PDA

View Full Version : Will Steelers win another Super Bowl with Ben Roethlisberger?

Steelman
01-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Just for morning chuckles.

From BSPN: http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=nfl&pollId=4136735

Even Pennsylvania voted against us. :lol:

fansince'76
01-09-2014, 09:06 AM
I'm not going to protest this too much since I realize that Super Bowls are pretty damned hard to win. I will say it's telling that Disney Channel II chose him as the subject of this poll since he isn't even going to be playing this weekend, yet Brees, Manning and Brady are. It's been 4 years for Brees, 7 years for Manning and 9 years for Brady as far as winning one is concerned, and they're all older than Ben. And at least two, and very possibly all three of them will be adding another year to their respective "streak" about a month from now.

And what about Rodgers? He's now "on the wrong side of 30" as well and is about one more serious concussion away from retirement himself (yet many act like he's perpetually 24 years old). BTW, what happened to the "dynasty" the Packers were supposedly going to string together after they beat us in XLV with that "unstoppable" offense of theirs?

Hopefully, Roethlisberger proves them wrong. Of course if he does, many will be loath to give him any credit for it whatsoever and will always have some qualifier for it ("well, he had a good defense," "well, he had a good running game," etc., etc.) Sadly, that will also include many Steelers fans.

GBMelBlount
01-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Ben and the team as a whole SEEM hungry again.

This is good.

If we don't continue to hemmorhage our quality players due to cap problems I think we have a good chance.

Build that defense and fast!

salamander
01-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Ben will NEVER get the credit he deserves, regardless of what he does on the field.

Moose
01-09-2014, 12:17 PM
To answer question....YUP !

Seven
01-09-2014, 12:42 PM
And what about Rodgers? He's now "on the wrong side of 30" as well and is about one more serious concussion away from retirement himself (yet many act like he's perpetually 24 years old). BTW, what happened to the "dynasty" the Packers were supposedly going to string together after they beat us in XLV with that "unstoppable" offense of theirs? Aaron Rodgers and the Packers get a "pass" by fans and the media every year. They're probably the most underachieving team of the last six seasons. Rodgers might have less time than Ben left in the tank. Aside from the Super Bowl season, this era of Packers football has been forgettable in my estimation.

I... do think Ben wins one more championship. It's a really tough call and easy to say no, but I think Brown, Bell and Beachum give the front office plenty to build around on offense... and Heyward, Timmons, and (hopefully) Worilds & Jones provide a nice young defensive front to improve upon. I think this team is a big time contender if not next year, the following. I think Ben plays until 36, so that's at least 3 - 4 seasons left of playoff football if I'm right about the team trending up (big if). But ultimately, looking at Roethlisberger's track record, I think it's a decent bet to make that he'll win another ring. Certainly very far from a lock, but I'd call it a good bet if you're sizing his chances up against the other 31 teams. I say yes.

fansince'76
01-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Aaron Rodgers and the Packers get a "pass" by fans and the media every year. They're probably the most underachieving team of the last six seasons. Rodgers might have less time than Ben left in the tank. Aside from the Super Bowl season, this era of Packers football has been forgettable in my estimation.

Exactly my point. Roethlisberger isn't one of the league's fair-haired boys and he isn't knobslobbed by the media constantly and as such, isn't afforded anywhere near the respect he's due. Hell, I've seen some pundits and even Steelers fans rank Matt Ryan above him as a QB, for Christ's sake.

Dwinsgames
01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Matt Ryan above him as a QB, for Christ's sake.

Matty goes " ice cold " when it matters most ...

the pundits want to anoint him fine go for it , he has so many come from behind wins because he fails to do his job for 3 1/2 quarters then gets a few breaks and pulls out a squeaker when on paper he should have won by a landslide many times ... I am not a fan , hell he has premium weapons all around him they should put up 40 every week and even with the injuries they had this year no excuse for being a whipping post if he was any kind of QB he still could of / should of managed respectability with the weapons left

steel striker
01-09-2014, 02:52 PM
It really gets me that Ben never does get the respect he deserves and, he still is a very clutch QB I don't care what this years numbers say. The so called experts make excuses for just about every Qb not named Ben Roethlisberger. I still think Ben can win another super bowl maybe even two. Time will tell. The offense was starting to come together near the end of the season.

st33lersguy
01-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Defense wins championships. Yes only if the defense is re-built and playing at superior level before Ben retires, which at this point is unlikely

steelreserve
01-09-2014, 05:53 PM
I think we all know why Ben doesn't get the same media slobbering as the Golden Boy quarterbacks - you get tagged with the word "rape" and people are uncomfortable praising you too much, whether it was true or not. Probably the most you can expect from the (non-Pittsburgh) media is an acknowledgement that he's "quietly putting together one of his best seasons," etc., etc. I guess getting his knob slobbed in a bar bathroom has to take the place of the media doing the same.

I really am surprised by fact that the media hasn't been All Rodgers, All The Time since he won that Super Bowl. Even before the game, they were falling all over themselves to anoint him Emperor of the World and 10 Times Better than Jesus Christ Himself, probably even if Green Bay lost.

You want to talk about getting glorified unjustly - in the Eagles-Saints game, Drew Brees got credit for a "fourth-quarter comeback" despite being outscored 10-6 in that quarter ... he also got credit for pulling off the game-winning drive, after his team got the ball on the opponent's 48-yard line and then ran 9 rushing plays and one pass play (which went for 6 yards and no first down). Yeah, what a masterful effort.

Butch
01-09-2014, 06:45 PM
I would be much much more concerned if they said the Steelers were sure to win another Superbowl with Ben. T

he day they give Ben his dues I will probably have a heart attack!!! They make every excuse in the book for Peyton and how Great he is even though he's only got one suprebowl, of course that's not his fault it's the team around him. With Ben it's just the opposite the team is the reason we win, it's the D or the refs, just never Ben.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I love this poll. Don't agree with it, but love it none the less.

Dwinsgames
01-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Will the Steelers reach another Super Bowl with Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback?

25%
Yes

75%
No

(Total votes: 20,768)

problem there is far to many variables to say one way or the other ....

a better poll question would be ....

Will the Steelers be able to field a SB quality team before Ben is to old to be a part of it

Count Steeler
01-09-2014, 06:55 PM
I'll even go out on a limb and say the possibility of back to back wins are not out of the question. The offense is young enough and developing. If the defense gets some help this year, it will also be young enough to carry us.

Last year's draft and this year's draft are crucial for Ben's career. If we can hit on a LB, CB and DL I like our chances.

oneforthetoe
01-09-2014, 07:25 PM
This is the old your team vs the league argument. If you put any qb in the league in that question the answer should be well under 50%. It is just too hard to win a Superbowl. So many factors you have to get right - in addition to factors that have to go right that you have little to no control over.

GBMelBlount
01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
I have been thinking about this today.

I do think Ben will win another Superbowl.

Sure Ben has two superbowls and is rich but now it is about his legacy.

Will he be in the hall of fame? Will history show him in a favorable light? What will his kids think of him as they get older.

These are the things that matter to him now.

Ben's fire is back.

I predict Ben will take a paycut for the team and will lead this team by example to at least one more superbowl victory.

Ben did it for Jerome and I think this young and hungry team will do it for Ben.

Mojouw
01-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Ben will never be viewed the same as some of the other "elite" QB's by the media for a handful of reasons. The first is that his #'s are not those of a great "fantasy" QB. Without those, many view you as not an "elite" QB. And only "Elite" Qb's can win SB's. Also, I suspect that Ben was a pretty piss poor human being for much of his early career. The media folks that cover THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE (like there is another league we are all going to confuse with the NFL so they need to yell the whole thing every time they talk about it. I'm looking at you Mark Schlereth) don't like to talk about people that make them fell "yucky". Finally, I think that although Ben might be an idiot savant at producing on the field, he is not the most "cerebral" of fellas. Ever hear him talk about one of his important plays? Sounds like the only thing he knows about football is to throw to someone wearing the same color jersey as him (and that he might need to check what color that is every so often). He deosn't fit the narrative. He isn't going to talk about breaking-down film, pre-snap reads, some scheme to beat a certain coverage that he worked out with his WR on Wednesday and they broke out via hand-signals at a crucial moment in the 4th quarter.

GBMelBlount
01-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Did Bradshaw have elite numbers?

Mojouw
01-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Did Bradshaw have elite numbers?

Nope. And that is kind of my point. Ben is a better QB in real life than he is in fantasy. But the media and causal fans' viewpoints on stats have become really skewed. Their is an obsession with yards and TDs. I could rant on about how I want to see completion % and yards per attempt, etc...but not today.

MrPgh
01-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Ben will never be viewed the same as some of the other "elite" QB's by the media for a handful of reasons. The first is that his #'s are not those of a great "fantasy" QB. Without those, many view you as not an "elite" QB. And only "Elite" Qb's can win SB's. Also, I suspect that Ben was a pretty piss poor human being for much of his early career. The media folks that cover THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE (like there is another league we are all going to confuse with the NFL so they need to yell the whole thing every time they talk about it. I'm looking at you Mark Schlereth) don't like to talk about people that make them fell "yucky". Finally, I think that although Ben might be an idiot savant at producing on the field, he is not the most "cerebral" of fellas. Ever hear him talk about one of his important plays? Sounds like the only thing he knows about football is to throw to someone wearing the same color jersey as him (and that he might need to check what color that is every so often). He deosn't fit the narrative. He isn't going to talk about breaking-down film, pre-snap reads, some scheme to beat a certain coverage that he worked out with his WR on Wednesday and they broke out via hand-signals at a crucial moment in the 4th quarter.

Except he does do that. This idea that Ben is just some dope with a cannon for an arm is mind-boggling.

Shoes
01-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Will he be in the hall of fame? Will history show him in a favorable light? What will his kids think of him as they get older.

Ben's fire is back.

I predict Ben will take a paycut for the team and will lead this team by example to at least one more superbowl victory.

Ben did it for Jerome and I think this young and hungry team will do it for Ben.

This is has been my gut feeling also.

Mojouw
01-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Except he does do that. This idea that Ben is just some dope with a cannon for an arm is mind-boggling.

Maybe he does that in detail in the Pittsburgh media market, because living elsewhere in the country you get basically zero coverage about Ben talking like the other big-name QBs. All you get is sound bits and bits of quotes where he gives some love to his guys and mumbles something about trying to make a play.

I am not in a position to make a judgement on his mental grasp of the game or his mental faculties in general. I have my suspicions, but that is not relevant. i realize he isn't totally a dope, just pointing out how he comes across.

GBMelBlount
01-10-2014, 11:32 AM
This is has been my gut feeling also.

Homers united! :drink:

SteelMember
01-10-2014, 11:47 AM
I wonder how different the numbers would be with a slight edit...

"Will the Steelers win another Superbowl without Ben Roethlisberger?"

:noidea:

Personally, I'll take my chances with a guy that's proven he can get there. Extend him for another 4 years.

MrPgh
01-10-2014, 01:47 PM

Ben's fire is back.

Do you trust the team will make the right moves with the money saved? Recent history suggests no. Specifically, it suggests they'll use the extra space to keep aging veterans on defense around longer.

KeiselPower99
01-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Ben gets 1 maybe 2 more

GBMelBlount
01-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Do you trust the team will make the right moves with the money saved? Recent history suggests no. Specifically, it suggests they'll use the extra space to keep aging veterans on defense around longer.

They made a mistake and I would be very surprised if they don't realize that now.

So why would they do it again?

My money is on them being smarter about it now because they have learned the consequences of recent bad contract decisions.

Shoes
01-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Homers united! :drink:

Sounds like a good name for a business, Bro. Maybe we should start something. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
01-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Sounds like a good name for a business, Bro. Maybe we should start something. :chuckle:

Are you any good in the kitchen? :scratchchin:

http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/bwe/images/2012/01/Homers-BBBQ-1325796637.jpg

Shoes
01-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Are you any good in the kitchen? :scratchchin:

http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/bwe/images/2012/01/Homers-BBBQ-1325796637.jpg

:chuckle: