PDA

View Full Version : Keisel, Clark face uncertain futures with Steelers

GBMelBlount
01-02-2014, 09:43 PM

PITTSBURGH – Brett Keisel choked up and had to turn away for a moment as he spoke with reporters about his future following the Steelers’ 20-7 victory over the Cleveland Browns Sunday.

Regardless of whether the Steelers’ season continued or not, the defensive end knew there was a good chance he had played his final game at Heinz Field.

“I told my guys in the d-line room that it’s always different,” said Keisel, who was selected by the Steelers in the seventh round of the 2002 draft.

“This will be the last time that we get to stand together in that spot with this group of guys. The way the league is, you change every year, no matter what.

“It was emotional. I’m just proud to be a Steeler and proud to have helped finish this thing strong.”

Safety Ryan Clark was in the same situation.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20131231/SPORTS0403/131239909#.UsYxleJdYgo

Devilsdancefloor
01-02-2014, 10:43 PM
da beard for depth would be great IMO

st33lersguy
01-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Clark definitely should be gone, I'd consider Kiesel at a cheap enough price, but we need to try to focus our attention on Worilds and Cotchery among others

Psycho Ward 86
01-02-2014, 11:22 PM
now that i think about, i change my mind about keisel. keep him for vet min. or near vet minimium for depth unless ziggy miraculously wants to stay for next to nothing. Clark needs to go though

Aussie_steeler
01-03-2014, 01:02 AM
Keisel would admit his future is uncertain.

However Clark has such a high opinion of himself he would have no doubt in his mind that he is back for 2014.

You are only as good as your recent body of work and I would take Keisel based on that.

tihmtahm
01-03-2014, 08:06 AM
I think it would be a mistake to let Clark go... That guy can hit! Everyone can have an off year. I would give him one more shot.

Steelman
01-03-2014, 08:50 AM
I think it would be a mistake to let Clark go... That guy can hit! Everyone can have an off year. I would give him one more shot.

No way. We can't continue to sacrifice coverage for a hitter in the secondary. Clark was a liability in coverage all season long.

I think if Keisel wanted to come back for another on vet min, that would be amazing depth on the line. He's knowledgeable, knows the LeBeau defense as well as any, and if he's not playing every week, he'd be relatively fresh.

tihmtahm
01-03-2014, 08:55 AM
No way. We can't continue to sacrifice coverage for a hitter in the secondary. Clark was a liability in coverage all season long.

I think if Keisel wanted to come back for another on vet min, that would be amazing depth on the line. He's knowledgeable, knows the LeBeau defense as well as any, and if he's not playing every week, he'd be relatively fresh.

Yeah... Coverage was an issue for sure, but when he and Polamalu hit someone, it makes them think. I've seen many a game after a hit by those 2 guys, the receiver just isn't quite the same after that. It's one of those intangibles I guess. If there was a better coverage guy and he could hit like Clark... well that would be heaven sent!

Kittyfish
01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Well, they are two of my favorite players on defense - I would just love to hang out with either one of them; they seem so cool and fun - and while I know they must go someday, and sooner than later, I will be sad when they do. Wish them both all the best, whatever happens.

one side only
01-03-2014, 02:42 PM
I don't think their future is so uncertain. Keisel will remain in the local area as a B - list celeb, making car dealer commercials and maybe joining Craig Wolfley on the sideline or something. Clark has bigger aspirations. no doubt he sees himself on ESPN or the NFL Network.

MrPgh
01-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Yeah... Coverage was an issue for sure, but when he and Polamalu hit someone, it makes them think. I've seen many a game after a hit by those 2 guys, the receiver just isn't quite the same after that. It's one of those intangibles I guess. If there was a better coverage guy and he could hit like Clark... well that would be heaven sent!

You can't make a big hit when you in the wrong place on the field. Clark is washed-up. It's time to move on.

Hawkman
01-03-2014, 09:04 PM
You can't make a big hit when you in the wrong place on the field. Clark is washed-up. It's time to move on.

Funny, he was second by far, in number of tackles 104. Not for being in the wrong place.

ALLD
01-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Keisel for vet min.
Clark needs to retire.

steelreserve
01-04-2014, 06:38 PM
We're complete dumbfucks if we keep either of these guys for anywhere near what they're making now. Kiesel still might have a year left, but only worth it if he'll play for a million or two. Clark's (limited) value would be mostly in a depth/mentor role, but I'm not even sure if that's worth a roster spot.

SteelMayhem72
01-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Brett Kiesel still is an impact player...offer him a pay cut and I guarantee he will return. Hes good when hes on the field!...ryan clark is done!

ALLD
01-04-2014, 07:02 PM
I thought Keisel got better near the end of the season. Clark faded into obscurity as a dinosaur, but the baddest hitter in the modern NFL.

katmandu
01-05-2014, 12:15 AM
No way. We can't continue to sacrifice coverage for a hitter in the secondary. Clark was a liability in coverage all season long.Agreed.

WAY too many big plays given up this season! That is what largely killed us this year.

SteelerFanInStl
01-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Keisel for vet min.
Clark needs to retire.

This. Clark needs to be gone.

st33lersguy
01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Kiesel for vet min only if players like Ike and Woodley get released. The Steelers do not have enough salary cap space right now to use up more of it on a past-his-primer in his mid 30s