PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin potential Texas Longhorns candidate

Bluecoat96
12-11-2013, 12:19 PM

I always knew Florio was a hack, but this is a new low for him....literally making up shit as he goes.(more than usual)

salamander
12-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah, because two high profile NFL coaches are going to ditch their NFL jobs for a college job.

venom
12-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Well, this is getting interesting. Amid numerous reports that Alabama head coach Nick Saban is a legitimate candidate for the Texas Longhorns head coaching gig, which is expected to open later this week after Mack Brown resigns, there are a number of other big name candidates in the mix.

According to Chip Brown of OrangeBloods.com, one of the candidates for the Longhorns gig is Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin.

Brown included Tomlin among the list of potential names on FOX Sports Live:

http://fansided.com/2013/12/10/report-mike-tomlin-potential-texas-longhorns-candidate/

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 12:58 PM
cool , maybe he takes the gig ?

LOL not a chance unless he gets walking papers from Art prior to them making a hire

His biggest asset to the longhorns is he would be a recruiting MONSTER . his charisma and cliche would mesmerize these young prospects while the dazzle from 2 superbowl rings would glimmer in their eyes

Mojouw
12-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Fairly ridiculous article. My insider sources at Texas indicated that the resurrected Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, and Bear Bryant have all been mentioned as possible candidates. Additionally there are rumors that the University of Texas Genetics department is hard at work on a clone of Bill Bellicheck. Although my sources are not sure that the AD and boosters support the hire of clone Belicheck because it is feared he would attempt to field a team of all 1 and 2 star recruits supplemented by upperclassmen walk-ons.

Spike
12-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Has anyone asked Saban if he wants the Steelers job?

one side only
12-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Too good to be true.

steelreserve
12-11-2013, 02:20 PM

LOL not a chance unless he gets walking papers from Art prior to them making a hire

His biggest asset to the longhorns is he would be a recruiting MONSTER . his charisma and cliche would mesmerize these young prospects while the dazzle from 2 superbowl rings would glimmer in their eyes

Do they give you a ring for losing the Super Bowl? Or did he pick up one somewhere else? I can't remember.

Whichever it is, I think it would be hilarious if they gave a Super Bowl losers' ring. Along with T-shirts in the locker room postgame. Like this design from several years ago:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/capt_taco/shirt5.jpg

one side only
12-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Tomlin has 2 rings, one with Tampa, one with the Steelers. Don't doubt Dwins!

tube517
12-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Casey Hampton met Tomlin at a buffet to make the pitch for Texas. Then he ate some more and more

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

steelreserve
12-11-2013, 02:30 PM
ah, OK, I didn't know if that was when he was in Tampa, but it makes sense.

That Super Bowl sucked, by the way.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I can almost hear Tomlin telling recruits " I will take you to the promised land "

but seriously folks I wouldn't take this to heart , I highly doubt he would give it any real consideration , not many coaches look to make a leap backwards ( but some do ) anyways

steelreserve
12-11-2013, 03:06 PM
If he knows his ass is in hot water, or he's in a tough situation with no easy path out, maybe he'd see something like this as an opportunity to stay in a head coaching job instead of getting fired a year from now or having to take a coordinator job somewhere in the NFL. Who knows, they might even offer more money. Wouldn't count on it, like you said, but you never know.

blackngldblood
12-11-2013, 03:28 PM
There's a conspiracy theory out there that ARII is trying to run Tomlin and Ben off to hand the reigns over to Hailey and Jones. Hahahahahahahahahahahahah! Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh boy, that's rich!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

X-Terminator
12-11-2013, 05:08 PM
It's not going to happen, so put it back in your pants!

smokin3000gt
12-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Fairly ridiculous article. My insider sources at Texas indicated that the resurrected Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, and Bear Bryant have all been mentioned as possible candidates. Additionally there are rumors that the University of Texas Genetics department is hard at work on a clone of Bill Bellicheck. Although my sources are not sure that the AD and boosters support the hire of clone Belicheck because it is feared he would attempt to field a team of all 1 and 2 star recruits supplemented by upperclassmen walk-ons.

^---- most legit insider report I've seen in the last month or so.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 05:28 PM

oh man , just when it was about to get good too

lmao

I agree and said so above , it would only happen if they backed up the brinks truck to a sum that was to good to be true for the Tomlin family or they did not make a hire right away and Tomlin got pushed out of the Steelers organization ( then who knows ) ....

chances that it comes to fruition is probably 10% or less

steeldawg
12-11-2013, 06:04 PM
I heard they where going to offer saban 10 years 100 million, not that far fetched they could entice an nfl coach.

oneforthetoe
12-11-2013, 07:02 PM
I heard that John Kuhn is going to coach Texas, Alabama, the Steelers, the Lakers, the Ottawa Senators, and Man United all at the same time.

NCSteeler
12-11-2013, 07:56 PM

That's what she said!

fansince'76
12-12-2013, 01:25 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

cold-hard-steel
12-12-2013, 02:03 AM
according to " ancient astronaught theorists " it could happen .

Hawkman
12-12-2013, 06:49 AM
That's what she said!

A number of times!!:jerkit:

Hindes204
12-12-2013, 09:47 AM
I heard that John Kuhn is going to coach Texas, Alabama, the Steelers, the Lakers, the Ottawa Senators, and Man United all at the same time.

KUUUUUHN!!!!!! He can do it!!

BnG_Hevn
12-12-2013, 11:01 AM

Did he steal the second SB ring from Cowher?

- - - Updated - - -

hmmm, or did he win one with Tampa? Shows you how "Steeler sighted" I am, eh?

Dwinsgames
12-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Did he steal the second SB ring from Cowher?

- - - Updated - - -

hmmm, or did he win one with Tampa? Shows you how "Steeler sighted" I am, eh?

1 in Tampa as DB coach
1 here

MrPgh
12-12-2013, 01:56 PM
While I strongly doubt Tomlin leaves the Steelers after this year, but I could think of two good reasons why he ought to think about it.

1.) Money. If Texas has any hope of prying Tomlin away from the Steelers, they'll have to give him close to 8 figures. Would Tomlin pass that up?

2.) Control. Being that Tomlin doesn't even get to choose his own coordinators with the Steelers, he could have a program in Texas that he can call his own. He could pick his own staff and build a team to play the way he wants it to play. It also helps in this regard that in college there's no salary cap to worry about.

But again, I strongly doubt Tomlin leaves.

NCSteeler
12-12-2013, 02:09 PM
While I strongly doubt Tomlin leaves the Steelers after this year, but I could think of two good reasons why he ought to think about it.

1.) Money. If Texas has any hope of prying Tomlin away from the Steelers, they'll have to give him close to 8 figures. Would Tomlin pass that up?

2.) Control. Being that Tomlin doesn't even get to choose his own coordinators with the Steelers, he could have a program in Texas that he can call his own. He could pick his own staff and build a team to play the way he wants it to play. It also helps in this regard that in college there's no salary cap to worry about.

But again, I strongly doubt Tomlin leaves.

No state taxes in Texas, I'm pretty sure that is a huge raise even if they didn't offer 8 figures . I still think it's just another reporter blowing himself for coming up with the idea.

Dwinsgames
12-15-2013, 11:41 AM
he did not even have to publicly deny interest before his name was stricken from the list http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000297858/article/jimbo-fisher-jim-mora-art-briles-could-be-targets-for-texas?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

60_MINUTES
12-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Money and job security guys. Don't rule that out. He'd get double the money and would actually have better job security IMO. He's 2 more average 8-8 steeler seasons from being out of a job. Maybe one . Also it's easy for us to sit here and think he's a million dollar man so to him there's no difference in 4 mil a year or 8 . Bullshit guys. If he can make 2 to 4 mil a year more. That's huge money to these guys. Huge. That sets one his kids for life.

Dwinsgames
01-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Texas to make hire http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308833/article/reports-louisvilles-charlie-strong-to-be-texas-head-coach and it is not Mike Tomlin LOL

Shoes
01-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Amazing the money these college coaches make.

SteelerFanInStl
01-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Amazing the money these college coaches make.

It's completely ridiculous IMO. They're sure as hell not paying their professors that kind of money. Why don't they use that money to reduce the cost of tuition so that students aren't facing an insurmountable amount of debt when they graduate?

oneforthetoe
01-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Maybe he will take the d coordinator job in Cleveland when Cowher takes the head coaching job.:wave:

tihmtahm
01-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Texas to make hire http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000308833/article/reports-louisvilles-charlie-strong-to-be-texas-head-coach and it is not Mike Tomlin LOL

I can't believe they didn't go with the resurrected Lombardi!

GBMelBlount
01-04-2014, 12:21 PM
It's completely ridiculous IMO. They're sure as hell not paying their professors that kind of money. Why don't they use that money to reduce the cost of tuition so that students aren't facing an insurmountable amount of debt when they graduate?

Football is a source of revenue and the more a football team wins the more revenue and profit they bring in....

...and whether directly or indirectly I would imagine some of the revenue is used to pay professors and subsidize education costs, etc.

Therefore it arguably makes sense it makes sense for a school to invest in a good coach.

They are hard to come by.

SteelMayhem72
01-04-2014, 12:25 PM
I hate college football..really I do!!! Every time a job comes open then names are thrown around just out of the blue and put off as facts like most coaches in the NFL would leave a spot to go and coach college football...unless its a high paying ideal and top collegent team why would any coach in their right mind take a step back...stupid!!

- - - Updated - - -

Football is a source of revenue and the more a football team wins the more revenue and profit they bring in....

...and whether directly or indirectly I would imagine some of the revenue is used to pay professors and subsidize education costs, etc.

Therefore it arguably makes sense it makes sense for a school to invest in a good coach.

That profile pic is fuckin hilarious!!

GBMelBlount
01-04-2014, 12:30 PM
I hate college football..really I do!!! Every time a job comes open then names are thrown around just out of the blue and put off as facts like most coaches in the NFL would leave a spot to go and coach college football...unless its a high paying ideal and top collegent team why would any coach in their right mind take a step back...stupid!!

- - - Updated - - -

That profile pic is fuckin hilarious!!

I would imagine they might need a change of stress or scenery.

Coaching HAS to be one of the most stressful and difficult jobs.

-----------------------

and thanks on the "hilarious" avatar!

I about lost it the first time I saw the the sock he obviously stuck in his panties.

SteelerFanInStl
01-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Of course it is but they've lost focus as to why the school is there in the first place. Why does an undergraduate education at a state university cost $50k+ per student? If they can afford to pay $5M a year to a coach, they can afford to lower the cost of tuition.

SteelMayhem72
01-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Of course it is but they've lost focus as to why the school is there in the first place. Why does an undergraduate education at a state university cost $50k+ per student? If they can afford to pay $5M a year to a coach, they can afford to lower the cost of tuition.

Absolutely correct!!

steelerdude15
01-04-2014, 01:13 PM

Well, there are a lot of factors into the price of tuition. I don't know what they're rates are, but they may be high.

GBMelBlount
01-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Of course it is but they've lost focus as to why the school is there in the first place.

Why does an undergraduate education at a state university cost $50k+ per student?

If they can afford to pay $5M a year to a coach, they can afford to lower the cost of tuition.

How are you suggesting they have lost focus?

Because they are paying market value for a good coach?

Should they pay less and get a crummy coach?....or just drop sports altogether?

After all, are sports REALLY part of real education anyway?

X-Terminator
01-04-2014, 01:25 PM
I can't believe they didn't go with the resurrected Lombardi!

I hear the Browns are interested, though LOL

X-Terminator
01-04-2014, 01:34 PM

If a student is paying that much at a state university, it had better be MIT or CMU. Otherwise they are getting ripped off BIG TIME. At any rate, Pitt charges over $16,000 per academic year ($8000+ per semester), which is pretty much the standard for most state universities. The aforementioned CMU, however, charges $46,670 per academic year for all students, regardless of residency. It's more than that if you major in computer science - about $53,000 per year.

NCSteeler
01-04-2014, 01:37 PM
What I love is how the "Drive By" media slings these things with no recourse. Has Florio retracted his story, apologized for cause=ing all kinds of problems , behind door discussions making Tomlin answer the question and distracting them at every press conference for weeks. No he gets to throw crap out there with no real source or reason, cause whatever harm he wants and then not be held to account when it's all not true, never was, not even close. He cries about refs being down graded, mayeb he should be downgraded by PFT and NBC.

The real problem is even if he ate crow , the splashy headlines make stories, the by line on page 12 retractions/corrections rarely ever get read. Many people still think Richard Jewell when they think of the Olympic bombing

SteelerFanInStl
01-04-2014, 01:41 PM
How are you suggesting they have lost focus?

Because they are paying market value for a good coach?

Should they pay less and get a crummy coach?....or just drop sports altogether?

After all, are sports REALLY part of real education anyway?

I'm not talking about Texas specifically but Universities in general. Their main focus seems to be sports instead of education.

- - - Updated - - -

If a student is paying that much at a state university, it had better be MIT or CMU. Otherwise they are getting ripped off BIG TIME. At any rate, Pitt charges over $16,000 per academic year ($8000+ per semester), which is pretty much the standard for most state universities. The aforementioned CMU, however, charges $46,670 per academic year for all students, regardless of residency. It's more than that if you major in computer science - about $53,000 per year.

And that's a ridiculous amount of money to charge for an education. College graduates are coming out of college with $100k+ of debt and that's just for an undergraduate degree.

X-Terminator
01-04-2014, 02:06 PM
And that's a ridiculous amount of money to charge for an education. College graduates are coming out of college with $100k+ of debt and that's just for an undergraduate degree.

That's why tech schools are booming these days. You get a quality, hands-on education for a fraction of what the major universities charge, AND in most cases, you have a job waiting for you before you graduate. Why run up the debt when you don't have to? Sure, they don't have quality FBS football teams, but that's not why you go to college in the first place.

GBMelBlount
01-04-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm not talking about Texas specifically but Universities in general. Their main focus seems to be sports instead of education.

I'm not sure how you measure focus on "sports" vs. education.

I guess my real question is, in general, does tuition in any way pay for / subsidize the athletic programs at these big schools?

If programs are self sustaining I personally don't have a problem with how much coaches etc. get paid.

However if say $500 or $1,000 of each students tuition goes to subsidize sports then THAT is arguably a big deal.

Godfather
01-04-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure how you measure focus on "sports" vs. education.

I guess my real question is, in general, does tuition in any way pay for / subsidize the athletic programs at these big schools?

If programs are self sustaining I personally don't have a problem with how much coaches etc. get paid.

However if say $500 or $1,000 of each students tuition goes to subsidize sports then THAT is arguably a big deal.

That depends on the university. I know for sure that LSU turns a profit on football, and those profits go to support the library. I would assume Texas is also self-sufficient when it comes to football.