PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu finds himself in a tough position

Psycho Ward 86
12-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Can you imagine Terrell Suggs playing strong safety not long after being named Defensive Player of the Year?

Or even J.J. Watt lining up at cornerback?

What about Charles Woodson at nose tackle?

Seems about as silly as having a finally healthy, barely-over-200-pound, 32-year-old Troy Polamalu play inside linebacker three years after being named the best defensive player in the league at a strong safety position that he revolutionized.

Now, what very well could be the last go-around for Polamalu with the Steelers as he could be a salary cap casualty in March, it's coming at a position that he has rarely played before and is grossly undersized to be truly effective.

As a strong safety, Polamalu is an All-Pro.

As an inside linebacker, he's not.

Playing both is taxing.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5242784-74/polamalu-linebacker-safety#ixzz2nKEFDk00

Seven
12-12-2013, 11:30 PM
What is going on with Vince Williams?

steelreserve
12-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Well, we've got 3 safeties and only one ILB who is any good, so you get your best players on the field. Probably more of a problem than any "position change" is that Troy is not quite fast enough to do the things he used to anymore. When he was at his best, you could argue he didn't even have a position, and didn't need to.

If he's less effective as a LB now, he's also been less effective for years whenever we've used him strictly in the secondary instead of the wildcard role. That's always been what he does best - just a football player.

Steeldude
12-12-2013, 11:41 PM

He's probably too slow to be a 3-down ILB. If you think about it the Steelers didn't really have a decent LILB on the roster the entire year. Spence's injury was a huge setback.

Dwinsgames
12-13-2013, 12:13 AM
He's probably too slow to be a 3-down ILB. If you think about it the Steelers didn't really have a decent LILB on the roster the entire year. Spence's injury was a huge setback.

and the jury is out on whether he is truly a 3 down ILB in the 3-4 too , I have always though him as being a bit light to hold up but we may never know

blackngldblood
12-13-2013, 03:40 AM
One Pittsburgh media guy said that if the draft was today, CB or ILB would be first likely picks. So yeah, this teams hurting in the ILB department. Any good ones coming out early this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Dwinsgames
12-13-2013, 10:44 AM
One Pittsburgh media guy said that if the draft was today, CB or ILB would be first likely picks. So yeah, this teams hurting in the ILB department. Any good ones coming out early this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

have a look at the draft section of the forum

steelreserve
12-13-2013, 12:05 PM

That's a bunch of bullshit. Everyone knows we only take pass rushers and linemen with our first two picks. That's all we've done for five years. Which explains why we get no pressure on the QB, and both the offensive and defensive lines suck. Or ... wait. I think I got that backwards. Wait, no I didn't.

Psycho Ward 86
12-13-2013, 01:12 PM

he's a 6th round pick and plays like one is what happened. poor guy just got hit in the face full speed ahead. i feel for the guy, really

Delraich
12-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Carnell Lake....

Seven
12-14-2013, 03:41 AM
he's a 6th round pick and plays like one is what happened. poor guy just got hit in the face full speed ahead. i feel for the guy, really

So he's not suffering from any type of injury whatsoever, they're literally just playing Polamalu on the inside over a healthy Williams?

GBMelBlount
12-14-2013, 08:07 AM
That's a bunch of bullshit. Everyone knows we only take pass rushers and linemen with our first two picks. That's all we've done for five years. Which explains why we get no pressure on the QB, and both the offensive and defensive lines suck. Or ... wait. I think I got that backwards. Wait, no I didn't.

I am hoping with another year of development this line could be downright dominant.

Otherwise it sure looks like we have picked some duds.

Regardless, because it may take another year to determine where the line is I think we need to focus on defense this year unless their is a steal at TE / WR .

Psycho Ward 86
12-14-2013, 12:54 PM
So he's not suffering from any type of injury whatsoever, they're literally just playing Polamalu on the inside over a healthy Williams?

your guess is as good as mine lol. i was just saying i dont expect a 6th round pick to do well in his rookie year in this defense. Or actually have to start for that matter

steelreserve
12-14-2013, 05:41 PM
I am hoping with another year of development this line could be downright dominant.

Otherwise it sure looks like we have picked some duds.

Regardless, because it may take another year to determine where the line is I think we need to focus on defense this year unless their is a steal at TE / WR .

I think the problem is more like there hasn't been any development and isn't going to be, owing to the fact that the coaching at those positions is piss-poor. The players themselves might be fine. We may never find out.

I'd really like to see us get an elite DB or NT this year if there is one available. The good ones tend to be gone by about the 12th or 15th pick, and this is one of the rare years we may be in position to grab one. Even if we have to trade up to like #9 or something, if we could get the equivalent of, like, B.J. Raji, it would be worth it. Problem is, I don't know if there is anyone like that available this year. Maybe that guy from Notre Dame, but I think he got hurt pretty badly, so who knows.