PDA

View Full Version : How Leftwich plays may set course

polamalubeast
08-11-2010, 09:49 PM
How Leftwich plays may set course
By ALAN ROBINSON (AP) – 4 hours ago

LATROBE, Pa. — Byron Leftwich probably won't be the quarterback who can get the Steelers into the playoffs. He doesn't want to be the quarterback who keeps them out of the postseason.

Unless there's an injury or an unforeseen development, Leftwich doesn't figure to be playing for Pittsburgh in November and December. Ben Roethlisberger will be back by then, and the Steelers aren't paying a man who's won two Super Bowls $102 million to sit.

Leftwich will be on the field in September and October, while Roethlisberger is suspended for at least four games. A good start without Roethlisberger lessens the pressure on him to perform at a peak level once he returns following a month with no practices or games. A poor start means the Steelers could be in trouble if Roethlisberger needs time to regain his game following his long layoff.

Leftwich understands he was brought back to Pittsburgh to be a short-term replacement rather than a long-term solution. All NFL quarterbacks know they're on a short leash, but this may be the first time one knew so far in advance the exact length of his tenure.

"I remember when I was the franchise quarterback," said Leftwich, a former Jacksonville first-round draft pick. "This ain't my first rodeo. It's good to be part of a team like this, a team that can win the big one. When you're on this team, you know you've got a chance to win every week."

read more

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jMrNGj_fG4LhKexYiFgKYBKiY9qwD9HHI9CO0

tony hipchest
08-11-2010, 10:00 PM
i said last year the game 3 vs bengals was a "must win" game, because i felt a loss (and going down 1-2) could be critical. turns out it was.

sounds like byron will approach 4 games in september as if they are the same as 4 games in december. thats good, because they are. he will have as much to do with us making the playoffs as 52 other players this season.

that attitude was missing last year.

SteelerEmpire
08-11-2010, 11:14 PM
We have to hope Lefty starts well.... then hope that Ben starts well. If either blows 1 or 2 games because of their performance it could mean playoff elimination..... Remember the old "cliff-hanger" movies ? It ain't easy being a Steeler's fan...

vasteeler
08-12-2010, 06:57 AM
i just hope tomlin will not hesitate to pull him for dixon if he should struggle

HometownGal
08-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Like BA - I have all of the confidence in the world in Byron. If the OL does its job in pass protection, I believe we are going to see a ton of successful plays by Byron and his WR corps. Lefty isn't as mobile as Ben so the OL is going to have to be on their A++ game during this 4 game stretch without Ben.

From what I saw at TC earlier this week, the Steelers are very serious about committing to a solid rushing attack this season and that will only be a plus in taking some of the pressure off of Lefty. Offense, Defense, ST's - everyone has to do their jobs in order for this team to get off to a good start and I believe in 'em! :tt02:

SirHulka
08-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Leftwich is a statue. With a porous line, it could be very soon when Dixon is playing.

SteelGhost
08-12-2010, 09:38 AM
i just hope tomlin will not hesitate to pull him for dixon if he should struggle

I hope so vasteeler :thumbsup:

If the OL is porous (which I don't want to happen) it's DD time IMHO

Nadroj 20
08-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I hope Lefty does well but i just dont see where all this confidence in him is coming from. He hasnt shown me anything recently to make me not worry about anything

Like I said if he starts ( looks like he will) ill be cheering for him, but I wont be very comfortable, and even though imo Dixon would be better I wouldnt feel entirly comfortable with him.

We gonna miss Ben!

salamander
08-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Just get the job done and I'll be a happy man.

BnG_Hevn
08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
He's not too far from Trent Dilfer and Dilfer did well enough to go to and win a SB.

Their strategy will be to run as much as possible, keep mistakes to a minimum and let the defense carry you. The rushing as much as possible had better be flexible though b/c if opponents stack the line, they had better be ready to catch them off guard.

I think Lefty will do well. If nothing else, maybe all the BR naysayers will be more appreciative of Ben.

tony hipchest
08-13-2010, 12:15 AM
instead of dilfer, i like the comparisson of bubby brister stepping in for elway and going 4-0 much better. lefty is better than brister was then.

as far as where he (and the fans) gets his confidence, nadroj-

Leftwich eager to hit the ground running as leader of the offense

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10225/1079725-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0wYeX6rE7

"People are asking me if I'm going to replace Ben," Leftwich said. "I'm not going to try to replace Ben. I'm going to go out here and try to play the game the way I know how to play. I've won games in this league and I feel I can continue to do that with this team."

"I'm excited to be back and part of this team. It's good to be with a good football team, I'm telling you. As a quarterback, it's a whole lot better to play when you have these types of players around you."
He said the Steelers have more offensive talent than any team he has been with, which includes two playoff teams in Jacksonville in 2004 (12-4) and '05 (11-5), a mediocre Atlanta team in '07 (7-9) and a bad Tampa Bay outfit last season (3-13) when he started the first three games and then did not play again.
"Somebody asked me something about how many sacks we've given up over the years. I don't really look at it that way," Leftwich said. "I know these guys. I know how good these guys are. If I get the ball out on time, get the ball to the right guys ... the offensive linemen are the least of my worries."