PDA

View Full Version : Summer Christmas Holiday Mock

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2013, 03:24 AM
Its a stinking hot 40 plus degree summer leading into our southern hemisphere Christmas.

Trapped inside under an air conditioner so it is the ideal time to mock.

Here is my thought process and analysis leading into my mock.

I might need a few posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Current Roster position heading into 2014

Depth Chart for 2014

QB: Roethlisberger (15), Gradkowski (15), Jones ( 16)
RB: Bell (16), Johnson (14),
WR: Brown (17) , Wheaton (16) , Moye (15),
TE: Miller (14), Paulson (15), Spaeth (14)
OT: Adams (15), Brown (16), Gilbert (14), Beachum (15)
OG: Cheadle (15), DeCastro (15), Embernate (???), Foster (15)
OC: Pouncey (14), Snow (14),

2014 Starting O:

QB: Roethlisberger
RB: Bell
FB: Johnson
WR’s: Brown, Wheaton
TE: Miller
O Line: Beachum, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert

Obvious holes that appear on the starting Offensive Unit is a true #1 WR.Obvious holes that appear on the starting Offensive Unit is a true #1 WR. After that it is a depth and replacing expiring contracts. Tight End contracts will expire in 2014 as well as Center

- - - Updated - - -

NT: Fangupo (15), McClendon (15)
DE: Heyward (14), Williams (16), Arnfelt (14)
OLB: Carter (14), Jones (17), Woodley (16)
ILB: Foote (15), Garvin (15), Spence (15), Timmons (16), Williams (16)
CB: C.Allen (14), Blake (14), Brown (14), Green (14), Jackson (???), Taylor (14)
S: Golden (14), Polamalu (14), Thomas (16)
P/K: Suisham (14)

Starting D:

????, McClendon, Heyward
Woodley, Foote, Timmons, Jones
C. Allen, Polamalu, Golden, Taylor

Starting D has a huge hole at LDE, and after that depth is a huge issue at OLB, CB and Free safety. Expiring contracts decimate the CB ranks. This indicates to me that 2 cornerbacks will be drafted.

- - - Updated - - -

Free Agents:

QB: None
RB: Jones, Stephens-Howling, Dwyer,
WR: Sanders, Cotchery, Burress
TE: Johnson, Palmer
OT: Butler, Whimper
OG:
OC: Olsen, Velasco,Wallace, Warren (LS)
NT: Woods
DE: Hood, Keisel
OLB: Worilds, Westerman
ILB: Sylvester
CB:
S: W. Allen, Clark
P/K: McBriar

From the list of free agents the signings I would make include: Stephens- Howling (if fit), Dwyer, Cotchery, Warren ( LS), Woods, Hood, Worilds and W. Allen.

Huge holes on the roster are now at depth positions for:
Running Back, Corner Back, Outside line backer, Swing O lineman

Practice Squad:
RB: Alexander
WR: J.Brown, Moore
DE: Hall
OG: Hubbard

From the practice squad only Justin Brown (WR) and Alvester Alexander ( RB) appear worthy of a roster spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Current Mock Draft as per current conditions:

Round 1 Sammy Watkins WR Clemson 6’1 205” Junior

Watkins is the perfect #1 WR for Haleys system. Great outside WR , good in the slot and also commands serious attention whilst in motion. Great for Haleys bubble screen / end around plays as both a receiver or decoy . Antonio Brown will benefit greatly as Watkins will command serious attention. I think Watkins is the most complete receiver in this draft and much attention will go towards the taller modern NFL WR’s.

Round 2 Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech 6’0 194” Senior

Has steeler size and speed. Like what I see on film. He covers well, sticks his head in against the run, and coming from VT has special teams discipline. At this point in time I believe his speed is in the 4.4 range. If he runs outside this time he will drop. I think he is a solid corner who will have a good NFL career. Not elite but steeler solid.

Round 3 Comp CJ Fiederowicz TE Iowa 6’6 265” Senior

Do it all TE who isn’t the flashy TE that is enamouring the NFL. He is Heath Miller 2.0 ( and maybe a better run blocker at that.) Steeler TE’s are a extra OT who can release and catch in the middle when needed. Whilst everyone is concentrating on Ebron, Amaro, ASJ, CJF will go unnoticed. A bargain at this point. I could justify a round 2 pick on him.

Round 4 Tre Boston FS North Carolina 6’0 205” Senior

Sometimes when I watch film I get a gut feeling about a player. I was talking to DWINSGAMES about this. I had it with Austin Collie, I had it with Kikio Alonso, I had it with Sean Spence. Some guys just play football. Tre Boston is a Free safety who can play anywhere on the field as a safety. Boston is good deep, has good hands, a nose for the ball, puts his head in hard on tackles and can blitz. I just see a footballer and I can see him in Black and Gold.

Round 5 James White RB Wisconsin

As long as Todd Haley is the OC he is going to find a way to get another Jamaal Charles or another Dexter McCluster. He wants a fast twitch option to complement LeVeon Bell. The tape and stats don’t lie with White. He has great vision, very fast & nimble feet and he has speed to finish a run. All the steelers fans today know that once LSH got injured the steelers had no speed at RB. This year behind a typical badger line he has reeled off 1337 yards at 6.4 average on 209 attempts. Throw in 292 receiving yards at 7.9 average I think he is a great #2 RB. I will not be surprised if he goes higher.

Round 5 Comp Derrell Johnson OLB East Carolina 6’2 264” Senior

I don’t see many DE’s / OLB’s that fit the steeler draft profile,the typical 6’1 260” guy, who goes unnoticed by the 4-3 teams and is too small for most 3-4 teams. Steelers usually want a guy who can pass rush, drop in coverage but most importantly, set the edge against the run. On film he looks fast, powerful and good against the run. Has played standing up, from both sides at ECU and has a good bull rush. At this point we are sifting through coal trying to find diamonds. Polish is needed.

Round 6 Ryan Groy OG / OT Wisconsin 6’5 320” Senior

I had pencilled in before White. I was impressed by Groy’s run blocking ability, the typical badger road grader type interior lineman. Looking deeper into his body of work you find that he has also played left tackle at Wisconsin for a good period of time. Dig deeper and he has some center history and capability. I am not looking for a starter. I am looking for a player who is an upgrade over guy whimper. Along the way you notice the RB’s finishing runs behind the giant holes opened up. Hence the James White pick in round 5.

Round 7 Carrington Byndom CB Texas 6’0 185” Senior

The steelers are not very deep at CB looking at the projected 2014 roster. Curtis Brown will most likely a ycasualty come the end of the season. Why go to the well once more with a longhorn CB?? Steelers draft six foot cornerbacks. Steelers draft six foot four forty speed cornerbacks. Steelers draft six foot four forty cornerbacks who can blitz and tackle. If you scout players at the back end of the draft that fit this profile I can guarantee their aint many options. His film looks OK.

Round 7 Comp Tom Hornsey P Memphis 6’3 210”

Homer pick - Aussie punter, who is also a current Ray Guy Finalist. Australian Rules background so this guy know how to kick. 2013 season 45 yard average with a 79 yard best punt this season. Darren Bennet, Sav Rocca and Ben Graham are a couple of big kicking Aussie punters. Don’t count Hornsey out.

Sleeper pick
Chad Abram FB Florida State – a sledge hammer fullback who I could see on the roster.

Steelman
12-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Aussie, good holiday mock! Obv it's pretty early, so many variables yet to be decided at this point.

Do you think Watkins will still be avail at 12? (maybe 15 if we win out)

Dwinsgames
12-20-2013, 11:20 AM
nice mock , nice complete effort of reasoning ....

we have some players of common interest as well

good to see more people jump in the discussion ( hint hint goes out to LLT )

clearly I have more film to watch on some of your later round picks to see what I have perhaps missed ...

thanks for jumping in Aussie and spicing the place up a bit /cheers

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Aussie, good holiday mock! Obv it's pretty early, so many variables yet to be decided at this point.

Do you think Watkins will still be avail at 12? (maybe 15 if we win out)

I can see teams falling in love with physical specimens.

Kelvin Benjamin and Mike Evans are guys with huge catch radius and are going to be great red zone targets.

The modern NFL is about creating mismatches. Players like Watkins and Marquise Lee are fantastic receivers who don't quite fit the modern profile.

Through in a few QB's who are going to be over drafted, remember that you don't get stuck with huge rookie contracts now.

The draft at the moment these players could all go before Watkins ( in no particular order):

1. Bridgewater
2. Barr
3. Clowney
4. Matthews
5. Carr
6. Manziel
7. Evans
8. Benjamin
9. Mack
10. Amaro
11. Bortles
12. Nix
13. GIlbert
14. Dix
15. Ebron

So at this point, until bowl games, workouts, combine and interviews I think Watkins is the best fit for the organisation.

He is the type of player you trade up for, but I don't know if the steelers have the ammunition.

If he is gone, I would trade down and take my chances with Eric Ebron who I see as a TE / H Back / Slot receiver.

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2013, 02:10 PM
You want a sleeper???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm9_gSO8v6c

st33lersguy
12-20-2013, 02:42 PM
We do not need a no. 1 WR, we have a no. 1 WR in Brown. We need a starting LT as neither Adams nor Gilbert can play. The first round pick needs to be an OT or address the defense. With our success with WR in after the first 2 rounds we are better off getting a franchise LT and addressing the defense (preferably defensive backfield) in the first 2 rounds

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2013, 03:57 PM
We do not need a no. 1 WR, we have a no. 1 WR in Brown. We need a starting LT as neither Adams nor Gilbert can play. The first round pick needs to be an OT or address the defense. With our success with WR in after the first 2 rounds we are better off getting a franchise LT and addressing the defense (preferably defensive backfield) in the first 2 rounds

Respect your opinion, Sorry to disagree, but I will.

The steelers have huge money tied up in the Linebacker position at the moment. It is an albatross over the cap and organisation

On the O-line you have a first rounder in pouncey, two second rounders in Adams and Gilbert. Foster got his money. Beachum is the LT of this organisation for the next few years. David DeCastro and Maurkice Pouncey are going to command very good second contracts. I just don't see another high pick going to the O line. It will become the next financial albatross of this organisation.

Would I love a All-pro Left Tackle -- yes. But the steelers have shown that they are willing to run with Beachum, Whimper and even Levi Brown.

Going into 2014 you have Brown, Wheaton and Moye signed. Brown is a solid #1WR. Give him a partner of equal skills and greater size who will command attention and Brown will be phenomenal. Cotchery put up very good numbers for a run of four games until defences keyed in on him. Now his production has diminished.

I vote for WR 1a and WR 1b. Brown and Watkins would be the perfect combination. Throw in Wheaton to be your outside speedster and Moye as your redzone target you are pretty set.

I honestly believe that Ben will benefit more from a quality WR and TE more than a LT. I would take Sammy Watkins over Taylor Lewan and Cyrus Kuoandjio every day of the week.

Dwinsgames
12-20-2013, 04:15 PM

post your mock , we would like the chance to nitpick it as you have ours :chuckle:

its all in fun and what direction we would like to see the team go , anything any of us says is subjective and open to interpritation based on what we feel as individuals the strengths and weaknesses of the team moving forward ....

many believe Brown is not a true #1 even while he is putting up #1 like numbers , that is not a knock on Brown as a player in my eyes if anything it is a compliment that he is that good without the benifit of someone else taking the double coverage away at least part of the time ....

we will not all agree as we all do not have the same envision of what the Steelers should look like as a finished product and that is fine and part of what makes these discussions fun ...

we all do not see every college game either so other points of view on players is always a great thing IMO

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Antonio Brown is almost our entire Receiving corp. He has been sensational this year.

95 receptions, 1307 yards, 13.8 yds/catch, 8 touch downs.

if you look at the receivers signed for next year their current output is

102 receptions, 961 yards, 9.4 yds / catch , 1 touch down ( Miller, Bell, Wheaton)

the stats that are not signed for 2014 are:

120 receptions, 1338 yards, 11.5 yds /catch, 14 touchdowns ( Sanders, Cotchery, Jones)

Someone needs to pick up that production

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I will put my philosophy out for all to see. ( Tex and LLT know it well)

Under Colbert /Tomlin the steelers:

1. Alternate every year between O and D in the first round.

2013 - Jarvis Jones D
2012 - David DeCastro O
2011 - Cameron Heyward D
2010 - Maurkice Pouncey O
2009 - Evander Hood D
2008 - Rashard Mendenhall O
2007 - Lawrence Timmons D

OH DAMN - I better stop. They are using the DODO principle to draft

st33lersguy
12-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Respect your opinion, Sorry to disagree, but I will.

The steelers have huge money tied up in the Linebacker position at the moment. It is an albatross over the cap and organisation

On the O-line you have a first rounder in pouncey, two second rounders in Adams and Gilbert. Foster got his money. Beachum is the LT of this organisation for the next few years. David DeCastro and Maurkice Pouncey are going to command very good second contracts. I just don't see another high pick going to the O line. It will become the next financial albatross of this organisation.

Would I love a All-pro Left Tackle -- yes. But the steelers have shown that they are willing to run with Beachum, Whimper and even Levi Brown.

Going into 2014 you have Brown, Wheaton and Moye signed. Brown is a solid #1WR. Give him a partner of equal skills and greater size who will command attention and Brown will be phenomenal. Cotchery put up very good numbers for a run of four games until defences keyed in on him. Now his production has diminished.

I vote for WR 1a and WR 1b. Brown and Watkins would be the perfect combination. Throw in Wheaton to be your outside speedster and Moye as your redzone target you are pretty set.

I honestly believe that Ben will benefit more from a quality WR and TE more than a LT. I would take Sammy Watkins over Taylor Lewan and Cyrus Kuoandjio every day of the week.

OK, I do respect that opinion, I misinterpreted your "we need a no.1 WR" and that I apologize for

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2013, 05:31 PM
OK, I do respect that opinion, I misinterpreted your "we need a no.1 WR" and that I apologize for

Brown is a guy to build a franchise around at WR with Big Ben leading the way. I am glad he got the money and not Wallace.

I think you agree 100% - no need for apologies here.

We need more draft banter because I think this season is going to be over soon and the offseason is going to be messy for some.

I didn't even get into cuts that should be made??????

Worilds>>>>>Woodley
Cotchery>>>>Sanders
Stephens Howling >>>>> Jones
C.Allen>>>>>>>Ike Taylor
Supermarket turnstyle>>>>>>>Ryan Clark

Texasteel
12-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Don't mind your draft at all Aussie, and could probably have posted it for you, we know each other pretty well by now.

Sammy is my favorite WR this year. That alone mean we won't get him. He fits into your drafting philosophy well, he's talented, an offensive player, and a Jr. To be honest I think at the end of the day will be gone before we draft. I have my eye on Jared, Abbrederis, or Devin Street of Pit..

Fuller has been underrated so far, but I think he will catch a lot of attention from this point on. Will likely land right where you have him. There is another CB that I like about as much. Jaylen Watins is still flying under the radar a little, probably thanks to his two team mates. My question about him is,,,,,, will he end up playing FS in the pro. Have you gotten a chance to watch him?

Fiedorowicz, I think, would be a great pick for the Steelers, and would give us a TE tandem that would rival the one NE use to have. Thinking he may be gone before the end of the third round round. Would love him as a third round comp pick.

I would still like an OT, seems like I always do, but as usual I would like to have about five picks in the second and third rounds as well.

Love the sixth round pick. Groy may go unnoticed, and is a hell of a lineman..

As always, a good job, and I think a good draft. Wouldn't be a popular draft to some here, but would improve this team in several ways.

Thanks buddy.

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Good to talk to you Tex.

This team will have serious holes moving forward. It also has too many big contracts to sustains.

What is missing from Tomlins teams is a core of backups who played good special teams and filled situation roles when needed.

Players like Chris Hoke, Clint Kriewaldt, Chidi Iwouma, Jeremy Tuman, Lee Flowers & Earl Holmes who spent many a year on the roster, knew their role and accepted it and gained success as a result.

That is where Colbert / tomlin drafts have come up short. I am starting to believe that the biggest deficiency with the organisation is in the scouting department.

I am glad you have spotted Groy -- he is the type of pick that has been missed over the years (maybe until Beachum??)

Texasteel
12-20-2013, 08:30 PM
I think that one of the problems have be that we have been picking late round players the the team thinks could be a diamond in the rough, instead of players that they know can be plugged into a spot and contribute to making the team better. We have missed to many times. We need to draft to improve the team, and not to hope this player will make us look like geniuses.

Dwinsgames
12-20-2013, 08:45 PM
great to see this section of the forum gain some steam ....

I have not given in to the idea of keeping Pouncey , still hope we trade him to garner more picks and pray if we do we are smart enough to resign ( somehow ) Velasco ....

new mock in the works will post it up as soon as completed

as a side note I 100% agree our scouting department is in dire need of an overhaul ( well we added a few new guys this past year ) hopefully they can make an impact because they are the men who are ultimately responsible for the selections as they assemble the board we draft from under Colbert's watchful eye

Dwinsgames
12-20-2013, 10:58 PM
3rd round comp x2
5th round comp x1
Trade Pouncy for a 2nd and 5th
Trade down from 12 to 16ish adding a 3rd and 5th
Trade down from 16 to 21 adding yet another 3rd

gonna mix it up some here but still have some of my core guys from prior mocks

1) Cameron Erving , OT

2) Justin Gilbert CB

2b) Da'quan Jones NT

3a) Shayne Skov ILB

3b) Donte Moncrief WR

3c) C.J. Fedorowicz TE

3d) Josh Mauro DE exp at 5 technique

4) Stanley Jean-Baptiste FS or Tre Boston FS

5a) Ricardo Allen CB

5b) Cody Hoffman WR

5c) Spencer Long, OG/C

5d) belong to Goodell for Tomlin sideline ordeal

6) Dakota Dozier OG

7) Dri Archer difference maker .... just hard to say where this kid will be drafted , his small school status will not help him any but he may be the most explosive player in the entire draft in terms to how fast he can change the complection of a football game and he can do it in a variety of ways .... KR - PR- WR - RB and that is why I listed his pos as difference maker .... he could go as early as the 3rd round if someone falls in love or he could linger around and not even be drafted , I say if he is there this late and you do not pull the trigger on him your a fool

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2013, 11:03 PM
What is everyones opinion on the Michigan State Defence?

It has shut down nearly every offense it has faced this year.

Darqueze Dennard CB has gained all the attention and rightfully warrants first round consideration, but as a unit they have been a force.

Max Bullough (ILB) is intriguing as a Day 3 pick. He might not be a workout warrior but he has gamer written all over him.

Isiah Lewis (SS) also fits that bill as a good day 3 pick, however I think the steelers are set at SS with Troy, Will Allen and Shamarko Thomas.

What other teams with good D have you scouted??

Dwinsgames
12-20-2013, 11:14 PM

Darqueze Dennard CB has gained all the attention and rightfully warrants first round consideration, but as a unit they have been a force.

Max Bullough (ILB) is intriguing as a Day 3 pick. He might not be a workout warrior but he has gamer written all over him.

Isiah Lewis (SS) also fits that bill as a good day 3 pick, however I think the steelers are set at SS with Troy, Will Allen and Shamarko Thomas.

I do not scout teams specifically based on how well their D plays because I find its far to easy to get confused on if it is the player or the players around them ( often times a fine line ) I try and watch isolation's on the players themselves as much as humanly possible ... then you can see instinct of the player , tendencies , strengths and weaknesses etc

Bullough may very well be this years Robert Lester , a guy who does nothing but produce yet nobody wants to give him any credit because his numbers in shorts do not equate to the prototypical NFL player ... yet when he laces em up all he does is give you one solid effort after another

Seven
12-20-2013, 11:38 PM

I love Bullough.

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I have caught a few Michigan State games this year and he has always stood out to me.

The gamers at ILB in my opinion have been:

Shane Skov ( Stanford) -- wanted him before he blew his knee out
Max Bullough ( Mich State)
Andrew Jackson ( Western Kentucky) - he is the heart and sole of this team. Man amongst boys

Aussie_steeler
12-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Sorry D - missed the mock.

Love some of your picks in a big way.

If you ask Tex I like to hide some of my real pimps.

Seeing that you have named them I will verify.

Love Erving, Gilbert, Skov, Moncrieff, Fiederowicz and most of all Hoffman.

Erving is the only OT I could justify in the first outside of Matthews and at 21 that is great value. Moncrieff, Fiedorowicz and Hoffman fill all the gaps in the receiving corp.

I haven't scouted any NT's as I think they roster is fine with McClendon, Woods and Fangupo.

Love the boldness of this mock. Trade down and stock pile some picks. In order to do this Woodley / Taylor must go to create cap space.

How you ditching???

Bluecoat96
12-21-2013, 01:15 AM
Don't forget that we will also get Nik Embernate back as well next year from his ACL injury.

Aussie_steeler
12-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Don't forget that we will also get Nik Embernate back as well next year from his ACL injury.

Havent forgotten.

He has a mean streak that is going to translate well to the run game.

Not sure at the moment what his potential is to play more than guard off the bench. He will need to do more than play guard to dress game day

Galax Steeler
12-21-2013, 05:58 AM
Nice mock Aussie as always I like your take on these drafts!

Dwinsgames
12-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Sorry D - missed the mock.

Love some of your picks in a big way.

If you ask Tex I like to hide some of my real pimps.

Seeing that you have named them I will verify.

Love Erving, Gilbert, Skov, Moncrieff, Fiederowicz and most of all Hoffman.

Erving is the only OT I could justify in the first outside of Matthews and at 21 that is great value. Moncrieff, Fiedorowicz and Hoffman fill all the gaps in the receiving corp.

I haven't scouted any NT's as I think they roster is fine with McClendon, Woods and Fangupo.

Love the boldness of this mock. Trade down and stock pile some picks. In order to do this Woodley / Taylor must go to create cap space.

How you ditching???

in this scenario

Ike is a cap casualty , I also am consider Mclendon ( unless they feel strongly enough in his ability to move to end ) he does not demand the double team and teams have come to realize this and it hurts our front thus the rest of the scheme because the attack they edges of our def tying up our pass rushers in the traffic ....

Still not sure what the best move is with Woodley and since I did not mock to replace his roster spot what happens with Worilds will determine Woodley's fate .... may try a new deal with Woodley ( old one gets tore up no bonus he got enough of that extend him incorporating all the dead money and reducing his salary across the board for the life of the contract so it is not only more manageable but makes him more cutable in 2 years without major backlash on the cap ) he probably won't go for it but I think you have to at the very least try it

Troy would be offered a new deal in the form of a 1 year extension spreading out his current deal over 2 years with little to no additional money involved lowering his cap hit , he may be insulted but that is a chance I am willing to take ...

no offer to Clark to return , a modest offer to Allen for 1 year , same with Dwyer and LSH (vet min )

Al Woods 3 years 6 million offer to stay as well ....

Velasco also gets an offer 4 years 15 mill , if he stays I got a deal , if he walks I find comfort in regards that I did not over pay and bring back Golic for another look in TC and a few others to compete with Wallace ( who I lock away in the weight room and forget about for a few months )

Sanders is also gone without an offer ....

put up or shut up year for Carter as well ....

Foster gets competition in TC from Long , Dozier and Beachum , if Foster loses that battle he is cut as well

there is more but on a few hours sleep mind just is not working yet lol

Shoes
12-21-2013, 10:28 AM
This is fun stuff, nice work Aussie! I like Dwins idea on trading Pouncey for a few picks. There didn't seem to be any drop off in protection when Velasco and Wallace took the plow in hand. Pouncey seems to be on the same injury trail as Woodley.

SteelerFanInStl
12-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Keep up the good work guys! I love reading this stuff. For me the draft is one of the most exciting times of the year.

I'm not a huge college football follower outside of Mizzou but I watch my fair share of games. A lot of these players are "new" to me so I like finding out more about them.

Aussie_steeler
12-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Bowl games start today.

For me this is a peak period because I get see teams for the first time.

USC v Fresno State at the moment. ( Marquise Lee is intriguing ---- not sure about his true value at the moment. He is sitting right around the steelers draft position)

Aussie_steeler
12-21-2013, 03:09 PM
I heard a stat this week where by the steelers only give up 2.2 yards per play up the middle in run defence.

The explosive plays, 20 yards plus are being given up between the guard and tackles. This indicates that it is the second level that is being shredded, ILB in wrong spot, Troy gambling or Ryan Clark being exposed as what he really is today (done)

McClendon is solid, not Hampton stout. I think he is serviceable and decent value.

Chidi29
12-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Good stuff Aussie. I'll comb through it more in-depth later. Big fan of Billy Turner too in the two games I've seen of him. Haven't watched him against KSU yet. Excited to see him against D-I competition.

Aussie_steeler
12-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Good stuff Aussie. I'll comb through it more in-depth later. Big fan of Billy Turner too in the two games I've seen of him. Haven't watched him against KSU yet. Excited to see him against D-I competition.

:drink:

Thanks Chidi.

Turner might not tear up the combine like Terron Armstead last year, but he has some seriously quick feet. Over the next few months he is seriously going to climb the boards.

Still cant get my head around where Colbert goes with replacing Ryan Clark.

If you go into 2014 with Polamalu, Allen, Thomas and Golden they are all going to make the 53. Probably no point signing a FS if that is the scenario.

Chidi29
12-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Two quick notes.

Don't know for sure but Embernate should be a 3 year deal like almost all, if not all, UDFAs.

And who is Jackson at DB? Am I missing someone?

- - - Updated - - -

:drink:

Thanks Chidi.

Turner might not tear up the combine like Terron Armstead last year, but he has some seriously quick feet. Over the next few months he is seriously going to climb the boards.

Still cant get my head around where Colbert goes with replacing Ryan Clark.

If you go into 2014 with Polamalu, Allen, Thomas and Golden they are all going to make the 53. Probably no point signing a FS if that is the scenario.

No, I don't see Turner running in the low 4.7 but he will be a sub 5 lineman. And the tape tells me what I need to know how athletic he is. Very. And explosive out of his stance.

Guessing Thomas/Allen will fill Clark's spot. Let young vs old battle in camp.

Aussie_steeler
12-24-2013, 02:44 AM
Two quick notes.

Don't know for sure but Embernate should be a 3 year deal like almost all, if not all, UDFAs.

And who is Jackson at DB? Am I missing someone?

Thanks Chidi.

Couldn't find exact contract details on Embernate. Three years would be correct

Buddy Jackson was signed to the roster for a week or two, when Curtis Brown was sent to the IR. I am guessing he was cut in the time between drafting the mock and posting here. As per Steelers.com he is no longer listed on the roster.

Chidi29
12-24-2013, 03:50 AM
I could have sworn Jackson was signed in camp when the team had all their secondary injuries. Not when Brown went to IR.

Aussie_steeler
12-24-2013, 04:41 AM
I could have sworn Jackson was signed in camp when the team had all their secondary injuries. Not when Brown went to IR.

You are correct Sir

Buddy Jackson August: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/01/steelers-awarded-cb-buddy-jackson-on-waivers/

Brandon Jones: December

Looks like the salary cap site I was using still had Jackson listed.

It certainly has been a merry go round this year at CB with Jackson, Jones, Van Dyke, Devin Smith...... I have lost track