea:

Dwinsgames
01-28-2014, 06:17 PM
its an upgrade imo.

I tend to agree with this , but I was never a Wilson fan so call me biased if you feel the need

pretty decent interview with him from several months ago , sounds like a real stand up guy too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC-PExl5xNs

Count Steeler
01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Sure just another coach looking to use the Steelers as a stepping stone.

Surprising though that he hasnt been promoted to anything more than an RB coach.

Wonder why he is willing to put up with the Arrogant Asshole. And have his checks signed by the Emperor of the dark side.

Dwinsgames
01-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Sure just another coach looking to use the Steelers as a stepping stone.

Surprising though that he hasnt been promoted to anything more than an RB coach.

Wonder why he is willing to put up with the Arrogant Asshole. And have his checks signed by the Emperor of the dark side.

I am Dwinsgames and I approve of this message

:rofl2:

Steelerette
01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Not who I was hoping for initially but this is an upgrade. His attitude and his resume speak very well for him, unlike Kirby Wilson's resume.

Priest Holmes ran behind Zone Blocking. AP ran behind kind of hybrid blocking. They used to be zone blocking, few years ago tried to switch over to man blocking but wound up tending back toward zone stuff. Ricky Williams was a zone runner. So Saxon has some experience getting things to work with the zone runners. I'm not entirely excited about this as I would have been about Bobby Turner, but maybe I should be. He just wasn't on my radar is all.

A good fit and an upgrade, and glad to see the team taking positional coaching this seriously this offseason.

Psycho Ward 86
01-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Sp apparently, there aren't really any good coaches, only good players that happen to have coaches? :noidea:

haha just speculating. im actually pretty excited about this one

86WARD
01-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Saxon's Resume >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wilson's Resume.