PDA

View Full Version : if the season ended today

Dwinsgames
12-10-2013, 11:08 PM
we would hold the number 10 over all selection

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000288658/article/2014-nfl-draft-order-top-three-needs-for-all-32-teams

st33lersguy
12-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Can't disagree with what they have to say

cold-hard-steel
12-11-2013, 06:19 AM
If the season ended today , which it doesn't , who cares? (LOL)

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
if we continue to select at 10 I would propose this mock effort because we are devoid of young talent and in a cap hell with a lot of open roster spots to fill in 2014

3rd round comp x2
5th round comp x1
Trade Pouncy for a 2nd and 5th
Trade down from 10 to 15 adding a 3rd and 4th
trade down from 15 to 20 gaining another 3rd and 6th

1) Antonio Richardson LT

2A) Gabe Jackson LG

2B) Skov ILB

3) C.J. Fiedorowicz TE

3B) Bishop Sankey, RB ( Bell is the only back under contract for 2014 )

3C) Antone Exum CB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUSyrr9MHBg

3D) Josh Mauro DE exp at 5 technique

4A)Daniel McCullers NT Revised , Prior pick was Tre Boston FS

4B) Stanley Jean-Baptiste FS or Tre Boston FS

5A) Ricardo Allen CB

5B) Jeff Janis WR Yep a small school prospect but the kid can make all the catches and excels in his route running over the shoulder catches in stride never breaking his gate and will go up for the football ( Mike Wallace could learn a few things from this kid )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=earLJlw2qhA

5C) comp selection for Mendenhal Goodell takes away for Tomlin sideline incident

6A)Dakota Dozier OG got turned on to this kid from a friend of mine and started checking him out was shocked at what I seen ! I think you will be too
I know I know I know , I get it he is from Furman and he was a LT there but I contend the game is not to big for him and sliding him inside to guard but still letting him have some reps at T as a swing player at first could prove to go a long ways ... the kids has some really nifty feet here is a game tape of him vs Clemson ( proving to some degree he can move up and step up when the level of talent increases against him )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWApAfiXeeI

6B) Spencer Long, OG

7)L'Damian Washington WR

one side only
12-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Trade down; accumulate picks.

Dwinsgames
12-13-2013, 05:54 PM

my thoughts as well hence the draft mock I put up in this thread

Shoes
12-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Hope I can get through some of your picks this weekend, Dwins. I did check out Skov. I like him….looks quick, and gets to the QB before he gets the ball. :chuckle: . Looks good in coverage and has a nose for the ball. And dang another Stanford guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSkn7uB4QJE

ALLD
12-14-2013, 07:52 AM
It translates into Antonio Brown's left foot is worth a Top #10 pick.

Texasteel
12-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Personaly, I like your mock, but still wonder if we will spend the first two picks on the OL. I like it even better since you added McCullers name. Dozier could be a real find that late in the draft. Might want to rethink Washington though, I am hearing that he may have played himself into the middle of the draft.

st33lersguy
12-14-2013, 09:32 AM
I think the first 2 rounds have to address offensive tackle and defensive back.
OT: Adams and Gilbert can't play, plain and simple. Ben is getting killed out there and he needs a franchise tackle
DB: A lot of age, a lot of starters most certainly gone within the next 2 years, and little depth behind it. Ike Taylor needs a replacement and we need another young safety next to Shamarko Thomas

Dwinsgames
12-14-2013, 10:33 AM
I think the first 2 rounds have to address offensive tackle and defensive back.
OT: Adams and Gilbert can't play, plain and simple. Ben is getting killed out there and he needs a franchise tackle
DB: A lot of age, a lot of starters most certainly gone within the next 2 years, and little depth behind it. Ike Taylor needs a replacement and we need another young safety next to Shamarko Thomas

every bit of that and more was addressed above in the mock .. LT LG CB ILB S NT RB WR and even TE

st33lersguy
12-14-2013, 12:14 PM

I say wait to the 2nd round to trade down, because more than likely we will get a high pick and more than likely a really good prospect at a position of need will be available. That way, we get a top-flight prospect and still accumulate picks. Now if a team from the bottom of the first round ready to win now offers us a trade similar to Atlanta-Cleveland a couple years ago, then that would be hard to pass up.

GBMelBlount
12-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I dunno D.

Personally I would give the offensive line another year of development before spending any more high round picks.

Other than a TE or WR that is too good to pass up I would draft defense.

Dwinsgames
12-14-2013, 03:38 PM
I dunno D.

Personally I would give the offensive line another year of development before spending any more high round picks.

Other than a TE or WR that is too good to pass up I would draft defense.

I understand not wanting to throw picks at the 0-line after already investing so much but Adams is a turd on the left side , ( plays well on the right but they seemingly refuse to use him there ) Gilbert is a turd too and you can't polish turds ....

I think the guys listed can start in fact the first 9 listed in that mock are as good or better than what we have right now IMO ( sure you got to prove it first no anointment's going on ) ...

Move Adams to RT and Gilbert suddenly looks pretty good as depth ....

my issue is this , if we are going to keep Ben we damn sure better start ( and soon ) to protect him or we won't have him long ....

if we are not going to make a proactive effort to protect him then trade him and use the picks to build a line and get his replacement ...

after 30 the hurt takes longer to go away from hits and he is hit plenty , bounce back from injury takes longer too and he has been hampered his entire career with a knee , a thumb , a shoulder , a ankle , another knee , another finger/thumb , ribs etc etc .....

I understand the logic in not trading a " franchise QB " but I also understand he cant help you from the bench or the seat of his pants , he has to be playing and he must be upright so if you do not do everything you can to make sure he remains healthy and on his feet you may as well have any warm body back there ...

GBMelBlount
12-14-2013, 04:59 PM
I understand not wanting to throw picks at the 0-line after already investing so much but Adams is a turd on the left side , ( plays well on the right but they seemingly refuse to use him there ) Gilbert is a turd too and you can't polish turds ....

I think the guys listed can start in fact the first 9 listed in that mock are as good or better than what we have right now IMO ( sure you got to prove it first no anointment's going on ) ...

Move Adams to RT and Gilbert suddenly looks pretty good as depth ....

my issue is this , if we are going to keep Ben we damn sure better start ( and soon ) to protect him or we won't have him long ....

if we are not going to make a proactive effort to protect him then trade him and use the picks to build a line and get his replacement ...

after 30 the hurt takes longer to go away from hits and he is hit plenty , bounce back from injury takes longer too and he has been hampered his entire career with a knee , a thumb , a shoulder , a ankle , another knee , another finger/thumb , ribs etc etc .....

I understand the logic in not trading a " franchise QB " but I also understand he cant help you from the bench or the seat of his pants , he has to be playing and he must be upright so if you do not do everything you can to make sure he remains healthy and on his feet you may as well have any warm body back there ...

Are you referring to the first 9 offensive linemen in the draft? If so, WOW!

Anyway, I remember before the season a lot of people speculated it might take 1/2 a season for the offensive line to get their ducks in a row....and wouldn't you agree they are playing better now than earlier in the year?

I would also venture to say Ben's sacks have been from the first half of the year.

So I guess if there was a value like DeCastro when we picked I could understand LT as offensive linemen ranked in the top 10 have a high success rate in the NFL.

Still, I think it is possible for the "light" to flip on for some of these linemen like Adams and Gilbert in the next year and the rate of improvement for Beachum has been very good.

Dwinsgames
12-14-2013, 06:21 PM

Anyway, I remember before the season a lot of people speculated it might take 1/2 a season for the offensive line to get their ducks in a row....and wouldn't you agree they are playing better now than earlier in the year?

I would also venture to say Ben's sacks have been from the first half of the year.

So I guess if there was a value like DeCastro when we picked I could understand LT as offensive linemen ranked in the top 10 have a high success rate in the NFL.

Still, I think it is possible for the "light" to flip on for some of these linemen like Adams and Gilbert in the next year and the rate of improvement for Beachum has been very good.

sorry should have been more clear , the first 9 guys in my mock ...

I do not see Adams ever being a top flight LT , top flight RT perhaps is not a great reach in goals , Gilbert is nothing more than a quality backup that just so happens to be a starter here and I see his upside as nill , he is all he is ever going to be IMO ( I could be wrong but I doubt it , he just is not that talented )

hard to say if they are " playing better now than before " its been such a mix matched grouping and it seemed to me much of the success was due to Valesco and Decastro playing close to lights out

Partly why I did the mock the way I did was 2 fold ...

1) we already have a lot invested in the line we currently have and it would be hard to continue that investment without supplementation to some degree

2) we need picks and lots of them , our cap situation combined with a lot of open roster spots for 2014 we need a dozen or so players signed to the roster and not much money to do so thus draft picks are the way to obtain that because they come fr cheaper contract wise than FA's and veteran players

with the poucey trade we gain 2 picks

with the double trade down we pick up 4 quality selections and still pick in the first 20 of the draft lessening the burden of more investment on the O-Line

IF we do not invest in the line , I hope I am dead wrong on the ability of the guys we currently have .......

I do Love beachum , he is a football player , he has heart and drive to him , but at the end of the day he is not a true LT that plays on an island , he will always need help to provide Ben adequate protection ..

GBMelBlount
12-14-2013, 08:01 PM
sorry should have been more clear , the first 9 guys in my mock ...

I do not see Adams ever being a top flight LT , top flight RT perhaps is not a great reach in goals , Gilbert is nothing more than a quality backup that just so happens to be a starter here and I see his upside as nill , he is all he is ever going to be IMO ( I could be wrong but I doubt it , he just is not that talented )

hard to say if they are " playing better now than before " its been such a mix matched grouping and it seemed to me much of the success was due to Valesco and Decastro playing close to lights out

Partly why I did the mock the way I did was 2 fold ...

1) we already have a lot invested in the line we currently have and it would be hard to continue that investment without supplementation to some degree

2) we need picks and lots of them , our cap situation combined with a lot of open roster spots for 2014 we need a dozen or so players signed to the roster and not much money to do so thus draft picks are the way to obtain that because they come fr cheaper contract wise than FA's and veteran players

with the poucey trade we gain 2 picks

with the double trade down we pick up 4 quality selections and still pick in the first 20 of the draft lessening the burden of more investment on the O-Line

IF we do not invest in the line , I hope I am dead wrong on the ability of the guys we currently have .......

I do Love beachum , he is a football player , he has heart and drive to him , but at the end of the day he is not a true LT that plays on an island , he will always need help to provide Ben adequate protection ..

I understand your point(s) D...and if we got our hands on a top shelf LT hopefully it will be the final piece necessary for us to have a very good line.

I guess the frustrating part is the economics of the draft because every high draft pick spent on the offensive line takes away from something else.

I may be wrong but haven't we spent 50% of our first two rounds on the offensive line the last four years?

I guess knowing that every early pick spent on the offensive line is arguably at the expense of a cornerback, safety, linebacker or NT (or whatever) is frustrating.

Otherwise, completely agree on trading down and stockpiling picks.

Sigh.

Dwinsgames
12-14-2013, 08:29 PM
I understand your point(s) D...and if we got our hands on a top shelf LT hopefully it will be the final piece necessary for us to have a very good line.

I guess the frustrating part is the economics of the draft because every high draft pick spent on the offensive line takes away from something else.

I may be wrong but haven't we spent 50% of our first two rounds on the offensive line the last four years?

I guess knowing that every early pick spent on the offensive line is arguably at the expense of a cornerback, safety, linebacker or NT (or whatever) is frustrating.

Otherwise, completely agree on trading down and stockpiling picks.

Sigh.

yea I think the double trade down makes it more appealing for me anyways , because it still affords us to take a couple CBs and a S , fill a need at ILB , 5 technique DE and a NT for the def .... and the O still gets a high quality TE RB and a couple WRs ( and one hell of a Guard to go with the tackle ) and potentially some value late with more linemen that can compete for backup jobs

Texasteel
12-15-2013, 01:17 AM

We could get that lucky once again, if Greg Robinson, a red shirt sophomore, decides to enter this years draft. The LT from Auburn is a huge kid with the strength to throw defensive linemen around in the running game and athletic enough to play the left side. He does need work on his footwork in pass blocking, but could help our running game right now. Robinson is thought to land around the tenth pick and is already being penciled in by some as the Steelers first round pick.

Shoes
12-15-2013, 10:17 AM
We could get that lucky once again, if Greg Robinson, a red shirt sophomore, decides to enter this years draft. The LT from Auburn is a huge kid with the strength to throw defensive linemen around in the running game and athletic enough to play the left side. He does need work on his footwork in pass blocking, but could help our running game right now. Robinson is thought to land around the tenth pick and is already being penciled in by some as the Steelers first round pick.

He sure has positive reports from scouting reports. TX, do you know what the deadline is on entering the draft?

Dwinsgames
12-15-2013, 10:57 AM
He sure has positive reports from scouting reports. TX, do you know what the deadline is on entering the draft?

Jan 15th

Shoes
12-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Jan 15th

Thanks Bro!

GBMelBlount
12-15-2013, 02:26 PM

Why is he redshirting as a sophomore. Is the LT ahead of him better?

Also, if he is a redshirt sophomore getting this much attention is it likely he will end up going sooner.

I say this because it SEEMS like a lot of the college players our draftniks pick up on early tend to see their draft stock rise as others catch on.

That is a compliment to our "draftniks" of course. :nerd:

Count Steeler
12-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Also, if he is a redshirt sophomore getting this much attention is it likely he will end up going sooner.

I say this because it SEEMS like a lot of the college players our draftniks pick up on early tend to see their draft stock rise as others catch on.

Yeah. They should post in coded messages.

GBMelBlount
12-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Yeah. They should post in coded messages.

I was not suggesting that people look to our draftniks to form their opinions.

Only that it seems like it takes longer for others to process the same information and arrive at the same conclusion.

Count Steeler
12-15-2013, 04:17 PM
I was not suggesting that people look to our draftniks to form their opinions.

Only that it seems like it takes longer for others to process the same information and arrive at the same conclusion.

Don't be so sure. We have some pretty astute draftniks here. And Jamieson Hemsley as a periodic reader.

GBMelBlount
12-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Don't be so sure. We have some pretty astute draftniks here. And Jamieson Hemsley as a periodic reader.

OK, you were being serious.

Dopey moi (Partially coded in French:lol:)

Count Steeler
12-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Yeah, some of these guys live and breathe the draft. Not my cup of tea, but I learn from them.

Texasteel
12-15-2013, 04:33 PM

He red shirt his freshman year, so he has been in school for 3 years.

The LTs in front of him are better all round at this point, probably because they have had more playing time. Will they be a year from now, I don't know. Like I said he does need work on pass protection, but has all the tools to pick it up, and I see no reason to think he won't fairly quickly. As a run block, he's ready now. I can't promise that he will not go before we get a chance at him, no more than I can promise that we will not draft lower that we are sitting now, but right at this moment he could be there when we draft. Maybe we can get Goodell to move the draft up before the combines.

GBMelBlount
12-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Yeah, some of these guys live and breathe the draft. Not my cup of tea, but I learn from them.

Same here.

My absolute favorite was the general draftnik consensus on Beachum.

...and even Spike got a draftnik bone with Bell. :chuckle:

Texasteel
12-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Don't know what that means, but it sounds dirty.

Texasteel
12-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Same here.

My absolute favorite was the general draftnik consensus on Beachum.

...and even Spike got a draftnik bone with Bell. :chuckle:

This years Beachum may well be Dakota Dozier. Dwins talked about him earlier.

Dwinsgames
12-15-2013, 04:46 PM
This years Beachum may well be Dakota Dozier. Dwins talked about him earlier.

that might be a really good comparison actually

ALLD
12-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Tom Brady throws a pick to end the game and then cries at the podium when he comes out of the closet.

GBMelBlount
12-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Tom Brady throws a pick to end the game and then cries at the podium when he comes out of the closet.

:lol:

http://motivational-ish.com/files/2012/06/Tom-Brady-Motivational-ish.jpg

Dwinsgames
12-16-2013, 10:41 AM
line play has been improved , decent band aids have been applied , but at the end of the day a band aid is a band aid and not a cure ...

lets fix this thing once and for all

Texasteel
12-16-2013, 11:23 AM
line play has been improved , decent band aids have been applied , but at the end of the day a band aid is a band aid and not a cure ...

lets fix this thing once and for all

Your thinking the same thing I am. If the line plays well the rest of the way, will they think" Well we got the line fixed" and forget about an OT.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Your thinking the same thing I am. If the line plays well the rest of the way, will they think" Well we got the line fixed" and forget about an OT.

that is my fear , perceived value will replace real value ( had True in place of real but figured it would end up a bad joke lol )

Steelman
12-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Seeing as how we'll probably be picking around 12-15th, are there/will there be any sure-fire OT's in that range? Just looking at this from a different light. Maybe we can address a different need (ILB - Mosley? WR - Watkins? CB - Purifoy, or even NT - Nix?) at 1.15 and grab an OL at 2.15. (Robinson, Jackson, etc)

I'd hate for us to reach for any ol' OL instead of going BPA, which at this point covers a myriad of positions, especially on the defensive side.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Seeing as how we'll probably be picking around 12-15th, are there/will there be any sure-fire OT's in that range? Just looking at this from a different light. Maybe we can address a different need (ILB - Mosley? WR - Watkins? CB - Purifoy, or even NT - Nix?) at 1.15 and grab an OL at 2.15. (Robinson, Jackson, etc)

I'd hate for us to reach for any ol' OL instead of going BPA, which at this point covers a myriad of positions, especially on the defensive side.

I think ( and our recent draft record shows ) there is a significant drop in talent in terms of LT from round 1 to round 2 IMO perhaps more significant drops in talent level than between any other 2 rounds in succession for LT's ....

That being said I do not see the same level of talent loss at ILB for me the difference in Mosley and Skov is negligible per example .... ( and some of the things I consider when placing up a mock )

as for your question I say yes to talent worthy LT at even 15 , sure as of today we do not know how the draft will play out but there are guys in that 15-20 area worth a shot at ( without reaching )

Cyrus Kouandjio could be on the board as late as 15 but could also go top 10 still some football left and interviews combine etc

Antonio "Tiny" Richardson (18-24ish ) , Cam Erving (17-22 ) , Scherff ( perhaps 22-25 area ) an early run on Tackles could see them all move up a bit and rightfully so .... quality LT's are a commodity that is tough to come by and not a position you are always set up to get a good one in the draft since they most times go off the board so quickly ....

Texasteel
12-16-2013, 06:02 PM

ILB, Mosley IMO is not a sure thing, Skov could be just as good, maybe better. I would through one more nave out there, Chris Borland of Wisconsin.

WR, Forget Watkins, IMO, he's gone. Allen Robinson, and Jordan Matthews might go in the early second, and in my mind is as good as any WR rated ahead of them, except Watkins, Abbrederis is a kid I just love. Street is another kid I like that will go latter.

CB, Purifoy is sliding badly, looks like maybe a late second. If you want a legitimate CB in the first look at Darqueze Dennard, but he could be gone by 15.

NT, In my mind Nix is legit, and could very well be the BPA.

OT I see a huge drop off after Scherff, and he will likely go in the late first round.

It's just my opinion, but unless there is a large talent difference, I'm looking hard a OT.

st33lersguy
12-16-2013, 08:53 PM

We have had success with picking WRs in the later rounds so I think we should wait til then, and Al Woods pretty much eliminated NT as a need last night. I think OT or DB need to be addressed in the first round.

Dwinsgames
12-16-2013, 11:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auKxO1-BBUI

Dwinsgames
12-17-2013, 11:48 AM
updated draft order 12-17-13

1. Texans (2-12)
2. Rams [via Redskins] (3-11)
3. Raiders (4-10) (.485)
4. Jaguars (4-10) (.495)
5. Falcons (4-10) (.533)
6. Browns (4-10) (.536)
7. Bucs (4-10) (.577)
8. Vikings (4-9-1)
9. Bills (5-9) (.510)
10. Titans (5-9) (.541)
11. Giants (5-9) (.551)
12. Steelers (6-8) (.487)
13. Jets (6-8) (.500)
14. Rams (6-8) (.556)

Texasteel
12-17-2013, 06:24 PM
OTs I would think about drafting at 12. Jake Matthews (gone), Greg Robinson (if he comes out), Cyrus Kouandjio, Maybe Cameron Erving. CB I would consider Darqueze Dennard. Other wise I think I would try to trade down.

Dwinsgames
12-17-2013, 08:44 PM
OTs I would think about drafting at 12. Jake Matthews (gone), Greg Robinson (if he comes out), Cyrus Kouandjio, Other wise I think I would try to trade down.

this

anything short of that IMO you have to trade down or your reaching , not a CB on the board at 12-15 I have interest in

Texasteel
12-17-2013, 08:59 PM
I think I've said before that I'm just not that excited about this years CBs. having said that, someone will over draft Dennard. I hope its not us.

Dwinsgames
12-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I think I've said before that I'm just not that excited about this years CBs. having said that, someone will over draft Dennard. I hope its not us.

trust me I am in total agreement , I just do not see that much difference in Dennard and someone like Exum who should be on the board in the middle 3rd then once you equate the cost round vs round and player vs player Exum instantly is the better value ( he is just 1 example several others in that same area talent wise )

SteelerFanInStl
12-17-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm going to keep pushing E.J. Gaines of Mizzou at CB. He completely shut down Mike Evans and had a very good year. All SEC First Team.

- - - Updated - - -

trust me I am in total agreement , I just do not see that much difference in Dennard and someone like Exum who should be on the board in the middle 3rd then once you equate the cost round vs round and player vs player Exum instantly is the better value ( he is just 1 example several others in that same area talent wise )

Is Exum going to play CB in the NFL? He looks more like a Safety to me.

Dwinsgames
12-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Is Exum going to play CB in the NFL? He looks more like a Safety to me.

will depend on who drafts him IMO he has a rare blend of size and speed , he is faster than he looks ( probably because of the bulk he plays at 220-225) watch the guys he covers , he is never " burned" .. plays press man very well , has long arms ... not that he couldn't play S because he certainly has the size and hitting ability to do so ... he is coming off a significant knee injury so his true speed is not back to 100% but he is plenty fast enough , I would say he is faster than Joe Haden and he is doing ok

Dwinsgames
12-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Heard tonight that Sheriff has told Iowa that he will be returning to Iowa next year. I think it is likely a smart decision for him, and great for Iowa.

damn , he may have been our guy too depends on how it all unfolds ( moving this to the 2014 thread via copy paste )