PDA

View Full Version : Calgary-Vancouver line brawl off the opening faceoff; Tortorella goes nuts

X-Terminator
01-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Old-school moment of the year right here. Nothing else is even close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbgJhPR_crU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeuJPhrt8E

venom
01-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Great job by Torts !

X-Terminator
01-18-2014, 11:48 PM
10 fighting majors, 8 game misconducts, 4 misconducts, and one coach losing his shit. 204 penalty minutes in the game, 188 of those in the first period. Well done, gentlemen. THAT'S what a rivalry game should look like (are you paying attention, NBCSN).

salamander
01-19-2014, 01:56 AM
And that is why I love hockey.

Chidi29
01-19-2014, 08:17 AM
It's why I hate hockey.

zulater
01-19-2014, 10:02 AM
It's why I hate hockey.

:stirthepot:

:chuckle:

X-Terminator
01-19-2014, 12:28 PM
It's why I hate hockey.

Don't worry. Gary Bettman hates hockey too, and along with his accomplices (Mario Lemieux being one of them), fighting will be banned in 5 years, and you will be suspended if you even look cross-eyed at another player. Then it will no longer offend your tender sensibilities and you might become a fan.

Spike
01-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Let the Canada teams fight - no fighting in the Olympics!

USA USA USA!

zulater
01-19-2014, 12:56 PM
I'm a lot more entertained by outrageously skilled players, such as Mario, Sid, and Geno , Ovi etc...doing their thing, than knuckle dragging fourth liners dropping the gloves. I get fighting's traditional place in hockey, but I also could live without it. That's not to say I turn away from or don't enjoy the occasional on ice fight. But it ain't exactly MMA, or a good boxing match either. Usually just two guys grappling with the occasional round house punch (that misses it's mark more often than not). Then both "pugilists" start looking for a lineman to break them up before they both embarrassingly collapse in an exhausted heap at mid ice.

I appreciated guy's like Ulf Samuelson who wasn't a fighter, but he was a damn tough checker. Same for Darrius Kasperitas. So don't anyone say I want ice capade's or some bullshit like that. Hockey could get along just fine with less fighting.

And last thing, Torttorelli is a total moron.

X-Terminator
01-19-2014, 01:05 PM
I'm a lot more entertained by outrageously skilled players, such as Mario, Sid, and Geno , Ovi etc...doing their thing, than knuckle dragging fourth liners dropping the gloves. I get fighting's traditional place in hockey, but I also could live without it. That's not to say I turn away from or don't enjoy the occasional on ice fight. But it ain't exactly MMA, or a good boxing match either. Usually just two guys grappling with the occasional round house punch (that misses it's mark more often than not). Then both "pugilists" start looking for a lineman to break them up before they both embarrassingly collapse in an exhausted heap at mid ice.

I appreciated guy's like Ulf Samuelson who wasn't a fighter, but he was a damn tough checker. Same for Darrius Kasperitas. So don't anyone say I want ice capade's or some bullshit like that. Hockey could get along just fine with less fighting.

And last thing, Torttorelli is a total moron.

At least you understand that fighting has a place in the game, so you aren't in the same crowd with people like Chidi, who wants Disney on Ice. I am entertained by skill players doing their thing, but I am also entertained by and enjoy the fights and brawls and physical play. ALL OF IT is part of the total package of NHL hockey. If all I had to watch was a bunch of guys skating up and down the ice barely being touched, I'm sorry, but that would get boring real, real fast and I would stop watching altogether. I already don't watch much hockey anymore because most games are boring as shit. No passion whatsoever. Even Penguins games at times have been completely unwatchable. If that makes me a "neanderthal," then so be it. I honestly don't care.

zulater
01-19-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the hockey goon, though I understand his role. But a guy like Rick Tochett, who could net 40, and go toe to toe with the best of them, was as fun as anyone to ever watch play.

X-Terminator
01-19-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the hockey goon, though I understand his role. But a guy like Rick Tochett, who could net 40, and go toe to toe with the best of them, was as fun as anyone to ever watch play.

OK, I'm completely with you on this one. Honestly, I could live without the 3-minute-a-game goon and go back to the days of enforcers/fighters who could also play the game. Take Tiger Williams, for example. He is the all-time NHL leader in penalty minutes, but he also scored 240 goals in his career. The only reason why we have goons like this in the game is because of the instigator rule. Get rid of that, and there's really no need for a designated fighter. Or failing that, develop them into better players instead of just fighters. The Ducks did that with Shawn Thornton and George Parros when both were in Anaheim.

X-Terminator
01-19-2014, 02:48 PM

Chidi29
01-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Don't worry. Gary Bettman hates hockey too, and along with his accomplices (Mario Lemieux being one of them), fighting will be banned in 5 years, and you will be suspended if you even look cross-eyed at another player. Then it will no longer offend your tender sensibilities and you might become a fan.

I prefer to watch the game. Not this circus side show.

X-Terminator
01-19-2014, 05:24 PM
I prefer to watch the game. Not this circus side show.

Not even worth arguing about. I'll simply say I respect your opinion, and move on. Neither of our minds will be changed, and given how passionate I am about keeping fighting in the game, I don't want any hard feelings between us.

zulater
01-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Like it or not if you were to peek 15 years into the future you'd probably find fighting outlawed in the NHL. Mostly because of concussion concerns. You know it's only a matter of time before the lawyers go after the league for that. And if and when they do the easiest response for the league to show their "genuine concern for player safety" is to eliminate fighting. Which of course will backfire and result in more borderline dirty hits, that end in concussions.

X-Terminator
01-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Like it or not if you were to peek 15 years into the future you'd probably find fighting outlawed in the NHL. Mostly because of concussion concerns. You know it's only a matter of time before the lawyers go after the league for that. And if and when they do the easiest response for the league to show their "genuine concern for player safety" is to eliminate fighting. Which of course will backfire and result in more borderline dirty hits, that end in concussions.

15 years? I was dead serious when I said 5 years in my first reply to Chidi. 5 years...no more fighting, thanks to the concussion hysteria, lawyers, and our soft as baby shit PC society. We already know that far more concussions are caused by dirty hits than fighting, but does that matter to the anti-fighting crowd? Of course not. When the league finally does ban fighting, I will be checking out as a fan. I am not interested in watching the Ice Capades and rats running around injuring players with dirty hits and stick work because there is no threat of retribution.

Devilsdancefloor
01-19-2014, 08:20 PM
And that is why I love hockey.

QFT

Count Steeler
01-19-2014, 09:18 PM
I prefer the pure game of hockey. However, if the choice is stick work and dirty checks versus fighting, I prefer fighting.

Chidi29
01-20-2014, 12:56 AM
Not even worth arguing about. I'll simply say I respect your opinion, and move on. Neither of our minds will be changed, and given how passionate I am about keeping fighting in the game, I don't want any hard feelings between us.

Agreed. One of those discussions where I don't think anybody has ever changed someone else's mind.

X-Terminator
01-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Torts suspended 15 days (6 games), Bob Hartley (Flames coach) fined $25k. Not a fan of either punishment, but it could have been much worse.