PDA

View Full Version : Why the Steelers need help today: A look back at 2013

stillers4me
12-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Like a lot of holiday consumers, the Steelers will be doing a lot of window shopping today, standing on the outside looking in at something they would dearly like – a spot in the NFL postseason.

They are in this position for any number of reasons, none more tangible than an 0-4 start to the regular season that, in retrospect, was foreshadowed by Isaac Redman’s fumble at the goal line in the opener against Tennessee.

And that was only the start. There was poor tackling in London. Chicanery in Oakland. Embarrassing numbers in New England. A dropped pass in Baltimore. A blown lead and wayward toe against Miami. And probably any one of the 11 scrimmage plays of 50 yards or longer that crippled their defense..........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/29/Why-the-Steelers-need-help-today-A-look-back-at-2013/stories/201312290166#ixzz2orsX3vjj

GBMelBlount
12-29-2013, 08:43 AM
I will vote for giving up big plays.

LeBeau prides himself on preventing big plays.

This year was ugly....and it is partially due to losing a very solid member of our defensive backfield due to cap issues.

While you can point to a particular play in each game, giving up big plays is a killer.

Just sayin.

Count Steeler
12-29-2013, 09:19 AM
I think a major problem from the beginning of the season, even the pre season, was that the coaching staff kept trying to get the wrong set of players playing the wrong schemes. Once they went back to basics and some players got healthy, we started to win.

The offense came around, seemingly, when Haley let Ben run more of the show. The O Line gelled or solidified once a LT was in place that could play better than a turnstile. The coaching staff finally realized that Adams/Gilbert are not the answer there. Thank God Beachum has some gray matter between his ears and he is athletic.

The D is hurting because we lack decent depth and the heart of the defense is non existent. NT and ILB (outside of Timmons) need upgrading. Clark fell off the age cliff and Polamalu doesn't have the speed to recover from his gambles anymore.

So my wish list;

1. Coaches, utilize the talent given and don't keep trying to put players where they don't belong. (Adams, Gilbert, Worilds etc.)
2. On defense, NT, ILB, Safety, CB.
3. On offense, RB (depth), TE, WR, OL (late round or UDFA).
4. On special teams, WAKEUP!!!
5. Tackle, tackle, tackle. And when they have finished practicing how to tackle, practice again.

Godfather
12-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Tennessee, Minnesota, and Oakland all have losing records. We win any of those games and we're in control of our own destiny. Same goes for beating mediocre Ratbird and Dolphin teams.

Moose
12-29-2013, 11:35 AM
It doesn't matter if we win this game or not. The 0-4 start killed this team from the beginning. As I've always said, with a 16 game season, every game counts. Majority of the time the statement, "it's only one game" is asinine. You have to win every game, especially at home. Okay, we all know winning every game is just about impossible, but you have to beat the teams you should beat. Training camp and preseason train you for those games. I'm a big Steeler fan and I'd love to see them in the play offs, but they dug too big of a hole at the season beginning. But as we know, anything can happen. I'm just going to hope that the bungholes get beat in the first play off game.....damn, I hate that team and those asinine fans !

Edman
12-29-2013, 11:37 AM
The Steelers lost to Ryan Tannehill in a Blizzard.

This is why they are here.