PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Jones will work to get stronger, not just bigger

Psycho Ward 86
01-03-2014, 02:10 PM
The Steelers' first rookie starting outside linebacker in over 30 years looks to improve physically to improve on his underwhelming first season

Jarvis Jones didn't exactly push to lead all NFL rookies in sacks. Neither he (one sack) nor the Steelers (34) had much success in that regard. But Jones showed much more promise in Week 17 than he did in Week 1. That leads to the belief the 15th game of his career (he missed two his rookie season) and beyond will be considerably better than where he started.

He had nine tackles in Pittsburgh's 20-7 win over Cleveland in the season finale, and he was facing Cleveland's All-Pro level left tackle Joe Thomas.

Read more: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/1/3/5269356/steelers-jarvis-jones-2013

katmandu
01-05-2014, 12:09 AM
The Steelers' first rookie starting outside linebacker in over 30 years looks to improve physically to improve on his underwhelming first season

Jarvis Jones didn't exactly push to lead all NFL rookies in sacks. Neither he (one sack) nor the Steelers (34) had much success in that regard. But Jones showed much more promise in Week 17 than he did in Week 1. That leads to the belief the 15th game of his career (he missed two his rookie season) and beyond will be considerably better than where he started.

He had nine tackles in Pittsburgh's 20-7 win over Cleveland in the season finale, and he was facing Cleveland's All-Pro level left tackle Joe Thomas.

Read more: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/1/3/5269356/steelers-jarvis-jones-2013He meeds to put on a good 10-15lb of muscle IMHO. Only skinny Linebacker that was any decent was Jack Splat!

While we're on this topic, I think Bell could use more meat on his bones as well.

GBMelBlount
01-05-2014, 06:44 AM
He meeds to put on a good 10-15lb of muscle IMHO. Only skinny Linebacker that was any decent was Jack Splat!

While we're on this topic, I think Bell could use more meat on his bones as well.

I've been thinking this about bell too. He does not look 230.

SteelerFanInStl
01-05-2014, 10:03 AM
He meeds to put on a good 10-15lb of muscle IMHO. Only skinny Linebacker that was any decent was Jack Splat!

When Jack was playing offensive linemen didn't weigh 320lb+. They were closer to 260lb. No one would be able to play LBer in the NFL today at Jacks size.

ALLD
01-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Just make him angry.
http://subcultureforthecultured.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/hulk1.jpg

katmandu
01-05-2014, 06:27 PM
I've been thinking this about bell too. He does not look 230.He looks about 220 to me.

GBMelBlount
01-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Just make him angry.
http://subcultureforthecultured.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/hulk1.jpg

LOL!

Maybe Bell looks 220 because he is an inch or two taller than a lot of backs.

Regardless, it is possible for someone who is serious to put on a pound or more of muscle on a month.

Let's hope he comes back next year angry and hulklike. LOL.

katmandu
01-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Just hope they are stupid enough to do steroids.

I had a good friend who was a body builder die at age 49. He was runner up Mr.Ohio in 1988. His body was ravaged from the after effects of steroid use. He had a heart attack at age 37, both hips replaced by age 45 and contracted Leukemia shortly there after. The Leukemia ended up killing him.

Sorry bout the highjack, but it's important for people to know these very real dangers of steroid use.

NCSteeler
01-06-2014, 08:45 AM
These fellas are just barely 20, still got some growing to do.

GBMelBlount
01-06-2014, 09:23 AM

I had a good friend who was a body builder die at age 49. He was runner up Mr.Ohio in 1988. His body was ravaged from the after effects of steroid use. He had a heart attack at age 37, both hips replaced by age 45 and contracted Leukemia shortly there after. The Leukemia ended up killing him.

Sorry bout the highjack, but it's important for people to know these very real dangers of steroid use.

Great post Kat....and what a shame.

It is frustrating when you are working out hard and essentially peak or plateau knowing you can take it to a whole new level simply by taking steroids.

Steelerstrength won the all natural world body building championship in the mid 90's (I think?) and I am sure he was approached every day by steroid sellers.

I also imagine it would be tough as hell to come off them and watch your size and strength vanish before your eyes.

Not an expert but I would imagine it is mentally addictive in some manner...hard to come off of once you see how much bigger and stronger it can make you.

steeldawg
01-06-2014, 09:28 AM

Bell is listed at 244lbs the only reason he looks smaller is because he is 6'1'', Bell is just fine right where he is he showed no lack of power running the ball.

GBMelBlount
01-06-2014, 09:30 AM
These fellas are just barely 20, still got some growing to do.

Physically AND mentally.

zulater
01-06-2014, 09:33 AM

I take it that was supposed to say "aren't"?

Regardless I doubt there are many players using steroids anymore. But HGH is another matter entirely. My guess is anywhere from 15-50% of the league uses it to some extent. And the long term repercussions of HGH use hasn't been established as far as I know.

So would it surprise me if Jarvis goes and gets a little help from a lab? No, and wouldn't necessarily disappoint me either.

steeldawg
01-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Regardless I doubt there are many players using steroids anymore. But HGH is another matter entirely. My guess is anywhere from 15-50% of the league uses it to some extent. And the long term repercussions of HGH use hasn't been established as far as I know.

So would it surprise me if Jarvis goes and gets a little help from a lab? No, and wouldn't necessarily disappoint me either.

Ya im sure steroids are pretty much obsolete for athletes because with hgh you can add significant strength without unnecessary bulk allowing players to get stronger without sacrificing agility. Also hgh is much safer than steroids and in a lot of ways good for the body.

Dwinsgames
01-06-2014, 04:30 PM
He looks about 220 to me.

would not be the first time an NFL team was disingenuous in the listing of a players measurable's

jb500ex
01-08-2014, 01:51 AM

About 80% are using illegal performance enhancing products

Count Steeler
01-08-2014, 04:49 AM
About 80% are using illegal performance enhancing products

Conjecture or factual? Link please.

GBMelBlount
01-08-2014, 06:47 AM

The 80% wouldn't surprise me just based on human nature.

It can make such a big difference in performance and the wallet for an nfl player and it sounds like there is not a lot of proof yet that HGH is harmful.

fansince'76
01-08-2014, 08:53 AM

Don't hold your breath...

jb500ex
01-08-2014, 06:28 PM
this is from our experience and I will leave it at that

GBMelBlount
01-08-2014, 06:34 PM
All I can say is Suisham's performance has certainly improved...no doubt from meditating and cutting out sweets.

Count Steeler
01-08-2014, 06:37 PM
this is from our experience and I will leave it at that

Who is "our"? The Steelers? Please let us in on who you represent.

GBMelBlount
01-08-2014, 06:46 PM

Kinda of funny how you phrased that.

http://blog.sanfranciscomusicbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/wizard-of-oz-munchkins.jpg

jb500ex
01-08-2014, 06:50 PM
I will say it once and I'm done with this. I owned and been involved with sports nutrition companies who have worked with many nfl players. And before anyone says something we've always been on the up and up that's why we started.

Count Steeler
01-08-2014, 06:56 PM
I will say it once and I'm done with this. I owned and been involved with sports nutrition companies who have worked with many nfl players. And before anyone says something we've always been on the up and up that's why we started.

Don't know why you are being coy about this. If you have stories to tell, please share. You don't have to mention names.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2014, 07:42 PM

while we are all getting surprising things off our chest id like to join in.

I am Beyonce.

GBMelBlount
01-08-2014, 10:34 PM
while we are all getting surprising things off our chest id like to join in.

I am Beyonce.

So you played in a super bowl. :whoo:

Cool.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaspOoSaxpDOB5X7n-8tYVlCZQ2OCIwtRZKKt-HeIoll-7aCWQ

fansince'76
01-08-2014, 11:01 PM
http://desertpeace.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/bovine-excrement-meter-animation.gif

X-Terminator
01-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Based on what I've learned about sports nutritional supplements, jb500ex is closer to being correct than you all realize. I don't think it's as high as 80%, but I'd say it's more than 50%. It's to the point where there is now an organization that does nothing but test various sports nutrition supplements so that whatever it says on the label is exactly what is in the product, and if it passes, they are given their seal of approval. Check them out here: http://www.informed-choice.org.