PDA

View Full Version : Haley hitting stride in 2nd season as Steelers assistant

stillers4me
12-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley went to dinner last week at The Capital Grille along with the other Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) quarterbacks. The meal was much-praised, the atmosphere relaxed and cordial. Coach Mike Tomlin anted up for a bottle of wine.

Afterward, player and coach talked about how enjoyable the evening was. So much for the theory NFL Network floated that Roethlisberger is so disgusted with Haley and the offense that he might ask to be traded during the offseason.

As his party left the Downtown restaurant, Haley found himself wondering, “Why can't we have paparazzi that follows us, so they could actually find out the truth?”

Truth is, as Haley winds down his second season as offensive coordinator in his hometown, the offense finally is growing into what he envisioned. Even if the Steelers (6-8) aren't winning as much as he expected............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5264299-74/haley-offense-roethlisberger#ixzz2oDIK2ewd

tube517
12-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Probably all writer embellishment. Haley probably ransacked the restaurant and took the $500 chairs. He and Ben probably scuffled outside while Gradkowski was pissing on the fire hydrant. Landry Jones sidekicked the towel dispenser inside and threw a glass at the waitress. Tomlin tried to stick his foot to hold the door open but decided at the last minute to pull his foot back and the door closed on Haley's face. :chuckle:

stillers4me
12-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Probably all writer embellishment. Haley probably ransacked the restaurant and took the $500 chairs. He and Ben probably scuffled outside while Gradkowski was pissing on the fire hydrant. Landry Jones sidekicked the towel dispenser inside and threw a glass at the waitress. Tomlin tried to stick his foot to hold the door open but decided at the last minute to pull his foot back and the door closed on Haley's face. :chuckle:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/uahahaha_zps0393992f.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sueincinci/media/uahahaha_zps0393992f.gif.html)

GBMelBlount
12-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Great read.

Funny thing is we were 6 & 3 right out of the gate last year and had the best 3rd down conversion rate in the nfl if I am not mistaken.

If this offensive line gets its act together and we establish the runnning game there is no reason we can't score 27-30 points / game.

stillers4me
12-22-2013, 09:14 AM
If this offensive line gets its act together and we establish the runnning game there is no reason we can't score 27-30 points / game.

And watch our defense get shredded for 40 points a game.

GBMelBlount
12-22-2013, 09:21 AM

:buttkick:

SteelerFanInStl
12-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Unfortunately that's the truth. Our defense needs major help.

stillers4me
12-22-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't think Haley is "hitting his stride". They finally took the chains off Ben. I hope they keep them off for good.

salamander
12-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Yepp, since Ben's been running the no-huddle, he's been excelling. Now the defense sucks overall.

tihmtahm
12-22-2013, 11:35 AM

LOL Don't forget the part of the evening where Tomlin stood with one foot on the curb and a foot in the street facing the opposite way of traffic, and at the last second, while a car swerved to miss him, he pulled his foot out of the way. ... Good Times!

Texasteel
12-22-2013, 11:41 AM
I don't think Haley is "hitting his stride". They finally took the chains off Ben. I hope they keep them off for good.

I just don't know anymore what Haley's contributions are. Has he hit his stride, or simply working under a gag order.

MrPgh
12-22-2013, 11:57 AM

This. Haley was a big reason why the Steelers started 0-4. It only took him half the season to realize he should let Ben run the no-huddle before they're down by three possessions.

IMO, Haley needs to go. Hire Fitchner or Wilson as the next OC. Not only would the Steelers be better off with an OC with no ego, but they'd be better off with an OC that isn't getting sued all the time.

GBMelBlount
12-22-2013, 12:12 PM
This. Haley was a big reason why the Steelers started 0-4. It only took him half the season to realize he should let Ben run the no-huddle before they're down by three possessions.

IMO, Haley needs to go. Hire Fitchner or Wilson as the next OC. Not only would the Steelers be better off with an OC with no ego, but they'd be better off with an OC that isn't getting sued all the time.

So he is a big reason we were 0-4 this year but not a big reason we were 6-3 before Ben was injured last year?

Personally I would ascribe more of the blame to the terrible offensive line and defensive play the first 4 games.

MrPgh
12-22-2013, 02:48 PM
So he is a big reason we were 0-4 this year but not a big reason we were 6-3 before Ben was injured last year?

Personally I would ascribe more of the blame to the terrible offensive line and defensive play the first 4 games.

Remember when Ben was in consideration for MVP last year? Do you remember why? It was because of his QB rating on third down. He bailed the offense out on a lot of third and long after some terrible play calling on the first two downs. An offense can't live on third down alone.

No one is arguing Haley is the only reason the team started 0-4, but he's certainly one of the bigger culprits. If they turn to the no-huddle earlier in those games and don't give defenses the chance to substitute, perhaps they give themselves a better chance to win.

GBMelBlount
12-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Remember when Ben was in consideration for MVP last year? Do you remember why? It was because of his QB rating on third down. He bailed the offense out on a lot of third and long after some terrible play calling on the first two downs. An offense can't live on third down alone.

In my mind "bailing out" would mean that our 3rd down and distance was longer than most other teams on average.

Wouldn't you agree?

Now I have no idea if that is the case but IFF it is then that is a fantastic point!

Is that type of statistic available anywhere?

MrPgh
12-22-2013, 03:10 PM
In my mind "bailing out" would mean that our 3rd down and distance was longer than most other teams on average.

Wouldn't you agree?

Now I have no idea if that is the case but IFF it is then that is a fantastic point!

Is that type of statistic available anywhere?

I don't have statistics if you're looking for them, but I do remember what I saw with my own eyes. Most of the play calling on the first two downs came across as being very conservative. I thought the Denver game in 2012 was the most egregious example of it. The first half of that game was run, run, pass. Looked like the Steelers were trying to run a 70's offense.

Haley has brought nothing to the team and his players generally don't like him. His departure would in no way hurt the Steelers.

fansince'76
12-22-2013, 03:46 PM

Bingo.

GBMelBlount
12-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Bingo.

Bingo on the Bingo.