PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Defense could face another bad year

GBMelBlount
01-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Rock, meet hard place....

.....The Steelers defense needs a face-lift. It's a matter of whether they do that with a transplant or a comb-over.

They can help fix their up-against-it salary cap by being ruthless.

They could release Polamalu and Ike Taylor or ask one or both to take salary cuts. Releasing Polamalu would save them $8.25 million and Taylor would save $7 million. That $15.25 million cap savings would take place immediately and could be applied toward signing linebacker Jason Worilds. They could then release LaMarr Woodley in June and pick up another $8 million in cap savings.

They will save $6.25 million when they release offensive tackle Levi Brown, whom they have no intention of keeping. There are other ways around the salary cap, which the Steelers believe is manageable and not in dire shape.

However, shaking most of their highest-paid players out of the roster would drain them of experience, leadership and perhaps even better performance. Taylor and Polamalu, for example, may no longer be in their prime, but do they have anyone else who can match their play?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/05/On-the-Steelers-Defense-could-face-another-bad-year/stories/2014010501040000000#ixzz2pYdRXHWb

ALLD
01-05-2014, 02:28 PM
I think Polamalu intends on honoring his contract.

fansince'76
01-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Define "bad." Defense is going the way of the dodo anyway. Which is why I hope the Steelers stop spending 2/3 of their cap dollars on that side of the ball. I can only imagine what this offense could do with a guy like Fitz lining up on the opposite side of AB.

Bluecoat96
01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
They'll be ok. I don't think they'll set the world on fire, but they'll be good enough. I think we'll finally see the offense carry the team. (I hope)

steelerdude15
01-05-2014, 04:51 PM
There is a very strong possibility this could happen. Other than Cam, who could be effective on our line? Larry will be back, but how long will it take for him to get back up to game speed? I don't see him flying out of the gate and being the good run stopper he is in week one. Then, will Robert or Shamarko be ready to be a full time starter for free safety if Ryan isn't resigned? I guess we'll see. I am hoping for the best though.

Psycho Ward 86
01-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Define "bad." Defense is going the way of the dodo anyway. Which is why I hope the Steelers stop spending 2/3 of their cap dollars on that side of the ball. I can only imagine what this offense could do with a guy like Fitz lining up on the opposite side of AB.

Which is why if Marqise Lee is available at #15 i would happily consider taking him, or if Sammy Watkins/Mike Evans starts dropping, I would seriously considering trading up a bit (especially if its mike evans). if the O-line finally holds their shit together for a whole season, our offense will finally be able to carry the team.

Would be nice to feel confident that our offense is going to raise hell in almost every game for once.

st33lersguy
01-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Ike and Woodley have got to go. At the very least they have to cut Polamalu's salary by $3 million. This should provide some room to re-sign Worilds and Cotchery, both of whom need to be re-signed.