PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the Pittsburgh Steelers' Decision to Trade Santonio Holmes

GBMelBlount
12-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Serendipity.

In 2009, Santonio Holmes was at the peak of his career. The Super Bowl XLIII MVP followed that performance with a career season. His 79-catch, 1,248-yard year seemed to firmly entrench him as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ top target.

That’s what made it all the more surprising when the Steelers opted to trade Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round pick. What prompted the trade was Holmes’ checkered past. The 2006 first-rounder was embroiled in a legal dispute regarding a nightclub incident and faced a four-game suspension heading into 2010 due to violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

Nonetheless, many fans—myself included—were shocked the Steelers would part ways with such a valuable on-field contributor for such little compensation. Of course, the Steelers were able to turn that pick into two players by trading it to the Arizona Cardinals for Bryant McFadden and their sixth-rounder, but could an average starting corner and a late-round flier really replace Holmes’ production?....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1903363-revisiting-the-pittsburgh-steelers-decision-to-trade-santonio-holmes

Psycho Ward 86
12-27-2013, 10:48 PM
and add another probowl nod at punt returner and wide receiver to that resume. who wouldve thought that sending santonio holmes away for a 5th rounder would be a STEAL. glad to have you aboard antonio.

salamander
12-28-2013, 12:05 AM
I'd say we made out pretty damn good in the end with that deal.

crcsnail
12-28-2013, 04:41 AM
As sad at the time I was to see Holmes go at the time (and Wallace ). Antonio has more than made up for it .Antonio is to me ,a TRUE steeler and I hope he sticks around for a long while yet . Like another favourite ,Heinz .

steeldawg
12-28-2013, 05:52 AM
We took a big gamble giving brown his contract when we did but it has really payed off, if he can sustain this level of play for most of his contract at his price then we got a steal.

dislocatedday
12-28-2013, 07:32 AM
A couple years ago there was a member of the Ravens secondary (..don't remember which player it was now...) who in the week leading up to the Steelers/Ravens game said that Mike Wallace is not the Steelers best receiver, but rather Antonio Brown is. I thought the guy was just blowing smoke or wanted to agitate Wallace, but I guess he really knew something back then before many people did.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2013, 07:43 AM
As sad at the time I was to see Holmes go at the time (and Wallace ). Antonio has more than made up for it .Antonio is to me ,a TRUE steeler and I hope he sticks around for a long while yet . Like another favourite ,Heinz .

Agreed.

While Brown may not have blinding straight line speed watching him cut and accelerate at game speed is nothing short of amazing.

He really works at it though.

NCSteeler
12-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Whats with these MAC guys. MAC must be better than some are giving credit. Glad our draft guys are not over looking them.

steelreserve
12-28-2013, 09:09 AM
While I'm thrilled with the way that deal turned out, let's not kid ourselves: It was 1% skill and 99% luck. If we were that good at trades or evaluating draft prospects, we'd be in nowhere near the mess we are now.

Brown is one of my favorite guys on the team, but let's also not get this confused with the idea of an established starter for a nominal draft pick being a "good trade." We got rid of Bongtonio because we were pissed off over something that had nothing to do with on-field talent, and possibly because we were concerned about the amount of money we'd have to pay him long-term. And Brown could've been any 4th-, 5th- or 6th-round pick, but that just happened to be the one we got lucky on. Nine times out of 10, that deal's a loser and we walk away with a guy who's on the practice squad for a couple years, if even that.

Yeah, Holmes' production has dropped off quite a bit since going to the Jets, but was that foresight on our part, or because the Jets suck? I won't pretend to know.

Steeldude
12-28-2013, 09:15 AM
I was jumping for joy when I heard the overrated WR was gone.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2013, 10:15 AM

Really?

Do you have a picture of this?

For some strange reason I am having a hard time imagining the "jumping for joy" part.

http://static6.depositphotos.com/1003938/628/v/950/depositphotos_6284958-Businessman-dancing-and-jumping-from-joy.jpg

steeldawg
12-28-2013, 10:27 AM

you think everyone is overrated

vader29
12-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Really?

For some strange reason I am having a hard time imagining the "jumping for joy" part.

Probably something like this:

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zgrvhk.gif

:chuckle:

Count Steeler
12-28-2013, 10:34 AM

So you must not be a WR. WR are not supposed to jump.

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2013, 10:51 AM
A couple years ago there was a member of the Ravens secondary (..don't remember which player it was now...) who in the week leading up to the Steelers/Ravens game said that Mike Wallace is not the Steelers best receiver, but rather Antonio Brown is. I thought the guy was just blowing smoke or wanted to agitate Wallace, but I guess he really knew something back then before many people did.

it was a damn good cornerback that said it too. Lardarius Webb. i thought exactly the same, im glad to be eating crow now

GBMelBlount
12-28-2013, 11:08 AM

:lol:

Actually I like Steeldude's candor and I think he is right a lot.

I just have a hard time imagining the jumping for joy thing. :chuckle:

Godfather
12-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Trading Bongtonio made sense no matter what we got for him. He was in the last year of his contract and we were only going to get 12 games out of him. And we definitely weren't going to re-sign him because next time he came up dirty he would be out for a full season. That fact, along with his history of off-field idiocy, made him too much of a risk. Might as well get a late pick instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Steeldude
12-29-2013, 01:14 PM
you think everyone is overrated

How so? But isn't that better than becoming personally attached to players like you do? I am still laughing when you said fundamentals aren't important.

Harrison wasn't overrated.
Wallace was overrated.
Brown isn't overrated.
Mendenhall was overrated.
Burress was overrated.
Kordell was overrated.
Lambert wasn't overrated.
Kirkland wasn't overrated.
Miller isn't overrated.
Woodley is way overrated.
Timmons isn't overrated.
Polamalu isn't overrated.
BR isn't overrated.
Worilds isn't overrated.
Holmes was overrated....

I could go on and on...

- - - Updated - - -

Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Really?

You should have seen me when my wife said she will be out visiting family for the weekend : )

GBMelBlount
12-29-2013, 03:02 PM
GBMelBlount

Really?

You should have seen me when my wife said she will be out visiting family for the weekend : )

LOL. Good one! :lol:

BigNastyDefense
12-29-2013, 05:35 PM
While I don't think Holmes was overrated, I wasn't shedding tears that he was traded (and this is coming from an Ohio State fan that flipped out with happiness when the Steelers drafted the guy).

He was traded because he was likely not going to be resigned by the Steelers at the end of his rookie contract due to the $$$ he was going to be looking for after another season like the one he just had. His past played a part in it to, because he was only going to play 12 games at most and he had a history of dumb off-field decisions (remember his one-game suspension for being caught with marijuana?).

The Steelers were also dealing with the Ben Roethlisberger Georgia rape allegations, which also brought back up the allegations from Nevada. The Steelers had to do something, and they chose it was wiser to deal Holmes than Roethlisberger.

zulater
12-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Santonio was let go for more reasons than being a stoner and his second contract coming up.