PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Rookie LB Vince Williams had Bright Spots in Finale Against the Browns

Psycho Ward 86
01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Read more (GIF's included):http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/01/steelers-rookie-lb-vince-williams-had-bright-spots-in-finale-against-browns/

It's still hard to say exactly what the Pittsburgh Steelers have in inside linebacker Vince Williams.

The fact that his playin time, despite technically being in the starting lineup, no doubt has a lot to do with it, as his snaps in any given game can be quite sporadic. While there are games in which he saw close to 50 snaps, there are also a handful in which his snap total remains in the single digits.

The season finale against the Cleveland Browns fell somewhere in between, in which he logged 26 snaps, which was over a third of the Steelers' defensive snaps. I honestly can't say I know any more about Williams than I did at the start of the game though--or even the start of the season.

blackngldblood
01-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Steelers depot sums him up in a few podcasts as a downhill run stopper. Not that great in coverage. Doesn't play outside of the base defense much if any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojouw
01-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Need to find a LB who can cover backs and TE's beyond 5 yards. That would open things up for mix and match coverages across the board on D. May allow Lebeau to go mad scientist with some of the packages again.

I know that Timmons can run with some guys, but it might be nice to find another ILB who can as well.

ALLD
01-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Need to find a LB who can cover backs and TE's beyond 5 yards. That would open things up for mix and match coverages across the board on D. May allow Lebeau to go mad scientist with some of the packages again.

I know that Timmons can run with some guys, but it might be nice to find another ILB who can as well.

We should draft Jack Hamm Jr. Polamalu reminds me of how Dobra Shunka used to play, but Jack was more disciplined.

blackngldblood
01-15-2014, 08:25 PM

That's what Spence was starting to look like, no? I really hope he plays again next season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zulater
01-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Stopping the run still matters. Just ask the Colts. Williams really came on late in the season. You could see he was sliding to the right gap institutionally and getting where he needed to be. His tackling also got better as the season went on. Probably just a matter of knowing his assignment's better. And he actually didn't embarrass himself on many passing plays later in the season either. He's got a place on the roster. Might even be a starter.

Psycho Ward 86
01-23-2014, 04:50 PM
i honestly think vince becomes a very good backup for us, at the very worst. Especially after looking at his improvement from beginning to end. have to remember that this dude was the quarterback of one of the best defenses in the country 2 seasons ago

Dwinsgames
01-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Stopping the run still matters. Just ask the Colts. Williams really came on late in the season. You could see he was sliding to the right gap institutionally and getting where he needed to be..

is he having visions of guys in white coats chasing him ?

LOL

Steelerette
01-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Williams is a good backup. He's one of those players who is maybe slightly too good to be a perennial backup but not good enough to be a real solid starter. Kind of like how we couldn't keep Keyaron Fox back in the day.