PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Lewis: Andre Smith Needs To Figure Out How To Be A Pro

polamalubeast
08-11-2010, 03:25 PM
So Marvin Lewis was asked about his recovery. With an unusual display of honesty and frustration, Lewis said:

“Andre’s doing OK. That’s not a well, that’s not a jumping jack. That’s not a backflip, he’s doing OK,” Lewis said.

“Whenever he gets to where I want him that’s when we’ll have him,” Lewis said. “He’s being monitored hourly.”

After that, Lewis laid into Smith:

“Andre’s going to figure out how to become a pro and do things the way it’s asked to do all the time. Hopefully he continues to do it in a timely fashion. Because otherwise, I’m not going to go through this year in and year out.”

read more

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2010/8/11/1617979/marvin-lewis-andre-smith-needs-to

Edman
08-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Marvin Lewis needs to figure out how to be a good coach.

He had no business winning COTY last year when it was Mike Zimmer that inspired that team.

SMR
08-11-2010, 05:32 PM

He had no business winning COTY last year when it was Mike Zimmer that inspired that team.

Indeed.

MasterOfPuppets
08-11-2010, 06:19 PM
what the fuck did they expect ? smith was a fat tub of shit loaded with red flags when they drafted him. did they think throwing millions of dollars into his bank account was going to change his piss poor attitude and work ethics ?

“He’s being monitored hourly.”

what are they monitoring ? his krispy cream intake ?

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/f1eab040af3a7041f8e790b39b09e57c.jpg

steelerdude15
08-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Some Bengal fans feel he's a bust, from what I've read about this guy is that he hasn't done a single thing.

CantStop85
08-11-2010, 06:41 PM

And you know this how?

Psycho Ward 86
08-11-2010, 07:59 PM
And you know this how?

1) No back to back winning season under Lewis

2) Tons of problem players that arent dealt with

3) Greatest Bengals defense in a while

4) Last year the press was littered with articles about the respect that players gave to Zimmer. Not so much Lewis

MasterOfPuppets
08-11-2010, 08:38 PM

4) Last year the press was littered with articles about the respect that players gave to Zimmer. Not so much Lewis

5. arrests were down 72.4 %

CantStop85
08-12-2010, 01:45 AM

1) No back-to-back winning seasons so far in Zimmer's tenure with the Bengals either so I'm not exactly sure what your point is here.

2) I'm also not sure what these "tons of problem players" has to do with Zimmer inspiring the team instead of Lewis.

3) It was a fantastic defense and Zimmer is a fantastic defensive coach, but I wouldn't go so far as saying Zimmer "inspired" the whole team to victory while Marvin Lewis sat back and watched.

4) There was a lot of pub around Zimmer last season for three reasons: the defense's success, his perception as one of the fresh faces of the organization, and the death of his wife. Lewis has already been around the block with the Bengals so you're not going to see as much of the media love. Over the years I've seen plenty of positive remarks about Coach Lewis by Bengals players and all the former players I've talked to have nothing but praise for him.

I just think it's bizarre to attribute a team's success entirely to a defensive coordinator. It would be like saying that Mike Tomlin doesn't deserve any credit because Dick LeBeau is the one who inspires the team. Guys like LeBeau and Zimmer are great coaches but they don't have control over the entire team. The head coach is more than just a figurehead and I would say that Marvin Lewis was as instrumental in the Bengals' success last season as anyone.

Finally, if Zimmer should get all the credit for the Bengals' 10-6 season (as you imply), shouldn't he also take all the credit for their 4-11-1 season the year before? In case you've forgotten, he was the defensive coordinator that year as well.