PDA

View Full Version : ROBINSON: Roethlisberger defends Haley — again

vader29
12-10-2013, 02:42 PM
By Alan Robinson

Ben Roethlisberger is going from offense to defense – yet again, he is defending Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Following the 34-28 loss Sunday to the Dolphins, Roethlisberger was asked why Le’Veon Bell was used sparingly as a running back in the second half. Bell touched the ball an equal amount of times in each half, but his primary role past halftime was as a receiver.

Roethlisberger responded by saying, “No idea. Coach Haley’s over there. You can ask him.”

The comments were like several made previously by the quarterback following games this season, and were interpreted by some as him being critical of the play-calling.

But Roethlisberger strongly denied that during his weekly 93.7 FM radio show Tuesday, saying he and the coordinator have an excellent relationship in an offense that he said is working. The Steelers are No. 16 in the league offensively.

“It was taken way out of context. There is absolutely no issue between coach
Haley and I,” Roethlisberger said on the radio show. “I love where this offense is right now.”

He added, “No way, shape or form was it directed negatively at him. I think the offense is as good as it’s been in a long time. We’ve got guys doing some great things. I genuinely am enjoying this offense and what coach Haley is doing with it and where we’re going. We’re getting better every week, and I think we can keep getting better.”

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/12/10/robinson-roethlisberger-defends-haley-again/#ixzz2n6gEsVbS

one side only
12-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Roethlisberger's understanding of the reasons why Bell was used sparingly and his "love" for the offense are not mutually exclusive. The coaches don't involve him in gameplanning; what else is he supposed to say?

zulater
12-10-2013, 02:52 PM
16th in the league isn't bad when you consider the state of the offensive line this season. Going into next year the biggest concern for the offense is that it's time to start thinking about finding Heath's replacement. And you either got to resign Sanders or find someone comparable or better to plug in. I'd try to keep him if you can find the right number. Wheaton hasn't shown me a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of finding Miller's eventual replacement, I was really hoping they were going to draft Tyler Eifort this year.

one side only
12-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Based on how this offense is designed, Ben reliance on Miller in the past, the trend toward multiple TE formations in the NFL and the difficulty in defending them, the real possibility that Heath Miller may never be the same as a result of his injuries combined with his years played, tight end was the Steelers number 1 area of need entering the 2013 draft. Add in to the mix that Jarvis Jones was not going to start based on the complexity of the defense and the learning curve for rookies, Tyler Eifert was the obvious choice.

Dwinsgames
12-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Speaking of finding Miller's eventual replacement

C.J. Fiedorowicz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhajt-X2W-4

Craic
12-10-2013, 03:32 PM
16th in the league isn't bad when you consider the state of the offensive line this season. Going into next year the biggest concern for the offense is that it's time to start thinking about finding Heath's replacement. And you either got to resign Sanders or find someone comparable or better to plug in. I'd try to keep him if you can find the right number. Wheaton hasn't shown me a thing.

I agree with about 95% of this post. Where I disagree is Wheaton. It's not that I think he's torn the place up (he hasn't) or that he's proven himself (he hasn't), but rather, with three veteran receivers in front of him and very limited opportunities, I'm not really worried about where Wheaton is at this point. I'll focus more on him in camp next summer.

jb500ex
12-10-2013, 10:17 PM
16 th is yards, yards don't mean a thing

Hindes204
12-11-2013, 04:56 AM
16 th is yards, yards don't mean a thing

Ill tell you some yards that mean a thing...1004. That's out total rushing yards this season, 31st in the league

BnG_Hevn
12-11-2013, 12:02 PM
If you get the ball at your 1 yard line and move it 98 yards (in passing) to the opponents 1 yard line, then fumble the ball to the opponents, tell me what good that 98 yards of offense is to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Other than stats of course.

Shoes
12-11-2013, 02:17 PM
C.J. Fiedorowicz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhajt-X2W-4

Wow, a big TE that can block and catch. What round for this guy, Dwins?

one side only
12-11-2013, 02:18 PM
If you get the ball at your 1 yard line and move it 98 yards (in passing) to the opponents 1 yard line, then fumble the ball to the opponents, tell me what good that 98 yards of offense is to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Other than stats of course.

Depends on the score at the time, time left, how much time this 98 yard drive took off the clock, and other factors. Lots of good could come as a result of this scenario, including forcing a turnover or a 3 and out. Having success with the pass provides indicators of what types of plays work against the opponent's defense. This scenario is exponentially better than going 3 and out from your own 1.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Wow, a big TE that can block and catch. What round for this guy, Dwins?

late 2 to mid 3 at this point is what I figure , then again I had Brandon Weeden as a late 3rd rounder so who knows when it unfolds only takes 1 team to be in love and watch the kid walk to the podium

one side only
12-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Fiedorowicz looks good in that Steeler-inspired Iowa uniform. Love the block numbers (that's an inside joke some will get).

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Fiedorowicz looks good in that Steeler-inspired Iowa uniform. Love the block numbers (that's an inside joke some will get).

:chuckle:

got to sprinkle some draft stuff around the forum a little bit to hopefully inspire some more people to get interested in it and kick start the draft section of the forum a bit

steeldawg
12-11-2013, 06:09 PM
I like Austin sefarian Jenkins and eric ebron.