PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Mike Munchak Accepts Steelers OL Coach Position

Psycho Ward 86
01-03-2014, 02:06 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/latest-news/2014/1/3/5270864/steelers-fire-offensive-line-coach-jack-bicknell-jr

Pittsburgh will hire third offensive line coach in three years after Bicknell's dismissal.

Despite an outstanding second half to the 2012 season in terms of production (or a reduction of sacks allowed) the Steelers have fired offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr., one season after hiring him to replace Sean Kugler.

It will make the third offensive line coach in the last three years for the Steelers, which is particularly pointed, considering 2012 first and second round draft picks, right guard David DeCastro and left tackle Mike Adams, will play with their third coach in three season. Four in their last four, including their final years in college.

The Steelers offensive line performed well in the team's final eight games in terms of pass protection, but the running game struggled all season long - and has for the last two years. Bicknell was brought in, as thought by some, to implement a zone blocking scheme which never fully materialized. Some of the reason for the lack of outside zone running was thought to be due to the loss of center Maurkice Pouncey, who tore an ACL in the first quarter of Pittsburgh's Week 1 loss to Tennessee.

EDIT: Mods, please delete this thread, looks like 3 of us posted a "jack bicknell got fired" article at the EXACT same time :lol:

MrPgh
Steelers fire offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr.
Posted by Josh Alper on January 3, 2014

The Steelers have made the first change to their coaching staff of the offseason.
The team announced Friday that offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. has been fired. Bicknell was hired last year after Sean Kugler left to become the head coach at UTEP and had previously coached the offensive lines for the Chiefs and Giants.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/03/steelers-fire-offensive-line-coach-jack-bicknell-jr/

This is quite a surprise considering the line improved over the year.

Mojouw
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/03/steelers-fire-offensive-line-coach-jack-bicknell-jr/

Starting all over again in the never ending cycle to fix the offensive line. By the time this all gets sorted out, there won't be a QB to protect...

Shoes
01-03-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm not surprised.

Steelman
01-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Well, can't say we didn't see this coming. But the o-line was playing as good as I've ever seen it in recent years the last 6 weeks. Guess somebody had to take the fall for a 8-8 season.

MrPgh
01-03-2014, 02:19 PM
I wonder why Bicknell gets fired but Haley is apparently safe?

Shoes
01-03-2014, 02:22 PM
I wonder why Bicknell gets fired but Haley is apparently safe?

Because Art II hired Haley. I'm willing to give Haley another year.

Who's the next O-line coach going to be?

Dwinsgames
01-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Well, can't say we didn't see this coming. But the o-line was playing as good as I've ever seen it in recent years the last 6 weeks. Guess somebody had to take the fall for a 8-8 season.

and in the polar opposite the first 9 weeks of the season could not have been worse ....

so the question to be asked
A) was Bicknell the reason they sucked so bad
or
B) the reason they improved so much ?

from the teams standpoint apparently it is A)

MrPgh
01-03-2014, 02:28 PM
and in the polar opposite the first 9 weeks of the season could not have been worse ....

so the question to be asked
A) was Bicknell the reason they sucked so bad
or
B) the reason they improved so much ?

from the teams standpoint apparently it is A)

Following that logic, why should Haley be safe? He's a pretty damn big reason the Steelers sucked in the first month of the season.

Psycho Ward 86
01-03-2014, 02:35 PM
i have no problem with this as long as we hire a better replacement.

Not sure why people think haley should be gone if bicknell is. Haley is at least willing to adapt to an O-line that has been bad for 6 straight season, unlike Arians. Whats to say a new offensive coordinator wont be as stubborn in that regard as Arians was?

When your line cant even keep their shit together for simple screen passes like they did for the 1st couple of games, firing the O-line coach is something to at least think about. What's haley supposed to do about an O-line that cant hold a block for hardly a second? Call a play that develops even faster than a screen?

MrPgh
01-03-2014, 02:39 PM
i have no problem with this as long as we hire a better replacement.

Not sure why people think haley should be gone if bicknell is. Haley is at least willing to adapt to an O-line that has been bad for 6 straight season, unlike Arians. Whats to say a new offensive coordinator wont be as stubborn in that regard as Arians was?

When your line cant even keep their shit together for simple screen passes like they did for the 1st couple of games, firing the O-line coach is something to at least think about. What's haley supposed to do about an O-line that cant hold a block for hardly a second? Call a play that develops even faster than a screen?

Because it took him far too long to realize the offense is at it's best when it's in the no-huddle. To imply Haley was never stubborn is just plain wrong.

Psycho Ward 86
01-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Because it took him far too long to realize the offense is at it's best when it's in the no-huddle. To imply Haley was never stubborn is just plain wrong.

I agree that Haley was stubborn in that regard. However, ill take an OC that is more flexible about standard play calling than one who is more flexible about how much no-huddle to play in or not.

If you're offense cant score for shit other than in the no-huddle, it has bigger problems to worry about. You can only sustain a no-huddle for so long. When will people recognize that instead of seeing the no-huddle as an "end all" means? Its not a cure to a generally underwhelming offense, its an alleviating salve.

MrPgh
01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
I agree that Haley was stubborn in that regard. However, ill take an OC that is more flexible about standard play calling than one who is more flexible about how much no-huddle to play in or not.

If you're offense cant score for shit other than in the no-huddle, it has bigger problems to worry about. You can only sustain a no-huddle for so long. When will people recognize that instead of seeing the no-huddle as an "end all" means? Its not a cure to a generally underwhelming offense, its an alleviating salve.

The no-huddle was their best weapon. They should have used it until it proved to no longer be effective. Anything else is over-thinking things.

And the idea that Haley was flexible to standard play calling is quite laughable. He either threw bubble screens that went for losses or kept running the ball into a brick wall until the team was down by multiple possessions.

Bluecoat96
01-03-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm on my phone, so I can't really copy and paste the link, but I just read a blog from Gerry Dulac that explained some of the possible reasoning behind the firing. According to his sources (take it for what it's worth) Bicknell's role with the team had been diminishing over the course of the second half of the season. Apparently, most of the instruction for the O-line was being done by an Offensive Assistant. (Name escapes me) Pretty telling.

Psycho Ward 86
01-03-2014, 03:08 PM
The no-huddle was their best weapon. They should have used it until it proved to no longer be effective. Anything else is over-thinking things.

And the idea that Haley was flexible to standard play calling is quite laughable. He either threw bubble screens that went for losses or kept running the ball into a brick wall until the team was down by multiple possessions.

Why do you insist on using the no-huddle offense until it is proven to fail? No one has ever utilized the no-huddle for the span of entire games other than Jim Kelly and his K-gun offense. And they were only able to do so because the no-huddle was a newer concept back then. Do you think this is an offense capable of carrying us to 4 super bowls? You shouldnt, this offense has been pretty average and underachieving for 5-6 years (16th in points scored, 20th in total yards, 12th in passing yards, 27th in rushing yards and many of us are excited about the offense's potential. That should tell you something). You believe we are somehow capable of being the next team to be able to do this for long stretches of time throughout a game?

I am unimpressed by anything the steelers have done offensively since 2005, but Haley actually utilizes his tight ends and running backs as receiving weapons, at least utilizes a fullback at times, and uses more than just a plethora of downfield routes, the reason why ben has normally been hit so much in the first place. And all of the aforementioned subjects are areas where Arians was adamant in not adjusting.

bubble screens that went for losses? Brown was top 5 among all receivers in YAC. And practically all of our bubble screens went to him. Where is your evidence? http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsAfterCatch

ALLD
01-03-2014, 03:34 PM
The D has been carrying the O for years. Now the D is aging rapidly and the O's mistakes are more visible and have more impact on wins and losses. Sooner or later they will fix the OL. Took awhile for STs, but it is at least average or better with AB as KR.

Count Steeler
01-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Good riddance. And DO NOT hire anyone that even remotely suggests chop/cut blocks.

Give the job to the assistant that got the line turned around. 7 sacks, 7 games, 7 SB. Let the trend continue.

Dwinsgames
01-03-2014, 03:53 PM
I find it laughable that anyone would suggest we have run the ball early in games till down by multiple scores ....

show me the numbers that support such nonsense !!!

394 total rushes on the season less than 25 per game season average ....

586 passing attempts 37 attempts per game average .....

the numbers do not support any such claims

MrPgh
01-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Why do you insist on using the no-huddle offense until it is proven to fail? No one has ever utilized the no-huddle for the span of entire games other than Jim Kelly and his K-gun offense. And they were only able to do so because the no-huddle was a newer concept back then. Do you think this is an offense capable of carrying us to 4 super bowls? You shouldnt, this offense has been pretty average and underachieving for 5-6 years (16th in points scored, 20th in total yards, 12th in passing yards, 27th in rushing yards and many of us are excited about the offense's potential. That should tell you something). You believe we are somehow capable of being the next team to be able to do this for long stretches of time throughout a game?

I do know it was their best option, because the other stuff sure as hell wasn't working.

I am unimpressed by anything the steelers have done offensively since 2005, but Haley actually utilizes his tight ends and running backs as receiving weapons, at least utilizes a fullback at times, and uses more than just a plethora of downfield routes, the reason why ben has normally been hit so much in the first place. And all of the aforementioned subjects are areas where Arians was adamant in not adjusting.

Most of those TEs and RBs with the except of Miller and Bell were bums. Why in the hell would a team want to utilize those types of players more? The Steelers tried to do that in the first four games. What was their record in those games again?

bubble screens that went for losses? Brown was top 5 among all receivers in YAC. And practically all of our bubble screens went to him. Where is your evidence? http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsAfterCatch

How many of those YAC were from bubble screens? Most of the big plays from Brown I remember weren't on screens.

Here's a stat you should keep in mind: the Steelers have been 16-16 since hiring Todd Haley. Haley has either been a negative to this offense or has been useless when the offense is in no-huddle. Given that and his off-field problems, the Steelers would be much better off parting ways with Haley and promoting someone from the staff.

Dwinsgames
01-03-2014, 04:13 PM
looks like Mike Munchak will be looking for work by Tomorrow ...

he would be at the top of my list of calls to make

steelerdude15
01-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Personally, I disagree with his firing. The reason why I disagree with his firing is because that means another person is going to come in and have a new scheme for the O-line to learn. IMO, that means it could take longer for the O-line to gel into what it could be by learning new information after just learning this scheme. The possibility of having another scheme in three straight years is never a good thing for any position. Also, just like anything else in life, it takes time for things to work out and for people to become comfortable with things. As noted earlier, in the second half of the season, the O-line was doing a far better job in pass protection then it did in the first half. Of course, there was also personnel change that helped. I think that the run protection also was a little better, but the O-line was not doing a good job of opening up holes for our running backs. We started to see the O-line gel with each other and there could have been the chance that they were gelling with their new coach. I think the constant changing of coaches and schemes prolongs the growth of any position in football, but that is just my opinion.

I'm on my phone, so I can't really copy and paste the link, but I just read a blog from Gerry Dulac that explained some of the possible reasoning behind the firing. According to his sources (take it for what it's worth) Bicknell's role with the team had been diminishing over the course of the second half of the season. Apparently, most of the instruction for the O-line was being done by an Offensive Assistant. (Name escapes me) Pretty telling.

If this was true, then maybe they could possibly give that assistant a chance. I would be open to it if this was true and in fact, that person did make a difference.

Psycho Ward 86
01-03-2014, 04:30 PM
1) I do know it was their best option, because the other stuff sure as hell wasn't working.

2) Most of those TEs and RBs with the except of Miller and Bell were bums. Why in the hell would a team want to utilize those types of players more? The Steelers tried to do that in the first four games. What was their record in those games again?

3) How many of those YAC were from bubble screens? Most of the big plays from Brown I remember weren't on screens.

4) Here's a stat you should keep in mind: the Steelers have been 16-16 since hiring Todd Haley. Haley has either been a negative to this offense or has been useless when the offense is in no-huddle. Given that and his off-field problems, the Steelers would be much better off parting ways with Haley and promoting someone from the staff.

1) Thats because they need to improve it, again. Why are you suggesting that we become only the 2nd team to use the no-huddle almost exclusively or for large portions of games? The only team that has been successful at that is Jim Kelly's K-Gun offense, and thats only because the no-huddle was a new offensive concept. Defenses adjusted accordingly, and it is now only a weapon in every team's toolbelt, not an end-all weapon.

2) I explicitly expressed differences between arians and haley. you are confused and thought i was talking about haley in that instance. Unless you are really confused and think bruce arians ever had the chance to coach leveon bell.

3) A lot? We both agree that we throw a lot of bubble screens, we both implicitly seem to agree that most of those bubble screens go to antonio brown by far, yet you somehow are deducing that antonio brown catching a bubble screen usually ended badly for him (and dropped for negative yards) and not the opposing defense? Strongly disagree

4) The convenient thing about associating a team record with an individual assistant coach is that you can play with it to benefit whatever point someone is trying to make . The steelers have a record of .500 since hiring Richard Mann and Danny Smith. Whats your point? Canning an entire offense that found its groove down the stretch and protected Ben could be detrimental for an offense with so many young players. Just an O-line coach is better damage control.

fansince'76
01-03-2014, 04:45 PM

On the face of it, I would be disagreeing with this firing considering the significant improvement by the OL down the stretch. However, if it was due to another assistant and Bicknell was essentially neutered, then I have no problem with it and I say promote the assistant.

Dwinsgames
01-03-2014, 04:55 PM
This almost has to be the guy responsible for improved line play if the prior info is correct

Biography
Shaun Sarrett is in his second season with the Steelers as the team’s offensive assistant. Sarrett helps coach the offensive line and assists the offensive coaching staff with game preparation, video analysis and the scouting of opponents.

Sarrett, 34, spent three seasons as the offensive quality control and offensive line assistant coach for Duke University. During the 2011 season, Sarrett assumed Ron Middleton’s tight end coaching responsibilities when an injury sidelined him. He joined the Duke staff after spending two years as a graduate assistant at Marshall University, where he earned a master’s degree in special education. Prior to his stint with Marshall, he served as an offensive and defensive line coach at Streetsboro High School (Streetsboro, Ohio).

A native of Beckley, W. Va., Sarrett played guard for Kent State University and was a three-year letterman. He received the Dick Scesniak Award for overcoming adversity during the 2003 season, and he earned his degree in health education in 2004.

fansince'76
01-03-2014, 05:04 PM
This almost has to be the guy responsible for improved line play if the prior info is correct

Biography

Shaun Sarrett is in his second season with the Steelers as the team’s offensive assistant. Sarrett helps coach the offensive line and assists the offensive coaching staff with game preparation, video analysis and the scouting of opponents.

Sarrett, 34, spent three seasons as the offensive quality control and offensive line assistant coach for Duke University. During the 2011 season, Sarrett assumed Ron Middleton’s tight end coaching responsibilities when an injury sidelined him. He joined the Duke staff after spending two years as a graduate assistant at Marshall University, where he earned a master’s degree in special education. Prior to his stint with Marshall, he served as an offensive and defensive line coach at Streetsboro High School (Streetsboro, Ohio).

A native of Beckley, W. Va., Sarrett played guard for Kent State University and was a three-year letterman. He received the Dick Scesniak Award for overcoming adversity during the 2003 season, and he earned his degree in health education in 2004.

Yep - I found the Dulac blog post Matt was talking about:

Gerry Dulac
about 2 hours ago

Why the Steelers decided to fire OL coach Jack Bickknell Jr.

The Steelers’ decision to fire offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. after just one season might come as a surprise because of the steady improvement of the offensive line in the second half of the year.

However, the move is not surprising because Bicknell’s role slowly diminished after the Steelers had problems protecting Ben Roethlisberger and running the football in the first half of the season.

In fact, for most of the second half of the season, offensive assistant Shaun Sarrett was doing a lot of the instruction and daily handling of the offensive line, according to sources – duties normally performed by the offensive line coach.

What’s more, it did not help Bicknell’s cause that the outside zone blocking schemes that were to be a large part of the team’s revamped running scheme were non-existent once the regular season began.

Curiously, the offensive line improved as the season wore on.

After allowing 36 sacks in the first nine games, the Steelers allowed just seven in the final seven games. And the running game that averaged just 3.4 yards in the first 11 games averaged 4.1 yards in the final five games.

But the Steelers apparently believed that Bicknell was not the reason for the improvement.

Why the Steelers decided to fire OL coach Jack Bickknell Jr. (http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/c106abb1-b415-48c5-aa93-24cf969cd06f/?source=twitter&repost=120)

I think Mr. Sarrett needs to be promoted posthaste. The second half of the season was the best this OL had looked in YEARS, despite all the injuries. A 75% decrease in sacks and an improvement of almost a full yard-per-carry more on the ground kind of warrants it.

Bluecoat96
01-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Promote Sarrett now! Lol

stillers4me
01-03-2014, 05:17 PM

- - - Updated - - -

stillers4me
01-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Psycho Ward 86
01-03-2014, 05:34 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Damn. Now i dont know what to believe. Regardless of whether Sarrett had a lot to do with the improvement or not, I would like to have Mike Munchak as our O-line coach. Lots of success, and lots of experience as an O-line coach for the Oilers:

"Munchak became the offensive line coach in 1997 and held that position for 14 years (1997-2010). Four of his players have totaled 10 Pro Bowl invitations and his offensive lines have paved the way for five different running backs to total an NFL-high 12 1,000-yard rushing seasons since 1997."

If Sarrett really did have a lot to do with the improvement, i would still hope to see him have strong influence over helping the O-line if he isnt promoted.

fansince'76
01-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Still butthurt that his daddy the Porn King got canned...

stillers4me
01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Firing of Bicknell looks bad, but …

The Steelers’ firing of Jack Bicknell Jr. as offensive line coach today looks awful on its surface, given all the injuries and how they improved. But, as is usually the case, there’s more to it.

I’m told that, contrary to at least two published reports, it’s absolutely untrue that Bicknell had his duties dialed back. He was completely responsible for all game-planning, though there were times Todd Haley would step in. The latter is not uncommon in the business.

Where Bicknell struggled, I’m further told, is in the area of individual instruction. Some players, notably injured center M
Maurkice Pouncey, became heavily involved in teaching plays and technique, both on the field and in the film room...........

Read more @ http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2014/01/03/firing-of-bicknell-looks-bad-but/

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot6m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/Steelersdepot/status/419249725297008640)
This is the bio of Benton who I mentioned earlier after Bicknell let go http://bit.ly/Ko79XJ (http://t.co/EhP0kzvpxl) #steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23steelers&src=hash)

- - - Updated -

John Benton is in his eighth season as the offensive line coach for the Houston Texans. Benton’s offensive lines have provided protection and paved the way for some of the top individual and team offensive performances in the NFL in that time and have helped turn the Texans offense into one of the most productive in the League.

Houston set franchise records for total offense each year from 2008-10 and has registered the top three rushing seasons in franchise history from 2010-12, including franchise rushing records in 2010 and 2011. The Texans lead the NFL with 26 individual 100-yard rushing games since 2010 and have led the League in time of possession each of the last two seasons

SteelerFanInStl
01-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Damn. Now i dont know what to believe. Regardless of whether Sarrett had a lot to do with the improvement or not, I would like to have Mike Munchak as our O-line coach. Lots of success, and lots of experience as an O-line coach for the Oilers:

"Munchak became the offensive line coach in 1997 and held that position for 14 years (1997-2010). Four of his players have totaled 10 Pro Bowl invitations and his offensive lines have paved the way for five different running backs to total an NFL-high 12 1,000-yard rushing seasons since 1997."

If Sarrett really did have a lot to do with the improvement, i would still hope to see him have strong influence over helping the O-line if he isnt promoted.

Munchak's not going back to being an OL coach. The latest word is that he won't be fired by TN but even if he is, he's probably the #1 candidate for the Penn State job.

I don't know what to think about this firing. It seems like this organization just doesn't know how to hire a competent OL coach. I don't have any hope that the next one will be any better.

fansince'76
01-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Where Bicknell struggled, I’m further told, is in the area of individual instruction. Some players, notably injured center Maurkice Pouncey, became heavily involved in teaching plays and technique, both on the field and in the film room

Doesn't sound like any great loss to me. I also tend to believe that he did have his duties curtailed at least somewhat due to the absence of the ZBS after hearing about it all offseason last year following his hiring.

Dwinsgames
01-03-2014, 05:54 PM
no wonder Adams has failed to develop getting instruction from an interior lineman on how to play LT

X-Terminator
01-03-2014, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't mind Benton - he wasn't the reason the Texans' offense struggled. I guess this also means Bicknell can't take credit for the play of Fernando Velasco or Guy Whimper, 2 guys who were not well-regarded when they were signed, if it's true that he wasn't a good instructor.

stillers4me
01-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Count Steeler
01-03-2014, 06:25 PM
no wonder Adams has failed to develop getting instruction from an interior lineman on how to play LT

But how do you explain Beachum's success? Coaching helps, but the guy has to come ready to play. Still wonder if the stabbing did something to his psyche.

Dwinsgames
01-03-2014, 06:31 PM
But how do you explain Beachum's success? Coaching helps, but the guy has to come ready to play. Still wonder if the stabbing did something to his psyche.

Beachum moved to LT after Pouncey was hurt and most likely incapable of teaching ( since the teaching aspect gets more emphasis in training camp )

Steeldude
01-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Following that logic, why should Haley be safe? He's a pretty damn big reason the Steelers sucked in the first month of the season.

Can you list OCs that can make an offense click with an O-line that can't pass block or run block?

Shoes
01-03-2014, 06:52 PM
I'd like to know how you can be an O-line coach and not be able to give individual instruction?

Dwinsgames
01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Can you list OCs that can make an offense click with an O-line that can't pass block or run block?

there is none , or we would have hired him 10 years ago

GoSlash27
01-03-2014, 07:55 PM
I have no idea how to feel about this. I thought Bicknell was responsible for the dramatic improvement in our O- line's play. If he's not, then I'm all for promoting whoever was. We were pulling random centers off the street and making them look like all- pros.

KeiselPower99
01-03-2014, 08:22 PM
I read that Tomlin and the front office wasnt happy with what they deemed a regression in play by Gilbert and Adams. Ill throw a couple names out there for O line coach, Tunch Ilkin and Russ Grimm.

Dwinsgames
01-03-2014, 09:05 PM
I read that Tomlin and the front office wasnt happy with what they deemed a regression in play by Gilbert and Adams. Ill throw a couple names out there for O line coach, Tunch Ilkin and Russ Grimm.

I'll pass on Grimm , great player , average coach IMO , Tunch is a very interesting candidate though a real technician as a player and he understands the game and can relay that info clearly to others and that is HUGE in coaching ....

another guy who I would like considered is Dirt Dawson . he has been in camp a few times and worked well with the players from everything I witnessed and is another guy who takes a hands on approach

fansince'76
01-03-2014, 09:13 PM
I'll pass on Grimm , great player , average coach IMO...

Besides that, I doubt he'd come back anyway after getting passed over in favor of Tomlin for the HC job.

KeiselPower99
01-03-2014, 09:43 PM
I'll pass on Grimm , great player , average coach IMO , Tunch is a very interesting candidate though a real technician as a player and he understands the game and can relay that info clearly to others and that is HUGE in coaching ....

another guy who I would like considered is Dirt Dawson . he has been in camp a few times and worked well with the players from everything I witnessed and is another guy who takes a hands on approach
Love the fact you mentioned Dirt Dawson.

Psycho Ward 86
01-03-2014, 09:52 PM

having Tunch would be a dream. I read somewhere that Beachum has already been getting advice on how to play LT from him.

Chidi29
01-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Always wanted us to pluck Joe Pendry from Alabama.

tube517
01-04-2014, 06:39 AM
I doubt Grimm would even come back here. I'd like Tunch or Munchak but i doubt Munchak would come as a position coach. Maybe hire both and call them Tunch and Munch :chuckle:

Seven
01-04-2014, 06:52 AM
On the face of it, I would be disagreeing with this firing considering the significant improvement by the OL down the stretch. However, if it was due to another assistant and Bicknell was essentially neutered, then I have no problem with it and I say promote the assistant.

I think this is a likely scenario. It would make sense, considering they just gave up on the zone scheme sometime during the season. What a disaster.

plenewken
01-04-2014, 07:52 AM

Starting all over again in the never ending cycle to fix the offensive line. By the time this all gets sorted out, there won't be a QB to protect...

Very good point, sad but true.

Spike
01-04-2014, 07:54 AM
4th O-line coach in 7 years?

Is that the sacrificial lamb position?

zulater
01-04-2014, 09:00 AM
I can't get worked up one way or the other about this. :noidea: Let me know when something important happens. :coffee:

stillers4me
01-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Hello, John Benton?

Craic
01-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Exactly. And the best thing about that would be the fact that there'd be a smooth transition since it seems he was already moving them in a different direction.

- - - Updated - - -

No way, no how, no thank you. He's the guy that left us with this mess . . . an aging line and backups that had no chance to make it in the NFL. Tunch in interesting, but I'd think that'd be cutting off his nose to spite his face. If it didn't work out, not only would he lose that job, but he'd also lose announcing, because nobody would want to listen to a failed coach announcing a game for a team he failed in coaching.

GBMelBlount
01-04-2014, 09:40 AM
When I first heard Bicknell was hired I did some quick reading on him and he sounded like an old school, hard nose, by the book type of coach.

While this is the type of coach I personally preferred to have his coaching style may not blend well with the current organization.

For example, instead of watching Gilbert or Adams stand around slack jawed while defenders blow by them he might say "WTF is wrong with you two fat, lazy pieces of shit? Get off your fat asses and work harder!!!".

While this type of criticism would make me work harder, some people, especially in todays PC coddled world might take offense....and this is how problems start.

I just am not sure an apparent "straight shooter" like Bicknell was a fit.

Just my two cents.

Shoes
01-04-2014, 09:44 AM
When I first heard Bicknell was hired I did some quick reading on him and he sounded like and old school, hard nosed, by the book type of coach.

While he sounds like the type of coach I would have personally loved to have his old school / direct style of coaching may lack the tact and diplomacy that may be necessary to fit in with the current organization.

I guess the current organization didn't do their homework very well.

Psycho Ward 86
01-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Hello, John Benton?

If this is true:

1) Tunch
2) Mike Munchak (?)
3) John Benton
4) That chargers O-line coach Kovacevic mentioned
5) Sarrett

looks like we got some options

GBMelBlount
01-04-2014, 10:34 AM
I guess the current organization didn't do their homework very well.

Straight shooters...you either love'em or hate'em.

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/15000/Mike-Ditka-Preparation-H--15193.jpg

stillers4me
01-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Psycho Ward 86
01-04-2014, 12:30 PM

Sounds like a good option too. That panthers o-line has been good for a while now

Shoes
01-04-2014, 12:40 PM

Well at least he has 20 years experience as an NFL player. Hopefully he's able to give individual instruction also!

This makes me wonder tho.

Brown was hired as offensive line coach for the San Francisco 49ers for the 2010 season. On January 25, 2011, he was announced as the assistant line coach for the Carolina Panthers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Panthers).

NCSteeler
01-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Well at least he has 20 years experience as an NFL player. Hopefully he's able to give individual instruction also!

Brown was hired as offensive line coach for the San Francisco 49ers for the 2010 season. On January 25, 2011, he was announced as the assistant line coach for the Carolina Panthers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Panthers).

His officail Bio lists him as an assistant Oline with 49ers, but 2011 was the year 49ers cleaned house for the hiring of Harbitch

stillers4me
01-04-2014, 01:57 PM

zulater
01-04-2014, 02:14 PM

If he doesn't end up in Happy Valley he'll either take the year off ( paid courtesy of the Titans) or he'll take a coordinators job. No way will he settle for being a position coach at this point.

Psycho Ward 86
01-04-2014, 03:23 PM

Going from an assistant line coach to The line coach is a promotion right? Maybe that will sweeten things up for him :noidea:

SteelerFanInStl
01-04-2014, 04:05 PM
If he doesn't end up in Happy Valley he'll either take the year off ( paid courtesy of the Titans) or he'll take a coordinators job. No way will he settle for being a position coach at this point.

That's pretty much my feeling as well. I was surprised that they fired him right after saying that they weren't going to.

oneforthetoe
01-04-2014, 05:02 PM
That's pretty much my feeling as well. I was surprised that they fired him right after saying that they weren't going to.

The proverbial owners vote of confidence. Usually the kiss of death.

steelreserve
01-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Good! Fuck that guy.

The line may have improved somewhat at the end of the season, but I'd largely credit that to Beachum turning out to be an acceptable LT after getting used to it. That doesn't even begin to make up for the total lack of player development over the past few years. Four #1 and #2 draft picks over the past three seasons, and only one of them (Pouncey) was playing up to his potential. For those who are always saying "we need to do something to fix the OL," we already did. We ought to have an awesome offensive line, and the fact that we didn't pointed more toward a coaching problem than anything else. Now if only we can also take a similar step with the defensive line ...

SteelMayhem72
01-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Injuries were our problem...how bout firing the strength and conditioning coach????

- - - Updated - - -

I thought our line played well latter half of the season considering all the injuries...I totally disagree with this decision!

- - - Updated - - -

I live near nashville and I refuse to accept any tn coaches!!!

katmandu
01-04-2014, 11:59 PM
When I first heard Bicknell was hired I did some quick reading on him and he sounded like an old school, hard nose, by the book type of coach.

While this is the type of coach I personally preferred to have his coaching style may not blend well with the current organization.

For example, instead of watching Gilbert or Adams stand around slack jawed while defenders blow by them he might say "WTF is wrong with you two fat, lazy pieces of shit? Get off your fat asses and work harder!!!".

While this type of criticism would make me work harder, some people, especially in todays PC coddled world might take offense....and this is how problems start.

I just am not sure an apparent "straight shooter" like Bicknell was a fit.

Just my two cents.x2!

stillers4me
01-05-2014, 09:06 AM

tjk100
01-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Mike Munchak, 31 years with the Tennessee Titans, and 3 years as head coach fired. Is a Steelers offensive line coaching position a possibility? Mike seems overqualified to me.

Born: Scranton, PA.

College ball: Penn State

Drafted 1982, Houston Oilers; 8th pick overall. Left guard.

Awards: All Pro 10 years of his 12 year career.

Honors: Pro Football Hall of Fame elected 2001.

The only question is: Would he have an interest in joining the Steelers?

Hindes204
01-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Ray Brown is intriguing, great player, and line coach for a team that has consistently had a stout running game

Lambert_Loonie
01-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Injuries were our problem...how bout firing the strength and conditioning coach???

With the injury issues this team's had the past few years, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

Dwinsgames
01-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Injuries were our problem...how bout firing the strength and conditioning coach????

-

problem is many of the injuries had nothing to do with strength or conditioning .... when a 300 pound guard dives into your knee nothing short of a concrete barrier is going to keep your knee safe

Psycho Ward 86
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
problem is many of the injuries had nothing to do with strength or conditioning .... when a 300 pound guard dives into your knee nothing short of a concrete barrier is going to keep your knee safe

yup. or marcus gilbert falling into every fucking person around him

SteelMayhem72
01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
I was thinking Munchak would be a hell of a pickup as well if we could get him!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Steelman
01-06-2014, 09:07 AM

I looked up our strength and conditioning coach and apparently he's an award winning conditioning guy, one of the best in the business.

So maybe it's the players and plain bad luck.

XxKnightxX
01-06-2014, 12:07 PM
I think Munchak is too much of a hot ticket for HC to go back to positional coaching. Let's not forget that his pal Bruce Matthews , the HoF lineman is also available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Hindes204
01-06-2014, 07:32 PM
I looked up our strength and conditioning coach and apparently he's an award winning conditioning guy, one of the best in the business.

So maybe it's the players and plain bad luck.

I hear people all the time blame the strength coach, I just think it's a matter of terrible luck. I do find it ironic that our strength and conditioning coach played football in college, but his career was ended by knee injuries

one side only
01-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Russ Grimm
Tunch Ilkin (Craig Wolfley can take his spot in the radio broadcast booth, while Brett Keisel can become the sideline reporter.)

Steelman
01-10-2014, 08:54 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311529/article/mike-munchak-reportedly-will-interview-with-texans

Munchak is interviewing with the Texans for OL coach...we need to jump on this!

Mojouw
01-17-2014, 11:07 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8365/mike-munchak

I hope they don't let him leave without a contract! I'm not sure he can fix stupid and slow, but if anyone can squeeze some performance out of Adams and Gilbert, it is likely to be Munchak.

Dwinsgames
01-17-2014, 11:15 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8365/mike-munchak

I hope they don't let him leave without a contract! I'm not sure he can fix stupid and slow, but if anyone can squeeze some performance out of Adams and Gilbert, it is likely to be Munchak.

I second the motion .... HIRE THE MAN ALREADY !!

stillers4me
01-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Shoes
01-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Sweet, I hope this happens!

Mojouw
01-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Hopefully the conversation is something like this:

Steelers: So, Mike, how much money will you need to take this job?

Munchak: Eleventy Million and an out clause so I can go be a head-coach as soon as one gets offered.

Steelers: The dump truck full of money is backing up to your house as we speak. You can have any contract you want. Just figure out how we can stop drafting shitty tackles.

stillers4me
01-17-2014, 02:00 PM
BOOM! It's all over twitter...

Spike
01-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Steelers interviewing Mike Munchak for offensive line coach opening today on the South Side

why the hell isn't he already hired?

will they offer him OC duty instead?

Bluecoat96
01-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Hire the man NOW.

This is pretty exciting. If we can snag him, it would be one hell of a "free agent acquisition."

Dwinsgames
01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
why the hell isn't he already hired?

THIS is as good of question as any from where I sit ....

its a no brainer , find out what exactly it takes to make him sign on the dotted line , and you place it in front of him with a nice new gold engraved pen with the Steeler logo encrusted in diamonds in which you tell him is his to keep once he signs the deal

X-Terminator
01-17-2014, 03:46 PM
BOOM! It's all over twitter...

You hear that sound? That's the sound of the rest of the division developing "puckered asshole syndrome." Ravens fans have the most severe case.

I doubt he gets hired, though, and ends up in Houston. Call me a pessimist. The Steelers won't offer him the money he'd want.

Psycho Ward 86
01-17-2014, 04:20 PM
with the browns, bengals, and ravens coaches dropping like flies, i certainly hope we jump on this. This will be a great snag for us if we can manage it

st33lersguy
01-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Don't let him leave Pittsburgh.

Dwinsgames
01-17-2014, 04:31 PM
You hear that sound? That's the sound of the rest of the division developing "puckered asshole syndrome." Ravens fans have the most severe case.

I doubt he gets hired, though, and ends up in Houston. Call me a pessimist. The Steelers won't offer him the money he'd want.

DA'Rooneys are cheap ...... ( sarcasm alert )

steelreserve
01-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Seriously, give this guy some money and don't let him leave town! If he can get our young linemen actually playing up to their potential, it could be like getting three or four first-round draft picks at once!

SteelerFanInStl
01-17-2014, 05:51 PM
They better damn well hire him! I'm tired of all of the worthless OL coaches that we've gone through lately.

Devilsdancefloor
01-17-2014, 06:35 PM
wow come on AR2 this would be beyond amazing signing

Hindes204
01-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Outside zone blocking scheme with Leveon Bells attributes and Munchak at the helm.......YES PLEASE

Hawkman
01-17-2014, 08:14 PM
They better damn well hire him! I'm tired of all of the worthless OL coaches that we've gone through lately.

While I totally agree that Bicknell was a waste of space, I think Kugler did some amazing things with very little, and his patch jobs were impressive. He was a true believer in the "next man up" theory.

Chidi29
01-17-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm just guessing from reports but Kugler was a better teacher and probably more respected than Bicknell. Which isn't really a slight against Bicknell. Just know Kugler was super old school and a pretty crazy dude, as most OL coaches have to be. That energy teetering on craziness is contagious and gets the most out of your men. Especially when they're a bunch of old school, rag tag group of dudes like the lines we've trotted out the last few seasons. You think Legursky liked him? You bet. Two guys that would run through walls. Gets the most out of him, even when a guy like Legursky was a barely backup type of talent.

Spike
01-18-2014, 10:42 AM
They better damn well hire him!

did he leave town yet?

I read where Tomlin and Haley both interviewed him - it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to scare him off to keep a potential rival for their jobs off their bench

yeah - I'm thinking dark thoughts

stillers4me
01-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Former Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak came and went without accepting or possibly even being offered the position of offensive line coach with the Steelers.

But the fact he met Friday with coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Todd Haley at the team’s South Side facility indicates Munchak is interested in the position.

“He wouldn’t have come if he wasn’t,” said a team source.

Munchak has had several interviews since being fired last week after three seasons as head coach in Tennessee, including talking to the Cleveland Browns about becoming their head coach. He also interviewed with the Houston Texans about becoming their offensive line coach...........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/17/Ex-Titans-coach-Munchak-to-interview-for-Steelers/stories/201401170138#ixzz2qlmUZZim

fansince'76
01-18-2014, 10:52 AM
WTF was Haley in the interview for?

zulater
01-18-2014, 12:01 PM

Why wouldn't he be? The offensive line, if you include tight end's is half your offensive personnel. So yeah, I want my offensive coordinator and o-line coach on the same page.

Chidi29
01-18-2014, 12:01 PM

It's not that surprising to me. See how Munchak fits with Haley's idea of where the offense is at. No one in that building knows more about the offensive line right now than Haley.

fansince'76
01-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Why wouldn't he be? The offensive line, if you include tight end's is half your offensive personnel. So yeah, I want my offensive coordinator and o-line coach on the same page.

It's not that surprising to me. See how Munchak fits with Haley's idea of where the offense is at. No one in that building knows more about the offensive line right now than Haley.

Yeah, I was having a "duh" moment when I posted that. :doh:

zulater
01-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I was having a "duh" moment when I posted that. :doh:

My guess, you've been clicking on the AK link and staring at Tannehill's wife too much. :chuckle:

Hindes204
01-18-2014, 12:41 PM
My guess, you've been clicking on the AK link and staring at Tannehill's wife too much. :chuckle:

Hahahahaha....that's what I've been doing

fansince'76
01-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Hahahahaha....that's what I've been doing

Guilty as charged. :lust: :chuckle:

salamander
01-18-2014, 12:54 PM
If he doesn't end up in Pittsburgh, I'll be upset. If he ends up in our division with Baltimore, Cleveland or Cincy...I'll be furious.

Come on, Steelers.....

fansince'76
01-18-2014, 01:10 PM
If he doesn't end up in Pittsburgh, I'll be upset. If he ends up in our division with Baltimore, Cleveland or Cincy...I'll be furious.

Come on, Steelers.....

I dunno, I kind of hope they go with Sarrett. If Munchak comes in and the line continues the momentum of the second half of this past season and does well next year, chances are some sad sack team is going to poach him for their HC job and we'll be doing this all over again next offseason. After all, this would be a big step down for him, both in salary and prestige. I'm also beginning to get a little tired of the carousel at the OL coach position.

vader29
01-18-2014, 03:40 PM
This was probably how the meeting went with Haley when Munchak didn't agree with the offensive plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUs82QmBa-M

:chuckle:

Spike
01-19-2014, 08:29 AM
SOB

Former Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak came and went without accepting or possibly even being offered the position of offensive line coach with the Steelers.

stillers4me
01-19-2014, 08:47 AM
SOB

He's had several interviews with other teams. The Steelers have interviewed others as well. They obviously haven't made an offer to any one candidate yet or maybe Munchak is talking it over with his family first. All we can do is speculate.

Spike
01-19-2014, 09:34 AM
If I was Munchak I'd look for a HC or OC job first instead of a position coach, they pay more

and of course, there's still the shitstains looking for a HC

Dwinsgames
01-19-2014, 09:42 AM
this has been my first choice from the onset , ( back before he was fired by the Titans I posted he is the man ) now he is available ...

I understand why he did not sign , as he is probably still waiting for a higher pos to fall into place .... but at which time no other offer comes I hope the Steelers made it clear to him he is their man and have some verbal agreement with him that if by said date ( not in the to distant future ) other said offer does not present itself they finalize a deal ....

Feb 1 should be a workable date and if he does not get a better job ( in terms of coaching pos level ) and ends up being an O-Line coach it dam well better be in Pittsburgh or I am going to be pissed

Texasteel
01-19-2014, 01:00 PM
I am holding onto the hope of Munchak. After all I hear he has several family members living in Pittsburgh.:D

Butch
01-19-2014, 03:57 PM
If I was Munchak I'd look for a HC or OC job first instead of a position coach, they pay more

and of course, there's still the shitstains looking for a HC

1. Take the money the Browns offer
2. Tank the season and get fired
3. While still being payed by the Browns come be an offensive line coach for the Steelers!!!

tube517
01-19-2014, 04:23 PM
I am holding onto the hope of Munchak. After all I hear he has several family members living in Pittsburgh.:D

:lol:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Spike
01-19-2014, 07:03 PM
1. Take the money the Browns offer
2. Tank the season and get fired

I heard something about that

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcszgM9CIAALktR.png

Psycho Ward 86
01-19-2014, 10:03 PM
I dunno, I kind of hope they go with Sarrett. If Munchak comes in and the line continues the momentum of the second half of this past season and does well next year, chances are some sad sack team is going to poach him for their HC job and we'll be doing this all over again next offseason. After all, this would be a big step down for him, both in salary and prestige. I'm also beginning to get a little tired of the carousel at the OL coach position.

If Munchak gets poached, we'll just promote Sarrett. I guess that adds to the O-line carousel though. Munchak would probably end up teaching our O-linemen a lot of things no other o-line coach would though, even if he had a short tenure here

steelreserve
01-19-2014, 11:34 PM

I'd be happy to have someone who for sure knows what the hell he's doing, and have some success making the O-Line work as a unit, even if it was only for a year. It's better than hiring people who turn out NOT to know what they're doing and then firing them after a year.

It really could be that a guy like Munchak could come in and clean up a lot of the problems that our young guys are having close to immediately. He could likely turn around the careers of guys like Adams and Gilbert, and help guys like DeCastro and Beachum go from pretty-good to outstanding. It's been a big gripe of mine that we have all these linemen with a ton of potential and 2 or 3 years later, most of them are still sitting around having a lot of potential but making stupid rookie mistakes. If those guys really do have what it takes, even in a year, a coach who really knows his stuff could help unlock a LOT of that potential, and then think how great of shape we'd be in. I'd take that over being mediocre but having continuity.

86WARD
01-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Not sounding good...

Spike
01-21-2014, 10:42 AM
last I heard

Any word on the offensive line coach?

Ray Fittipaldo: Gerry Dulac reported Friday that Mike Munchak interviewed for the job. He is the second known candidate to interview. Tomlin also interviewed Shaun Sarrett, who was the assistant line coach last season. The Senior Bowl is this week and that's like a job convention for unemployed coaches, so Tomlin might interview another candidate down there. But I would think Munchak would be his choice if he wants the job. Munchak interviewed with the Browns, so he might be waiting on their situation before making a decision.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/20/Ray-Fittpaldo-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-1-20-14/stories/201401200127#ixzz2r3HLJk59

stillers4me
01-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Spike
01-22-2014, 06:19 PM
we need this guy

SteelerFanInStl
01-22-2014, 06:23 PM
we need this guy

That should be an easy decision for Munchak. The fact that he's debating makes me wonder.

Shoes
01-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Just get him here!

Dwinsgames
01-22-2014, 06:34 PM
That should be an easy decision for Munchak. The fact that he's debating makes me wonder.

may not be as easy as one might think , sure on the surface if Line coach was all you ever wanted to be but the Texans have proven worth 0-line wise , have been a good unit so not much to do and still look good ,

the texans also have a new HC which may or may not work out , getting a foot in the building and making some friends in house ( front office ) could bode well for a chance to take over that team in a couple years if the current regime fails ....

IMO if looked at in that manner the Texans may be his best option , however I want him HERE

tube517
01-22-2014, 06:50 PM
may not be as easy as one might think , sure on the surface if Line coach was all you ever wanted to be but the Texans have proven worth 0-line wise , have been a good unit so not much to do and still look good ,

the texans also have a new HC which may or may not work out , getting a foot in the building and making some friends in house ( front office ) could bode well for a chance to take over that team in a couple years if the current regime fails ....

IMO if looked at in that manner the Texans may be his best option , however I want him HERE

I agree with this line of thinking. Somehow, as much as we all want him, I don't see him coming to Pittsburgh at the end of the day. But then again, if you succeed in Pittsburgh, you'll probably get a shot as a HC somewhere else.

Bluecoat96
01-22-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm seeing A LOT of reports on Twitter (take it for what it's worth) that Mike Munchak is coming to Pittsburgh to be the new O-line coach!!! Cross your fingers and hope for the best!

zulater
01-22-2014, 07:34 PM
I'm seeing A LOT of reports on Twitter (take it for what it's worth) that Mike Munchak is coming to Pittsburgh to be the new O-line coach!!! Cross your fingers and hope for the best!
Yeah me too, pretty solid sources too. David Todd of 970 ESPN is reporting it now.

- - - Updated - - -

stillers4me
01-22-2014, 07:37 PM

tube517

:yay3: My reverse psychology worked! :chuckle:

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/report-texans-lose-out-munchak

KeiselPower99
Best hire possible!!!! Big props to Tomlin and the organization for realizing where we needed better coaching and making it happen!!!!

stillers4me
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM

fansince'76
01-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Hope Sarrett sticks around, because I have a feeling this is going to be a one-year pit stop for Munchak.

Count Steeler
01-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Can't wait to see if he can get anything more out of Gilbert and Adams. Hope he can.

st33lersguy
01-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Awesome!

Bluecoat96
01-22-2014, 07:51 PM

Steelerette
01-22-2014, 07:54 PM
This says a lot about the Browns Organization if he signed on for a positional gig without talking to them.

I'm kind of surprised Munchak didn't land at least an Offensive Coordinator job. It's a sweet hire. Even if this is only a season-long pit stop I'm excited about the direction change and culture he can implement here with the O-line.

It was mentioned that maybe there was the chance for Turnover with the Texans. Maybe so. But maybe here too. If the coming season is good enough, Haley might get hired away from us. If it's bad enough, Haley might get promoted! I wonder what kind of situation was in Munchak's mind. I also wonder how much more the Steelers offered him than the Texans did.

zulater
01-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Did Tomlin just make the mistake of hiring his successor?

Just kidding, someone had to say it! :heh:

Shoes
01-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Great news! Now will he have some say in the draft? I sure hope so.

stillers4me
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
If Ed says it....it's official.

SteelerFanInStl
01-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Woo Hoo!!!! I never thought that it would happen but I'm sure as Hell glad that it did! Awesome news!

Dwinsgames
01-22-2014, 08:08 PM
wooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooo ooooooooo

Count Steeler
01-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Happy Days are here again!!!

Hindes204
01-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Holy shit!!!!!!!!

X-Terminator
01-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Wow. Great job Mike Tomlin and the entire Steelers' org for getting this one done, and not hiring another curtain jerker. Might end up being their best position coach hire since bringing back Carnell Lake as DB coach. Even if it's only for one season, it's still the best possible decision they could have made.

In related news, the rest of the division has indeed come down with a severe case of puckered asshole syndrome.

Shoes
01-22-2014, 08:23 PM
He was elected in the HOF the same year as Swann.

86WARD
01-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Awesome...

Shoes
01-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Wow. Great job Mike Tomlin and the entire Steelers' org for getting this one done, and not hiring another curtain jerker. Might end up being their best position coach hire since bringing back Carnell Lake as DB coach. Even if it's only for one season, it's still the best possible decision they could have made.

In related news, the rest of the division has indeed come down with a severe case of puckered asshole syndrome.
Agreed on the first…………………..
:hatsoff:

:chuckle: on the second.

salamander
01-22-2014, 08:35 PM
Wow! Never expected that to actually happen.

Psycho Ward 86
01-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Prepare for the beginning of an offensive reckoning. With this type of hire, im officially VEHEMENTLY against drafting an O-lineman in the early and middle rounds. Munchak is going to bring out the best out of our linemen. I think he'll get marcus gilbert and mike adams to finally pan out. If munchak cant do it, no one else can

Shoes
01-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Prepare for the beginning of an offensive reckoning. With this type of hire, im officially VEHEMENTLY against drafting an O-lineman in the early and middle rounds. Munchak is going to bring out the best out of our linemen. I think he'll get marcus gilbert and mike adams to finally pan out. If munchak cant do it, no one else can

I'm wondering if he'll have a voice in the draft?

Dwinsgames
01-22-2014, 08:56 PM
In other News : Today Mike Adams just got a whole lot better

I expect HUGE improvement from this line and now am not so sure we need any high picks towards the O-Line considering we now have someone to teach them how to overcome their shortcomings

- - - Updated - - -

sure he will . Pos coaches always have some imput if the draft swings to their realm of specialty

blackngldblood
01-22-2014, 09:00 PM
Two hall of famers on the coaching staff?!?!? Color me excited as hell over this hire! I'm gonna hibernate until training camp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devilsdancefloor
01-22-2014, 09:02 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2nurq5l.gif

woot my wife looked at me like i was on crack i did my little dance she said alright carlton whats going on , so excited i told her she just rolled her eyes

blackngldblood
01-22-2014, 09:27 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2nurq5l.gif

woot my wife looked at me like i was on crack i did my little dance she said alright carlton whats going on , so excited i told her she just rolled her eyes

Hahaha! I was in a movie with my wife when I felt my phone vibrate on my lap. I took a peak, and damn near let out a "F*** Yeah!" Right there in the theater. I missed the end of the movie, unfortunately. I couldn't focus after that news!

Shoes
01-22-2014, 09:40 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/22/Steelers-hire-Munchak-to-coach-offensive-line/stories/201401220137

While many former head coaches return to coordinators' jobs, Munchak never has been an offensive coordinator, and he told the team he was comfortable returning to being a position coach.

(http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5466193-74/munchak-coach-steelers#axzz2rBpfVdyO)http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5466193-74/munchak-coach-steelers#ixzz2rBqjhJDl

Texasteel
01-22-2014, 09:55 PM

I'm wondering if a strong voice in this draft was part of the deal before he signed.

Shoes
01-22-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm wondering if a strong voice in this draft was part of the deal before he signed.

I was thinking that myself TX.

GBMelBlount
01-22-2014, 09:59 PM
:yay3: My reverse psychology worked! :chuckle:

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/report-texans-lose-out-munchak

:rofl2:

Hardest I've laughed since the last time I laughed this hard!

:whoo:

Spike
01-22-2014, 10:14 PM
he'd rather be an OL coach for the Steelers instead of the Browns HC

he must know something

Texasteel
01-22-2014, 10:20 PM
he'd rather be an OL coach for the Steelers instead of the Browns HC

he must know something

Would you like to start your first HC job two feet outside of a black hole?

Spike
01-22-2014, 10:31 PM
that was for all those who think he's coming in to replace Tomlin

blackngldblood
01-22-2014, 10:52 PM
that was for all those who think he's coming in to replace Tomlin

It's a conspiracy by the Rooneys I tells ya! They made him hire his replacement! Lololololololol

blackngldblood
01-22-2014, 10:54 PM

They secretly interview Shiano today, and then didn't give him the job. Or he got one look t that shitty organization and said "no fucking thanks, man. I'm outta here!"

st33lersguy
01-22-2014, 10:57 PM
In other News : Today Mike Adams just got a whole lot better

I expect HUGE improvement from this line and now am not so sure we need any high picks towards the O-Line considering we now have someone to teach them how to overcome their shortcomings

Agreed, I am becoming less and less enamored with the idea of drafting O-line in the first round

Shoes
01-22-2014, 11:10 PM
This hire does throw an interesting twist on the draft. I'm sure Munch will know in short order what he needs. I imagine the O-line is pretty excited about this hire also.

blackngldblood
01-22-2014, 11:18 PM
This hire does throw an interesting twist on the draft. I'm sure Munch will know in short order what he needs. I imagine the O-line is pretty excited about this hire also.

As good as Beachum was under Bicknell, I can't wait to see him with Munchack on his side!

Steelerette
01-23-2014, 12:05 AM
I'm sure Munchak will have plenty of weight in draft considerations when considering relevant positions, and I'm fine with him having that. But by no means should we be spending a draft pick on OL, especially a high draft pick.

Tight End is another story, we may well draft one and if we do he'll get the kind of TE that he wants. Mid to late round RB isn't out of the question and I'm sure a few UDFA RB too. He'll have a little bit of say in RB style considerations. But our tone is pretty well set with Bell, so whether we sign guys or draft them we're really looking for a Bell Complement, and a Bell Change of Pace, or maybe a snowplow type for short yardage and bad weather. Not a ton of wiggle room I don't think.

Maybe Munchak will talk with Haley and they'll decide they want to use a fullback! Not a halfback pretender like Paulson but a real live fullback! Now that would make me smile.

Steelman
01-23-2014, 08:48 AM
AWESOME hire! :thumbsup:

Steeldude
01-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Third time is a charm?

steelreserve
01-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Oh hell yeah. If he can get Adams, Gilbert and/or Beachum on track, we may have just solved our LT problem AND it'd be like getting an extra first-round draft pick or two. This just makes my day.

Butch
01-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Great news!!!

I loved it when my Titans buddy was the one who texted me "Your O-line just got better".

I too am wondering if we get a fullback now or not. Another question is if we do who would be good to fill that position?

steelreserve
01-23-2014, 01:26 PM
I too am wondering if we get a fullback now or not. Another question is if we do who would be good to fill that position?

Dude .. John Kuhn is a free agent.

But seriously, you can usually pick up a decent FB prospect in the 5th round or so. Plenty of guys on the list this year:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014FB.php

Mojouw
01-23-2014, 04:08 PM
So if the Steelers draft an o-lineman at all in the first 3 rounds that means Munchak watched the film from the last 2 years or so and vomited into a bucket.

If they don't then it means he watched the film, sat in stunned, horrified silence for about 3 hours and then decided he can fix it.

Hawkman
01-23-2014, 04:08 PM

Already started his head coaching with the Titans.

Shoes
01-23-2014, 07:28 PM

Tex knows that…….. Your brain farts will increase after 55, Hawk. We'll be waiting for you to join the club. :chuckle:

blackngldblood
01-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Tex knows that…….. Your brain farts will increase after 55, Hawk. We'll be waiting for you to join the club. :chuckle:

Is it normal for them to increase at 31, or should I have that looked into?

MULLDOG24
01-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Finally we have someone to fix our o-line this is truly a great day!!!!!!!
I share the opinion of some in that getting Beachum,Adams,and Gilbert to improve greatly would be like drafting a good LT prospect in this year's draft

GBMelBlount
01-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Finally we have someone to fix our o-line this is truly a great day!!!!!!!

I share the opinion of some in that getting Beachum,Adams,and Gilbert to improve greatly would be like drafting a good LT prospect in this year's draft

I hope so...

Texasteel
01-23-2014, 10:08 PM

It was just tongue in cheek bud. I have to go now. Its creamed spinach night.

Hawkman
01-24-2014, 08:56 AM

Won't be long now!!

- - - Updated - - -

But,but......you said it so matter-of-factly.:heh:

salamander
01-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Is it normal for them to increase at 31, or should I have that looked into?

31? Hell I'm 24 and my brain farts on a regular basis. :lol:

steelreserve
01-24-2014, 09:51 AM

Yeah, when I get that it's more like diarrhea, so you got nothing to worry about.

Dwinsgames
01-24-2014, 10:00 AM

I can almost remember being those ages ....

some things where way way way better back then .... ok , well most things

Steelerette
01-24-2014, 10:14 AM
I can almost remember being those ages ....

some things where way way way better back then .... ok , well most things
That's how it goes. The more distinguished you get, the less you can distinguish.

I wonder how much input Munchak will have in the potential decision on whether to unload Pouncey. Remember that he was the one who cut Velasco from the Titans in the first place! But why... I guess because Amano was going to be healthy and they drafted a guy to be "the future"... but who knows what Munchak is thinking about that.

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2014, 12:44 PM
That's how it goes. The more distinguished you get, the less you can distinguish.

I wonder how much input Munchak will have in the potential decision on whether to unload Pouncey. Remember that he was the one who cut Velasco from the Titans in the first place! But why... I guess because Amano was going to be healthy and they drafted a guy to be "the future"... but who knows what Munchak is thinking about that.

im all for trading him. if the cap seemingly doesnt allow us to keep him anyways, which seems likely. i dont see why we cant get a 2nd rounder for a kid who has been a 3x all-pro in his first 4 seasons. Hell, we should be able to get a 2nd with a late rounder.

We can trade pouncey for picks for this year's draft correct? Because that would be HUGE

Mojouw
01-24-2014, 02:02 PM
I am not convinced that the cap will prevent the Steelers from keeping Pouncey. It all depends on whether or not (said it somewhere else previously) whether they take a scalpel or a chainsaw to the roster. Others who are more versed in the cap rules and #'s then I have laid out plans that appear reasonable that have the Steelers able to keep Pouncey, Worilds, Cortez Allen, and Woodley. All that is required is extending Miller, Polamalu, Ben while at the same time cutting Clark, Taylor, Kiesel, and Foote.

Looking at those 3 groups of names, I do all of it except I try and re-work Taylor's cap # and keep him.

I strongly believe that Pouncey has more value to the Steelers than he does on the trade market and that Velasco is not as good as he is viewed around these parts. Read the Steelers Depot write-up on the guards and centers. Makes me feel way less excited about Foster, Velasco, and Wallace.

Steelerette
01-24-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm all for keeping Pouncey but it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and hear Munchak's thoughts about the situation.

steelreserve
01-24-2014, 04:05 PM
I am not convinced that the cap will prevent the Steelers from keeping Pouncey. It all depends on whether or not (said it somewhere else previously) whether they take a scalpel or a chainsaw to the roster. Others who are more versed in the cap rules and #'s then I have laid out plans that appear reasonable that have the Steelers able to keep Pouncey, Worilds, Cortez Allen, and Woodley. All that is required is extending Miller, Polamalu, Ben while at the same time cutting Clark, Taylor, Kiesel, and Foote.

Looking at those 3 groups of names, I do all of it except I try and re-work Taylor's cap # and keep him.

I strongly believe that Pouncey has more value to the Steelers than he does on the trade market and that Velasco is not as good as he is viewed around these parts. Read the Steelers Depot write-up on the guards and centers. Makes me feel way less excited about Foster, Velasco, and Wallace.

Looking at that proposal, it actually makes a heck of a lot of sense, except for keeping Woodley. Let him go somewhere else and take a whole season to play 6 games' worth of football.

I don't know how you could not be excited about Wallace, though. His talent for jabbing people in the balls is by itself worth keeping him on the 53-man roster. You wouldn't want him going to the Ravens and sticking his arm up OUR guys' asses twice a year, would you?

Mojouw
01-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Looking at that proposal, it actually makes a heck of a lot of sense, except for keeping Woodley. Let him go somewhere else and take a whole season to play 6 games' worth of football.

I don't know how you could not be excited about Wallace, though. His talent for jabbing people in the balls is by itself worth keeping him on the 53-man roster. You wouldn't want him going to the Ravens and sticking his arm up OUR guys' asses twice a year, would you?

I'm all for keeping Wallace on the roster, if only to be used as a source of personal foul penalties against selected opponents. Kind of like an enforcer in hockey!

I would love to hear this during the TV broadcast:

"Well, Bob, it looks like the Steelers have had it with the late-hits on their quarterback today. After that last hit by Suggs, Cody Wallace checks into the game."

"You're, right Jim. Wallace leads the Steelers in penalties this year. He has amassed 67 personal foul penalties, 43 unnecessary roughness penalties, and over 18 million in fines from the commissioner's office. That's all in only 12 snaps. You just know that someone's about to get "wallaced"."

"So true. In fact I think getting "wallaced" may be illegal in this state..."

Dwinsgames
01-24-2014, 06:26 PM

the disadvantage of cutting him is to great , if done next year it actually has some benefit .....

I get what you are saying , I get you are tired of him under performing and being a injury in waiting , but it is hard to dismiss him when healthy ( granted it has not been that often as of late ) .... but with OUR luck we let him go and he is as healthy as he has been in his career for the next 5 years and sets the world on fire and there we are paying him while he is doing it for someone else

86WARD
01-24-2014, 07:06 PM
THe Munchak hiring gives the Steelers more opportunities for that first round pick too...i like that a lot!!

Dwinsgames
01-24-2014, 07:50 PM
blame the FO for the huge hit Woodleys contract presents ... many are seemingly blaming the player , the player did not restructure his deal all by himself and he certainly did not ask for it to be restructured once let alone TWICE ...

If they never approached Woodley for a restructure his cap hit would not be all that bad and consequently not many would be pissed off about that elephant in the room when looking at cap hits

steelreserve
01-24-2014, 10:28 PM
blame the FO for the huge hit Woodleys contract presents ... many are seemingly blaming the player , the player did not restructure his deal all by himself and he certainly did not ask for it to be restructured once let alone TWICE ...

If they never approached Woodley for a restructure his cap hit would not be all that bad and consequently not many would be pissed off about that elephant in the room when looking at cap hits

I do blame the FO for it ... but he also has not been a very good player by any standard in the meantime. Apart from getting hurt, even when he's active, he disappears for games at a time ... overall I do not tend to see him influencing the play that often, more likely collecting a handful of opportunistic tackles and sacks in the least critical situations, when things happen to go his way. He was probably the least disruptive LB on the team, with the exception of whoever was the second ILB at the time. I think what was really going on was that early in his career, he benefited a hell of a lot from having Harrison on the other side, Polamalu still playing in top form, and Hampton and the other linemen all still able to command double-teams a lot of the time, so Woodley was like the fourth priority to account for and he ended up with the backup tight end or the running back trying to block him one-on-one a lot. He's not a disruptive player in his own right; now he cleans up garbage and that's about it.

The contract was going to be terrible even without the restructuring. There are only so many ways you can design a backloaded 6-year, $61 million contract to be less painful; I mean, no matter what you do, it's $10 million a year you have to do something with. So maybe we'd be facing a $10M hit instead of a $14M hit, big whoop. That's still an awful deal.

If I'm not mistaken, we could save a ton of money by cutting him June 1 - on the order of $7M or $8M. Yes, that means we'd also be eating $7M or $8M in dead money in 2015, but we'd eat that amount in 2015 no matter what we do. The only question is whether we want to throw away an additional $8M in salary next year over this.

GBMelBlount
01-25-2014, 05:54 AM

:lol:

Hawkman
01-25-2014, 10:16 AM
I do blame the FO for it ... but he also has not been a very good player by any standard in the meantime. Apart from getting hurt, even when he's active, he disappears for games at a time ... overall I do not tend to see him influencing the play that often, more likely collecting a handful of opportunistic tackles and sacks in the least critical situations, when things happen to go his way. He was probably the least disruptive LB on the team, with the exception of whoever was the second ILB at the time. I think what was really going on was that early in his career, he benefited a hell of a lot from having Harrison on the other side, Polamalu still playing in top form, and Hampton and the other linemen all still able to command double-teams a lot of the time, so Woodley was like the fourth priority to account for and he ended up with the backup tight end or the running back trying to block him one-on-one a lot. He's not a disruptive player in his own right; now he cleans up garbage and that's about it.

The contract was going to be terrible even without the restructuring. There are only so many ways you can design a backloaded 6-year, $61 million contract to be less painful; I mean, no matter what you do, it's $10 million a year you have to do something with. So maybe we'd be facing a $10M hit instead of a $14M hit, big whoop. That's still an awful deal.

If I'm not mistaken, we could save a ton of money by cutting him June 1 - on the order of $7M or $8M. Yes, that means we'd also be eating $7M or $8M in dead money in 2015, but we'd eat that amount in 2015 no matter what we do. The only question is whether we want to throw away an additional $8M in salary next year over this.

Love the way this goes from a Munchak thread to a Woodley thread, Kind of ironic (I think), since many threads on many boards use to turn into O-Line threads!!:wink02: