PDA

View Full Version : Clock Management School

tjk100
12-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Conversation between Art Rooney II and Kevin Colbert.

AR II: Kevin, I think we need to send Mike to clock management school.

KC: We did. Five years ago.

AR II: What happened?

KC: He failed. Got an F.

AR II: Then I think we should send him again.

KC: We did. Got a D minus.

AR II: Then what should we do?

KC: I think we need a clock management coach!

fansince'76
12-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Cool story. :yawn:

The Bark
12-29-2013, 07:04 PM
He is, without a doubt, absolutely atrocious. They had to settle on a field goal attempt on third down last week. Then this week, the clock must have ran a good twenty seconds before they used a timeout when it was obvious Cleveland was going to punt before the half. And if it's not time, it's space (sideline incident).

fansince'76
12-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Maybe we should take the Browns lead and fire him then. After all, changing head coaches almost as often as underwear has worked for them so well...

Yeah, we get it. You posted this exact same thread last week.

Just one question, if I may...how much credit does he get for the team turning things around and closing out the season on a 6-2 run and a missed FG attempt away from a playoff berth (as opposed to tanking the season for the number one pick like the Texans) in your eyes?

Shoes
12-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Actually he shouldn't get any credit. The only heat Tomlin took this year is from people on this board….he sure didn't get anything from the sports media. He didn't get blamed for the results from the first half of the season, why should he get credit now?

fansince'76
12-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Actually he shouldn't get any credit. The only heat Tomlin took this year is from people on this board….he sure didn't get anything from the sports media. He didn't get blamed for the results from the first half of the season, why should he get credit now?

That's why I asked the OP specifically in his eyes if he gives Tomlin any credit for the 6-2 finish, which just as easily could have been 2-6 had the team just mailed it in after the 2-6 start (see: Falcons and Texans). I also meant it rhetorically because I'd imagine he probably doesn't. I see fans quick to blame Tomlin for everything that goes wrong, but when something positive happens, they are loath to give him any credit for it whatsoever.

Shoes
12-29-2013, 08:04 PM
That's why I asked the OP specifically in his eyes if he gives Tomlin any credit for the 6-2 finish, which just as easily could have been 2-6 had the team just mailed it in after the 2-6 start (see: Falcons and Texans). I also meant it rhetorically because I'd imagine he probably doesn't. I see fans quick to blame Tomlin for everything that goes wrong, but when something positive happens, they are loath to give him any credit for it whatsoever.

You mean tjk100? He just drops fart bombs and leaves the room. :chuckle:

tjk100
12-30-2013, 05:18 PM
No need to throw insults about fart bombs.

This thread is talking about Tomlin's clock management skills or lack thereof.

Shoes
12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
No need to throw insults about fart bombs.

This thread is talking about Tomlin's clock management skills or lack thereof.

You make Tomlin, Art II and Colbert sound like morons up above and your insulted? I'd say you need more skin on the nose…..no offense or insult intended.

touchdownward
12-30-2013, 06:17 PM
I admit Tomlin's clock management is terrible, but for a first time head coach, it can take many years to improve this.
Also, I give Tomlin all the credit in the world for motivating his team and not letting them roll over and die with the 0-4 start.
Glad the fans didn't decide Noll had to go in the early years.
Patience with our head coaches is the Steeler way and, for the most part, we're one of the top teams year in and year out. I've only seen 3 Steeler HCs in my lifetime. Stability is a good thing.

HollywoodSteel
12-31-2013, 09:57 PM
I think it's fine to point out his flaws. Being a head coach is a tough job and I certainly give him props for keeping this locker room together. That's not easy without a Hines Ward, Jame Farrior, etc. But the clock management thing is just a head scratcher. He must be a very smart guy to be a head coach in this league. Clock management seems like one of the less complicated parts about the job. Maybe it's just that he has so much going on in his head at the time. Perhaps he should have a clock-management coach to keep him abreast of what to do in every situation.

He certainly needs a sideline management coach.

X-Terminator
12-31-2013, 10:52 PM
I think it's fine to point out his flaws. Being a head coach is a tough job and I certainly give him props for keeping this locker room together. That's not easy without a Hines Ward, Jame Farrior, etc. But the clock management thing is just a head scratcher. He must be a very smart guy to be a head coach in this league. Clock management seems like one of the less complicated parts about the job. Maybe it's just that he has so much going on in his head at the time. Perhaps he should have a clock-management coach to keep him abreast of what to do in every situation.

He certainly needs a sideline management coach.

I don't think it's having so many things going on in his head, I just don't think he's very good at it. Lots of great coaches have flaws, even "The Great" (gag) Belicheat. This one, though, is one that can cost you games if you don't manage it properly. I want to see some improvement in this area.

However, the OP needs to chill with the friggin hyperbole.

tjk100
01-01-2014, 10:19 AM
There is an old story about Bill Belichick. Before he was going into a Super Bowl game, to make a point he asked his players what the penalty is for offensive holding. They answered 10 yards and replay of down. Then he asked what is the penalty for holding if a touchdown pass of 80 yards had just been thrown with 10 seconds left in the game, trailing by 4. Answer: loss of Super Bowl victory. He made it very clear that any error has a cost but the cost also depends on the moment that the error occurs. The same concept of moment in time also applies to Tomlin's clock management problems. Let's say his clock management error results in a loss of a Super Bowl because he let precious time bleed away when time is of the essence. For this reason the Steelers cannot let his strategic blunders continue. This problem must be fixed before we go into the 2014 season. It has been present for too long and too many times to let it continue. One day it will result in costs that are too steep to have to pay. But how do the Steelers fix this problem? Firing the coach is an option but it is untenable (3 years left on contract). Trying to have Tomlin see the light is an option but is he too stubborn to look or is he too limited in capacity to understand the ins and outs of statistics and probabilities. I think the hiring of someone with strong mathematical background who can transpose probabilities and statistics into concrete logical decisions is crucial. Example: 4th and 1 at the 33 yard line. What to do? Kick a field goal or try for a first down. Let's say Suisham's probability of making a field goal at this distance is 33%. Let's say the chance of a first down is 35% on a run play. Let's say the percentage of a first down on a pass play is 38%. The chance of a punt pinning the ball inside the 10 yard line on a punt without a touchback is is 35%. There are also other factors. So we have tangible data and intangible data to give to the coach. There are also mitigating circumstances. There must be someone that can concisely present the tangible data to the coach. Probabilities are predictions of future events based on past events. Tomlin needs to have someone who can precisely give him the options. Bill Belichick through experience and personal knowledge probably most times does this in his head. Mike Tomlin cannot. So what do we do on the 33 yard line at 4th and 1? Flying by the seat of the pants or going by the gut feeling may not be the answer. Hard data from past experience needs to be presented to the coach. Sort of like in baseball. Everything done in baseball has probabilities from past experience.

Shoes
01-01-2014, 11:03 AM
There is an old story about Bill Belichick. Before he was going into a Super Bowl game, to make a point he asked his players what the penalty is for offensive holding. They answered 10 yards and replay of down. Then he asked what is the penalty for holding if a touchdown pass of 80 yards had just been thrown with 10 seconds left in the game, trailing by 4. Answer: loss of Super Bowl victory. He made it very clear that any error has a cost but the cost also depends on the moment that the error occurs. The same concept of moment in time also applies to Tomlin's clock management problems. Let's say his clock management error results in a loss of a Super Bowl because he let precious time bleed away when time is of the essence. For this reason the Steelers cannot let his strategic blunders continue. This problem must be fixed before we go into the 2014 season. It has been present for too long and too many times to let it continue. One day it will result in costs that are too steep to have to pay. But how do the Steelers fix this problem? Firing the coach is an option but it is untenable (3 years left on contract). Trying to have Tomlin see the light is an option but is he too stubborn to look or is he too limited in capacity to understand the ins and outs of statistics and probabilities. I think the hiring of someone with strong mathematical background who can transpose probabilities and statistics into concrete logical decisions is crucial. Example: 4th and 1 at the 33 yard line. What to do? Kick a field goal or try for a first down. Let's say Suisham's probability of making a field goal at this distance is 33%. Let's say the chance of a first down is 35% on a run play. Let's say the percentage of a first down on a pass play is 38%. The chance of a punt pinning the ball inside the 10 yard line on a punt without a touchback is is 35%. There are also other factors. So we have tangible data and intangible data to give to the coach. There are also mitigating circumstances. There must be someone that can concisely present the tangible data to the coach. Probabilities are predictions of future events based on past events. Tomlin needs to have someone who can precisely give him the options. Bill Belichick through experience and personal knowledge probably most times does this in his head. Mike Tomlin cannot. So what do we do on the 33 yard line at 4th and 1? Flying by the seat of the pants or going by the gut feeling may not be the answer. Hard data from past experience needs to be presented to the coach. Sort of like in baseball. Everything done in baseball has probabilities from past experience.

Very good post and possible help to the problem. It's pretty much what the offense, defense and special teams are doing for him. Who corrects a HC with an issue like this? The Rooneys? I don't know how much football Art II understands outside of the business.

zulater
01-01-2014, 01:56 PM
I think you're over complicating things here. By the time you consulted with your "clock management coach" your window of action would already have expired. And if you put a functionary coach in charge of in game decisions of the magnitude you're talking here then you would essentially be neutering your head coach. No self respecting head coach would cede that sort of in game control. The team would lose respect for him. Sounds like something Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder would come up with.

I would fully endorse Art and or Dan calling in Tomlin to talk about his clock management. Tell him you think it's something he needs to improve, challenge him, ask him how he's going to go about it, and if you're not satisfied with his answers fire him if you think it's necessary. Just don't tear his sack off and display it to the world. Do that and you have no coach even if the clock management did improve.

Shoes
01-01-2014, 02:22 PM
I think you're over complicating things here. By the time you consulted with your "clock management coach" your window of action would already have expired. And if you put a functionary coach in charge of in game decisions of the magnitude you're talking here then you would essentially be neutering your head coach. No self respecting head coach would cede that sort of in game control. The team would lose respect for him. Sounds like something Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder would come up with.

I would fully endorse Art and or Dan calling in Tomlin to talk about his clock management. Tell him you think it's something he needs to improve, challenge him, ask him how he's going to go about it, and if you're not satisfied with his answers fire him if you think it's necessary. Just don't tear his sack off and display it to the world. Do that and you have no coach even if the clock management did improve.

I don't have any question about Dan's football smarts but Art II does concern me. When Dan's gone…boy howdy!

Iron Steeler
01-01-2014, 08:20 PM
I actually couldn't agree more about tomlins coaching ability with his clock management. I cant remember what game exactly this year but a remember that cotchery had a questionable catch close to the ground and Ben was trying to hurry up the play to nullify the opponents challenge. BUT NO tomlin sent in personal changes at the same time and you could see the frustration on Bens face. Tomlin killed that drive.
The browns game with the punt situation is another example.

He definitely needs to step up on his clock management.