PDA

View Full Version : Rooney hints that Steelers won't try to extend Roethlisberger

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Read more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/08/rooney-hints-that-steelers-wont-try-to-extend-roethlisberger/

With cap numbers of $18.895 and $18.395 million, respectively, over the final two years of his current contract, most assume that the Steelers’ annual effort to create cap room via renegotiating quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s deal will entail a contract extension.

Owner Art Rooney II told a trio of reporters on Wednesday that there won’t necessarily be an extension.

Via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Rooney said that Roethlisberger knows “our intention is we want him here beyond this contact.” But Rooney added that the team possibly won’t extend the current contract in 2014 or 2015.

The Steelers have at times extended the contracts of starting quarterbacks with two years remaining. But Rooney said that’s “not set in stone . . . it’s not something that’s automatic.”

The shrewd message from Rooney is that the Steelers will find a way to carry Roethlisberger’s cap number if necessary, which means that he’d make only $12.1 million in base salary for 2014. And that undercuts Roethlisberger’s primary leverage for a contract that would pay him, if he had his way, at or close to market value of $18 million to $20 million per year.

X-Terminator
01-08-2014, 05:19 PM
That would simply be a bad decision, Art. If you do this, you can say goodbye to Jason Worilds, because I doubt there will be any way to keep him.

I'm telling you, putting this man in charge will be detrimental to the long-term success of this franchise.

zulater
01-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Steelers want to extend Big Ben

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers president Art Rooney II said a contract extension for Ben Roethlisberger will happen at some point, noting he wants the franchise quarterback to finish his career where he started it.

Ben Roethlisberger set a Steelers record for completions in a season (375) and became the franchise's all-time leader in touchdown passes (219) in 2013.
"We've got to have Ben retire as a Steeler," Rooney said Wednesday. "There's no doubt about that."

"When both sides are able to come together on an extension. I don't know when that will be, but there's no doubt we look at Ben as somebody who's going to be here for the long term and hopefully five or more years," Rooney said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10264047/pittsburgh-steelers-hope-extend-ben-roethlisberger-contract

Here's the non jagoff's take on the exact same conversation. Up yours Florio :upyours:

X-Terminator
01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Oh crap, didn't read the link before responding. Nevermind then. :doh2:

Dwinsgames
01-08-2014, 05:30 PM
the old saying rings true , believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see

fansince'76
01-08-2014, 05:32 PM
:rolleyes:

That's not what he said. AT ALL. And believe me, I'm no fan of Bouchette.

Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette met with Steelers President Art Rooney II earlier today to discuss the state of the team, and then he joined Starkey and Mueller to share with the guys what he took from that meeting...

...He also shared Rooney’s thoughts on the team moving forward. The second interesting note was that, “it doesn’t sound like they’re going to extend Ben Roethlisberger’s contract this year which is traditional, but it’s not a long tradition,” Bouchette said.

Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette Dishes On Meeting With Steelers President Art Rooney II

(http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/01/08/steelers-insider-ed-bouchette-dishes-on-meeting-with-steelers-president-art-rooney-ii/)Problem is, the genie's already out of the bottle and there are going to be about 18 million asshats who only read Florio's headline and run with it and don't bother to investigate further who will spread this bullshit everywhere.

I'm sick and fucking tired of irresponsible claptrap "journalism."

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2014, 05:34 PM
the old saying rings true , believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see

especially when its mike florio lol

Dwinsgames
01-08-2014, 05:52 PM
nothing more than irresponsible journalism ( and I am using that word in its loosest possible terms )

this is liken to .....

Rooney sends edict to the team to run the ball more

when what he really said was

Rooney sends edict to the team to run the ball more EFFECTIVELY

1 word can change perception of a statement , a true journalist makes sure he gets the words correctly whereas an irresponsible journalist just jots down the words that create as much shock and awe in order to make more money

stillers4me
01-08-2014, 06:16 PM
It's been open season on Ben and the Steelers on PFT since you know when.

Count Steeler
01-08-2014, 06:25 PM
So after 2 seasons, there have been no sideline dramatics (Tomlin notwithstanding) and Ben is putting up pretty good career numbers and he was only sacked 7 times in the last 7 games. The running game is coming around and the O line is gelling.

I would say the offense has recovered and will only get better next year.

I don't think Art is going to mess this up. Ben will be taken care of once all the other decisions are made. Ala Taylor, Woodley, Polamalu, Keisel, etc.

stillers4me
01-08-2014, 07:53 PM

vindrow
01-08-2014, 07:55 PM
I don't know why anyone believes anything Florio says.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2014, 07:58 PM
I don't know why anyone believes anything Florio says.

if sports journalism gets job security this good, im switching my major

salamander
01-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Ben's one of those players that I just cannot picture playing for any other team.

MrPgh
01-09-2014, 10:00 AM
nothing more than irresponsible journalism ( and I am using that word in its loosest possible terms )

this is liken to .....

Rooney sends edict to the team to run the ball more

when what he really said was

Rooney sends edict to the team to run the ball more EFFECTIVELY

1 word can change perception of a statement , a true journalist makes sure he gets the words correctly whereas an irresponsible journalist just jots down the words that create as much shock and awe in order to make more money

Except their play at times during Haley's tenure as OC has suggested the Steelers were banging their heads against a wall try to do the former.