PDA

View Full Version : Steelers one of 8 candidates for Hard Knocks.

zulater
01-20-2014, 08:19 PM
'He will have a "Hard Knocks" this summer. This was ensured at the NFL Fall Meetings, when a rule passed that allowed the league to appoint a team to be the subject of the popular HBO series if no other team volunteers.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that all organizations will be eligible with the exception of those that have a first-year head coach; teams that have made the playoffs in at least one of the last two seasons; and teams that have participated in the previous 10 seasons.

Now that the playoff field has been determined and we know which teams will enter 2014 season with a new coach, we can figure out which organizations are eligible for a forced six-week residency on premium cable.

(As NFL.com's foremost "Hard Knocks" historian, I wish I could say I realized the field had already been set. I didn't. Great job, Internet.)

Here are the eligible teams:

Arizona Cardinals
Buffalo Bills
Chicago Bears
Jacksonville Jaguars
New York Giants
Oakland Raiders
Pittsburgh Steelers
St. Louis Rams

I kinda hope the Steelers get it. It could actually do them good. I think Tomlin might rise to the occasion if a camera is there. Plus it would be nice to show off St. Francis University, Latrobe, and the Steelers tradition to the rest of the world.

I know I'm in the minority here, but we've got no control anyway. So it makes sense to me that it could be our turn.

Dwinsgames
01-20-2014, 08:31 PM
I don't like it , but I would watch it .....

what happens in Latrobe should stay in Latrobe IMO and those secrets should not be for all to see ...

its kinda like that place you knew about that not many others did when you was a kid and went parking , the more people you showed it to the more people that would be there and that little secret setting over time was not so secret anymore and you almost needed a reservation to get your spot lol

LLT
01-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Its a distraction...I want no part of it. Just my opinion

zulater
01-20-2014, 08:35 PM
I could see the league doing this to the Steelers as their final punishment to Tomlin for "Sidelinegate". :lol:

Devilsdancefloor
01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
mr rooney, just say NO!

NCSteeler
01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
I think Arizona or jaguars will jump at it for publicity, but I would watch if it was the steelers. I think it's a distraction and a pain in the rump

zulater
01-20-2014, 08:52 PM
mr rooney, just say NO!

You can't anymore. If they choose you you got to do it.

fansince'76
01-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Its a distraction...I want no part of it. Just my opinion

This. Which means dickhead will probably force us to do it.

zulater
01-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Prior to this the teams that got it were all the attention whore variety, so yeah those teams were easily distracted. But a team it's assigned to that didn't seek it, wouldn't be affected the same imo.

Bluecoat96
01-20-2014, 09:05 PM

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. You have to think that the Steelers would get pretty damn good ratings, given how wide spread Steelers Nation is. Ratings = more money. I have to admit that I would have a hard time turning away from the show. I would want to see the behind the scenes.

salamander
01-20-2014, 09:42 PM
If the Steelers were forced into it, I would definitely watch it for sure.

steelerdiva
01-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Hell, have Honey Boo-Boo make a cameo appearance while you're at it. Geez! :doh:

Devilsdancefloor
01-20-2014, 09:45 PM
You can't anymore. If they choose you you got to do it.

ugh stop it i can bear to think of them on hard knocks i am proud to say i have never seen a episode. big distraction and coming off 2 .500 seasons we need to be focused and not worring about cameras

zulater
01-20-2014, 11:06 PM
The Bengals did this last year. Anyone care to explain to me how being on Hard knocks adversely affected their season? Injuries and their qb did them in. Nothing to do with this show.

So are saying the Steelers don't have as solid of foundation as the Bengals? That it would be too much for us to withstand? And again if the Steelers are chosen it's not nearly the same as the teams who use it in an attention seeking way. Teams like the Cowboys and Dolphins are flawed already from the inside out. Hardknocks might have further exposed it, but it certainly didn't cause it.

So in conclusion, yes I expect the Steelers to want to avoid this. That's the nature of the beast. But as fans if this happens, that's great. And it wont make one bit of difference in the W_L column at the end of the year. Lighten up guys. We're Steelers fans, not codgy old farts that can't stomach the modern world. This wont hurt a one of us.

fansince'76
01-20-2014, 11:10 PM
The Bengals did this last year. Anyone care to explain to me how being on Hard knocks adversely affected their season? Injuries and their qb did them in. Nothing to do with this show.

By the same token, how did it help them?

Hindes204
01-21-2014, 03:02 AM
By the same token, how did it help them?

I don't think it helped or hurt them, which is the point. I'm with Zu on this one. I don't think it would help or hurt the steelers one bit, but what it would do is give fans like myself, who do not live close to Latrobe any more, a chance at an inside look at training camp. I'm all for it

stillers4me
01-21-2014, 05:17 AM
I don't think it would hurt us. We don't have huge attention whores on this team like alot of other teams do....quite the opposite, in fact. Vets like Troy and Heath will do what they are obligated to do, Ike will be funny ( if he's there), some of the young guys will get into the face time and Ben....we'll that's where I get worried. Not that Ben can't handle himself, he will be charming and funny like in the Shaq show. I just don't want his past mistakes to dredged up all over again. Even if he's great and shows himself to a great leader, it won't matter to the haters.

fansince'76
01-21-2014, 07:13 AM
If they are forced into it, I hope they're as uncooperative and unaccommodating as possible.

Bluecoat96
01-21-2014, 07:16 AM
If they are forced into it, I hope they're as uncooperative and unaccommodating as possible.

Maybe Tomlin will hop into a fan's car and have them drive off like Harrison did last year on the show.

Butch
01-21-2014, 07:58 AM

Amen!!! It's a distration we don't need. How many times have the bengals been on there??? It's also all part of a circus act for der kommisar!!!

Spike
01-21-2014, 08:05 AM
So we are in the bottom dwellers bracket now - I hope they do force it on them - rub their faces in the stink of losing.

We demand entertainment.

Steeldude
01-21-2014, 09:27 AM
People actually watch this stupid show?

fansince'76
01-21-2014, 09:34 AM
People actually watch this stupid show?

Nope. Never.

Spike
01-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Yes

Harrison stole the show in Cincy

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/18049-James-Harrison-turns-into-star-on-Hard-Knocks

but then I got HBO for free

Chidi29
01-21-2014, 09:48 AM

The owners voted yes on it. So blame them, including Rooney (assuming he voted yes).

zulater
01-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Again I can't see why a Steeler fan wouldn't want to see more of his (or her) team in training camp? I'm always checking various articles and blogs to get a sense of what's happening at St. Francis as things develop. And I've even been to camp on a few occasions, but you don't see the guys in their dorms, in their meetings, at the lunch tables. So damn right I want to see this!

Now prior to this I never wanted the Steelers to be part of this. The reason being the teams doing it were seeking it out. Teams seeking the spotlight generally are the poorer run franchises. The self aggrandizing whores of the league if you will. :heh: But it's all changed now that the league assigns it. You take this because you have to, compartmentalize it, and if you're any account you manage it without incident.

I'm not wanting Tomlin, Rooney's, and company to seek this, but if it's given to you make it work for you. And let me repeat, this didn't hurt the Bengals whatsoever. So if you somehow think this would compromise the Steelers chances you are essentially saying the Steelers as an organization don't have as much wherewithal as the Bengals! Saying the Bengals are currently more talented and a better overall team ( while debatable) is one thing. But to think that they're a better run franchise more capable of dealing with a slight bump in the road, that I think is ridiculous!

So sign me up for more Steelers! Because as a fan that's what this is all about!

fansince'76
01-21-2014, 10:08 AM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/LGA_zps886e4ea0.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/LGA_zps886e4ea0.jpg.html)

salamander
01-21-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm with Zu on this one. I think it would be fun to watch. Just my opinion.

Bluecoat96
01-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Hey Zu, don't you mean St. Vincent rather than St. Francis college?

zulater
01-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Hey Zu, don't you mean St. Vincent rather than St. Francis college?

Yeah, I'm always mixing up my Saints. :lol:

LLT
01-21-2014, 03:26 PM

So are saying the Steelers don't have as solid of foundation as the Bengals? That it would be too much for us to withstand? And again if the Steelers are chosen it's not nearly the same as the teams who use it in an attention seeking way. Teams like the Cowboys and Dolphins are flawed already from the inside out. Hardknocks might have further exposed it, but it certainly didn't cause it.

So in conclusion, yes I expect the Steelers to want to avoid this. That's the nature of the beast. But as fans if this happens, that's great. And it wont make one bit of difference in the W_L column at the end of the year. Lighten up guys. We're Steelers fans, not codgy old farts that can't stomach the modern world. This wont hurt a one of us.

I would argue that "distractions" are already part of the Bengals makeup, therefore less likely to have an effect one way or the other.

fansince'76
01-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Bouchette nails it here. And I rarely agree with anything he says.

Teeroy B: Snowballs chance in Hell the Steelers would be interested in doing 'Hard Knocks'?

Ed Bouchette: It may not be up to them because the NFL can force them to do it. However, If I'm the Steelers, I don't give HBO the kind of free hand that other teams have given them if the NFL does make them do it. I would not let the cameras in the room while I'm cutting some kid. And if the NFL wants to fine me for that, so be it.

Ed B. 1/21/14 Chat Transcript (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/21/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-54/stories/201401210143)

steelerdude15
01-21-2014, 03:28 PM
I would prefer if the Steelers were not forced into this. On top of that, I probably wouldn't watch it since I don't have HBO.

fansince'76
01-21-2014, 03:31 PM
I would argue that "distractions" are already part of the Bengals makeup, therefore less likely to have an effect one way or the other.

Actually, I have to hand it to the Bengals - they have seriously reduced the "clown factor" on their roster over the last few years.

zulater
01-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Bouchette nails it here. And I rarely agree with anything he says.

Ed B. 1/21/14 Chat Transcript (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/21/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-54/stories/201401210143)

Of course the Steelers would do it in a more classy way. That's part of the point. This wouldn't hurt them because they wouldn't let it. All that would come of it is fans would have a little bit of a peek behind the curtain. But not so much as to embarrass or hurt anyone on the team, or the team as a whole. I guarantee you if this happens and you have HBO you'll enjoy it, and no harm will come from it. At the end of the day you'll be wondering why you ever were against it.

Moose
01-21-2014, 04:43 PM
I don't like it. Nobody needs to know ( other teams) what's going on at camp.

86WARD
01-21-2014, 05:01 PM
If the Bengals can be successful with all these "distractions," than the Steelers can...it's really not that big a deal "distraction-wise" and I would watch it. I watch the other seasons and the show is actually well done. Not really understanding how people in general can critique the show...having not even watched it.

GoSlash27
01-21-2014, 05:07 PM
I'd buy the DVD, but I hope it's not us. It's a distraction from the business of winning football games. We can win with all those cameras around, but any which way you cut it... it's still a distraction.

zulater
01-21-2014, 05:13 PM
I'd buy the DVD, but I hope it's not us. It's a distraction from the business of winning football games. We can win with all those cameras around, but any which way you cut it... it's still a distraction.

Look at the history of the series and it's hard to find an example of a team that underperformed to realistic expectations the year they were on it.

GoSlash27
01-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Look at the history of the series and it's hard to find an example of a team that underperformed to realistic expectations the year they were on it.
Not arguing, 'cuz I'm not a fan of the series and wouldn't know one way or the other. Not my point.
My point is that whether it's a small influence or a large one, it's not a*good* influence. It does absolutely nothing to aid our effort and has *some* negative effect, so I don't want it.
But as you pointed out we don't have any choice in the matter and if they do film it I will definitely buy a copy.

MrPgh
01-21-2014, 11:22 PM
The one thing going for the Steelers on this matter is that the New York Giants are also eligible to be forced into Hard Knocks. The NFL may not want to pass up an opportunity to get behind the scenes in its biggest market.

zulater
01-21-2014, 11:59 PM
The one thing going for the Steelers on this matter is that the New York Giants are also eligible to be forced into Hard Knocks. The NFL may not want to pass up an opportunity to get behind the scenes in its biggest market.

I noticed that too. I think it's an either or between the Steelers and the Giants. The Giants are the bigger market, but the Steelers have a bigger national following. Either would be ratings gold.

Spike
01-22-2014, 07:29 AM
This thread is comedy gold

you don't like it because you've never watched it?

get a haircut, get a job and buy a tee-vee so you can get HBO fer chrissakes

there's some good drama and a lot of laughs

There's no secrets being divulged, 8-8 teams have nothing anybody would want anyway, it's about people, the players, not X's and O's

tihmtahm
01-22-2014, 07:53 AM
As a Steelers fan in California, I would watch it for sure... I think I've watched maybe 10 or so minutes of one episode from a previous year, but since it wasn't the Steelers I easily became bored. I've never been to Latrobe... and in my entire lifetime, Ive been to Pittsburgh once (saw Three Rivers during the off season). So I would love to see a little bit of the inner workings of the Steelers. Besides... maybe this type of publicity would be the kick in the seat the Steelers need.