PDA

View Full Version : Looking into 2014, who will stay and who wil go?

XxKnightxX
12-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Simple as the title says it. Who will stay and who will go as far as players and coaches. I think Haley is slowly saving himself from the bread line. I cant say much bad about Bicknell its a toss up.

As far as players. Join me in the Woodley hate bandwagon. This guy MUST go. He is dead weight at this point. Were better off letting the young guns play in the defense and free up some cap space, or just take the hit for the year.

I say were 2 years away from real contention, but there has to be some serious cleaning up to do in the locker room.

blackngldblood
12-08-2013, 05:10 PM
If they don't find a way to sign Worilds after this season, then it will show their stupidity in the front office. No questions, just get it done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MrPgh
12-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Simple as the title says it. Who will stay and who will go as far as players and coaches. I think Haley is slowly saving himself from the bread line. I cant say much bad about Bicknell its a toss up.

As far as players. Join me in the Woodley hate bandwagon. This guy MUST go. He is dead weight at this point. Were better off letting the young guns play in the defense and free up some cap space, or just take the hit for the year.

I say were 2 years away from real contention, but there has to be some serious cleaning up to do in the locker room.

Considering they fired Arians after a 12-4 season, why should Haley be safe?

steelerdude15
12-08-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't think any coaches will be fired, however, we could see the retirement of Dick. I'm not saying its going to happen nor have their been any articles stating it, but you never know what the future holds. Player wise, I don't think Ziggy or Manny will be back. I'm fine with both of them leaving to be honest. I think Felix Jones will not be on the team either. I would like for the Steelers to resign Fernando. I think he could make a good starting guard or center and he could be an excellent back up if he didn't start.

fansince'76
12-08-2013, 05:24 PM

Exactly. He's also about to go to 8-5 with largely the same team that Whisenhunt went 5-11 with last year. Maybe Arians isn't quite as clueless as his detractors claim.

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 05:26 PM
haley will stay because we will have just enough low 20 point games to fool people into thinking we are actually any good on offense. bicknell will stay because the fact that we have a ton of O-line injuries will fool people into thinking he's any good as an O-line coach.

ziggy hood, maurkice pouncey, and jason worilds will be gone. And people will long at last realize how dumb we have been in our handling of the salary cap.

only way worilds will stay is if the coaches keep him at ROLB, where he is less successful, and thus his price tag will go down

- - - Updated - - -

wrong way to look at it. How did the OFFENSE do during that 12-4 season? yeah exactly...

zulater
12-08-2013, 05:28 PM
The day after this season's over on exit interviews you let Troy, Ryan, Keisel,, and Ike know they're done as Steelers. Same with Woodley. You can't stay married to the 2008 defense anymore. Same goes for LeBeau. Love the guy, but it's time to move on.

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 05:40 PM
The day after this season's over on exit interviews you let Troy, Ryan, Keisel,, and Ike know they're done as Steelers. Same with Woodley. You can't stay married to the 2008 defense anymore. Same goes for LeBeau. Love the guy, but it's time to move on.

of those 5, only ryan clark and keisel have contracts that actually expire after this season. So if we were to cut any of the other 3, we might as well cut all of them to eat all of the dead money together. damn thats a lot of money

dislocatedday
12-08-2013, 05:50 PM
There are still some good pieces on this team, and some good young talent to build a foundation for the future. I think the team does need a significant overhaul in areas, but I do not feel it is a "blow up the team and start from scratch" scenario. Here is who should go IMO:

1) Woodley - Declare him a June 1st cap cut and spread his dead money over the next 2 years.
2) Ike Taylor- I think age has finally caught up to him. He's just not worth the salary he is commanding at this stage. If he can move to free safety (ala Rod Woodson) and take a pay cut, I'd would not mind that scenario.
3) Ryan Clark - I think his contract is up after this year anyway so no cap consequences. I appreciate all he has done in his Steelers career, but he hit that age wall this year much like Hines and Farrior did towards the end of their careers.
4) Emmanuel Sanders - No reason to bring him back. I think he is easily replaceable.
5) Ziggy Hood - Let him walk. He is not worth the pay raise of a second contract.
6) Marcus Gilbert - Get rid of him and give Mike Adams a year as the RT to see if he can develop into a good player at that spot.
7) Curtis Brown - I think him being gone is a foregone conclusion as he is a free agent after this year.

On the coaching side, I have nothing but respect and admiration for Lebeau, but I think it is time to let somebody else have a shot at running the Steelers defense. I also think Haley should go, especially if he and Ben really do not see eye to eye the direction of this offense.

There are other guys that I don't think should necessarily be off the team, but I do think they would be better served in backup roles. I'm thinking of Steve McLendon and Ramon Foster as guys who are solid backups, but below average starters.

I think the team should keep Troy around for at least for one more year, unless they end up needing to clear more cap room and have no other way. His dead money due to his prorated signing bonus if they cut him is not that great I believe, and his cap savings are pretty big. However, I would really like to see Troy retire a Steeler, and I think he is still playing at a pro bowl level. I also think they must find a way to keep Worilds, who has been playing like a beast for several weeks now. I'm sold on him at this stage. I also think they should keep Fernando Velasco. He made an impact from day 1. Perhaps try him at LG next season when Pouncey returns. If Pouncey ends up not being worth a large salary after next season, then let him walk and move Velasco back to C.

I think this team really needs to bring in help at the left offensive tackle position, get a nose tackle that can really plug the middle and take on double teams consistently, get another inside linebacker who is a tackling machine to play alongside Timmons, and somehow find a starting caliber CB.

I really do think there are some good young players on this team who might turn out to be great. This list includes Heyward, Worilds, DeCastro, and Leveon Bell. Other young guys who still have much promise are Cortez Allen, Jarvis Jones, Shamarko Thomas, Markus Wheaton, and Kelvin Beachum.

blackngldblood
12-08-2013, 05:50 PM
haley will stay because we will have just enough low 20 point games to fool people into thinking we are actually any good on offense. bicknell will stay because the fact that we have a ton of O-line injuries will fool people into thinking he's any good as an O-line coach.

ziggy hood, maurkice pouncey, and jason worilds will be gone. And people will long at last realize how dumb we have been in our handling of the salary cap.

only way worilds will stay is if the coaches keep him at ROLB, where he is less successful, and thus his price tag will go down

- - - Updated - - -

wrong way to look at it. How did the OFFENSE do during that 12-4 season? yeah exactly...

The only thing not gonna happen with what you say is Pouncey has a fifth year contract option. We'll have him for one more year. I'm gonna be pretty upset when Worilds goes bye bye.....

MrPgh
12-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Sounds like you're implying the Steelers are piss poorly managed.

The Steelers didn't know when it was time to say goodbye to vets on defense, so they kept trying to squeeze one more year out of guys and crippled themselves cap-wise with guys that are washed up.

- - - Updated - - -

Better than it's doing now.

ALLD
12-08-2013, 06:02 PM
It is easier to say to keep:
BB
A Brown
Miller
Worilds
Heyward
Bell
DeCastro
Jones
Timmons
Wheaton
Polamalu

Everybody else is expendable.

stillers4me
12-08-2013, 06:21 PM
We'd be stupid to let Cotchery finish his career anywhere but Pittsburgh. And Shamwow isn't going anywhere.

LLT
12-08-2013, 06:25 PM

12th in total offense...11th in yards per play...4th in third down conversions

What killed us that year was the turnovers. Only three teams worse than us in the league.

st33lersguy
12-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Release Ike, he's done, fire LeBeau, Clark and Troy are probably gone. The o-line needs revamped. Fire the O-line coach

dislocatedday
12-08-2013, 06:29 PM
We'd be stupid to let Cotchery finish his career anywhere but Pittsburgh. And Shamwow isn't going anywhere.

You're right. I meant to put Cotchery on my list of guys we should keep as well. A sure-handed veteran receiver in the slot whom Ben trusts is a valuable asset.

stillers4me
12-08-2013, 06:31 PM
I just don't agree about Troy. Not this year. We have too many positions in the secondary to address and too few Draft picks to let someone with his value go.

blackngldblood
12-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I don't want to sound like a complete fool, but who is Shamwow? Shamarko? Serious question.

stillers4me
12-08-2013, 06:39 PM
I don't want to sound like a complete fool, but who is Shamwow? Shamarko? Serious question.

You are correct, sir.

blackngldblood
12-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Lol, thanks! I like that kid alit! Needs mucho developemento!

stillers4me
12-08-2013, 06:49 PM
If the football gods show even a smidgen of mercy to us for a change, Sean Spence will be on the field and he will be 3/4 the player he started out to be.

steelreserve
12-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I think we can say goodbye to:

Clark
Kiesel
Hood
Pouncey (via trade)
Taylor
Paulson (please god)
F. Jones
Sanders

Of course, with Pouncey, the logical thing to do would be trade him and get something in return, but I don't think the current FO is smart enough to do that. So most likely we'll take the team option and get him on a one-year rental, then he'll sign with Minnesota or somewhere for $10M per. I also think we're morons if we don't dump Woodley and finally get that train wreck over with ... but we'll probably hang onto him all the same.

The coaching staff, that could go either way. If Tomlin stays, probably everyone stays except maybe we get a new OL coach. If we lose a couple more games and Tomlin is shitcanned (which I am probably in favor of, truthfully), then we might get a whole new set, HC, OC, DC and some position coaches. Hopefully OL, because if there's one place we need it, that's it.

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Sounds like you're implying the Steelers are piss poorly managed.
The Steelers didn't know when it was time to say goodbye to vets on defense, so they kept trying to squeeze one more year out of guys and crippled themselves cap-wise with guys that are washed up.
- - - Updated - - -

They're not? I sure think they are. Its not just this year though, its the accumulation of poor drafting and poor management over many seasons that has led us to today.

Better than it's doing now.

What killed us that year was the turnovers. Only three teams worse than us in the league.

When you're offense kills its team by turning the ball over that many times, it still sucks ass. especially since you forgot the only stat that matters: 21st in points scored. the offense has never been the reason we've won over the summation of an entire season. this season is no different, the offense is efficiently/deficiently the same.

KeiselPower99
12-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Love how someone said the o line needs revamped. We just did that this year. Other then a LG Im content with Adams/Beachum LG Pouncey/Velasco Decastro and Gilbert. I really like what Velasco did for us this year.

Devilsdancefloor
12-08-2013, 08:00 PM

what really killed us is the D isnt top 5 hiding all the flaws of the O

But i cant see us keeping woodley ever since he signed his big contract he has done notta but be on the sidelines half the season hurt

sanders is gone for sure not worth it unless it is for vet minimum

ike lost a serious step

ziggy can come back as a back up and get paid like one

cotchery same deal as now

Cbrown gone
Lbrown gone
da beard gone
R clark gone
im sure i can think of a few more but that is a good start

LLT
12-08-2013, 09:01 PM
When you're offense kills its team by turning the ball over that many times, it still sucks ass. .

If your offense kills its team through turnovers....its simplistic and silly to blame the offensive coordinator.

especially since you forgot the only stat that matters: 21st in points scored.

No...I didnt forget that stat. Just thought it was too obvious to mention that you don't score if you turn the ball over.

salamander
12-09-2013, 12:43 AM
I can't pinpoint who the Steelers will keep, but I'm sure they'll screw it up and keep the wrong guys and let the correct guys walk.

st33lersguy
12-09-2013, 12:54 AM
What this team needs is a top 5 draft pick. Of course that 3 game winning streak took them out of the running for that

fansince'76
12-09-2013, 01:25 AM
What this team needs is a top 5 draft pick. Of course that 3 game winning streak took them out of the running for that

A top-5 pick guarantees nothing. Tanking on purpose for a better pick is bush league bullshit. If Tomlin condones that then I WILL want him fired.

blackngldblood
12-09-2013, 02:26 AM
A top-5 pick guarantees nothing. Tanking on purpose for a better pick is bush league bullshit. If Tomlin condones that then I WILL want him fired.

Could you imagine walking into a room full of professional athletes and tell them to go out and waste a year of their careers and stink the joint out so we can be better in the future? Ridiculous....

oneforthetoe
12-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Could you imagine walking into a room full of professional athletes and tell them to go out and waste a year of their careers and stink the joint out so we can be better in the future? Ridiculous....

That's why that argument never held water with me. Every year some team is a accused of "tanking" to get a a better draft pick and I can never figure out the "how." Why would a ten year vet play poorly on purpose so the team can draft a guy more likely to take his job? It just doesn't make any sense.

steelreserve
12-09-2013, 02:49 PM
That's why that argument never held water with me. Every year some team is a accused of "tanking" to get a a better draft pick and I can never figure out the "how." Why would a ten year vet play poorly on purpose so the team can draft a guy more likely to take his job? It just doesn't make any sense.

Look at what the Colts did two years ago, or the Warriors did in the NBA. Keep players in there far too long who aren't getting the job done, shut down key players for half the season due to "injury," manage things to make it more difficult. It may not be possible to actively throw a single game because yes, the players are going to try to win. But you can definitely stack the odds against yourself from a management point of view.

Dwinsgames
12-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Exactly. He's also about to go to 8-5 with largely the same team that Whisenhunt went 5-11 with last year. Maybe Arians isn't quite as clueless as his detractors claim.

just to play devils advocate exactly how many guys did the whiz have to play at QB last year ( and they all blew chunks )

- - - Updated - - -

If the football gods show even a smidgen of mercy to us for a change, Sean Spence will be on the field and he will be 3/4 the player he started out to be.

3/4 wont be good enough ... it is debatable if he is at 100% if he is good enough to be an every down NFL Linebacker in the 3-4

Bluecoat96
12-10-2013, 06:55 PM

I can totally see that....if you're an assbag like Jim Irsay. (Andrew Luck)

st33lersguy
12-10-2013, 07:17 PM
At least 2 of the following will not be part of the 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers

Troy Polamalu
Ike Taylor
Ryan Clark

blackngldblood
12-10-2013, 08:00 PM

Troy Polamalu
Ike Taylor
Ryan Clark
Ryan and Ike. Let Troy play his contract out and retire, hopefully

one side only
12-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Troy Polamalu
Ike Taylor
Ryan Clark

Clark = finished, spent, done. He will be a talking head somewhere.

Taylor = cut, or move to safety with a large pay decrease

Troy = cut, not only because he's lost a step and a half, but the "Where's #43 going to line up; what's #43 going to do?" mystique must be expunged from the defense immediately.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2013, 07:25 PM
i wouldnt mind seeing ike and troy at safety (if we had to keep both) for their final contract year. If shamarko thomas is everything Lake says he can be, surely he'll be good for a lot of playing time next season, and blossom into a good starter in his 3rd.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2013, 08:13 PM
i wouldnt mind seeing ike and troy at safety (if we had to keep both) for their final contract year. If shamarko thomas is everything Lake says he can be, surely he'll be good for a lot of playing time next season, and blossom into a good starter in his 3rd.

the problem I have is we are not seeing play making ability ( on the ball ) from our secondary , moving Ike to S does not help us any in that capacity ... would be nice to have a ball hawk in that pos