PDA

View Full Version : Steelers LB coach Butler mentioned as possibility for Titans defensive coordinator

Psycho Ward 86
01-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Read more: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/1/14/5307230/ken-whisenhunt-hired-head-coach-staff-defensive-coordinator-candidates

It's not rare Butler, the longstanding DC-In-Waiting of the Steelers, is mentioned in connection with a job opportunity elsewhere. It just isn't logical to think he'd leave now, considering the amount of offers he's declined in the past.

Some incontrovertible facts within the Steelers' organization: Ben Roethlisberger has the most passing yards in franchise history, Franco Harris could walk on water if he wanted to, and Keith Butler will be the team's next defensive coordinator.

Many coaches have tried to pry Butler away from the Steelers - who wisely came to some kind of understanding with him that he's the DC In Waiting some time ago. He hasn't left yet. He didn't jump on the opportunity to join Pete Carroll's staff in Seattle, or Bruce Arians' staff in Arizona. He didn't balk at Chuck Pagano's effort to bring him to Indianapolis.

Must be hard to be in such high demand. It must make it more difficult for the Steelers to retain him, even with the advancing age of current defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

The team has said repeatedly it will not show LeBeau the door. LeBeau will leave when he feels it's time, and it's said he comes to that decision after a few weeks following the season's conclusion.

Logically, it makes little sense for Butler to depart, this time, for newly hired Tennessee Titans head coach Ken Whisenhunt's staff. They have history together in the sense they coached on the same team back in the day. They've likely crossed paths at various points throughout the year. For all we know, the two are best of friends and recently went on a fishing trip in Alaska together.

*title should read defensive coordinator. sorry, could a mod help me out and fix that? thanks

fansince'76
01-15-2014, 04:27 AM
PW86 - sorry, had to change the title a bit to make it fit.

And I wish Whisenhunt would piss off.

Edman
01-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Whisenhunt is a good OC, but a terrible coach.

Hired again? Welp, time to start building my own Steelers team again.

TheRuneMeister
01-15-2014, 07:43 AM
I think he is a good coach and one of the 'good guys', but I hope he won't coach-poach from the Steelers. Hope Butler stays. Not everyone wants to be HC or OC/DC. Some coaches like 'the trenches'. Some coaches are also much better in that capacity.

salamander
01-15-2014, 08:55 AM
It depends if he wants to wait even longer for Lebeau to retire to become the DC here. I'm sure at some point it has to get at least a little frustrating for Butler knowing there are other opportunities elsewhere.

Psycho Ward 86
01-15-2014, 01:07 PM
At least now theres a team besides the cardinals that will take our leftovers :lol:

Shoes
01-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Ray Horton top choice for Titans D-coordinator

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/ray-horton-reportedly-top-choice-for-titans-defensive-coordinator/

SteelerFanInStl
01-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Ray Horton top choice for Titans D-coordinator

I hope they hire Horton before the Bengals do.

stillers4me
01-15-2014, 06:14 PM

Godfather
01-15-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm worried about this one. Butler has family in Nashville....

salamander
01-15-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm worried about this one. Butler has family in Nashville....

I think you missed this:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/butlerson.jpg

We have a whole thread dedicated to Rapoport's miss step there. :lol:

Psycho Ward 86
01-15-2014, 06:55 PM
With offensive coordinator Norv Turner reportedly interviewing for the same job on Mike Zimmer’s staff in Minnesota, the Browns could be in position to clear both spots on the staff for their next coach without having to buy out any time left on their contracts.

lmfao, i hope both of these happen. the browns and bengals rightfully returning to their places in epic futility. balance in the universe has been restored.

Godfather
01-15-2014, 08:21 PM
I think you missed this:

We have a whole thread dedicated to Rapoport's miss step there. :lol:

I know. I was mocking Rappaport :teehee:

Psycho Ward 86
01-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Looks like Butler is staying after all. According to Larry Foote, he "knows" Butler is the highest paid LB coach in the league. We must really want him around when the Dick Lebeau days are over.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/01/reports-say-steelers-would-alllow-keith-butler-to-talk-to-titans/

Heinz Hitman
01-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Titans hired Ray Horton. Good hire for them, and it keeps Butler here.