PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben to make rare 16th start

GBMelBlount
12-26-2013, 03:48 PM

PITTSBURGH – When Todd Haley was hired as the Steelers’ offensive coordinator in 2012, part of his job descriptions was to find a way to keep quarterback Ben Roethlisberger from getting hit too often.

A two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback, Roethlisberger had a propensity for taking sacks and getting hit frequently behind makeshift offensive lines.

As a result, Roethlisberger always seemed to miss a game here or a block of games there.

When the Steelers (7-8) host the Cleveland Browns (4-11) Sunday, Roethlisberger will reach a rarified spot for him – his 16th start of the season. It will be only the second time in his 10-year career that Roethlisberger has started all 16 regular-season games.

As a result, Roethlisberger enters the final regular season game needing just 247 yards to break his own team record for passing yards in a season (4,328 in 2009). He’s already set records for pass attempts (553), completions (356) and tied his team record for 300-yard passing games (5).

Roethlisberger attributes his ability to stay healthy to improved blocking by the offensive line and Haley’s scheme, which has given him more freedom to run a no-huddle offense.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20131225/SPORTS0403/131229671#.Uryja-JdYgo

Hawkman
12-26-2013, 04:28 PM
As I said in another thread, Ben, Haley, and Tomlin aren't going anywhere. If we can start next season with a healthy Bell, TE, and OL, and everyone together in Haley system, could be an incredible offensive year. Now as for the defense.........

MrPgh
12-26-2013, 07:02 PM
As I said in another thread, Ben, Haley, and Tomlin aren't going anywhere. If we can start next season with a healthy Bell, TE, and OL, and everyone together in Haley system, could be an incredible offensive year. Now as for the defense.........

Nah, Haley can go. He handcuffed this offense for half the season. Took him far too long to realize what this offense's strengths were. To avoid having to "start over" on offense, they can just promote one of the position coaches, namely Fitchner or Wilson. Neither guy has an ego, nor are they problems off the field.

salamander
12-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Imagine where we'd be if Ben had been allowed to run the no-huddle the entire season. Glad to see he's made it through this far into the season.

MrPgh
12-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Imagine where we'd be if Ben had been allowed to run the no-huddle the entire season. Glad to see he's made it through this far into the season.

A big reason Haley should be out at season's end. That offense kept trying to ram it's head against a brick wall until they were down several points. The Steelers could've already locked up a playoff spot in the mediocre AFC.

zulater
12-26-2013, 09:14 PM
It would be nice to say things would be great if Haley had turned over the reigns to Ben earlier, but the truth is it wouldn't have made a whole lot of difference. The reason the offense looks better now is because Leveon Bell grew into the offense, Beachum became a legitimate NFL left tackle, Decastro grew into his draft status. Heath Miller got healthier as the season got longer. And last but not least Ben got his mad on because of Ian Rappaport. So now you have Ben determined to make it work with Haley to spite the world. So it makes no sense to change things. If this is sustainable, if you can carry this offensive momentum through to next season you're looking at a team that can make a run at the division crown at the very least.

MrPgh
12-26-2013, 10:42 PM
It would be nice to say things would be great if Haley had turned over the reigns to Ben earlier, but the truth is it wouldn't have made a whole lot of difference. The reason the offense looks better now is because Leveon Bell grew into the offense, Beachum became a legitimate NFL left tackle, Decastro grew into his draft status. Heath Miller got healthier as the season got longer. And last but not least Ben got his mad on because of Ian Rappaport. So now you have Ben determined to make it work with Haley to spite the world. So it makes no sense to change things. If this is sustainable, if you can carry this offensive momentum through to next season you're looking at a team that can make a run at the division crown at the very least.

That's what was said about the 2012 Eagles after they won their last few games in 2011 to finish 8-8. That didn't work out too well for them.

You have to look at the overall body of work. With Todd Haley, that isn't very good. If the Steelers continue down the same path then there's no reason to expect much better. And that's not even mentioning Haley's off-field problems. They'll be fine if they just promote Fitchner or Wilson, and there will be much less baggage to go along with that.

Hawkman
12-27-2013, 08:03 AM

Agreed! This offense had a lot going against it early on. No Bell, no Heath, Uncertainty at LT, Pouncey down in first series, new O-Line coach, Loss of Wallace (not saying that's a bad thing), no real back-up TE. Very little of that has to do with Haley. And lest we forget, until Ben went down last year, the offense was really clicking and headed for the playoffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Ben may be running the no-huddle, but most of those "quick strike" plays were created by Haley.

SteelerFanInStl
12-27-2013, 08:50 AM
It's definitely good to see Ben able to start all 16 games.

fansince'76
12-27-2013, 09:34 AM
It will be only the second time in his 10-year career that Roethlisberger has started all 16 regular-season games.

I've heard this point made before and I honestly think a bit too much of a big deal is made of it. In 2004, Turnover Tommy was the starter to begin the season and Cowher rested EVERYONE in the last game of that season since the top seed was already sewn up, in 2006 he missed games for reasons that had nothing to do with football, and in 2010 he was suspended for a quarter of the season because Goodell was trying to prove to the media he wasn't a racist. That's 3 years and practically 1/3 of his career right there.

Additionally, Elway (who I think Ben is most comparable to from a historical perpective) got beaten to death in the first half of his career and he never really suffered any dropoff, in fact, he kept getting better and he was still playing at a high level when he retired. Hopefully, the high draft picks spent on the OL in recent years will continue to pay dividends moving forward, and from the early returns Le'Veon Bell seems to have a pretty good chance to be the best RB the Steelers have had since Ben's career started (let's face it, Bettis was at the end of his rope by 2004). Hopefully, Bell will have the same positive impact on Ben's longevity as a QB that Terrell Davis had on Elway's.

oneforthetoe
12-27-2013, 10:58 AM
I've heard this point made before and I honestly think a bit too much of a big deal is made of it. In 2004, Turnover Tommy was the starter to begin the season and Cowher rested EVERYONE in the last game of that season since the top seed was already sewn up, in 2006 he missed games for reasons that had nothing to do with football, and in 2010 he was suspended for a quarter of the season because Goodell was trying to prove to the media he wasn't a racist. That's 3 years and practically 1/3 of his career right there.

Additionally, Elway (who I think Ben is most comparable to from a historical perpective) got beaten to death in the first half of his career and he never really suffered any dropoff, in fact, he kept getting better and he was still playing at a high level when he retired. Hopefully, the high draft picks spent on the OL in recent years will continue to pay dividends moving forward, and from the early returns Le'Veon Bell seems to have a pretty good chance to be the best RB the Steelers have had since Ben's career started (let's face it, Bettis was at the end of his rope by 2004). Hopefully, Bell will have the same positive impact on Ben's longevity as a QB that Terrell Davis had on Elway's.

I agree ... but lets see what happens once we subtract his long runs, since we all know those don;t count.

MrPgh
12-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Agreed! This offense had a lot going against it early on. No Bell, no Heath, Uncertainty at LT, Pouncey down in first series, new O-Line coach, Loss of Wallace (not saying that's a bad thing), no real back-up TE. Very little of that has to do with Haley. And lest we forget, until Ben went down last year, the offense was really clicking and headed for the playoffs.

False. The offense was looking respectable because of Ben's MVP caliber play on third down. Most of the play calling on the first two downs was terrible. An offense cannot live on third down.

Ben may be running the no-huddle, but most of those "quick strike" plays were created by Haley.

Nah, the bubble screens and runs-up-the-middle that went for losses were created by Haley. During his tenure as OC he's proven two things: he either handcuffs the offense, or he's proven to be absolutely useless because of Ben running the no-huddle. Considering that and the off-field baggage Haley brings, the Steelers don't need him next year.

zulater
12-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Good post! :applaudit: Ben was also withheld from the 2007 season finale because they were already locked into the 3 or 4 seed going into the week. Prior to that he had played the full 15. Ben's been a lot more durable than folks make out.

zulater
12-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Truth is Ben's missed a total of 9 starts to injury in a 10 year career. Four of those came in his second season, 3 in 2012, and one each in 2011 and 2009. So even if you want to add in the missed season opener of 2006 due to an appendectomy, that's still only 10 missed games in 10 seasons, and 6 seasons without a game missed due to injury.

Hawkman
12-27-2013, 08:36 PM
False. The offense was looking respectable because of Ben's MVP caliber play on third down. Most of the play calling on the first two downs was terrible. An offense cannot live on third down.

Nah, the bubble screens and runs-up-the-middle that went for losses were created by Haley. During his tenure as OC he's proven two things: he either handcuffs the offense, or he's proven to be absolutely useless because of Ben running the no-huddle. Considering that and the off-field baggage Haley brings, the Steelers don't need him next year.

You can't help yourself can you. Please show me ALL THE OFF THE FIELD BAGGAGE, that is so damaging to the Steelers organization. Then show me how Wilson and/or Fichtner, (spell it right if you are going to indorse him...or get close,( you obviously don't know since you've spelled it wrong twice in this thread alone)), is going to be a better option than Haley.

X-Terminator
12-27-2013, 08:53 PM
You can't help yourself can you. Please show me ALL THE OFF THE FIELD BAGGAGE, that is so damaging to the Steelers organization. Then show me how Wilson and/or Fichtner, (spell it right if you are going to indorse him...or get close,( you obviously don't know since you've spelled it wrong twice in this thread alone)), is going to be a better option than Haley.

Guess you haven't heard about the flap over the house he was living in (think it was in Upper St. Clair), where he allegedly destroyed the place, and the little brew-ha-ha over signing "Chiefs suck" on a napkin at a restaurant. Neither of them put him or the org in a good light whether they were true or not. However, his playcalling and refusal to turn the offense over to Ben until it was nearly too late should be enough to seal his doom, not the other stuff.

fansince'76
12-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Ben was also withheld from the 2007 season finale because they were already locked into the 3 or 4 seed going into the week. Prior to that he had played the full 15.

Ah, good call. Didn't remember that one. :hatsoff:

Hawkman
12-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Guess you haven't heard about the flap over the house he was living in (think it was in Upper St. Clair), where he allegedly destroyed the place, and the little brew-ha-ha over signing "Chiefs suck" on a napkin at a restaurant. Neither of them put him or the org in a good light whether they were true or not. However, his playcalling and refusal to turn the offense over to Ben until it was nearly too late should be enough to seal his doom, not the other stuff.
Something we will never know, but "I" have to wonder how quickly the offense would have been turned over to Ben, had Pouncey not gone down, and Heath and Bell been available opening day. No excuse i know, but with limited off season prep, Wallace gone, tight on cap....we were in a bad offensive position at the start.

I think we are seeing some of the fruits of Haley's labor. We have 8 losses, and I feel like you can only put 4-5 of those on lack of offensive production.

X-Terminator
12-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Something we will never know, but "I" have to wonder how quickly the offense would have been turned over to Ben, had Pouncey not gone down, and Heath and Bell been available opening day. No excuse i know, but with limited off season prep, Wallace gone, tight on cap....we were in a bad offensive position at the start.

I think we are seeing some of the fruits of Haley's labor. We have 8 losses, and I feel like you can only put 4-5 of those on lack of offensive production.

You're right, we'll never know. But something tells me he wouldn't have, and they would have still lost games as a result. Haley has an ego and he's a bit hard-headed, and those traits make it difficult to cede control over any situation.

Hawkman
12-27-2013, 10:48 PM
You're right, we'll never know. But something tells me he wouldn't have, and they would have still lost games as a result. Haley has an ego and he's a bit hard-headed, and those traits make it difficult to cede control over any situation.

...and Ben doesn't?......and BA doesn't? Haley was brought in to improve the running game (still to be determined), and keep from Ben getting killed, (not so good last year, but much better this year, by Ben's own admission). Ben's had three OCs, when it's all over I think he will tell you that the most effective combo was BB and Haley. I think BA was much more hard headed than Haley. He's the one who said, "we don't have or use a fullback". Dan Krieder was one of the best in the business, and he was out of a job.

Haley walked into, a mad Ben, a holdout Wallace, a fragile Mendy, a F-up O-line, and turned it into a solid O until Ben got hurt....let's get the man some consistency, before we let him go....and I think the guys like working with him, despite what Rappa-ass says.

X-Terminator
12-28-2013, 07:55 AM
...and Ben doesn't?......and BA doesn't? Haley was brought in to improve the running game (still to be determined), and keep from Ben getting killed, (not so good last year, but much better this year, by Ben's own admission). Ben's had three OCs, when it's all over I think he will tell you that the most effective combo was BB and Haley. I think BA was much more hard headed than Haley. He's the one who said, "we don't have or use a fullback". Dan Krieder was one of the best in the business, and he was out of a job.

Haley walked into, a mad Ben, a holdout Wallace, a fragile Mendy, a F-up O-line, and turned it into a solid O until Ben got hurt....let's get the man some consistency, before we let him go....and I think the guys like working with him, despite what Rappa-ass says.

I never even brought up BA in this situation, but of course he has an ego. Ben does, of course - you can't be a successful QB in this league if you don't have one. However, unlike Haley, BA at least allowed Ben some modicum of input over how the offense is run, whereas until late this season, Haley did not. I don't know what happened, but either Haley had a "come to Jesus" moment, or someone got in his ear, because only after he swallowed his ego and allowed Ben to run the no-huddle, the offense improved. They still have a way to go, but it's trending in the right direction. Now if he goes back to his stubborn, "it's my way or no way" ways next season and the offense struggles again, he had better be shown the door post-haste, and AR II will just have to get over it.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Additionally, Elway (who I think Ben is most comparable to from a historical perpective) got beaten to death in the first half of his career and he never really suffered any dropoff, in fact, he kept getting better and he was still playing at a high level when he retired.

Hopefully, the high draft picks spent on the OL in recent years will continue to pay dividends moving forward, and from the early returns Le'Veon Bell seems to have a pretty good chance to be the best RB the Steelers have had since Ben's career started (let's face it, Bettis was at the end of his rope by 2004).

Hopefully, Bell will have the same positive impact on Ben's longevity as a QB that Terrell Davis had on Elway's.

Nice Elway analogy and I am starting to agree with Ben continuing to improve.

I with or without another high round pick in 2014 I have a good feeling about the offensive line next year.

With regard to Bell however, I am not sure why people condemned Mendy at 3.5 ypc and are proclaiming Bell as the next Messiah at 3.5 ypc.

While I am not saying Bell does not have potential until the offensive line starts consistently opening holes I don't see any feature back averaging the 4 ypc that Bettis did over his career.

Hawkman
12-28-2013, 08:36 AM
I never even brought up BA in this situation, but of course he has an ego. Ben does, of course - you can't be a successful QB in this league if you don't have one. However, unlike Haley, BA at least allowed Ben some modicum of input over how the offense is run, whereas until late this season, Haley did not. I don't know what happened, but either Haley had a "come to Jesus" moment, or someone got in his ear, because only after he swallowed his ego and allowed Ben to run the no-huddle, the offense improved. They still have a way to go, but it's trending in the right direction. Now if he goes back to his stubborn, "it's my way or no way" ways next season and the offense struggles again, he had better be shown the door post-haste, and AR II will just have to get over it.

I get all that, but I think you're missing my point. I want to see what Haley can do with a healthy reasonably intact offense from the beginning of the season. It's hard for Ben to run an offense when it's missing or changing key components. Maybe Ben is spouting the "Company Line", but even he admits there was no way he could game call with a brand new center, a half assed TE, and no running game.......oh and trying to find a way to keep from getting killed from the left side.

Haley may not be the answer, but I don't think he's been given a fair shake.

- - - Updated - - -

...and I think he will be with the Steelers in 2014.

Count Steeler
12-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Nice Elway analogy and I am starting to agree with Ben continuing to improve.

I with or without another high round pick in 2014 I have a good feeling about the offensive line next year.

With regard to Bell however, I am not sure why people condemned Mendy at 3.5 ypc and are proclaiming Bell as the next Messiah at 3.5 ypc.

While I am not saying Bell does not have potential until the offensive line starts consistently opening holes I don't see any feature back averaging the 4 ypc that Bettis did over his career.

Bell at 3.5 is on the increase with an improving offense. Mendy underachieved after his first couple of seasons and was a head case. Hope springs eternal and there is upside to Bell. Mendy was finished in Pittsburgh. Last I checked Mendy was at 2.6 for the Cardinals.

- - - Updated - - -

And I'm still not 100% on the Bell wagon.

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2013, 10:57 AM

what season are you talking about? Mendy never averaged 3.5 YPC. Rookie year, he got injured and had limited snaps so i think everyone gave him a pass. last season, he just sucked ass and fumbled like nobody's business. The 3 seasons in between were the summation of successes he had exclusively against horrible run defenses. The only game i can ever recall where he had a good game against a good run defense was against the ravens with dennis dixon under center. Bell is simply doing more with less (in regards to the holes that are or arent there) and looks more well-rounded imo already. And the kid is only 21. The arrow is pointing up for him imo

Count Steeler
12-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Update, Mendy is at 3.1ypc with the Cardinals.

SteelMayhem72
12-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Haley will not be going anywhere...his scheme has proven to work in keepingbeen healthy and thats what they brought haley in for...i think if you bring in another coordinator you will be setting the offense back another 2 years...by that time Ben will be on his way out. As much as i dont like Haley as a person he has done what he was brought in for

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SteelMayhem72
12-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Sorry for the typos

SteelMayhem72
12-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Even if it was the O line gelling they look back at the O coordinator as being responsible

GBMelBlount
12-28-2013, 03:11 PM
what season are you talking about? Mendy never averaged 3.5 YPC. Rookie year, he got injured and had limited snaps so i think everyone gave him a pass. last season, he just sucked ass and fumbled like nobody's business. The 3 seasons in between were the summation of successes he had exclusively against horrible run defenses. The only game i can ever recall where he had a good game against a good run defense was against the ravens with dennis dixon under center. Bell is simply doing more with less (in regards to the holes that are or arent there) and looks more well-rounded imo already. And the kid is only 21. The arrow is pointing up for him imo

2009 through 2012 Mendy probably averaged close to 4 ypc.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11257/rashard-mendenhall

- - - Updated - - -

Haley will not be going anywhere...his scheme has proven to work in keepingbeen healthy and thats what they brought haley in for...i think if you bring in another coordinator you will be setting the offense back another 2 years...by that time Ben will be on his way out. As much as i dont like Haley as a person he has done what he was brought in for

Yep. Seems like Haleys dink and dunk keeps Ben healthier and works well with Ben calling the shots in the no huddle.

I think Ben is maturing too.

It's been 2 years now but it does seem to me like they are starting to figure things out.

fansince'76
12-28-2013, 03:30 PM

Don't get me wrong, Mendenhall is immensely talented. However, let's face it, he is also a headcase. That's what made his stint with the Steelers so frustrating. I just don't get the "headcase vibe" from Bell. Bell has also steadily improved over the season.

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2013, 03:52 PM
2009 through 2012 Mendy probably averaged close to 4 ypc.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11257/rashard-mendenhall

but against who? horrible run defenses almost exclusively

Don't get me wrong, Mendenhall is immensely talented.

hell no. he only runs well against horrible run defenses...sometimes.

zulater
12-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Tell me the season Mendenhall caught 44 passes, let alobe in 12 game. Bell is multi dimensional, you can line him up in the slot, you can line him up wide, you can even line him up behind center.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Tell me the season Mendenhall caught 44 passes, let alobe in 12 game. Bell is multi dimensional, you can line him up in the slot, you can line him up wide, you can even line him up behind center.

I know, I know, you can even line him up with green eggs and ham.

Maybe if he was averaging 4 ypc they wouldn't need to line him up in the slot or wide as often.

Not saying the 3.4 ypc is even his fault by the way Zu.

I think he will do fine once the line gets their shit together.