PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Cutting down turnovers, sacks hasn't led to victories

stillers4me
12-13-2013, 05:44 AM
The Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) were badly troubled by sacks (15) and turnovers (11) while going 0-4, two problems that have lessened as the season has progressed.

“That hasn't been without obstacles, injuries and significant lineup changes, so we've been able to overcome a bunch of that and continue to make progress,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said. “It hasn't translated to wins, which this is all about, but I think there's been enough increase in production in most areas to feel good about what the guys are doing.”.........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5226065-74/steelers-hasn-think#ixzz2nM2PkX60

Count Steeler
12-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Yeah, as the offense has improved, the defense has taken up being spectators as a hobby.

Edman
12-15-2013, 12:04 PM
The team has failed miserably at situational football and that is why they are losing.

Offense has improved, but when up 28-24 with a shot to put the game away, they failed. The Defense subsequently collapses. Manny Sanders dropping a two point conversion the week before.

It's the little things this team is failing to accomplish which is leading to losses. Instead of sucking all the time, they suck at the worst possible times.

Winning Football isn't being great all the time, it's being great when you have to be. This team has failed in that aspect, which is why they are staring at the first losing season in Pittsburgh in 11 years.

Dwinsgames
12-15-2013, 12:20 PM
we have failed as a team at playing better than our opponent more often than not and it has shown up in the final score and the win loss column ....

sometimes you just have to admit your team is not as talented as most other teams and once you come to that point you have a much easier time appreciating what they have been able to do and that is for the most part be competitive with an under equipped roster ... and a coaching staff that makes many mistakes

improve the over all talent level of the team and you will improve in the win / loss column .......

kind of like bowling take care of the spares and the strikes will take care of themselves

we have some play makers that at times can make us seem better than we are esp if we get a few bounces to go our way but do not let this sort of thing fool you its not those plays that define who you are , it is the normal everyday plays that define a football team because every team has highlight reals ... its like evaluation of a draft prospect you cant watch just the highlight reals because those plays are always going to make a player look great , yes it does give you some idea of what they are capable of on the high end but it does not show you the whole picture , little things mean a lot .... details are important ....

this team needs more talent on both sides of the football

ALLD
12-15-2013, 02:31 PM
I swear I saw Ike Taylor in the stands on a 3rd and long against the Fins.

GBMelBlount
12-15-2013, 03:01 PM
we have failed as a team at playing better than our opponent more often than not and it has shown up in the final score and the win loss column ....

Especially in the 4th quarter.

Three or five years ago I always had confidence in the players on the field to collectively find a way to win in the clutch.

Now I think we are on the losing end of these close matches more often than not.