PDA

View Full Version : Kirby Wilson scheduled to interview for Ravens offensive coordinator

Shoes
01-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Ravens coach John Harbaugh updated the team’s search for a new offensive coordinator on Tuesday, identifying four candidates by name.
The newest addition to the list is Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson, who is scheduled to interview with the team this week. Wilson has worked for the Steelers since 2007 and wasreportedly in line (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/19/kirby-wilson-was-in-line-to-be-next-offensive-coordinator/) to become the team’s offensive coordinator in 2012 when serious injuries sustained in a house fire led the Steelers to go in Todd Haley’s direction.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/21/kirby-wilson-scheduled-to-interview-for-ravens-offensive-coordinator/

Mojouw
01-21-2014, 02:22 PM
I saw another blurb about this somewhere that indicated that Wilsons' involvement in the running of the offense increased after a poor start to 2013. Would be really interesting to hear some more of those details.

MrPgh
01-21-2014, 11:33 PM
I saw another blurb about this somewhere that indicated that Wilsons' involvement in the running of the offense increased after a poor start to 2013. Would be really interesting to hear some more of those details.

If that's true, then it's very perplexing as to why the Steelers would hang onto Haley over Wilson, especially considering Wilson was originally supposed to be OC after Arians left.

steelerdude15
01-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Bouchette: Wilson Not Likely To Get Baltimore Job

PITTSBURGH (KDKA 93-7 The Fan)- The Steelers have given permission for running backs coach Kirby Wilson to interview with the Baltimore Ravens. 93-7 The Fan Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette joined the Cook and Poni Show and said that he doesn’t think that Wilson will get the job.
“He’s one of four candidates, but the guy I keep seeing who is the leading candidate is their (Baltimore) receivers coach (Jim) Hostler, so going by that I would say no, they’re not going to lose him,” Bouchette said.

Read More: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/01/22/bouchette-wilson-not-likely-to-get-baltimore-job/

Mojouw
01-22-2014, 03:11 PM
If that's true, then it's very perplexing as to why the Steelers would hang onto Haley over Wilson, especially considering Wilson was originally supposed to be OC after Arians left.

Good point. Again, the key is the details. Did Wilson legitimately become more involved in offensive game planning and/or play calling during the 2013 season? If so what did those contributions consist of (a bump from 0% to 2.5 % of the planning load doesn't really mean much)? Where and why did this increased responsibility come?

As we have all seen recently, the need to feed the 24/7/365 NFL news beast leads to a bunch of "insider" pieces that claim to be "scoops" but represent nothing more than rampant speculation and rumor generating. As always, the truth will emerge over the course of the off-season. Will certainly be an interesting story to attempt to keep an eye on.

NCSteeler
01-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Kirby adn Kyle Shannahan both getting a second interview with Rats

one side only
01-24-2014, 08:32 AM
I read somewhere this morning that Kirby Wilson performed so well on the initial interview that he's been invited back for a second. THe reason for the increase in offensive productivity was the involvement of Roethlisberger and the no - huddle. Can't believe Haley's ego would have left room for any invlovement by Wilson.

ALLD
01-24-2014, 08:46 AM
He was also good in When Harry Met Sally.
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120808193761/godfather/images/4/41/Bruno_Kirby.jpg

vader29
01-25-2014, 11:53 AM

Chidi29
01-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Bummer.

tube517
01-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Who is the RB over there again? :chuckle:

Sent from a Galaxy Note 2

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2014, 02:35 PM
because peterson has so much to learn right :lol:

Steelerette
01-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Can't blame Kirby, a victim of bad timing but it has to be frustrating nonetheless. Leaves the door open for Munchak's potential promotion though.

Bluecoat96
01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
It seems like Kirby was hell bent on getting out of here. Is it because he didn't feel like there was room to advance his career here?

MrPgh
01-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Since the Vikings already hired Norv Turner to be their OC, Wilson will likely be the Vikings RB coach.

Kugler and Montgomery left after 2012, now Wilson is leaving for the same job he had in Pittsburgh. This will throw fuel into the fire that other people in the NFL do not like working with Todd Haley.

Mojouw
01-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Kugler and Montgomery left to take promotions. So that isn't too awful.

Wilson likely left because he reached a glass ceiling here. Plus with the awful rushing stats this offense is liable to put up...I wouldn't want to be associated with it either!

But I also, agree that Haley is by all published reports an arrogant ass.

Plus Todd Haley's documented abrasiveness has given us this to laugh at:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2013/09/boss-todd-lays-law.html

All hail Boss Todd!

MrPgh
01-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Kugler and Montgomery left to take promotions. So that isn't too awful.

Wilson likely left because he reached a glass ceiling here. Plus with the awful rushing stats this offense is liable to put up...I wouldn't want to be associated with it either!

But I also, agree that Haley is by all published reports an arrogant ass.

Plus Todd Haley's documented abrasiveness has given us this to laugh at:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2013/09/boss-todd-lays-law.html

All hail Boss Todd!

I wouldn't say where those two are now is much of a promotion.

NCSteeler
01-25-2014, 04:32 PM
This stinks. Of course Kirby's body of work is not he best either.

Mojouw
01-25-2014, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't say where those two are now is much of a promotion.

Isn't Kugler the head coach at UTEP? Or did he get fired?

Montgomery is still listed as an associate head coach/offensive co-ordinator for Duke.

I realize both of those are moves to the college level, but the path from NFL position coach to college coach or co-ordinator and then return to the NFL at a head coach or co-ordinator level is a well worn one. I don't see how gaining experience, stepping up a rung or two on the coaching ladder, and setting yourself up for bigger things down the road is not a promotion?

Maybe, I missed it and they both got fired. Unemployed would be worse...

MrPgh
01-25-2014, 04:38 PM
Isn't Kugler the head coach at UTEP? Or did he get fired?

Montgomery is still listed as an associate head coach/offensive co-ordinator for Duke.

I realize both of those are moves to the college level, but the path from NFL position coach to college coach or co-ordinator and then return to the NFL at a head coach or co-ordinator level is a well worn one. I don't see how gaining experience, stepping up a rung or two on the coaching ladder, and setting yourself up for bigger things down the road is not a promotion?

Maybe, I missed it and they both got fired. Unemployed would be worse...

They're still employed to my knowledge, but UTEP and Duke aren't exactly the cream of the crop for college coaching gigs.

Steelerette
01-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Kirby Wilson's Steelers Tenure:

RB and FB (no WR, TE, or QB) stats.

2007: 453 att, 1906 yd, 7 TD, 4.21 ypc, td every 65 carries.
Willie Parker, Najeh Davenport, Carrie Davis, Dan Kreider, Gary Russell. Verron Haynes on roster but no carries.

2008: 411 att, 1554 yds, 13 TD, 3.78 ypc, td every 32 carries
Willie Parker, Mewelde Moore, Gary Russell, Rashard Mendenhall, Carey Davis, Najeh Davenport

2009: 377 att, 1630 yds, 7 TD, 4.32 ypc*, td every 54 carries
Rashard Mendenhall, Willie Parker, Mewelde Moore, Carey Davis
*Mendy was 4.6 YPC! What happened to the promising kid... sigh.

2010: 419 att, 1647 yds, 13 TD, 3.93 ypc, td every 32 carries
Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore, Jonathan Dwyer
*Dwyer was activated for a total of one game...

2011: 386 att, 1728 yds, 13 TD, 4.48 ypc*, td every 30 carries
Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore, Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay
*Mendy was pretty decent but Moore and Dwyer (7.7 ypc) crushed it when they got opportunities that continued to be inexplicably limited...

2012: 370 att, 1373 yds, 7 TD, 3.71 ypc*, td every 53 carries
Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman, Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Rainey, Barron Batch, Will Johnson
*Dwyer was the only RB who sniffed 4 ypc but again wasn't allowed to emerge as "the guy"...

2013: 357 att, 1272 yds, 8 TD, 3.56 ypc*, td every 45 carries
Le'Veon Bell, Jonathan Dwyer, Felix Jones, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling
*Dwyer again the only back who sniffed 4.0 for the season, again kept on the back burner. When Bell couldn't go... Felix and Redman got starts. Admittedly Bell really came to life in the latter half of the season.

I'm getting a couple messages from looking at these numbers. The first is that... if I were Dwyer I'm trying to get a gig in another town, he's kind of getting screwed here. Bell looks very promising in his development and Munchak should only help that.

I'm also getting the message though that Kirby isn't really anything special? Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that he's moving on. Maybe he was even nudged out the door rather than having given up waiting.

Let's look at Kirby's job he had before here, 2004-2006 RB coach for the Cardinals.

AZ 2004: 390 att, 1420 yds, 13 TD, 3.64 ypc, td every 30 carries
Emmitt Smith, Troy Hambrick, Obafemi Ayanbadejo, Larry Croom, Damien Anderson

AZ 2005: 297 att, 885 yds, 2 TD, 2.98 ypc, td every 149 carries
Marcel Shipp, J.J. Arrington, Obafemi Ayanbadejo, James Jackson, Damien Anderson

AZ 2006: 377 att*, 1256 yds, 10 TD, 3.33 YPC, TD every 38 carries
Edgerrin James, Marcel Shipp, J.J. Arrington, Obafemi Ayanbadejo
*337 of those attempts were Edgerrin

Not exactly stellar stuff... Hoak preceded Kirby here and frankly Hoak did it for 35 years, I'm not going to do all that work! But here's what he left them to work with, his 2004-2006 compared to Kirby's:

PIT 2004: 534 ATT, 2249 yds, 14 TD, 4.21 YPC, td every 38 carries
Jerome Bettis, Duce Staley, Verron Haynes, Willie Parker, Dan Kreider, Dante Brown

PIT 2005: 483 ATT, 2015 yds, 17 TD, 4.17 YPC, td every 28 carries
Willie Parker, Jerome Bettis, Verron Haynes, Duce Staley, Dan Kreider, Noah Herron

PIT 2006: 415 ATT, 1816 yds, 14 TD, 4.36 YPC, td every 29 carries
Willie Parker, Najeh Davenport, Verron Haynes, John Kuhn, Dan Kreider

By large, Kirby never even sniffed those numbers. Whomever we bring in to replace him, combined with Munchak on OL, I'm looking forward to the change.

Bluecoat96
01-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Duke did at least get to the ACC championship. UTEP? Not so much.

Count Steeler
01-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Munchak is willing to work with Haley. I think Wilson not getting better production from his stable is what left him expendable.

Dwinsgames
01-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Kirby Wilson's Steelers Tenure:

RB and FB (no WR, TE, or QB) stats.

2007: 453 att, 1906 yd, 7 TD, 4.21 ypc, td every 65 carries.
Willie Parker, Najeh Davenport, Carrie Davis, Dan Kreider, Gary Russell. Verron Haynes on roster but no carries.

2008: 411 att, 1554 yds, 13 TD, 3.78 ypc, td every 32 carries
Willie Parker, Mewelde Moore, Gary Russell, Rashard Mendenhall, Carey Davis, Najeh Davenport

2009: 377 att, 1630 yds, 7 TD, 4.32 ypc*, td every 54 carries
Rashard Mendenhall, Willie Parker, Mewelde Moore, Carey Davis
*Mendy was 4.6 YPC! What happened to the promising kid... sigh.

2010: 419 att, 1647 yds, 13 TD, 3.93 ypc, td every 32 carries
Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore, Jonathan Dwyer
*Dwyer was activated for a total of one game...

2011: 386 att, 1728 yds, 13 TD, 4.48 ypc*, td every 30 carries
Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore, Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay
*Mendy was pretty decent but Moore and Dwyer (7.7 ypc) crushed it when they got opportunities that continued to be inexplicably limited...

2012: 370 att, 1373 yds, 7 TD, 3.71 ypc*, td every 53 carries
Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman, Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Rainey, Barron Batch, Will Johnson
*Dwyer was the only RB who sniffed 4 ypc but again wasn't allowed to emerge as "the guy"...

2013: 357 att, 1272 yds, 8 TD, 3.56 ypc*, td every 45 carries
Le'Veon Bell, Jonathan Dwyer, Felix Jones, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling
*Dwyer again the only back who sniffed 4.0 for the season, again kept on the back burner. When Bell couldn't go... Felix and Redman got starts. Admittedly Bell really came to life in the latter half of the season.

I'm getting a couple messages from looking at these numbers. The first is that... if I were Dwyer I'm trying to get a gig in another town, he's kind of getting screwed here. Bell looks very promising in his development and Munchak should only help that.

I'm also getting the message though that Kirby isn't really anything special? Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that he's moving on. Maybe he was even nudged out the door rather than having given up waiting.

Let's look at Kirby's job he had before here, 2004-2006 RB coach for the Cardinals.

AZ 2004: 390 att, 1420 yds, 13 TD, 3.64 ypc, td every 30 carries
Emmitt Smith, Troy Hambrick, Obafemi Ayanbadejo, Larry Croom, Damien Anderson

AZ 2005: 297 att, 885 yds, 2 TD, 2.98 ypc, td every 149 carries
Marcel Shipp, J.J. Arrington, Obafemi Ayanbadejo, James Jackson, Damien Anderson

AZ 2006: 377 att*, 1256 yds, 10 TD, 3.33 YPC, TD every 38 carries
Edgerrin James, Marcel Shipp, J.J. Arrington, Obafemi Ayanbadejo
*337 of those attempts were Edgerrin

Not exactly stellar stuff... Hoak preceded Kirby here and frankly Hoak did it for 35 years, I'm not going to do all that work! But here's what he left them to work with, his 2004-2006 compared to Kirby's:

PIT 2004: 534 ATT, 2249 yds, 14 TD, 4.21 YPC, td every 38 carries
Jerome Bettis, Duce Staley, Verron Haynes, Willie Parker, Dan Kreider, Dante Brown

PIT 2005: 483 ATT, 2015 yds, 17 TD, 4.17 YPC, td every 28 carries
Willie Parker, Jerome Bettis, Verron Haynes, Duce Staley, Dan Kreider, Noah Herron

PIT 2006: 415 ATT, 1816 yds, 14 TD, 4.36 YPC, td every 29 carries
Willie Parker, Najeh Davenport, Verron Haynes, John Kuhn, Dan Kreider

By large, Kirby never even sniffed those numbers. Whomever we bring in to replace him, combined with Munchak on OL, I'm looking forward to the change.

nice work , I knew his work has not been anything to write home about and have spoken on the topic here in the past , but to be honest I did not realize it was as bad as it is until seeing it in black n white ....

that being said I think we can look forward to improved results with most any new RB coach , I would be interested in Calvin Magee

FootballScoop is proud to announce that Calvin Magee (Arizona) is the 2012 FootballScoop Running Backs Coach of the Year presented by ProGrass. Calvin Magee has been a lot of places and accomplished many great things in a quarter-century of coaching. The New Orleans native spent six years in Tampa high school ranks before helping Jim Leavitt get the South Florida program off the ground as the tight ends coach in 1996. Magee coached the Bulls' running backs from 1997-2000, the last two years as the run game coordinator. Magee then joined Rich Rodriguez's staff at West Virginia in 2001 and jumped to the Mountaineers' offensive coordinator spot in 2005. It was Magee that orchestrated West Virginia's unstoppable running tandem of Pat White and Steve Slaton that tormented the Big East for what seemed like a decade.
Magee then moved with Rodriguez to Michigan in 2008 and served as the Wolverines' offensive coordinator for three years. After a one-year stop at Pittsburgh, Magee again joined Rodriguez's staff at Arizona and experienced instant success as the Wildcats' associate head coach, co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach.
http://footballscoop.com/images/stories/Screen_Shot_2012-12-09_at_1.58.02_PM.pngMuch like in his time with White, Slaton and Michigan's Denard Robinson, Magee got the most out of his star pupil - Ka'Deem Carey. The sophomore's numbers exploded after a solid freshman campaign in which he rushed 91 times for 425 yards and six touchdowns. Carey led the nation in rushing by carrying 275 times for 1,757 yards and 20 touchdowns. Carey's 6.39 yards per carry average ranked fourth nationally among all heavily-used ball carriers (200 or more carries). Carey's 20 touchdowns place among a group of just seven players to produce a score of scores.
Carey also ranked third on the club with 33 catches for 288 yards and a touchdown. Add in his 16 kickoff return yards, and Carey ranked seventh nationally with 171.8 all-purpose yards per game.
In a conference crowded with top-flight running backs, Carey was named a First Team All-Pac-12 performer and was selected as a First Team All-American by the Walter Camp Football Foundation and CBSSports.com.
Carey wasn't the only Arizona running back to find success. Junior Daniel Jenkins toted the ball 66 times for 287 yards and two touchdowns on the year, and freshman Daniel Baker rushed 20 times for 85 yards. With the help of mobile quarterback Matt Scott, the Wildcats rushed for 230.4 yards per game. That number ranked 15th nationally and trailed only Oregon in the Pac-12.
Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez added, "Calvin is a tremendous coach. He did a great job with all of our running backs this year as he always does. He earns his players respect and helps raise them to be great players and great people as well."
As a team, the Wildcats produced 94 runs of 10 yards or more, placing them in the top dozen explosive running games in college football. The Wildcats posted 5.44 yards per carry (ninth-best nationally), which allowed them to produce the 15th-most rushing yards on the 28th-most carries in FBS.
Arizona's ultra-productive running game has allowed the Wildcats' offense as a whole to make a large leap. Arizona ranked seventh nationally with 521.8 yards per game (up from 465.3 ypg in 2011) and 37.3 points per game, a full touchdown improvement from last season. Most importantly, Arizona's win total improved from four victories in 2011 to a 7-5 record this fall.
The FootballScoop Coaches of the Year awards presented by ProGrass are the only set of awards that recognize the most outstanding position coaches in college football. The finalists (Magee, Gary Campbell - Oregon, Thomas Hammock - Wisconsin, Pierre Ingram - LA Tech and Jafar Williams - Kent State (http://footballscoop.com/coaching-awards/8141)) were selected based off of nominations by coaches, athletic directors, and athletic department personnel. The prior winners selected this year's winner.
Magee will receive his award and be recognized at an event at the AFCA Convention in January.
Previous winners of the Running Backs Coach of the Year award are Steve Burton Burns (Alabama, 2008), Willie Taggart (Stanford, 2009), Jim Mastro (Nevada, 2010) and Frank Wilson (LSU, 2011).
http://footballscoop.com/coaching-awards/2012-coaches-of-the-year/running-backs-coach