PDA

View Full Version : Clowney does it again!

Shoes
12-26-2013, 05:36 PM
No way would I take this guy.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/26/clowney-gets-another-speeding-ticket/

ALLD
12-26-2013, 05:44 PM
He should try NASCAR instead of the NFL.

GBMelBlount
12-26-2013, 06:36 PM
On the positive side he was only ticketed at 84 mph this time instead of 110.

He is obviously showing restraint. :dizzy:

Hindes204
12-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Everybody speeds, I would hardly take this as a major character flaw

Dwinsgames
12-26-2013, 07:02 PM
once is one thing .... twice in a month that far over the speed limit is a pattern

throw in the fact that he only plays when he wants to and needs motivation to do so , then you have a combination of red flags that if I am a GM it takes him off my draft board because early round picks are to valuable to waist on a guy who is not as committed as I am to winning

salamander
12-26-2013, 07:05 PM
I hope this guy is FAR away from the Steelers radar.

Shoes
12-26-2013, 07:39 PM

I got 1 speeding ticket in 44 years of driving all over the world. The flaw is the void between the ears…... with a little NFL money and a few good games watch what happens to this *character*.

once is one thing .... twice in a month that far over the speed limit is a pattern

throw in the fact that he only plays when he wants to and needs motivation to do so , then you have a combination of red flags that if I am a GM it takes him off my draft board because early round picks are to valuable to waist on a guy who is not as committed as I am to winning

+1 to this.

Hindes204
12-26-2013, 08:25 PM
I agree with the lack of motivation on the field, that's the reason I don't want him. These speeding tickets have no bearing on my decision though. Getting a speeding ticket doesn't make you stupid, it just means you like to take risks.

- - - Updated - - -

I rented a corvette before, and you're damn right I got that thing up to well over 100

Shoes
12-26-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree with the lack of motivation on the field, that's the reason I don't want him. These speeding tickets have no bearing on my decision though. Getting a speeding ticket doesn't make you stupid, it just means you like to take risks.

- - - Updated - - -

I rented a corvette before, and you're damn right I got that thing up to well over 100

I bought a new one in 1974 for $7800 and it rode like an old truck….In fact I think they still do. :chuckle:

fansince'76
12-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Well, at least he didn't get busted with a half pound (or more) of weed, which is how most of these kinds of stops wind up...

Clowney previously was cited for driving 110 miles per hour, 40 mph above the posted limit.

The good news is he may not get any more tickets in the near future. Because he was exceeding the speed limit by more than 25 miles per hour on both occasions, he faces a maximum point penalty of six for each of the events, which could trigger a suspension of his license by putting him at 12 points.

Uh, yeah, and the primary reason this kid keeps getting nailed for (massively) excessive speeding is because he's an entitled shithead who is well aware that he's going to be essentially cashing in a lottery ticket in about four months. I seriously doubt a "little" formality like a suspended license is going to stop him from driving.

Clowney's new theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDbON8udTPo

:chuckle:

Seven
12-26-2013, 09:54 PM

Interesting point. When I first considered your post, I agreed with it. However, 84 in a 55 and 110 in a 70 is beyond reasonable, in my opinion.

Dwinsgames
12-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Well, at least he didn't get busted with a half pound (or more) of weed, which is how most of these kinds of stops wind up...

Uh, yeah, and the primary reason this kid keeps getting nailed for (massively) excessive speeding is because he's an entitled shithead who is well aware that he's going to be essentially cashing in a lottery ticket in about four months. I seriously doubt a "little" formality like a suspended license is going to stop him from driving.

Clowney's new theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDbON8udTPo

:chuckle:

nice its even the best version too Commander Cody

SteelerFanInStl
12-27-2013, 09:04 AM
I bought a new one in 1974 for $7800 and it rode like an old truck….In fact I think they still do. :chuckle:

Actually recent and new Corvettes ride very nice. You must not have ridden in one made in the past 20 years. I owned an '00, '01 and '04 and they were my daily drivers for about 6 years. It's a fantastic car for a road trip or for daily driving.

GBMelBlount
12-27-2013, 09:10 AM
I guess it's all relative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRfbL6memSs

Shoes
12-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Actually recent and new Corvettes ride very nice. You must not have ridden in one made in the past 20 years. I owned an '00, '01 and '04 and they were my daily drivers for about 6 years. It's a fantastic car for a road trip or for daily driving.

You are correct '74 and older. I'm sure the newer models ride much nicer. Heck I bought a new Wrangler this past summer and couldn't believe I was in a Jeep.

fansince'76
12-27-2013, 11:40 AM

Wish they cost that much now. :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
12-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Interesting point. When I first considered your post, I agreed with it. However, 84 in a 55 and 110 in a 70 is beyond reasonable, in my opinion.

wasnt it 110 in a 40 ?

either way though , still over the top and not something I want form a draft pick esp a high round guy

* just checked it was 110 in a 70 ...still

Hindes204
12-27-2013, 01:08 PM
wasnt it 110 in a 40 ?

either way though , still over the top and not something I want form a draft pick esp a high round guy

* just checked it was 110 in a 70 ...still

Ive gone 110 on the highway before, I guess I don't see it as a big of a deal as everyone else

Dwinsgames
12-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Ive gone 110 on the highway before, I guess I don't see it as a big of a deal as everyone else

so have I , but I would not want to invest in someone that does , draft picks are investments from my perspective and high draft picks are large investments you put a premium on and preferably are spent on safe investments not risky ones ( save the risky ones for penny stocks )

Shoes
12-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Wish they cost that much now. :chuckle:

Me too, brother. The base model in `74 was about $6000, I believe. I don't even want to think about the `50 &`60 models. Gas was about 40 cents a gallon. :chuckle:

fansince'76
12-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Me too, brother. The base model in `74 was about $6000, I believe. I don't even want to think about the `50 &`60 models. Gas was about 40 cents a gallon. :chuckle:

Which was about 2-3 times as much as a "regular" car at the time, wasn't it? As I was 6 years old in '74, I wasn't pricing cars too often. :chuckle:

It's amazing how much prices have increased for everything.

Texasteel
12-27-2013, 05:11 PM
so have I , but I would not wantto invest in someone that does , draft picks are investments from my perspective and high draft picks are large investments you put a premium on and preferably are spent on safe investments not risky ones ( save the risky ones for penny stocks )

I agree, To be truthful, I think I am more concerned about his work ethics, and the fact that he can vanish from some games. I think his interview are going to extremely important. Can he convince someone that he is willing to put forth the effort to be a good pro player. I also think it may come down to how far he will fall in the draft, if he falls at all. The lower the pick the less risk he would be, or the lest costly the risk would be.

Dwinsgames
12-27-2013, 05:36 PM
I agree, To be truthful, I think I am more concerned about his work ethics, and the fact that he can vanish from some games. I think his interview are going to extremely important. Can he convince someone that he is willing to put forth the effort to be a good pro player. I also think it may come down to how far he will fall in the draft, if he falls at all. The lower the pick the less risk he would be, or the lest costly the risk would be.

lets face it he is a bad combine and a train wreck interview away from Burficting himself at this point ... Burfict has redeemed himself and proven to be a good football player but how much money did it cost him to learn that lesson from first round lock to UDFA the year he was selected is probably something to the tune of 20-50 million ( 1 year before rookie wage scales came into play) that is a HUGE price to pay .... lessons cost money , good ones cost lots as Tony Beets would say

Shoes
12-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Which was about 2-3 times as much as a "regular" car at the time, wasn't it? As I was 6 years old in '74, I wasn't pricing cars too often. :chuckle:

It's amazing how much prices have increased for everything.

It was, I can remember looking at Jeep Cj's at Corwin Jeep in Hickory Pa. They were between 2-3K and pretty bare. Incidentally, Corwin Jeep was the oldest Jeep dealer in the nation when it was closed down by Chrysler in 2009. Just over the Hickory hills lies Fort Cherry and Marvin Lewis. :chuckle:

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-archive/2009/05/chrysler-closing-nations-oldest-jeep-dealer.html

fansince'76
12-27-2013, 09:08 PM
It was, I can remember looking at Jeep Cj's at Corwin Jeep in Hickory Pa. They were between 2-3K and pretty bare. Incidentally, Corwin Jeep was the oldest Jeep dealer in the nation when it was closed down by Chrysler in 2009. Just over the Hickory hills lies Fort Cherry and Marvin Lewis. :chuckle:

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-archive/2009/05/chrysler-closing-nations-oldest-jeep-dealer.html

It's a bummer that it was closed for that reason. :(

Texasteel
12-27-2013, 10:56 PM
lets face it he is a bad combine and a train wreck interview away from Burficting himself at this point ... Burfict has redeemed himself and proven to be a good football player but how much money did it cost him to Burficthat lesson from first round lock to UDFA the year he was selected is probably something to the tune of 20-50 million ( 1 year before rookie wage scales came into play) that is a HUGE price to pay .... lessons cost money , good ones cost lots as Tony Beets would say

Burfict,,,,, That is an interesting name right now. I have often wondered if he would be the player he is now if he had no fallen completely out of the draft.

Chidi29
12-27-2013, 11:23 PM
This assumes his maturity level now will be the same in five years. Ideally, unlikely (and everyone thinks they're the team that can change a guy) and it will change.

Plus, he's a rock star in college. He'll still be a big name in the NFL but he'll learn (again, ideally) quickly it's an entirely different landscape. You still have to earn everything.

And above all, when you're that good, exceptations are made.

steeldawg
12-28-2013, 06:05 AM
They guy is a monster I don't really care about his driving record, I just care if he can get to the qb. Whats next, are we going to pull his credit report?

Texasteel
12-28-2013, 07:47 AM
They guy is a monster I don't really care about his driving record, I just care if he can get to the qb. Whats next, are we going to pull his credit report?

It go's further that a couple of speeding tickets bud. Still the teams will weigh everything, talk to him, watch him in the post season, including the combines, and make up their own minds. If he does drop, I doubt if he drops to far. He's a heck of a player when he wants to play.

Dwinsgames
12-28-2013, 11:30 AM

its not like we are talking parking tickets here ... it is risky behavior , behavior that you must consider if it has the ability of making him unavailable to your organization , driving over 100mph could very well put him in the ground .... how well can he rush the passer from the graveyard ?

RISK is a large part in draft evaluation from where I sit ...

you do not want to risk high draft picks on guys who potentially may never play a down and with his behavior off the field ....

would you feel the same way if the guy had successfully played russian roulette but only twice thus far that you know about but twice in a month ???

driving over 100 mph is liken to russian roulette you are only going to get away with it so many times before something goes dreadfully wrong .....

what is worse driving 100+ mph or driving drunk and going 10 under the speed limit ? equally bad IMO because neither will permit you to act in time to an emergency situation and get your car stopped in a safe manner without causing injury to you or others in the process ...

I would not draft a guy who got 2 DUI's in a months time , so why would I draft a guy driving far in excess of the speed limit during that same time frame .... its dangerous to my investment as well as anyone around them including themselves

Shoes
12-28-2013, 12:00 PM
its not like we are talking parking tickets here ... it is risky behavior , behavior that you must consider if it has the ability of making him unavailable to your organization , driving over 100mph could very well put him in the ground .... how well can he rush the passer from the graveyard ?

RISK is a large part in draft evaluation from where I sit ...

you do not want to risk high draft picks on guys who potentially may never play a down and with his behavior off the field ....

would you feel the same way if the guy had successfully played russian roulette but only twice thus far that you know about but twice in a month ???

driving over 100 mph is liken to russian roulette you are only going to get away with it so many times before something goes dreadfully wrong .....

what is worse driving 100+ mph or driving drunk and going 10 under the speed limit ? equally bad IMO because neither will permit you to act in time to an emergency situation and get your car stopped in a safe manner without causing injury to you or others in the process ...

I would not draft a guy who got 2 DUI's in a months time , so why would I draft a guy driving far in excess of the speed limit during that same time frame .... its dangerous to my investment as well as anyone around them including themselves

This makes perfect sense.

Dwinsgames
12-28-2013, 12:34 PM
This makes perfect sense.

then after all that he has his other concerns ....

more of a headache than I personally want to have to deal with ....

you have to worry about his off field actions but also have to find a way to keep him motivated , stop him from taking plays off , get him to go at 100% all the time ...

does anybody think he would have fought and gave 100% after week 4 was in the books for this team ?

Hell I think he would have packed it up and mailed it in the rest of the way , clearly that is subjective and its my gut feeling , it can't be proven or disproved but he has shown he gives up and quits and plays without effort when he does not feel as though it benefits him to go all out ........

then I must ask is he anything more than Jarvis Jones was as a collegiate statistically speaking couple the fact that he would be forced to make a pos change if drafted by a 3-4 team because his size and skill set would be wasted at End in a 3-4 at the NFL level ....

One big NO THANK YOU

fansince'76
12-28-2013, 03:34 PM
To me, the speeding tickets are fairly minor. Hell, I had a bad case of lead foot at that age too. What really bothers me about him is his "saving himself" for the pros. I could definitely see him tearing it up until he got that all-important second contract and then coasting after he got paid.

Hindes204
12-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Risky behavior...kinda like riding a motorcycle with no helmet?

i agree with all of your other points Dwins, I don't want the guy for the others reasons you stated, but a young man driving too fast just isn't one of them

Dwinsgames
12-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Risky behavior...kinda like riding a motorcycle with no helmet?

i agree with all of your other points Dwins, I don't want the guy for the others reasons you stated, but a young man driving too fast just isn't one of them

fair enough , not everyone looks at it the same way

Shoes
12-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Ok, where are we in e picking order?

Dwinsgames
12-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Ok, where are we in e picking order?

probably 16 , give or take a spot will know more after all the games are over Cowboys could end up with a worse record than us yet

Chidi29
12-29-2013, 07:35 PM
probably 16 , give or take a spot will know more after all the games are over Cowboys could end up with a worse record than us yet

Report is 15th.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/12/steelers-to-pick-15th-in-2014-nfl-draft/

Shoes
12-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Report is 15th.

Was it 16 last year?

fansince'76
12-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Was it 16 last year?

17th. We're two spots higher this year.

Dwinsgames
12-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Report is 15th.

hmmm .....

somehow I was thinking the Ravens and the Jets would pick before us and still not sure they won't

I could easily be wrong but my logic was we finished above the Ravens in the division according to NFL.COM ( better division record and the same conference record and slit head to head)

same record as the jets , but we beat them head 2 head ....

I am probably wrong but that was my logic

Chidi29
12-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I dunno, maybe 15th isn't right. Just going to wait and see.

Dwinsgames
12-29-2013, 09:02 PM
I dunno, maybe 15th isn't right. Just going to wait and see.

12 teams with worse records than us

4 teams with the same record as us ( we make 5 at 8-8 )

I am thinking they blundered with the prediction of 15th pick

Dallas who is now sitting at 8-7 and currently losing to the Eagles at the half , so could easily be included in the 8-8 teams at nights end ( which we be 6 teams at 8-8 )

Shoes
12-29-2013, 09:05 PM
12 teams with worse records than us

4 teams with the same record as us ( we make 5 at 8-8 )

I am thinking they blundered with the prediction of 15th pick

Dallas who is now sitting at 8-7 and currently losing to the Eagles at the half , so could easily be included in the 8-8 teams at nights end ( which we be 6 teams at 8-8 )

How do they decipher that?

Chidi29
12-29-2013, 09:08 PM
How do they decipher that?

Tie breaker determined by strength of schedule