PDA

View Full Version : Garvin Fine

Moose
12-18-2013, 05:21 PM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The NFL fined Steelers’ rookie linebacker Terence Garvin $25,000 for a block he threw on Cincinnati punter Kevin Huber that broke his jaw last Sunday. The block helped spring Antonio Brown to a 67-yard touchdown return.

Garvin makes just short of $24,000 weekly with his rookie minimum salary.

Although punters wear the same uniforms as their teammates, they are afforded special protection under NFL rules.

“Huber, he’s a punter. And the key is he’s defenseless throughout the down,” Dean Blandino, who supervises NFL officials, told the NFL Network. “So even though he’s pursuing the play, he still gets defenseless-player protection. You can’t hit him in the head or neck, and you can’t use the crown or forehead parts of the helmet to the body.”

Garvin explained his actions on the punt return.

“Actually, I fell on the play, I got up, I saw a color and I saw A.B. coming towards me. I said I have to try to help him break on this play. I was just trying to do what I could to help him break the play.”

Of punters, Garvin said, “They’re part of the team, they’re on the field, they can make plays the same way everybody else can make plays.”

Get unlimited digital access - web, mobile, tablet, apps and more.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/18/Steelers-rookie-fined-25-000-for-block/stories/201312180134#ixzz2ns5ZxDSF

Count Steeler
12-18-2013, 05:22 PM
$25,000 for the first fine? That doesn't sound right. Nor does it sound right that he was fined at all.

Moose
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Pure BS ! I think it' time to just go ahead and make the uniforms pink for all QBs and punters/kickers, or 'turtleise' them, meaning as soon as the punter/kicker kick the ball they have to lay down on the ground so other players won't mistake them for players in the play.

GBMelBlount
12-18-2013, 05:29 PM
$25,000 for the first fine? That doesn't sound right. Nor does it sound right that he was fined at all.

At least they're consistent about being inconsistent.

Dwinsgames
12-18-2013, 05:30 PM
$405,000 is his season wages ..... so 6% of his total income is the fine for 1 play , with no prior fine history ?? are you freaking kidding me

not sure where Mr Ed is getting his numbers

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/terence-garvin/

X-Terminator
12-18-2013, 05:34 PM
He got a bigger fine because Huber was injured on the play. It isn't any less bullshit, though. If the punter isn't allowed to be hit, then he should get the hell off the field after the punt and shouldn't be allowed to tackle the returner.

Dwinsgames
12-18-2013, 05:37 PM
He got a bigger fine because Huber was injured on the play. It isn't any less bullshit, though. If the punter isn't allowed to be hit, then he should get the hell off the field after the punt and shouldn't be allowed to tackle the returner.

or effect the play in any manner once the kicking motion is over ....

the way this blowhard explains/ interprets the rule teams will now fake punt on every 4th and less than 5

Spike
12-18-2013, 05:44 PM
$25,000: Pretty steep for a rookie - the Rooney's should pay that

GBMelBlount
12-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Rooneys are broke from "payin da refs".

SteelMember
12-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Radio saying he makes 24000 per game.... So he basically paid 1000 to play last week. Ouch.

fansince'76
12-18-2013, 07:05 PM
So where was Mario Harvey's fine for blowing up Jon Ryan? After all, per the rule, Ryan was defenseless and it looked like he hit him pretty high to me.

http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/mario-harvey-hits-jon-ryan.jpg

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3343919/punterclobber_medium.gif

Oh, that's right - there weren't a bunch of pussies collectively whining, bitching and crying about it for days afterward in the media. My bad. :coffee:

Dwinsgames
12-18-2013, 07:09 PM
So where was Mario Harvey's fine for blowing up Jon Ryan? After all, per the rule, Ryan was defenseless and it looked like he hit him pretty high to me.

Oh, that's right - there weren't a bunch of pussies collectively whining, bitching and crying about it for days afterward in the media. My bad. :coffee:

almost the same hit really except Harvey left his feet ( considered a launch by today's rules )

SteelerFanInStl
12-18-2013, 07:09 PM
So where was Mario Harvey's fine for blowing up Jon Ryan? After all, per the rule, Ryan was defenseless.

Was that from this year? And he didn't get fined? If that's true then that just pisses me off even more for this bullshit.

fansince'76
12-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Was that from this year? And he didn't get fined? If that's true then that just pisses me off even more for this bullshit.

Yeah, it was from the Colts/Seahawks game in October. Of course, no media outrage = no fine, as usual.

ALLD
12-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Steelers are always under a microscope. Would not be surprised to see the Steelers fined next time James Harrison draws a personal foul.

Shoes
12-18-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't think it will take too many more years before I stop watching whats left of football.

GBMelBlount
12-18-2013, 07:17 PM
This is what happens when attorneys get involved.

fansince'76
12-18-2013, 07:17 PM
I don't think it will take too many more years before I stop watching whats left of football.

Me neither. I'm only still around because of the Steelers. And at some point, that's not even going to be enough. I'm thinking I'll probably tune out completely once the last of the "old guard" (Troy, Ben, Keisel, etc.) moves on.

SteelerFanInStl
12-18-2013, 07:20 PM

I'm about down to my last straw and I've been a huge NFL fan for almost 40 years.

tube517
12-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Me neither. I'm only still around because of the Steelers. And at some point, that's not even going to be enough. I'm thinking I'll probably tune out completely once the last of the "old guard" (Troy, Ben, Keisel, etc.) moves on.

I'm about down to my last straw and I've been a huge NFL fan for almost 40 years.

THIS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
12-18-2013, 08:01 PM
I posted that above gif on another forum where a dumbass has been whining about the Garvin hit and he said that it's "not even close to the same hit". People are just stupid.

steelerdude15
12-18-2013, 08:03 PM
I do not agree with him being fined. Plus, twenty-five grand is a little steep for a first time offender if you ask me.

fansince'76
12-18-2013, 08:07 PM
I posted that above gif on another forum where a dumbass has been whining about the Garvin hit and he said that it's "not even close to the same hit".

Actually, they're right. Garvin didn't launch himself into Huber...

86WARD
12-18-2013, 08:09 PM

Which is TOTALLY how a fine should NOT be assessed. He's being fined for the result of the hit and not the actual penalty.

salamander
12-18-2013, 08:16 PM
We've been down this road before. Fuck Goodell.

SteelerFanInStl
12-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Actually, they're right. Garvin didn't launch himself into Huber...

Which is exactly what I told him. Harvey's hit was more helmet to helmet as Garvin came in at the chest.

tihmtahm
12-18-2013, 09:42 PM
At least they're consistent about being inconsistent.

They are most definitely not inconsistent... They are very consistent about the way thay fine the Steelers players for bullshit!

zulater
12-18-2013, 09:50 PM
can he or is he going to appeal?

Dwinsgames
12-18-2013, 09:55 PM
can he or is he going to appeal?

he can and probably will , but have not read anything stating his intentions as of yet

zulater
12-18-2013, 09:56 PM
$405,000 is his season wages ..... so 6% of his total income is the fine for 1 play , with no prior fine history ?? are you freaking kidding me

not sure where Mr Ed is getting his numbers

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/terence-garvin/

He hasn't been on the roster all year has he? So has he really made that has he?

GBMelBlount
12-18-2013, 10:34 PM
They are most definitely not inconsistent... They are very consistent about the way thay fine the Steelers players for bullshit!

Isn't that the truth! :applaudit:

Devilsdancefloor
12-18-2013, 10:51 PM
huber knowsit is a football play he put the damn pic of the hit for his twitter avatar. this is such bullshit

zulater
12-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Garvin's fine is $1,200 more than his weekly paycheck of $23,800, but he will appeal because, under the NFL labor agreement, a player cannot be fined more than one-quarter of his weekly wage. Appealing is expected to trim Garvin's penalty to approximately $6,000.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5264368-74/garvin-nfl-hit#ixzz2ntVOYeDI
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

The league issued an illegal fine as per the CBA. Someone in the league office needs to be fined and suspended.

zulater
12-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Suisham doesn't consider himself to be a “defenseless” player on any kick, as evidenced by his two tackles and two assists.

“You're not defenseless when you put yourself in position to try to make a tackle,” he said. “Playing this game is difficult. It's a violent game. Certainly watching the clip with Kevin getting hit like that … I hate to see him be hurt like that. But football is a dangerous game. Those guys are big, strong and fast, and it hurts.”

Multiple Steelers players rushed to Garvin's defense, saying plays take place at such high speed it is almost impossible to determine whether a player racing downfield is a kicker or punter. Jersey numbers cannot be picked out, and they look only for a player in a different color jersey.

“Everybody is out there wearing a helmet. Everybody is moving fast and you just react and hit,” safety Shamarko Thomas said. “The jerseys are moving fast. You're trying to help your player out, and anything can happen.”

Linebacker Stevenson Sylvester said, “The speed we play this game at, it's hard to dictate how to block somebody.”

Garvin is an undrafted rookie free agent from West Virginia whose career is week-to-week, like many players without long-term contracts. To such players, it's hit first and think later.

“I wasn't out there trying to be vicious or anything like that,” Garvin said. “I'm just trying to do what I can to make a play and help my team out. When you're in a game, you're trying to make a play, and that's all I'm thinking about.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5264368-74/garvin-nfl-hit#ixzz2ntX0SBAR

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2013, 01:48 AM
Garvin's fine is $1,200 more than his weekly paycheck of $23,800, but he will appeal because, under the NFL labor agreement, a player cannot be fined more than one-quarter of his weekly wage. Appealing is expected to trim Garvin's penalty to approximately $6,000.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5264368-74/garvin-nfl-hit#ixzz2ntVOYeDI

The league issued an illegal fine as per the CBA. Someone in the league office needs to be fined and suspended.

lol epic fail

Steelman
12-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Wow, the league was so up in arms about fining a Steelers player they didn't even read the CBA? If I was Garvin, I'd appeal and then sue for wrongful conduct or something.

This league is getting so stupid.

fansince'76
12-19-2013, 09:14 AM

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Goodell_zps5a4b6dfc.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/Goodell_zps5a4b6dfc.jpg.html)

Dwinsgames
12-19-2013, 09:28 AM
all these figures on what his weekly pay is and none of them match , where are they getting their numbers out of thin air ?

zulater
12-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Wonder if the douchebags over at PFT will pick up on the league illegal fine.

fansince'76
12-19-2013, 09:44 AM
all these figures on what his weekly pay is and none of them match , where are they getting their numbers out of thin air ?

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y376/traderivar/Various/monkey-darts.jpg

zulater
12-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Regardless, the league's fine clearly exceeded the maximum allowable fine as per the CBA. I mean they could have even modified the fine with a statement such as the fine is 25,000, but in accordance with the CBA which allows a maximum fine of 1/4 of a players game check for an in game instance the fine will be xxxx.

The way they did it suggests they're in such a rush to fine players for cases that received public notoriety that they don't even bother to follow the rules in applying discipline. That they would need such a rule to exercise commons sense tells you a lot about the league office.

Dwinsgames
12-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Regardless, the league's fine clearly exceeded the maximum allowable fine as per the CBA. I mean they could have even modified the fine with a statement such as the fine is 25,000, but in accordance with the CBA which allows a maximum fine of 1/4 of a players game check for an in game instance the fine will be xxxx.

The way they did it suggests they're in such a rush to fine players for cases that received public notoriety that they don't even bother to follow the rules in applying discipline. That they would need such a rule to exercise commons sense tells you a lot about the league office.

well it only reinforces what we already knew about the league offices , anyone that did not already know this was either not paying attention or hiding under a rock someplace .... but yea I get your point

Steeldude
12-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Someone should start an online petition stating how displeased fans have become with Goodell and the way the NFL has changed. I think that petition would be filled rather quickly.

I have said it before, this is the perfect time for a group of millionaires/billionaires to start a pro football league. In the past it didn't succeed because of the strength of the NFL, but now it seems to be weakening.

steeldawg
12-20-2013, 05:44 AM
That's What we should use lamar Woodley for! He can pay the fines, might as well get some use out of that contract.

steeldawg
12-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Someone should start an online petition stating how displeased fans have become with Goodell and the way the NFL has changed. I think that petition would be filled rather quickly.

I have said it before, this is the perfect time for a group of millionaires/billionaires to start a pro football league. In the past it didn't succeed because of the strength of the NFL, but now it seems to be weakening.

The NFL is one the most largest and most popular entertainment entities on the planet, trying to compete against them would be suicide. Despite the rule changes the nfl's popularity continues to grow and will continue to grow. A petition would be a waste of time because goodell is employed by the owners and they are going to listen to the results rather than a petition.

touchdownward
12-20-2013, 06:50 AM
The NFFL- National Flag Football League.

tihmtahm
12-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Does anybody seriously know who the NFL's front office has to answer to? I mean, they are all about upholding the rules and not tarnishing the NFL shield, but what happens when they themselves clearly violate the rules?

zulater
12-20-2013, 10:53 AM
The NFL is one the most largest and most popular entertainment entities on the planet, trying to compete against them would be suicide. Despite the rule changes the nfl's popularity continues to grow and will continue to grow. A petition would be a waste of time because goodell is employed by the owners and they are going to listen to the results rather than a petition.

The last serious challenger to the NFL was the USFL. And that failed because of Donald Trump's arrogance. I think a well run spring league that was willing to sign players right out of high school could gain traction with the fans.

Shoes
12-20-2013, 11:15 AM
I honestly don't know how anyone could be a fan of what is happening in the NFL. I suppose the fans could start the ball rolling by not showing up on game day nation wide.

Dwinsgames
12-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I honestly don't know how anyone could be a fan of what is happening in the NFL. I suppose the fans could start the ball rolling by not showing up on game day nation wide.

that would take a few years to have a dramatic effect as many teams are sold out seasons in advance and the network deals are in place as well giving them plenty of money to maneuver through a slow period that does not have staying power ....

it has to be more than just boycott a few weeks worth of games by some of the fans ...

no jersey or game memorabilia sales for a solid year , no people in the stands ,no parking fees paid , no vendors sales at the stadiums , no tv viewing so sponsors cut and run ...

no way it happens , the problem is for every person who stops watching the watered down version of this game 2 more people are born that will watch it ... the league does not care who pays the bills as long as the bills are paid and society is all about high scoring , high flying offenses that it could care less who is ( or even if there is ) a defense ......

I liken it to liberalism all they want to do is spend spend spend without ever a thought about where the money is coming from , they want you to give give give when it comes to what you consider toleration but do not want to tolerate your beliefs ... its the same damn thing

GBMelBlount
12-20-2013, 01:13 PM
http://homelesszombie.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/herr-goodell.jpg

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2013, 06:10 PM

The problem is that the typical "fan" of today is the idiot that you see whining on the public forums about the hits. These "fans" only care about scoring and would be ecstatic to watch two teams pass the ball up and down the field and score 100 points.

tube517
12-20-2013, 07:06 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Goodell_zps5a4b6dfc.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/Goodell_zps5a4b6dfc.jpg.html)

:rofl2:

Butch
12-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Just curious has there been any change in the fine? Is it even being appealed?

Funny how a player hitting another player in an opposing uniform is supposed to have the judgement to know the guy he is hitting is a punter, yet the refs who have everything in front of them and all the time in the world to get a call right and can't do it.

Not just in the KC game look at how badly they butchered the Greenbay v Steelers game just a week earlier.

touchdownward
12-31-2013, 09:59 PM
If your going to get fined for busting an opposing players ass (legal as it was), then kickers need to run off the field after they kick the ball and not be involved in the play. A total bullshit fine imo. I'm going to really be pissed if it costs us a draft pick.