PDA

View Full Version : Change overtakes Steelers' AFC North

stillers4me
12-14-2013, 08:02 AM
The Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals play a nationally televised game Sunday night at Heinz Field, and those in attendance and watching at home are going to think they're in the Bizarro World.

One team can clinch a playoff berth for the third consecutive season and for the fourth time in the past five years. The other team's season was pretty much over at the end of September.

For years, the Steelers were gearing up for playoff runs in December while the Bengals were playing out the string, but the roles are reversed this year.

After years of chasing the Steelers in the AFC North Division and the old AFC Central, the Bengals are now the top cats in the division........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/12/14/Change-overtakes-Steelers-AFC-North/stories/201312140105#ixzz2nSRUj1Oo

st33lersguy
12-14-2013, 09:34 AM
I have really been impressed with how the Bengals have improved over the past few years.

fansince'76
12-14-2013, 10:06 AM
I have really been impressed with how the Bengals have improved over the past few years.

Considering how many times they've had a top 5-10 pick, wasn't it about time?

Now let's see if they can actually win a playoff game for the first time since Bush I was in office. They do still have Howdy Doody under center, you know...

Crow-Magnon
12-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Draft picks are the big reason, and Marvin Lewis is not that bad of an HC. Just think how dangerous they could have been all these years with better ownership. Which no franchise knows better than Pittsburgh.

Baltimore has had excellent ownership with Modell and now Bisciotti, who basically hire good HC's and GM's, and stay out of the limelight and the coach's way. Can't really say that about Cincinnati as a general rule.

GBMelBlount
12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Draft picks are the big reason, and Marvin Lewis is not that bad of an HC. Just think how dangerous they could have been all these years with better ownership. Which no franchise knows better than Pittsburgh.

Baltimore has had excellent ownership with Modell and now Bisciotti, who basically hire good HC's and GM's, and stay out of the limelight and the coach's way. Can't really say that about Cincinnati as a general rule.

So you think Cincy does too much Jerry Jones'ing? :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
12-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Wasnt it reported a couple of years ago that mike brown and Lewis had a "chat" when Lewis's contract was going to be extended? I thought Marvin asked for more say and control over personnel. I don't think that Mike Brown just magically started sucking less as a GM. I don't think it's a stretch to think that the actual consistency we now see from Cincy is a result of Lewis being able to assemble more of the team HE wants.

st33lersguy
12-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I guess some things just don't change

Moose
12-16-2013, 10:57 AM
I can't believe yet that the AFC North reigns have changed. True this year the bunholes are at top ( for now), but only because the Steeler's had a rough beginning season. They are in transition last year and this year. The ratbirds pretty much the same situation. So, that leaves the bungholes, who only have to play decent ball, can grab the top spot. But, comes play off time the bungholes will be one and done. They have decent talent, but unlike the Steeler's and ratbirds, they have NO coaching quality. The bungholes have a head coach who has been there 11 yrs and not one play off win. Pathetic. That alone tells you he doesn't have a clue. And that also tells you the F.O. doesn't have a clue or they would have fired his sorry ass years ago. Year after year, for years, they have had top draft picks.....where are they now ? Dalton isn't a NFL QB in my book. He won't go anywhere, or take them anywhere. Just my opinion. Cleveland ? Getting better, but still Cleveland. So, I think it's still a Steeler and ratbird division, maybe not this year....we're just reloading, but I think the future is still our's. GO STEELERS