PDA

View Full Version : Why I think we can be optimistic for the future

stillers4me
12-23-2013, 01:30 PM
No matter what happens next week, whether we make the playoffs or not, I think we've watched this team mature. The experts predicted this would be a down year. Too old here, too young there. Bad chemistry between the QB and OC....the Steelers were definitely expected to be in "transition" mode. Welp, we didn't disappoint them!

But what they didn't expect was what actually happened........this woe begotten team did not quit. Their QB simply would not let them. Nobody, even the fans expected to be in the playoff hunt going into week 16.

How did they do that? Yes, we got some help from the other teams in the league ( imagine that.....it actually went our way all day.) But all the help wouldn't mean a thing if the Steelers did not win their own game. They started the season looking completely lost and unsure how to proceed with the loss of Pouncey and Foote...and then Velasco. Plax went down. The o line (again) was a shambles. I really think Ben was a huge factor in this team not panicking and helping this team build the chemistry that was absent at the beginning of the season. Going 0-4 and being the underdogs all season really, IMO, brought this team together. They took it one game at a time, some better than others, but they never gave up. What we saw yesterday, would never have happened 2 months ago.

And kudos to Coach Tomlin. He did not lose this team.

I hope the chemistry that these young guys are building returns next year....that they are getting a taste of the success that comes from hard work, that they come into training camp hungry and maybe, just maybe, we are seeing a new "band of brothers" forming that will take this team into the future.....and more championships.

Yes, I know we still have alot of problems to address in the draft and in the offseason. It's what I saw this team do during adversity this year that has impressed me....and I didn't even realize until yesterday. And I really think Ben had alot to do with it. When have you ever seen him give up? Not even when he, himself, was at his personal lowest. He picked this team up this year, and said "we can do this, follow me." And gave them confidence in themselves. That's all Big Ben...love him or hate him, he's not a quitter.

This post isn't about what went wrong this year. We already have pages and pages on that subject. It's about what went right. I see chemistry where there was none.

I am proud of what they accomplished this year...especially in light of how it started. We may not get to the postseason this time.......but I like the direction we are going. They proved to themselves that they can turn it around. That is huge step for the young guys.

Steelermania
12-23-2013, 04:08 PM
This reminds me of the 2000 season.

steeldawg
12-23-2013, 04:49 PM
I think our offense is real close to being an elite unit, we are an OL spot and a receiver away. Defense well thats another story, we need some young hungry players on that side of the ball to turn this thing around.

MrPgh
12-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I think our offense is real close to being an elite unit, we are an OL spot and a receiver away. Defense well thats another story, we need some young hungry players on that side of the ball to turn this thing around.

I think the offense also needs a legit #2 TE and an OC with no ego.

The defense is going to be down for at least another year.

Edman
12-23-2013, 05:43 PM
2011 and 2012 were deflating. Watching the Steelers falter down the stretch with injuries and losing very winnable games.

2013 is the opposite. This team had a winless preseason and started out 0-4 and looked as terrible as I've ever seen the Steelers in years. We forget just how PUTRID this team has looked in September and October. They looked BAD. REALLY BAD. 2013 looked like a 5-11, 6-10 kind of year. Like many have said already, it's incredible that this team is even in consideration for the postseason, as terrible as they've looked this year.

That said, the Defense really needs to addressed in the Offseason. They have some pieces already on the team (Worilds, Heyward, Woods), but they have to dump the dead weight too.

Ziggy Hood, I defended the guy, but he's too mediocre on the Defensive Line. Keisel and Clark had themselves nice careers but their time has come. Woodley needs to go period. All that money and NOTHING.

Out of the "Young Money Crew" it turns out Antonio Brown was the only guy worth anything. Sanders is too soft. The Steelers need a legit #2 receiver opposite Brown. I hope Moye and Wheaton can step up.

Other than that, the Offense is fine as is. This team is a defense away from being a real contender again.

LLT
12-23-2013, 05:56 PM
If we can hit on our first few draft picks, it will make me feel a whole lot better. LT....CB...and WR.

GBMelBlount
12-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Aren't you more concerned about the defense than offense right now?

Dwinsgames
12-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Aren't you more concerned about the defense than offense right now?

do not be fooled with this slight of hand 0-Line .... currently we have a potentially , all pro LG playing LT IMO .... a LG who is better suited to be a RG and a RT who should be the second stringer ... they are playing over their collective heads and it is just a matter of time till it shows up ( probably when you count on them to replicate it come next September ) if we are not proactive in fixing it instead of using bandaids ...

I could be wrong but I strongly believe this to be true .....

Give me a LT , a CB, WR , TE, and NT for my Christmas in May draft

GBMelBlount
12-23-2013, 06:37 PM
do not be fooled with this slight of hand 0-Line .... currently we have a potentially , all pro LG playing LT IMO .... a LG who is better suited to be a RG and a RT who should be the second stringer ... they are playing over their collective heads and it is just a matter of time till it shows up ( probably when you count on them to replicate it come next September ) if we are not proactive in fixing it instead of using bandaids ...

I could be wrong but I strongly believe this to be true .....

Give me a LT , a CB, WR , TE, and NT for my Christmas in May draft

"Slight of hand" :chuckle:

So you think Beachum could be all pro at LG?

Seems Like LT, TE, WR are the "consensus."

I guess I am just more worried about the defense, oh well.

Dwinsgames
12-23-2013, 06:41 PM
"Slight of hand" :chuckle:

So you think Beachum could be all pro at LG?

Seems like your ideas are the "consensus."

I guess I am just more worried about the defense, oh well.

Yes I do , and he is mobile enough to pull giving us the pull from the right or the left option , something this team has not had since we had a healthy Fanaca and Simmons ( pre diabetes )

I am also concerned with the Def , and is why I included a NT and CB in the above statement :)

tihmtahm
12-24-2013, 07:27 AM
There's 2 amazing things I noticed this year... I have never seen or heard Ben lash out at his players in frustration. He doesn't stomp up and down the sidelines talking shit like some other players do! *cough* Brady, *cough* Bryant, *cough* Also, I am surprised as hell that Whimper actually made a positive difference during the season, especially after qualifying for the worst lineman in history during the preseason. I've seen better blockers on my son's flag football team than Whimper was during the preseason... Glad he turned things around for us when it mattered.

NCSteeler
12-24-2013, 07:42 AM
No matter what happens next week, whether we make the playoffs or not, I think we've watched this team mature. The experts predicted this would be a down year. Too old here, too young there. Bad chemistry between the QB and OC....the Steelers were definitely expected to be in "transition" mode. Welp, we didn't disappoint them!

But what they didn't expect was what actually happened........this woe begotten team did not quit. Their QB simply would not let them. Nobody, even the fans expected to be in the playoff hunt going into week 16.

How did they do that? Yes, we got some help from the other teams in the league ( imagine that.....it actually went our way all day.) But all the help wouldn't mean a thing if the Steelers did not win their own game. They started the season looking completely lost and unsure how to proceed with the loss of Pouncey and Foote...and then Velasco. Plax went down. The o line (again) was a shambles. I really think Ben was a huge factor in this team not panicking and helping this team build the chemistry that was absent at the beginning of the season. Going 0-4 and being the underdogs all season really, IMO, brought this team together. They took it one game at a time, some better than others, but they never gave up. What we saw yesterday, would never have happened 2 months ago.

And kudos to Coach Tomlin. He did not lose this team.

I hope the chemistry that these young guys are building returns next year....that they are getting a taste of the success that comes from hard work, that they come into training camp hungry and maybe, just maybe, we are seeing a new "band of brothers" forming that will take this team into the future.....and more championships.

Yes, I know we still have alot of problems to address in the draft and in the offseason. It's what I saw this team do during adversity this year that has impressed me....and I didn't even realize until yesterday. And I really think Ben had alot to do with it. When have you ever seen him give up? Not even when he, himself, was at his personal lowest. He picked this team up this year, and said "we can do this, follow me." And gave them confidence in themselves. That's all Big Ben...love him or hate him, he's not a quitter.

This post isn't about what went wrong this year. We already have pages and pages on that subject. It's about what went right. I see chemistry where there was none.

I am proud of what they accomplished this year...especially in light of how it started. We may not get to the postseason this time.......but I like the direction we are going. They proved to themselves that they can turn it around. That is huge step for the young guys.

Great Post Stillers!

We have a lot fo holes to fill but I do like what I see. I rag Tomlin for his gameday coaching, sometimes for his gameday prep, but I gotta give it to him. This is exactly the kind of season where a bad coach(insert Schwartz, Norv Turner here) loses his team and they mail it in. I believe Ben had a lot to do with that but I believe Tomlin had a lot to do with it also. In the process we are developing some good young locker room leaders to replace Hines and Farrior.

GoSlash27
12-24-2013, 08:25 AM
^ I'll second that. Not much I can add to the sentiment.

GBMelBlount
12-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Great Post Stillers!

We have a lot fo holes to fill but I do like what I see.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/09/09af900313d7b1f0374ccc9dc40a67d9f4a93c10189cc357b7 298c264bb26635.jpg

zulater
12-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Beachum is a legitimate NFL left tackle. I watch every play on NFL rewind 2 or 3 times paying particular attention to each memeber of the offensive line, and Beachum is the real deal in my opinion. He doesn't have ideal size, but he has a strong punch, exceptional feet, good balance, excellent awareness, and if he gets beat on a play he doesn't sulk or beat himself up. He learns from it and fights back the next play. You don't see him get beat on the same move twice in a game. Another indicator is his second game against the Ravens was stronger than his first.

We got enough needs without trying to replace a cap friendly young player fully capable of doing the job just because he isn't the ideal height for the position.

By the way Tunch Ilkin who Reggie White once said gave him about as much trouble as any tackle he faced was only 6.2, and Jon Kolb, the best left tackle in Steeler history was the same. Don;'t get pigeonholed by one measurable.

Spike
12-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Rex Ryan for Defensive Coordinator?

stranger things have happened

steelerdiva
12-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Props 2 you stillers4me....great post! :thumbsup:

Psycho Ward 86
12-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Rex Ryan for Defensive Coordinator?

stranger things have happened

LOL the awkwardness that would ensue

GBMelBlount
12-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Beachum is a legitimate NFL left tackle. I watch every play on NFL rewind 2 or 3 times paying particular attention to each memeber of the offensive line, and Beachum is the real deal in my opinion. He doesn't have ideal size, but he has a strong punch, exceptional feet, good balance, excellent awareness, and if he gets beat on a play he doesn't sulk or beat himself up. He learns from it and fights back the next play. You don't see him get beat on the same move twice in a game. Another indicator is his second game against the Ravens was stronger than his first.

We got enough needs without trying to replace a cap friendly young player fully capable of doing the job just because he isn't the ideal height for the position.

By the way Tunch Ilkin who Reggie White once said gave him about as much trouble as any tackle he faced was only 6.2, and Jon Kolb, the best left tackle in Steeler history was the same. Don;'t get pigeonholed by one measurable.

^^^^ I'm with Zupid! :clap2: