PDA

View Full Version : Todd Haley to keep his job as Pittsburgh Steelers' OC

GBMelBlount
01-05-2014, 02:12 PM
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay First" on Saturday that offensive coordinator Todd Haley is expected to remain on the team's staff for 2014.

"When you talk to people familiar with that situation, what they say is that some of the other coaches -- Kirby Wilson the running backs coach, also Mike Tomlin -- became more involved with the offense," Rapoport said. "And also Haley allowed Ben (Roethlisberger) to run the no-huddle that he really wants."

Big Ben excelled over the latter portion of the Steelers' schedule after being incredibly frustrated during the team's 0-4 start to the season. The no-huddle offense allowed the quarterback to breach the 4,000-yard plateau (4,261) for just the third time in his career.

Much of Roethlisberger's early season frustration stemmed from the lack of no-huddle, which allows him to call plays according to Rapoport. By the end of the season the Steelers thrived utilizing no-huddle.

Haley's ability to adapt and allow his All-Pro quarterback the freedom to run the offense will keep his job safe for another season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308864/article/todd-haley-to-keep-his-job-as-pittsburgh-steelers-oc[/QUOTE]

X-Terminator
01-05-2014, 02:17 PM
It's Rapa-liar, but this is pretty much a non-story. No one expected Haley to lose his job. However, he had better continue to allow Ben to take control of the offense next season. No more of his ego and stubbornness getting in the way.

ALLD
01-05-2014, 02:20 PM
It's not like they gave him an extension. I was all for Haley coming in, but he did not live up to the hype. Ben needs to have a quick option just to take the heat off the OL and himself. Once he recognizes that fact, then he can take us back to the SB and capture the MVP.

fansince'76
01-05-2014, 02:24 PM
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said...

Was this decided before or after Ben demanded to be traded? :coffee:

OTOH, I hope he makes another mind-numbingly stupid declaration during training camp this summer to piss Roethlisberger off again. That seemed to wake the whole team up.

Dwinsgames
01-05-2014, 03:42 PM
the no huddle is not what saved this team from 0-16 , better line play was as much a part of it as anything and top it all off with better ball security over the second half of the season is what permitted this team to come out as mediocre

stillers4me
01-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Whatever they did in the last half of the season, keep doing it. And do it better.

Shoes
01-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Was this decided before or after Ben demanded to be traded? :coffee:

OTOH, I hope he makes another mind-numbingly stupid declaration during training camp this summer to piss Roethlisberger off again. That seemed to wake the whole team up.

Yep, NFL network is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

GBMelBlount
01-05-2014, 05:48 PM
the no huddle is not what saved this team from 0-16 , better line play was as much a part of it as anything and top it all off with better ball security over the second half of the season is what permitted this team to come out as mediocre

We are in agreement on the line play being a big factor but do you really think the no huddle had nothing to do with it? It seems like that is what you are implying

smokin3000gt
01-05-2014, 05:49 PM
If that's what Ian is reporting, it gives me reason to believe Haley will not be returning in 2014. I don't believe a word out of his mouth.

Dwinsgames
01-05-2014, 05:53 PM
We are in agreement on the line play being a big factor but do you really think the no huddle had nothing to do with it? It seems like that is what you are implying

I wouldn't say nothing to do with it , sure it helped ... but look at it this way , what good would the no huddle have done had the line play not improved ?

also , what good would the no huddle have done if Ben would have been as careless with the football as he was in the first half of the season ?

so giving the no huddle most if not all the credit is as bad as giving it none of the credit from where I sit ...

and many here have done just that ( not everyone obviously ) but some ....

SCSTILLER
01-05-2014, 06:22 PM

Also, having a serviceable run game to keep the LB's in check helped out also with Leveon Bell coming into his own. That definitely helped out the last half of the season.

GBMelBlount
01-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Also, having a serviceable run game to keep the LB's in check helped out also with Leveon Bell coming into his own. That definitely helped out the last half of the season.

I think Bell has good potential but he only averaged 3.5 ypc this season SC. That's not very good imo. Do you know if his ypc bumped up at the end of the season?

Anyway, I don't think it's his fault. It's the line. Same as it has been.

Granted he adds another dimension catching balls out of the backfield but I think the run game next year hinges as much on the line opening holes as anything else.

Shoes
01-05-2014, 06:42 PM
No surprise here. I think things will smooth out next season. Ben stayed healthy in part by Haley doing what he was hired to do…..keeping Ben on his feet.

Dwinsgames
01-05-2014, 06:51 PM
I think Bell has good potential but he only averaged 3.5 ypc this season SC. That's not very good imo. Do you know if his ypc bumped up at the end of the season?

Anyway, I don't think it's his fault. It's the line. Same as it has been.

Granted he adds another dimension catching balls out of the backfield but I think the run game next year hinges as much on the line opening holes as anything else.

we averaged 4.0 YPC with Dwyer in 2012 and that was not considered good enough .... but you are right Bell will be fine his YPC average did increase a bit late in the year but the line sucked so bad early on until after the midway point of the season that hindered his ability to be solid throughout ..... couple that with the ill effects of lack of meaningful reps due to injuries and the lingering effects of those injuries that he probably was not at 100% all season ...

hopefully the line picks up where it left off and continues to improve in 2014 and bell can get out of training camp and preseason healthy

GBMelBlount
01-05-2014, 07:03 PM
we averaged 4.0 YPC with Dwyer in 2012 and that was not considered good enough .... but you are right Bell will be fine his YPC average did increase a bit late in the year but the line sucked so bad early on until after the midway point of the season that hindered his ability to be solid throughout ..... couple that with the ill effects of lack of meaningful reps due to injuries and the lingering effects of those injuries that he probably was not at 100% all season ...

hopefully the line picks up where it left off and continues to improve in 2014 and bell can get out of training camp and preseason healthy

Young line, new runningback. Chalk the year up to experience I guess. Next year could be very different.

You know I have been vacillating on the wide receiver in the draft but after thinking about it we may just be one more solid weapon away from having an absolutely lethal offense.

Our defense is not going to break any records next year (at least not in a good way) so maybe giving Ben that one last piece may be the key to outscoring our opponents and having a winning season next year....or maybe even making a run for #7.

Dwinsgames
01-05-2014, 07:29 PM
I am all for another weapon on O ... put me down for a late 2nd or mid 3rd round WR and another TE with our first comp pick in the 3rd , we will have to trade back to gather a 3rd round selection though since we shipped ours to Cleveland in the last draft to snag Shamarko Thomas ....

I Like Kelvin Benjamin and Donte Moncrief a LOT late second to mid 3rd rounds and I do not think there is a more complete TE in this draft than Health Miller 2.0 ( C.J. Fiedorowitz ) who may hang around long enough for us to take with a comp pick in round 3

zulater
01-05-2014, 07:37 PM
There isn't a team in the league that would win with David Paulson as their starting tight end, Mike Adams their starting left tackle, and Isaac Redman as their starting running back, playing at the level they were. Plus the no huddle was pretty much out for the first month of the season with a new center getting acclimated to the system. So the sacks, the turnovers, the inability to convert 3rd downs, it wasn't Ben, it wasn't Haley, it was just we were playing a shitty hand at the time. Dug a hole we couldn't crawl out of as a result.

That doesn't mean we don't need to improve. As we stand now I think we've got a 11-5 offense and a 6-10 defense. I project a 10-6 type year unless we can really upgrade the defense .

dislocatedday
01-05-2014, 07:50 PM
There isn't a team in the league that would win with David Paulson as their starting tight end, Mike Adams their starting left tackle, and Isaac Redman as their starting running back, playing at the level they were. ...<snip>.

I did not know whether to laugh or cry when I read that sentence, but you raise a good point. I had almost forgotten that Redman was even on this team and starting at the beginning of the season. Couple that with Mike Adams being completely overwhelmed at LT, and Paulson doing the same at the TE position, and I can now see why Ben was trying to do too much and forcing things early in the season.

tube517
01-06-2014, 10:43 PM
http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/todd-haley-chiefs-suck.jpg

steeldawg
01-07-2014, 07:27 AM

The yards per carry is so misleading bell 244 carries 860yds 3.5ypc 45rec 399yds 8tds that's a very good rookie season especially after missing preseason and the first 4 games. Dwyer avg 4.0ypc but on only 156 carries, Bell already has 14 more carries, 111 less rush yards, 18 more catches, more than double the amount of receiving yards, and 6 more touchdowns, in 12 games compared to dwyers 4 year career. Bell is going to be a 300+ touch type back so maintaining a high ypc avg well be difficult.

Edman
01-07-2014, 06:46 PM
It's Rapa-liar, but this is pretty much a non-story. No one expected Haley to lose his job. However, he had better continue to allow Ben to take control of the offense next season. No more of his ego and stubbornness getting in the way.

Considering it was Ian Rapaport that finally caused Ben to wake up from lethargy and play above and beyond and turn our season around, I don't mind it.

Ben was absolutely nothing special in 2013 until the "report" broke out. He proceeded to tear things up.

cold-hard-steel
01-07-2014, 07:50 PM

considering we had a makeshift o-line or should i say mach iv , from the start , we were pretty much clueless in the first 4 or 5 games .
to change an o/c now would only detriment what we already accomplished thus far .

haley should stay !

Dwinsgames
01-07-2014, 07:54 PM
considering we ha a makeshift o-line or should i say mach iv , from the start , we were pretty much clueless in the first 4 or 5 games .
to change an o/c now would only detriment what we already accomplished thus far .

haley should stay !

don't believe I said he shouldn't LOL

cold-hard-steel
01-07-2014, 08:27 PM
don't believe I said he shouldn't LOL

But the "o-line sucked early " was my point .

Dwinsgames
01-07-2014, 10:20 PM
But the "o-line sucked early " was my point .

I agree it sucked early on , it improved but it was still not " good" we have grown so accustomed to it blowing chunks that when it only made us throw up in our mouths a little bit we liked it .......

I am not ready to accept it , but it is a welcome improvement and more palatable than we started with ...... its still not steak folks its only hamburger

MrPgh
01-09-2014, 10:03 AM
FYI, Jerry Jones Jr. declined to acknowledge that the Steelers were done making changes to their coaching staff.

Dwinsgames
01-09-2014, 06:00 PM
http://ts4.explicit.bing.net/th?id=H.4645579605673175&w=181&h=177&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

enough Rooney bashing asshole

Count Steeler
01-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Let's turn the tone down please.

cold-hard-steel
01-09-2014, 07:09 PM
http://ts4.explicit.bing.net/th?id=H.4645579605673175&w=181&h=177&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

enough Rooney bashing asshole

Now thats one strong cup of Joe . Pour me another one . Colombian style please .

cold-hard-steel
01-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Turning the corner into a fresh season is what this team "will " be about . Do we have work to do ? Sure enough . Do we have the players in place to help in the corner ? I think so . But we have to stand by and wait another year to be sure . I am , and always have been a believer . Nothing to do with this thread , but thinking of my (our ) HTG !!!!!!!

X-Terminator
01-09-2014, 09:15 PM
FYI, Jerry Jones Jr. declined to acknowledge that the Steelers were done making changes to their coaching staff.

Whoa, hit the brakes there, chief. I may have my own issues with Art II, but Jerry Jones-like he ain't.

Shoes
01-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Whoa, hit the brakes there, chief. I may have my own issues with Art II, but Jerry Jones-like he ain't.

You got that right. If Art II was like jj, I would have been done watching football long ago.

MrPgh
01-10-2014, 09:47 AM

Sure there are differences. Art II is quieter than Jerry Jones. He doesn't speak to the media as often, and when he does it's usually just to the softball local media.