PDA

View Full Version : Brown climbing Steeler's record book

GBMelBlount
12-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Could be a record breaking game for Sanders.

Brown enters the Steelers’ game Sunday at Green Bay (7-6-1) with 95 receptions for 1,307 yards and eight touchdowns. He and Ward, who holds the team record with 112 catches in 2002, are the only Steelers to amass more than 90 receptions in a season, while only Ward, Yancey Thigpen, John Stallworth and Plaxico Burress have had more than 1,300 receiving yards in a season.

Thigpen holds the team record for receiving yards with 1,398 in 1997, a mark Brown could break against the Packers with only an average game.

“It’s a good deal,” said Brown. “This organization is unique. It’s been going for 80-plus years. To set that standard for myself, to set that mark – I come in and challenge myself to always be better. It’s a great opportunity.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20131218/SPORTS0403/131219282#.UrT3leJdYgo

steelreserve
12-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Nah, he's overpaid. If we'd used that money to sign Wallace, he'd have at least 200 catches and 2,600 yards by now. Pfft.

GBMelBlount
12-20-2013, 10:55 PM
While we've been hamstrung by the cap it looks like the FO hit it out of the park with the Brown signing.

Brilliant move.

steelreserve
12-21-2013, 04:16 AM
While we've been hamstrung by the cap it looks like the FO hit it out of the park with the Brown signing.

Brilliant move.

For "hit it out of the park" I'd say they'd need to do the same thing but at $3M less a year. This was merely a very good job, and a smart choice keeping the right person.

Not that I'm trying to badmouth them. Overall, the Brown deal is turning out awesome for us. He's one of the very few players I've ever seen live up to an $8.5M per year deal, and then some.

Clackity-clackity-clack ... WINNER 11! That's a nice change of pace from some of our other contract gambles.

tube517
12-21-2013, 06:37 AM
Nah, he's overpaid. If we'd used that money to sign Wallace, he'd have at least 200 catches and 2,600 yards by now. Pfft.

Agreed. He's not in the decoy hall of fame either. His sideline running ruined the whole season. Wasted 6th round pick.

GBMelBlount
12-21-2013, 08:14 AM
For "hit it out of the park" I'd say they'd need to do the same thing but at $3M less a year. This was merely a very good job, and a smart choice keeping the right person.

Not that I'm trying to badmouth them. Overall, the Brown deal is turning out awesome for us. He's one of the very few players I've ever seen live up to an $8.5M per year deal, and then some.

Clackity-clackity-clack ... WINNER 11! That's a nice change of pace from some of our other contract gambles.

OK, I'll take "very good" then. lol.

Can you think of anyone else with a 5 mil or higher per year contract that has the dollars per yard average of brown?

Between his receiving and return yards (not even factoring in his 8 touchdowns) I think he is a great value so far.

steelreserve
12-21-2013, 06:28 PM
OK, I'll take "very good" then. lol.

Can you think of anyone else with a 5 mil or higher per year contract that has the dollars per yard average of brown?

Between his receiving and return yards (not even factoring in his 8 touchdowns) I think he is a great value so far.

The only player I can think of in that pay range who even comes close to that value is LeSean McCoy. (I think his rush + rec yards are actually a little more than Brown's rec + return, since he stopped returning kickoffs, and their contracts are virtually the same.)

It's definitely a short list, whether you're talking about plain yardage or their importance to the team. If they were going to pick one player on offense to pay, I'm sure glad they picked that guy.